PDA

View Full Version : Shilling spreading the love for A-Rod

habernac
10-28-2004, 11:37 AM
"I think if we get A-Rod, we don't get here"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/fallclassic/...tory?id=1911287 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/fallclassic/news/story?id=1911287)

I'd never heard before that he was a problem in his own clubhouse, but there have been rumblings the last few weeks that he's just a tad on the high maintenance side.

dirk diggler
10-28-2004, 04:07 PM
The Yankees have too many high profile guys, they dont have the guys who will get their hands dirty. if you look at some of thier heroes of the past, guys like Broscious, Boone, Leyritz... now they have guys making 15 million sitting on the bench ( giambi) and 15 million dollar pitchers who cant get past the 2nd inning ( brown).... i agree with Schilling, look at the character guys like Kevin Millar, Veritek, etc..... that will win out over big budgets, ala 2004 calgary flames

calculoso
10-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Doesn't that imply that Boston, with the second highest payroll in the MLB, would have a low budget? It's just not the case.

I think it just means they're getting quality, character, and ability, instead of just ability for their money. A good decision for sure.

Sylvanfan
10-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Remind me how Texas did this year without A-Rod and with Soriano? Oh yeah, thats right they went from joke of the league last place team to a team that was contending for the division on the last weekend of the season. A-Rod is far from entirely to blame as the Mariners racked up some nice records when he was in the lineup. But that was before he was making 25 million a season too.

Funny how the Red Sox went from having A-Rod at short, to staying with Nomar at short to replacing him with Orlando Cabrera. Who would have thought that they would be World Series champs with Cabrera over those two? Clubhouse chemistry is far greater than the skills of any one player.

JiriHrdina
10-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Frankly, I don't see why Schilling needs to come out with comments like this. He's just won the world series - why come out and publically berate a guy like this? I just don't get it.

browna
10-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Schilling seems to like the sound of his own voice.
After the Yankees series, he starts ripping on A-rod for the play when he tried knocking the ball out of the pitchers glove, calling it gutless and classless. A bit extreme for what's a gut reaction in a lot of people's mind.
He's never played with him, and he's got as much knowledge of him as a teammate as I do.

Sounds like something personal, but Schilling's trying to play it in a bigger theatre, simply because at this point, the whole baseball world is listening to him.

habernac
10-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Maybe A Rod is a goof, and Schilling is the only one with the cajones to say it publicly.

nfotiu
10-29-2004, 09:34 AM
As a Red Sox fan I never liked the idea of A-Rod coming over anyway in terms of pure talent. Manny is a better hitter.

Manny-Healthy Nomar is probably better than Unnamed LF/A-rod. The difference in offence between Manny and his replacement(unless it somehow ended up being Vlad) is larger than the offensive difference between A-rod and Nomar. As it turned out, OC ended up being the short stop when it counted. OC's defence is better than A-Rod's, and he more than held his own offensively during the stretch run and the post season. All attitudes aside, we probably don't win the world series without Manny's bat.

RedHot25
10-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Schilling is interesting...

Now this is UNCONFIRMED, but I am pretty sure that I heard on the radio today about Curt backing George Bush for president (apparently he said this sometime while being interviewed), and then good ole Bush apparently phoned him up and invited him to come on air force one and campaign with him.

Think it was the Jim Rome show that I heard this.

Sylvanfan
10-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by RedHot25@Oct 29 2004, 10:43 PM

Now this is UNCONFIRMED, but I am pretty sure that I heard on the radio today about Curt backing George Bush for president (apparently he said this sometime while being interviewed), and then good ole Bush apparently phoned him up and invited him to come on air force one and campaign with him.

Well considering that Schilling is a multi millionaire this doesn't surprise me at all. I'm sure most players in MLB would love more tax cuts.

Cowboy
10-31-2004, 04:54 PM
Well I like A Rod, he seems like a good enough guy. I don't have enough of a oppinion about that 250 million dollar deal and what it did to baseball because I don't care enough about baseball and that is the same reason I don't mind the Yankees. Schilling thought he was god when he was pitching on the mound with his ankle. I think Stevie Y's performance 3 years ago in the playoffs blows that out of the water.

For the record I even wanted to see Schilling win, untill he started opening his mouth, his whole ankle story probably would have become even a bigger deal if it wasn't for Schilling himself thinking it was such a great performance.

RedHot25
11-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Sylvanfan+Oct 29 2004, 11:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sylvanfan @ Oct 29 2004, 11:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RedHot25@Oct 29 2004, 10:43 PM

Well considering that Schilling is a multi millionaire this doesn't surprise me at all. I'm sure most players in MLB would love more tax cuts. [/b][/quote]
Ok, this is confirmed. Or at least to the extent that Curt Schilling introduced George Bush at a very recent campaign stop. Interesting I guess...also heard an interview where Theo (epstein, the GM) is a democratic supporter. Ha oh well.