PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Masters

ricoFlame
04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
well, the masters starts tomorrow and it's time for predictions. If i leave woods and phil out of the mix, i'd go with stenson as a solid pick this year, but who knows. anybody else have a pick for this year?

Sylvanfan
04-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Well I think local guy Howell will stand up best against Tiger and Phill. But I just don't know how you can bet against Tiger. Great weekend for sports though with the Masters, Baseball starting up, and of course hockey.

OILFAN #81
04-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Can't bet against Tiger. Other then Woods and Mickelson, my predictions of who will also be in the top 5? Singh, Goosen and Ogilvy.

The Goon
04-05-2007, 07:51 AM
This is my favourite sports event of the year.

I'm hoping for a bunch of new faces near the top (Paul Casey, Henrik Stenson, Luke Donald) but I think we'll be seeing Tiger, Vijay, Phil on Sunday.

It would be nice if Sergio could finally take that step up and win a major.

transplant99
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
For those that would like to watch on-line...(at least amen corner)

http://www.masters.org/en_US/index.html

Just watched someone score 8 on the par 3 12th hole.

Weir is even through 9.

Els is +5 through 8.

ricoFlame
04-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Just watched someone score 8 on the par 3 12th hole.

Yeesh, tough break

transplant99
04-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Weir blows up on the back 9 to finish at +3.

Mickelson was at +6 but has just scored back to back birdies to go to +4.

Tigers round has been uneventful so far but is facing a tough up and down for par at the 7th.

fanforever1986
04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
And so goes the chances for a Canadian to win. Ah well. Go Tiger.

Sylvanfan
04-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Well overall scoring is up today. Wetterich (sp?) and Justin Rose are the only two players to get in below 70. I think theres only like 10 players under par so far. Woods with a bogey-bogey finish to shoot 73. Looks like it will be a dry weekend which is supposed to help out the guys who are shot makers as opposed to the all out bomber types or so they say. Really all you have to do in this tourney is stay within 5 or so shots going into the weekend and than see how others respond to the pressure of being at the top of the Leaderboard at the Masters.

ricoFlame
04-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Well overall scoring is up today. Wetterich (sp?) and Justin Rose are the only two players to get in below 70. I think theres only like 10 players under par so far. Woods with a bogey-bogey finish to shoot 73. Looks like it will be a dry weekend which is supposed to help out the guys who are shot makers as opposed to the all out bomber types or so they say. Really all you have to do in this tourney is stay within 5 or so shots going into the weekend and than see how others respond to the pressure of being at the top of the Leaderboard at the Masters.

yep that is so true. i remember one year els shot 80 in the first round and 67 in the second round...a 13 shot difference. things can really happen on that course, especially if the putts start dropping for someone to save pars.

moon
04-05-2007, 06:20 PM

Certainly true especially with who the guys are at the top.

That is the one reason that I still have hope that Phil can come back to win it. I would say that he is at the cusp of still having a chacne but it being Augusta and the way he can get birdies if he is able to put together a round of -4 or 5 tomorrow I think he could get it done over the weekend. However, he also could put up another +4 with his driving.

Bobblehead
04-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Looking very windy out there today.

Sylvanfan
04-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Well the course is just nasssssty this week. After Saturdays 3rd round the leader is Stuart Appleby at +2. Woods at +3 will be in the final pairing on Sunday, so that won't be intimidating or anything for Appleby. Retief Goosen started the day tied for last place, got out early and was the only player in the entire field under par. If he shoots 70 again tommorrow, he might just win. Todaya final paring guys cracked under pressure with Clark shooting 80 and Wetterich firing an 83. Final pairings will be
Sabbatini/Mickelson
Goosen/Dredge
Vaughn Taylor/Zach Johnson
Harrington/Rose
Woods/Appleby

Anyone in that final 10 who shoots 72 or better has a good shot at winning this tourney.

transplant99
04-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Just looking at early results from those on the course this morning and it doesnt appear that the numbers are considerably lower. Granted there are far more under par early in the round than at any point yesterday, but looking down the list its 3, 4, 5 over or more in the majority.

The tournament committee decided late yesterday to make the pins much more accessible for todays round, particularly on the back 9 so we should hear a bunch more Augusta type roars than we have the first 3 rounds combined. Also the wind has died down somewhat making club choice a bit easier though no less imperative.

Hard to see anyone but Tiger winning this though, even though he struggled late yesterday he stayed out on the range for a couple hours with Stevie and his coach straightening out both his swing and his head.

Jiggy_12
04-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I can't help but cheer for Tiger in this one. The guy is just impressive.

moon
04-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I can't help but cheer for Tiger in this one. The guy is just impressive.

I'm the opposite I can't help but cheer against him. To me the guy has no appeal whatsoever and they way he drops f-bombs and bitches at the fans I hope he loses every time he goes out. Not to add all the BS we will have to listen to about him again if he wins. It will be bad no matter what but at least if he loses it will only be talked about for about ahlf the time if he wins.

Yesterday I couldn't decide if I wanted the leaders to drop back so Phil would have a chance or do well to keep Tiger out of the last grouping. CBS is going to be sickening with the coverage of Tiger today and Nance basically sucking him off no matter what he does.

Jiggy_12
04-08-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm the opposite I can't help but cheer against him. To me the guy has no appeal whatsoever and they way he drops f-bombs and bitches at the fans I hope he loses every time he goes out. Not to add all the BS we will have to listen to about him again if he wins. It will be bad no matter what but at least if he loses it will only be talked about for about ahlf the time if he wins.

Yesterday I couldn't decide if I wanted the leaders to drop back so Phil would have a chance or do well to keep Tiger out of the last grouping. CBS is going to be sickening with the coverage of Tiger today and Nance basically sucking him off no matter what he does.

Well, he pretty much deserves all the credit he gets.

transplant99
04-08-2007, 11:49 AM
CBS is going to be sickening with the coverage of Tiger today and Nance basically sucking him off no matter what he does

I simply don't understand this line of thinking.

Since he won the Masters the first time in 97, prize money has TRIPLED....for everyone.

he has taken golf to another level in the American sports scene.

he is, already, one of the best players to EVER play the game, and maybe the best ever considering how much more competition he has versus what those in decades past faced.

Nantz and any other network HAS to pay him homage....what are they supposed to do? Not talk about him? He's in the final pairing for god sakes.

Just a note...when tiger is in contention, viewership rises almost 50% from when he isn't. Hmmm...wonder why networks would give him any coverage.

moon
04-08-2007, 11:51 AM
I simply don't understand this line of thinking.

Since he won the Masters the first time in 97, prize money has TRIPLED....for everyone.

he has taken golf to another level in the American sports scene.

he is, already, one of the best players to EVER play the game, and maybe the best ever considering how much more competition he has versus what those in decades past faced.

Nantz and any other network HAS to pay him homage....what are they supposed to do? Not talk about him? He's in the final pairing for god sakes.

Just a note...when tiger is in contention, viewership rises almost 50% from when he isn't. Hmmm...wonder why networks would give him any coverage.

Doesn't mean that I will enjoy it.

He deerves all the credit that he gets but the amount of overexposure that sport media gives anyone who is top at the time is nausiating. The Patroits, The Yankees, Tiger Woods, Lance ARmstrong etc.

To me it is always overdone and whether deserved or not does not diminish that fact that it is overkill.

moon
04-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Well Phil with the triple bogey on the first taking him out of any shot he ahd at winning, so I guess it is go Appleby go now.

Jiggy_12
04-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Doesn't mean that I will enjoy it.

He deerves all the credit that he gets but the amount of overexposure that sport media gives anyone who is top at the time is nausiating. The Patroits, The Yankees, Tiger Woods, Lance ARmstrong etc.

To me it is always overdone and whether deserved or not does not diminish that fact that it is overkill.

To the victor go the spoils, and as it should be.

A vast minority want to watch the losers. Thats just the way sports work.

moon
04-08-2007, 12:20 PM
To the victor go the spoils, and as it should be.

A vast minority want to watch the losers. Thats just the way sports work.

I understand that. I just think it is unfortunate that it is a guy like Tiger that gets it. It would be nicer if he weren't such a jerk and constantly blaming others for his mistakes. I understand he is great and competitve but his constant glaring at fans, swearing, using Steve to grab cameras etc. is not the way I would think he should act.

Tiger is probably the second best golfer ever and when his career is done will most likely be considered the best by many. I respect his ability just not the way he handles himself on the golf course.

I guess I just don't see the appeal in watching him play. I know he wins more times than others but to me that isn't interesting at all. I would like to see what others guys are doing every now and again but that is not what the peons want to see so CBS will have the 24 hrs of Tiger coverage again. I will still watch and find times to enjoy it.

Editted to add: When you say a vast minority want to watch the losers Tiger is often promenently shown when losing a tournament, especially at the Masters. I guess people don't mind watching some losers.

Jiggy_12
04-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Wow that putt by Sabatini (sp?) was one of the best I've seen.

moon
04-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Wow that putt by Sabatini (sp?) was one of the best I've seen.

Hopefully this year he can avoid posting a 12 on Hole 15 like he did a few years ago on Sunday.

It seems every round someone Tin Cups that hole. Yesterday Ogilvy put it into the water twice from teh same spot. I think Harrington had trouble there as well.

J pold
04-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Appleby’s sweater is off now he means business

Jiggy_12
04-08-2007, 01:48 PM
This is great!

5 different golfers have held the lead today, and the final pairing is only through 6 holes.

iggypop
04-08-2007, 03:04 PM
4 tied for the lead, this is going to be a great finish!

moon
04-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I know that Tiger causes a lot of the breaks to go his way but he gets a lot of good bounces/rolls at Augusta as well. That ball was ready to stay where it was and just barely starts to roll down. You have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. That was what Tiger needed right there.

Should be a great finish. Hopefully Johnson can hold on.

OILFAN #81
04-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Johnson wins the Masters at +1. 4 golfers tie in 2nd place at +3 including Woods.

rockstar
04-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Johnson gives his Lord and saviour, Jesus, all the credit for his win.

That's just stupid, no? I think Jesus probably has better things to do than perform divine intervention to help some guy win a golf tournament.

troutman
04-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Appleby’s sweater is off now he means business

How can these people be wearing sweaters on a sunny day in Georgia? I'd be sweating like a pig.

moon
04-08-2007, 05:00 PM

That's just stupid, no? I think Jesus probably has better things to do than perform divine intervention to help some guy win a golf tournament.

It was a great win for Johnson, but it does annoy me and seem a bit silly when these guys have to immediately blurt out their thanks to Jesus. ITs fine that you have faith and believe in god but can you not just focus on things that actually helped you win the tournament and thank people like your family and friends.

Congrats to Johnson on the great win. Save the preaching for your church buddies.

Sylvanfan
04-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, Johnson stepped up and won it today by shooting a 69. But I admit that it irks me when someone says it was Jesus that helped him win and doesn't mention anything about how they played, don't know why but it does. Still you can't take away that he made a great shot at 16 than made that putt for birdie and a nice chip shot at 18 to hold the tourney. Woods just couldn't get it going today and as soon as he didn't make birdie on 15, you knew it was over.

It was nice that the course did play a bit easier today, Goosen bloody well would have been in a playoff if Johnson didn't shoot such a great round too. That would have been some comeback given that he was tied for last place of all guys making the cut going into the weekend. But he just didn't have it with the driver today and pars on 13 and 15 did cost him a chance to win it.

habernac
04-11-2007, 09:02 AM
It was a great win for Johnson, but it does annoy me and seem a bit silly when these guys have to immediately blurt out their thanks to Jesus. ITs fine that you have faith and believe in god but can you not just focus on things that actually helped you win the tournament and thank people like your family and friends.

Congrats to Johnson on the great win. Save the preaching for your church buddies.

http://www.zapin.info/imagenes/homer-simpson.jpg

"I'd like to thank Jesus. And my special lady Marge. WE DID IT BABY!!"

:D

Thunderball
04-13-2007, 11:42 AM

Stupid, maybe. But it seems like every football player (NFL or CFL) thanks or praises Jesus and/or Momma for their win. We all know Momma didn't run on the field and make the pass, but we accept it. Pro sports players always try to link their wins to something bigger than themselves (the team, Jesus, Momma, Allah, deceased relative, the fans, etc.)... its part of the game, and sounds better than "I'd like to thank myself for being too goddamn good."

Cowboy89
04-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Stupid, maybe. But it seems like every football player (NFL or CFL) thanks or praises Jesus and/or Momma for their win. We all know Momma didn't run on the field and make the pass, but we accept it. Pro sports players always try to link their wins to something bigger than themselves (the team, Jesus, Momma, Allah, deceased relative, the fans, etc.)... its part of the game, and sounds better than "I'd like to thank myself for being too goddamn good."

I am a true believer in the phrase it's 90% mental when it comes to professional sports. For Golf it's gotta be 99% mental. If the thought of having a higher power looking out for you helps keep you mentally focused then so be it. This can work for people in everyday life too. Reason being is that we tend to stop focusing about needless worry about open ended unanswerable "what if" questions (because afterall God or a dead relative is 'looking out for us') and focus on the tasks at hand.

Go_Flames_3
04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Did anybody else see the people with flames jerseys on during Fridays broadcast. I know this is late but this thread reminded me that when i saw the tourney on friday i saw three fans wearing flames jerseys around the green