PDA

View Full Version : Mustangs fold

Resolute 14
10-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Heard on Fan960 that the Calgary Mustangs have folded up shop. Not surprising, and I doubt they will be missed all that much, as soccer just isnt that popular out here.

browna
10-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Having played with a bunch of the guys on the team (and the Storm before them), it seemed to be just an attendance thing this year, I am sure the owners lost money, but these owners weren't the meddling types like the previous one was.

Being attendance driven, this year they had a lot of Saturday games through the spring and early summer, including the home opener. Problem was, some other team was playing, usualy at home, through April to June which took the first 5 pages of the 8 pages of the sports section.

The Storm did so well the first season because the weather in the summer was fantastic, and games were $5. It didn't try to be more pro/bigger then that, and thats why, including success on the field, they had over 1000 people most of the games that year, They may have had 1 game over 1000 people in the last 2 years, and the mentality of manangement/ownership (wanting a bigger stadium, charging $10 or more for games etc) didn't help matters.

It'll be tough to convince the A-League to put a team anytime in the next 5 years...Edmonton too for that matter.

kipperfan
10-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by browna@Oct 28 2004, 02:04 AM
Having played with a bunch of the guys on the team (and the Storm before them), it seemed to be just an attendance thing this year, I am sure the owners lost money, but these owners weren't the meddling types like the previous one was.

Being attendance driven, this year they had a lot of Saturday games through the spring and early summer, including the home opener. Problem was, some other team was playing, usualy at home, through April to June which took the first 5 pages of the 8 pages of the sports section.

The Storm did so well the first season because the weather in the summer was fantastic, and games were $5. It didn't try to be more pro/bigger then that, and thats why, including success on the field, they had over 1000 people most of the games that year, They may have had 1 game over 1000 people in the last 2 years, and the mentality of manangement/ownership (wanting a bigger stadium, charging $10 or more for games etc) didn't help matters.

It'll be tough to convince the A-League to put a team anytime in the next 5 years...Edmonton too for that matter.
Soccer + Calgarians = A very bad idea.

Calgary Flames
10-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Who the hell are the Mustangs? Seriously. I didn't even know this team existed.

kipperfan
10-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by SuperNilson@Oct 28 2004, 02:31 AM
HAHA

For sure. The only thing ive ever known about this team is I THINK they play by the science centre..........................thats IT :unsure:

Mango
10-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by kipperfan+Oct 27 2004, 07:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kipperfan @ Oct 27 2004, 07:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SuperNilson@Oct 28 2004, 02:31 AM
HAHA

For sure. The only thing ive ever known about this team is I THINK they play by the science centre..........................thats IT :unsure: [/b][/quote]

There used to be a soccer field where that skateboard park is now. It was home to the Kickers (and Strikers?) during the late 80s-early 90s. Foothills Athletic Park field #1 was home to the Storm for 2 years, but the Mustangs were playing on the turf at the McMahon for some reason.

The Storm had an outstanding first year. I'm bias, but the stats don't lie. Then they moved to A-League and it was hard to keep up with the competition. In addition, they raised ticket prices as well. They lost a lot of local players, because they stopped paying them late in the 2nd season.

kipperfan
10-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Mango+Oct 28 2004, 02:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mango @ Oct 28 2004, 02:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by kipperfan@Oct 27 2004, 07:48 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SuperNilson@Oct 28 2004, 02:31 AM
HAHA

For sure. The only thing ive ever known about this team is I THINK they play by the science centre..........................thats IT :unsure:
There used to be a soccer field where that skateboard park is now. It was home to the Kickers (and Strikers?) during the late 80s to early 90s. Foothills field #1 was home to the Storm, but the Mustangs were playing on the turf at the McMahon for some reason.

The Storm had an outstanding first year. I'm bias, but the stats don't lie. Then they moved to A-Leauge and it was hard to keep up. They lost a lot of local players, because they stopped paying them late in the 2nd season. [/b][/quote]
Look at that.............

The one thing I thought I knew, gone, just pheff..........gone...like soccer :lol:

evman150
10-28-2004, 02:30 AM
If there is one sport Canadians don't care about, it's soccer.

I don't blame us, I'd rather watch paint dry.

calgaryred
10-28-2004, 12:44 PM
when will people learn Calgary isn't a place to put a soccer franchise.

Boomers
Mustangs
Kickers
Strikers
Storm
Mustangs

is there any others floundering franchises to mention?

For a pro soccer league only Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are able to keep these kinds of teams alfloat. I'd rather watch PCL baseball again I miss the Cannons
;_;

Bertuzzied
10-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by SuperNilson@Oct 28 2004, 02:31 AM
oh haha. me too. i thought they were a junior football team?!

I-Hate-Hulse
10-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Wasn't there the Drillers too?

moon
10-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by SuperNilson@Oct 27 2004, 07:31 PM
exactly why soccer will not work in Calgary. 50%-75% of Calgarians don't even know that there is a team, let alone want to pay to go watch them.

Resolute 14
10-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse@Oct 28 2004, 01:14 PM
Wasn't there the Drillers too?
They were in Edmonton, who also saw their A-league team fold yesterday.

Though the Calgary group says that they are actually only on a on year leave of absence.

calf
10-28-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by evman150@Oct 28 2004, 02:30 AM
If there is one sport Canadians don't care about, it's soccer.

I don't blame us, I'd rather watch paint dry.
I'm not so sure about it. Canadians definately don't watch much soccer, but it seemed that at the office I did my co-op term, many parents had kids involved in soccer...definately a players sport right now instead of a spectator sport.

I also remember in my soci of sport class, the prof noted that the 2 highest rated events on Sportsnet was, of all things, womens soccer (Canadian U-18s championship and some other game involving Canadian women)

The Familia
10-28-2004, 10:40 PM
As long as Edmonton lost their team as well I'm happy! I always compare who has more profesional franchises us or them. This way we both lose one so it's no big deal.

Calgary- Flames, Stamps, Roughnecks, Hitmen, ABA team, NL (baseball team)
Edmonton- Oilers, Eskimos, Roadrunners, NL (Baseball team)

we both just lost our PCL teams and soccer teams now....we're still winning!

Fire
10-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Apparently they couldn't play out of McMahon unless they had better artificial turf like the Argonauts have at the Skydome. League would only let them play on that crappy turf for one season.

They are planning on paying $600,000 to put new turf into McMahon in hopes they can come back for 2006.

calgaryred
10-28-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm all for new turf at mcmahon hopefully the end zones will still be red.

I-Hate-Hulse
10-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Do some googling on "FieldTurf" and you'll see why the grass conditions are such a big difference. FT vs Astroturf is like old persimmon golf clubs vs the latest 460cc Titanium Taylor Made driver. I think the turf at McMahon is only a couple years though... doubt they can swing the cash to get FieldTurf put on.... until a new Daddy Warbucks is found.

calf
10-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse@Oct 28 2004, 11:26 PM
Do some googling on "FieldTurf" and you'll see why the grass conditions are such a big difference. FT vs Astroturf is like old persimmon golf clubs vs the latest 460cc Titanium Taylor Made driver. I think the turf at McMahon is only a couple years though... doubt they can swing the cash to get FieldTurf put on.... until a new Daddy Warbucks is found.
The turf at McMahon is about 10 years old now (already!)...and rumours have been getting field turf in a year or so

kipperfan
10-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Fire@Oct 29 2004, 05:03 AM
Apparently they couldn't play out of McMahon unless they had better artificial turf like the Argonauts have at the Skydome. League would only let them play on that crappy turf for one season.

They are planning on paying $600,000 to put new turf into McMahon in hopes they can come back for 2006.
I think you mean "foothills" thats next door to Mcmahon they got come bleachers, at least 300 people can watch at once, its great!!! Why in the world would the "mustangs" play at mcmahon???????

I think the echo of those 28 fans cheering might rattle aroud in there. You do know Mcmahon is a place where like 40000 people come to watch pro football right?? So what are they gonna do with the other 39500 seats they DONT fill every game??? They couldnt GIVE em away, well they could, if they wanted to fly in some euros to watch the game, other than euros.........noone cares.

Yeah.........and the turf isnt good enough for them.........righhhhht. The ground that they run and kick a ball on, isnt good enough for them...........righhhhhhht Beacuse the ground that football players can go to war on, dig into, get driven into isnt good enough for some long haired fruits to prance around and kick a checkered ball?????? Come on man.

THAT is why we dont like soccer in Canada, "ahhhhhhhhh we need new turf to run, this turf hurts are toes ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" GO BACK TO EUROPE

Fire
10-30-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by kipperfan+Oct 30 2004, 09:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kipperfan @ Oct 30 2004, 09:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fire@Oct 29 2004, 05:03 AM

I think you mean "foothills" thats next door to Mcmahon they got come bleachers, at least 300 people can watch at once, its great!!! Why in the world would the "mustangs" play at mcmahon???????

I think the echo of those 28 fans cheering might rattle aroud in there. You do know Mcmahon is a place where like 40000 people come to watch pro football right?? So what are they gonna do with the other 39500 seats they DONT fill every game??? They couldnt GIVE em away, well they could, if they wanted to fly in some euros to watch the game, other than euros.........noone cares.

Yeah.........and the turf isnt good enough for them.........righhhhht. The ground that they run and kick a ball on, isnt good enough for them...........righhhhhhht Beacuse the ground that football players can go to war on, dig into, get driven into isnt good enough for some long haired fruits to prance around and kick a checkered ball?????? Come on man.

THAT is why we dont like soccer in Canada, "ahhhhhhhhh we need new turf to run, this turf hurts are toes ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" GO BACK TO EUROPE [/b][/quote]
In a prefect world they wouldn't be playing out of McMahon. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a 10000-15000 seat outdoor stadium be built but that's not going to happen.

I have never been to a professional soccer game so I can't say I will miss them, but I rather see professional sport teams stay than leave.

kipperfan
10-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Fire+Oct 30 2004, 04:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fire @ Oct 30 2004, 04:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by kipperfan@Oct 30 2004, 09:48 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fire@Oct 29 2004, 05:03 AM
Apparently they couldn't play out of McMahon unless they had better artificial turf like the Argonauts have at the Skydome.# League would only let them play on that crappy turf for one season.

THAT is why we dont like soccer in Canada, "ahhhhhhhhh we need new turf to run, this turf hurts are toes ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" GO BACK TO EUROPE
In a prefect world they wouldn't be playing out of McMahon. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a 10000-15000 seat outdoor stadium be built but that's not going to happen.

I have never been to a professional soccer game so I can't say I will miss them, but I rather see professional sport teams stay than leave. [/b][/quote]
10000-15000 What kinda crack are you smokin buddy???

Go and take a look at the prevoius attendance, for ANY past Calgary soccer team.

Divide that # by 10, and were talkin.

And dont give me the "the only got 200 fans cause they got a bad stadium" no, they got a bad stadium beacuse they can only get 200 fans.

browna
10-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by kipperfan+Oct 30 2004, 09:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kipperfan @ Oct 30 2004, 09:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fire@Oct 29 2004, 05:03 AM

THAT is why we dont like soccer in Canada, "ahhhhhhhhh we need new turf to run, this turf hurts are toes ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" GO BACK TO EUROPE [/b][/quote]
What a well informed, balanced and educated statement that was.

There's not much use in arguing some of those stereotypical points, especially since you like to quote yourself in your own sig.

To the issue of a better field.

If you can comprehend it, playing soccer on hard, bouncy turf where the ball will roll the whole field as opposed to grass or even field turf, makes the game as different as players playing ice hockey vs. having to play roller hockey.

Plus, I don't think you'll get many glowing recommendations from the McMahon turf from ANY CFL player.

To the new stadium. The push was on to convert Foothills into a soccer field, with seating around 8000 after the Cannons left. Besides being a soccer feild, it would've be a good alternative for other smaller outdoor events that would need that sort of space, and parking etc that goes along with the stadium (smaller concerts and other gatherings, for example).

Half the players on the team were born and bred in Calgary/Alberta and come up through the Calgary/Alberta soccer system.

They all have haircuts.

kipperfan
10-30-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by browna+Oct 30 2004, 07:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (browna @ Oct 30 2004, 07:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by kipperfan@Oct 30 2004, 09:48 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fire@Oct 29 2004, 05:03 AM
Apparently they couldn't play out of McMahon unless they had better artificial turf like the Argonauts have at the Skydome.# League would only let them play on that crappy turf for one season.

What a well informed, balanced and educated statement that was.

There's not much use in arguing some of those stereotypical points, especially since you like to quote yourself in your own sig.

To the issue of a better field.

If you can comprehend it, playing soccer on hard, bouncy turf where the ball will roll the whole field as opposed to grass or even field turf, makes the game as different as players playing ice hockey vs. having to play roller hockey.

Plus, I don't think you'll get many glowing recommendations from the McMahon turf from ANY CFL player.

To the new stadium. The push was on to convert Foothills into a soccer field, with seating around 8000 after the Cannons left. Besides being a soccer feild, it would've be a good alternative for other smaller outdoor events that would need that sort of space, and parking etc that goes along with the stadium (smaller concerts and other gatherings, for example).

Half the players on the team were born and bred in Calgary/Alberta and come up through the Calgary/Alberta soccer system.

They all have haircuts. [/b][/quote]
Thanks Conrad Smith