PDA

View Full Version : Edmonpuke gets CART race...

I-Hate-Hulse
10-27-2004, 12:20 PM
It is official. The Champ Car World Series Organization has granted final approval of a race for Edmonton starting in 2005 making Edmonton the latest city in Canada to host a premier Indy event. Fans can now look forward to seeing 2003 World Series Champion Paul Tracy and many more of the most skilled race car drivers in the world featured live next year in Edmonton.

Yawn... (http://www.edmontonairports.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=13-67-719-798)

I used to be a rabid CART fan but that series is so diluted now with so many of the best teams and drivers moving over to the IRL, which I despise. Can't really say if I'll go up there or not.

Heh I like this part- the race will be held at the Muni Airport:
"Our race circuit location is right in the heart of this city and is designed to show Edmonton at it’s finest to the rest of the world.”

Heart of city? Shouldn't that be held in the WEM parking lot then?
:D

Interesting to see how they've parked it on the closing days of Stampede.... hoping to ride some of the Stampede's coattails perhaps?

Resolute 14
10-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Hate to say it, but Edmonton municipal airport is the most logical place in Alberta to hold such a race.

Madman
10-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Agreed.

I was hoping Calgary would get it...but then I got to thinking about where we'd put it, like any of our streets downtown could handle something of that magnitude. And anyone who says Race City is drunk.

Wait, how about Kart World!

I-Hate-Hulse
10-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Yup, I'm sure their location was a big drawing point. CART's Cleveland race at the Lakefront Airport was one of the best when I used to watch. Big wide turns marked with cones made for crazy Deerfoot like passes common place. Really quite exciting.

Still a stage is nothing without actors, and I hope CART does something to reignite the interest of former fans like myself.

BigOilFan
10-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Its going to be a great race. All of Alberta is going to enjoy this. Come on up Calgary.

BlackArcher101
10-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Edmonton should get a Nascar race too, it would fit right in with the mullet wearing, incestuous, slack-jawed yokals. :D

Seriously though, I hope it works out for them. They need at least one event to look forward to. Klondike days just aren't cuttin it and CART should boost the spirits (maybe even tourists might actually go there now).

Now Calgary should focus on a F1 race :)

Bertuzzied
10-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101@Oct 28 2004, 05:20 PM
Edmonton should get a Nascar race too, it would fit right in with the mullet wearing, incestuous, slack-jawed yokals. :D

Seriously though, I hope it works out for them. They need at least one event to look forward to. Klondike days just aren't cuttin it and CART should boost the spirits (maybe even tourists might actually go there now).

Thats what we are gunning for. Haven't you seen all the new overpasses on Crowchild! hehehe. I bet i could beat Schumacher in a race from Sait to Silver Springs! :lol:

Sylvanfan
10-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Bertuzzied+Oct 28 2004, 06:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bertuzzied @ Oct 28 2004, 06:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlackArcher101@Oct 28 2004, 05:20 PM

Thats what we are gunning for. Haven't you seen all the new overpasses on Crowchild! hehehe. I bet i could beat Schumacher in a race from Sait to Silver Springs! :lol: [/b][/quote]
Well unless those bets you've been placing have paid off I'll put my money on Schumacher and his Ferrari.

kipperfan
10-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Sylvanfan+Oct 29 2004, 01:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sylvanfan @ Oct 29 2004, 01:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Bertuzzied@Oct 28 2004, 06:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-BlackArcher101@Oct 28 2004, 05:20 PM
Edmonton should get a Nascar race too, it would fit right in with the mullet wearing, incestuous,# slack-jawed yokals.# :D

Seriously though, I hope it works out for them.# They need at least one event to look forward to.# Klondike days just aren't cuttin it and CART should boost the spirits (maybe even tourists might actually go there now).#

Now Calgary should focus on a F1 race# :)
Thats what we are gunning for. Haven't you seen all the new overpasses on Crowchild! hehehe. I bet i could beat Schumacher in a race from Sait to Silver Springs! :lol:
Well unless those bets you've been placing have paid off I'll put my money on Schumacher and his Ferrari. [/b][/quote]
I got my money on schumacher in a broken down pinto.