PDA

View Full Version : time to change playoff format

calgaryred
10-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Many purists that believe the west should play the east regardless of their records to me it doesn't put the best talent in the grey cup. I think I've come up with the perfect plan for purists and those who believe in reformatting the CFL playoff structure.

For one winning the divisions still means everything it would automatically put them in the semi finals with home field advantage. Win the division it's one win to the grey cup. The four other clubs would be the four best after the division winners east or western teams.

So, in the end it's quaranteed west playing east is a possibility. Still it's also possible to have the best teams also face each other regardless if they are in the same division. So battles like Calgary vs Edmonton Toronto vs Hamilton Saskatchewan vs Edmonton can happen.

So if the standings finished like this

W L T PTS
MTL 14 4 0 28
TOR 10 7 1 21
HAM 9 8 1 19
OTT 5 13 0 10

W L T PTS
BC 13 5 0 24
EDM 9 9 0 18
SAS 9 9 0 18
WPG 6 12 0 12
CAL 5 13 0 10

quarter finals

Saskatchewan vs Toronto Toronto wins
Edmonton vs Hamilton Hamilton wins

semi finals

Hamilton vs British Columbia British Columbia wins
Toronto vs Montreal Montreal wins

grey cup

British Columbia vs Montreal

octothorp
10-26-2004, 04:20 PM
You're missing Sask. on your standings. I see where you're going with it though. Two downsides:

It reduces the chances of good rivalry matchups. Infact, it's entirely possible that you don't get a single divisional matchup in the entire playoffs.

It also means more cross-continental travel, which is no small concern for a small-budget league like the CFL.

calgaryred
10-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by octothorp@Oct 26 2004, 03:20 PM
You're missing Sask. on your standings. I see where you're going with it though. Two downsides:

It reduces the chances of good rivalry matchups. Infact, it's entirely possible that you don't get a single divisional matchup in the entire playoffs.

It also means more cross-continental travel, which is no small concern for a small-budget league like the CFL.
Still it gives the chance of a battle of Alberta in the grey cup. I'd rather have the chance of the Stamps to play the possibilty of any team in the playoffs then the same ones year after year. Teams should make the playoffs on the basis of ability not region.

calculoso
10-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by calgaryred@Oct 26 2004, 04:24 PM
Teams should make the playoffs on the basis of ability not region.
Isn't that what the crossover is for??

calf
10-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by calculoso+Oct 26 2004, 04:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (calculoso @ Oct 26 2004, 04:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-calgaryred@Oct 26 2004, 04:24 PM
Isn't that what the crossover is for?? [/b][/quote]
Yes, but if the 4th place team in the west is eligible for the crossover, even if they have a better record than the 2nd place team in the east, they still have to play in the east. As well, it's possible that the 5th place team in the west can have a better record than the 3rd place team in the east, so should they not qualify for the playoffs?

Mike
10-27-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by calf+Oct 26 2004, 05:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (calf @ Oct 26 2004, 05:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by calculoso@Oct 26 2004, 04:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-calgaryred@Oct 26 2004, 04:24 PM
Isn't that what the crossover is for??
Yes, but if the 4th place team in the west is eligible for the crossover, even if they have a better record than the 2nd place team in the east, they still have to play in the east. As well, it's possible that the 5th place team in the west can have a better record than the 3rd place team in the east, so should they not qualify for the playoffs? [/b][/quote]
Yikes. :unsure:

Are you positive they don't? I doubt it has ever happened.

Calgaryred,
I like the playoff format the way it is. The crossover allows for the best teams to be in the playoffs, and then it is a matter of getting it done. I don't like your idea of having the best talent in the Grey Cup game. That isn't what the playoffs are about. While the two best teams up against each other would probably provide an exciting game, I enjoy underdog stories just as much. But then again, I'm not sure how your format necessarily puts the best talent in the Grey Cup anyway. Looks like there could still be upsets. Plus its good to give the west and east the same number of playoff games. Your format could have every game played in one part of the country essentially. Plus by having divisional playoff games it is easier for fans to follow their teams to the road games.

While it is an interesting setup, I don't think it would fly.

ken0042
10-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Mike@Oct 27 2004, 01:54 AM
Are you positive they don't? I doubt it has ever happened.
It happened once in 1993. Then in 1994 they changed the playoff format to allow 4 teams from each division in. Remember the uproar here in Calgary that we would have to play 2 playoff games?

I personally like the rivalries in the first round of the playoffs. It makes for some exciting football. Also, right now I can attend either of the Western playoff games and have less than a day's drive to get there.