PDA

View Full Version : Canada 103 in FIFA rankings...

ricoFlame
03-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I realize that they haven't played since the last rankings came out, but that number is painful. need to start winning some friendlies.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story/?ID=200051&hubname=

Seabass
03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I think Greenland is ranked 97th....

ricoFlame
03-14-2007, 12:32 PM
here is the full ranking list:

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Mar-2007,00.html

Thunderball
03-14-2007, 12:38 PM
oh man, that makes me proud to be Canadian... FIFA ranking with third world countries, islands and city-states... good job.

OILFAN #81
03-14-2007, 12:43 PM
We don't get funded enough compared to the rest of the world. We have the talent but don't have the means of funding. I remember last year in our development camp, the coaches wanted us to pay for getting there among other things while other teams get everything paid for and have training centers in every state. Here in Canada we have to go to Toronto primarily and occasionally Vancouver. If you don't get funded properly, it's hard to compete with the top countries.

PS......check out our u-20 game in Commonwealth this July......i'll be on the sidelines. I'm sure it will get sold out but our young kids could use the support! Cheers.

troutman
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Let's offer Brazil's B Team Canadian citizenships!

KTown
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Czech Republic is #9.

We're still in the top 10, big game against Germany coming up on the 24th winner takes the lead in the Euro 2008 qualifying group. No matter what the result is these two teams should easily finish 1-2 and qualify.

Winsor_Pilates
03-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Just gross.
I understand that funding may be a small issue, but when you can't even compete with the third world it has nothing to do with $$

KevanGuy
03-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Ugly. I wonder where we'd sit if Canadian born players actually played for Canada. Maybe 50-55 range?

troutman
03-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Ugly. I wonder where we'd sit if Canadian born players actually played for Canada. Maybe 50-55 range?

Who are you calling out besides Hargreaves?

I agree BTW. You should not get to play for another country, just because your second cousin once stopped for a beer in that other country.

octothorp
03-14-2007, 04:14 PM
It's pretty staggering the difference between where our men and women are on the world stage in soccer. I believe the women were recently ranked in the top ten and are considered a serious contender for the upcoming world cup. Why the disparity? Is it just that the women's field is comparatively weak internationally, or are our men's and women's programs fundamentally different?

Mr.Coffee
03-14-2007, 04:16 PM
To help put in perspective just HOW BAD we truly are, Cyprus, a country with a population that is less than just Calgary, is ranked 68th and is in an extremely difficult European division where I am positive they must get smashed quite often.

Thunderball
03-14-2007, 04:23 PM
It's pretty staggering the difference between where our men and women are on the world stage in soccer. I believe the women were recently ranked in the top ten and are considered a serious contender for the upcoming world cup. Why the disparity? Is it just that the women's field is comparatively weak internationally, or are our men's and women's programs fundamentally different?

Women's Soccer is not taken seriously by a staggering majority of countries. Comparatively speaking, our women are well funded... while our men are a joke. Skill wise, they're decent, but they don't have the infrastructure to make the next step... part of the problem being no national league.

KTown
03-14-2007, 06:27 PM
To help put in perspective just HOW BAD we truly are, Cyprus, a country with a population that is less than just Calgary, is ranked 68th and is in an extremely difficult European division where I am positive they must get smashed quite often.

Cyprus just recently tied Germany 1-1 in the Euro 2008 qualifying round. That being said, it's no excuse that Canada sucks at it, considering how many people actually play this sport in Canada. Funding or not, we should be challenging for a spot in the world cup every 4 years. Since 3 countries in the CONCACAF region get in, with 4 a possibility as there is a play in game. It's quite sad we can't lock up being the 3rd best nation in this region.

ricoFlame
03-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Since 3 countries in the CONCACAF region get in, with 4 a possibility as there is a play in game. It's quite sad we can't lock up being the 3rd best nation in this region.

i agree, considering that a win over many concacaf teams would be considered an upset at the time being (ie. mexico, usa, costa rica, cuba, T & T, honduras, hati (ouch), ect.) qualification is surprisingly possible for a canadian side which makes repeatedly not doing it even more awful. they just have to step up and actually make it happen for a change.

browna
03-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Canada moved up a ton of spots last week by not even playing a game a few months ago (6 maybe).
I don't put too much credit in these...Canada's friendlies are in the spring and summer.

KevanGuy
03-15-2007, 03:22 AM
Who are you calling out besides Hargreaves?

Him and Stalteri at least right now yeah. If we'd kept everyone over the years dont you think we'd be higher up now?

icarus
03-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Noooooooo! We have dropped below Ethiopia and Uganda! :bag:

During the World Cup last summer I worked with a guy from Ethiopia and a guy from Uganda and I used to comfort myself about Canada's absence from the tournament by talking smack to them.

JD
03-16-2007, 10:32 AM
People can cite funding if they want, but that's only a reason for being behind the big guys.

When I see IRAQ nearly 20 spots ahead, it tends to indicate that we're doing more things wrong than just funding. Maybe we aren't playing according to the proper rules? :D

Thunderball
03-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Him and Stalteri at least right now yeah. If we'd kept everyone over the years dont you think we'd be higher up now?

I'm not sure I understand. Stalteri is one of Canada's most capped national players. Personally, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to play for Canada anymore, since it has probably hampered his growth. If he was an English or Italian national, his career would likely have taken off, instead of his high being a starter in Werder Bremen and now a sub for Tottenham.

Hargreaves is the only one of note who has chosen to play for another national team. Part of the reason for that was Canada Soccer's arrogance. Its important to cap our potential stars early, so they don't get snapped up by other countries later. Personally, if I was a player of Hargreaves' ilk, I'd rather play for Italy or Germany (my ancestral homes), than Canada, a country that has shown no serious desire to support soccer at all levels. The only way Canada would be able to keep me, is if they capped me at the U-20 level or less. They failed to do that with Hargreaves, so he bolted to a contender.

The good news is there are some promising young guys coming up, notably potential Chelsea target and current Feyenoord midfielder Jonathan de Guzman.

browna
03-17-2007, 03:25 PM
^
To the first point, you have to assume that Stalteri would be good enough to crack the German or Italian roster, which he clearly isn't.
And really, its the other way around as far as elevating play/growth.

Owen got his break through the network of Calgary soccer contacts at 15 to get him a try out, like about 5 or 6 others I know through the same contact, and made the most of it with Bayern, obviously...and was willing to committ etc etc. Even then he still had to make the most of the situation there, and he did.

To be fair, once the Germans got a hold of him, they turned him into the English International he is, as, having had known the family for over 20 years (not that well, but enough to say hi and have a conversation, his brother played with me, his did was an assisants with us for a few years too), he, growing up and playing, he was good, but was not leaps and bounds above others his age in the city, or province, even some of those who also went over to try out for various vlubs in Europe at the same time. He was in the right place, at the right time, and made the most of it.

If he decided way back then to come back home instead of staying in Munich, or going to England and trying out for some lower Premiership team back when, there's no way he would've ended up a) As good, and a result b)On the English national team, meaning maybe c) he would've been on Canada.

As for the argument about not playing for Canada, I have no issue with it...having been in the system in my mid teens briefly, the politics over the past 15 (longer) years bogs down any real proper recruting unless your playing in Toronto or maybe Vancouver. He (and lots of others that I knew and played with who were as good and deserved to be there) wasn't on anyone in Canada Soccer's radar prior to the time he stuck for a few years at Bayern.

They did try and cap him after that, but by then his play (and growth through learning) in Germany had unlocked other doors.

Basically, its the same in hockey as being born in the UK, but having the chance to play for Team Canada instead of the UK team....which would you choose if you had a chance?

Bill Bumface
03-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Well at least North Korea has nothing on us. Ugh. I still can't believe it with how popular youth soccer is here.

Thunderball
03-19-2007, 03:26 PM
^
To the first point, you have to assume that Stalteri would be good enough to crack the German or Italian roster, which he clearly isn't.
And really, its the other way around as far as elevating play/growth.

Owen got his break through the network of Calgary soccer contacts at 15 to get him a try out, like about 5 or 6 others I know through the same contact, and made the most of it with Bayern, obviously...and was willing to committ etc etc. Even then he still had to make the most of the situation there, and he did.

To be fair, once the Germans got a hold of him, they turned him into the English International he is, as, having had known the family for over 20 years (not that well, but enough to say hi and have a conversation, his brother played with me, his did was an assisants with us for a few years too), he, growing up and playing, he was good, but was not leaps and bounds above others his age in the city, or province, even some of those who also went over to try out for various vlubs in Europe at the same time. He was in the right place, at the right time, and made the most of it.

If he decided way back then to come back home instead of staying in Munich, or going to England and trying out for some lower Premiership team back when, there's no way he would've ended up a) As good, and a result b)On the English national team, meaning maybe c) he would've been on Canada.

As for the argument about not playing for Canada, I have no issue with it...having been in the system in my mid teens briefly, the politics over the past 15 (longer) years bogs down any real proper recruting unless your playing in Toronto or maybe Vancouver. He (and lots of others that I knew and played with who were as good and deserved to be there) wasn't on anyone in Canada Soccer's radar prior to the time he stuck for a few years at Bayern.

They did try and cap him after that, but by then his play (and growth through learning) in Germany had unlocked other doors.

Basically, its the same in hockey as being born in the UK, but having the chance to play for Team Canada instead of the UK team....which would you choose if you had a chance?

You kind of proved my point with Hargreaves. I said that Stalteri's career suffered because he was loyal to a third rate soccer nation. He might have cracked Italy's team, if he got to play for Juve, AC, Inter, Roma, Lazio or another top club there, and had that door open to him. But since he was a loyal Canadian, his opportunities were limited to lower Premiership teams and German teams looking for a bargain. As you said, because Hargreaves became an English national, many more doors opened to him....doors that were not open to Stalteri, and those systems made him a better player. I played against Hargreaves in a friendly when I was in Foothills. He was clearly elite, but he wasn't much better than other top players in the premier division. Niendorf and his Bayern connections made him the player he is, but it was his ability to be capped for a major team that put him over the top. I think we both kind of agree with each other, but in a roundabout way.

troutman
03-19-2007, 03:46 PM
^
unlocked other doors.

That's the problem. The rules are too loose. You should not get a choice. If you are Canadian, you play for Canada. There should be no loop-holes because you have relatives from the old country.

Magnum PEI
03-21-2007, 02:07 AM
The good news is there are some promising young guys coming up, notably potential Chelsea target and current Feyenoord midfielder Jonathan de Guzman.
I was under the impression that De Guzman will pull a Hargreaves and play for the Netherlands.:(

Thunderball
03-21-2007, 08:54 AM
I was under the impression that De Guzman will pull a Hargreaves and play for the Netherlands.:(

Wouldn't surprise me, frankly. Though I think De Guzman has played for Canada already at a lower level, so I don't think he can.