PDA

View Full Version : Gauthier

Pepper
08-04-2004, 07:24 AM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Calga.../04/568683.html (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Calgary/2004/08/04/568683.html)

Denis' saying all the right things.... wants to be here to see the results of what's being built. Good to have those kind of players on the team.

I hope he sticks around. An excellent team guy for the 5/6 spot.

Cheese
08-04-2004, 08:00 AM
Good for Denis! Now we can dump the Dors to someone who was impressed during the playoff run! Maximize the minimal assets!

EddyBeers
08-04-2004, 10:00 AM
I think if we wanted to maximize the minimal assets Gerry we would dump Denis as quickly as possible. I can not think of another team in the league that pays a 6th defenceman 1.6 million a year and the guy still can never make the first pass out of the zone to the winger. I cringe whenever Gauthier gets the puck in our own zone. On another, less important note, it is always funny when Denis lays on a questionable hit and then is unwilling to drop the gloves to go with someone on the other team and Ference or someone has to come in and stand up for him.

transplant99
08-04-2004, 10:04 AM
On another, less important note, it is always funny when Denis lays on a questionable hit and then is unwilling to drop the gloves to go with someone on the other team and Ference or someone has to come in and stand up for him.

I agree with the first part of your post...but i have to disagree with this.

Since when did bodychecking a guy become an instant "have to drop the gloves" act?

Denis is not a fighter...or not very good at it anyhow. That doesnt preclude him from playing the physical part of the game though.

Scott Stevens rarely fights either...and he might be the best body checker of the last 30 years.

One doesnt have anything to do with the other.

EddyBeers
08-04-2004, 10:10 AM
My point was not that one has to fight if they give a clean check, but when the hit is questionable or in some cases beyong questionable and then all Gauthier does is stand their and yap while Ference or in past years Nichol is getting the crap kicked out of them, it is a site to behold. He should stop yapping if he isn't going to go. Marc Savard has more fighting majors than Gauthier does. But my main point was that the guy can not make the first pass out of the zone, that is what drives me nuts about him and giving him another two years will not allow him to discover this skill. As a season ticket holder I can not tell you the number of times I have seen him in particular cough it up in his own zone, resulting in a scoring chance. I still believe that one of the reasons we did so well in the playoffs was that we did not have Gauthier coughing it up in his own zone, we had the Dors firing it off the glass.

FacePaint
08-04-2004, 10:11 AM
I disagree... I think Gauthier has changed the last couple years and actually has been dropping the gloves when guys chase him after a big hit. There are times when you want to draw a powerplay and he can't really be faulted for that. A couple scraqp against Oilers and one vs. a Canuck I think? Jovo maybe? Jason Smith too... IIRC.

I can't get passed the firewall to see his scrap log.

EddyBeers
08-04-2004, 10:25 AM
My bad, he fought Vincent Lecavalier on January 24 and he fought Jean-Luc Grand Pierre on February 10 and Tyson Nash on March 24.

But like I said, it is not about him fighting or not fighting for me, I just threw that in there as a pet peeve. His biggest problem is the fact that he can not make the first pass out of the zone, like Ference, Leopold, Regehr and Lydman can and he is not smart enough to make the simple play like the dors and Warrener.

calgaryred
08-04-2004, 10:30 AM
I see Commodore not protected in the waiver draft and Gauthier wearing the flames red this september.

Eubee
08-04-2004, 10:35 AM
I don't mind Denis but agree that his passing in our own zone is questionable at best. In terms of the rest of the Calgary D, he's also pretty poor at D zone responsibilities when we don't have the puck (ie. finding his man in front of the net). $1.6 is too much for a 6th D man (Ference is ahead of him in my books), but you've got to look at Lydman at $2.4 (I think) and cringe as well. At that price, Lydman's shoes are filled by Leopold and Ference IMO. Trade Lydman now if we can, and trade Gauts at the deadline this year (if there is one).

With that scenario, Commy is our 7th D as insurance with Gauts and Monty being 5 & 6. We've got a really good, young D and we can afford to play the hell out of our top 4 and still get a good 10-12 min from 5 & 6. The one problem I see with that scenario is being thin on capable D if we do trade Gauts at the deadline. Bring up Neon Dion?? Could work IMO. Either way I think we can parlay Lydman & later Gauts for firepower up front & possibly some $ savings.

Flames Draft Watcher
08-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Eubee@Aug 4 2004, 04:35 PM
Bring up Neon Dion?
We could only bring him up when his junior season is finished. So if the Rebels go far, he'll be unavailable to us unless we experience and injury emergency on defense.

Evans would probably be next on the depth chart unless Ritchie Regehr, Giordano or Pardy pass him.

albertGQ
08-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Flames Draft Watcher+Aug 4 2004, 04:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flames Draft Watcher @ Aug 4 2004, 04:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Eubee@Aug 4 2004, 04:35 PM
Bring up Neon Dion?
We could only bring him up when his junior season is finished. So if the Rebels go far, he'll be unavailable to us unless we experience and injury emergency on defense.

Evans would probably be next on the depth chart unless Ritchie Regehr, Giordano or Pardy pass him. [/b][/quote]
We also need to sign Neon Dion to a contract first

Eubee
08-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by albertGQ+Aug 4 2004, 11:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (albertGQ @ Aug 4 2004, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Flames Draft Watcher@Aug 4 2004, 04:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Eubee@Aug 4 2004, 04:35 PM
Bring up Neon Dion?

Evans would probably be next on the depth chart unless Ritchie Regehr, Giordano or Pardy pass him.
We also need to sign Neon Dion to a contract first [/b][/quote]
"We could only bring him up when his junior season is finished. So if the Rebels go far, he'll be unavailable to us unless we experience and injury emergency on defense"

Good Point.

"We also need to sign Neon Dion to a contract first"

Assumed ofcourse.

Mike__
08-04-2004, 11:41 AM
IMO, we should trade Lydman before Gauthier because at 2.4 million, like Eubee said we could get one of Leopold or Ference to play his role. Also, with Lydmans Health problems, who knows how long he'll stay healthy. He could be knocked out half the season.

As for Gauthier, as long as he makes the right play and gets it off the glass, I'm fine with him. Also, I hope he learns not to pinch or at least know when to.

Krackt420
08-04-2004, 12:19 PM
I dunno...I got a good feeling about Goat this year. I think after getting knocked out of an amazing playoff run way earlier than he would have liked, he's going to be a man on a mission next season. He's deffinetely going to have to prove he's worth 1.6
He's not the smartest defensive player we have, but I disagree with those saying he would have hurt us more than helped us had he not been hurt during the VAN series. Denis has got the heart and work ethic of our typical Flame. I think we missed him during the Tampa series to be honest...way too much room on the ice for St. Louis and Lecalvier..

At any rate, as long as he gets his ass in gear, I'll be totally happy to see him in the Flamin C for at least another year.

Tron_fdc
08-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Krackt420@Aug 4 2004, 06:19 PM
I dunno...I got a good feeling about Goat this year. I think after getting knocked out of an amazing playoff run way earlier than he would have liked, he's going to be a man on a mission next season. He's deffinetely going to have to prove he's worth 1.6
He's not the smartest defensive player we have, but I disagree with those saying he would have hurt us more than helped us had he not been hurt during the VAN series. Denis has got the heart and work ethic of our typical Flame. I think we missed him during the Tampa series to be honest...way too much room on the ice for St. Louis and Lecalvier..

At any rate, as long as he gets his ass in gear, I'll be totally happy to see him in the Flamin C for at least another year.
Man, what I woulda paid to see Gauths paste St. Louis......

Anyways, I think the guy is invaluable as an open ice threat, and a definite crowd fav. What he does is the same as getting into a big fight; it pumps up the crowd and the team.

DE-NIS GAU-THIER

clap clap clapclapclap

...one of my favs, as brief as it was

Brendone
08-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Motivation shouldn't be an issue this year, with all the young D breathing on his neck.

Krackt420
08-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by plett22+Aug 4 2004, 06:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (plett22 @ Aug 4 2004, 06:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Krackt420@Aug 4 2004, 06:19 PM

Man, what I woulda paid to see Gauths paste St. Louis......

Anyways, I think the guy is invaluable as an open ice threat, and a definite crowd fav. What he does is the same as getting into a big fight; it pumps up the crowd and the team.

DE-NIS GAU-THIER

clap clap clapclapclap

...one of my favs, as brief as it was [/b][/quote]
haha that's one thing I would've missed for sure...in the same way I'm going to mis the OLI OLI OLI WA WA WA! chants

DEEEEEENNNIIII - GGGGOOOOOTCHAYYYYY

ahhh good times, good times

I met him at that autograph session he had at TD during the Detroit series. Reeealllly nice guy.

Tron_fdc
08-04-2004, 12:52 PM
I swear I keep seeing him down at the gym I go to, but I'd feel like way too much of a ###### walking up and going

"Hey......are you DENIS GAUTHIER???"

One very large man who wears shorts WAY too small. Not that I'm going to point that out to him, however.

OldSam
08-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by plett22@Aug 4 2004, 11:52 AM
I swear I keep seeing him down at the gym I go to, but I'd feel like way too much of a ###### walking up and going

One very large man who wears shorts WAY too small. Not that I'm going to point that out to him, however.
I don't think that is Gauthier, since he doesn't live here all year.

Krackt420
08-04-2004, 01:41 PM
you sure? I know he lives here most of the year. The Gauthiers are neighbours of one of my sister's co-workers. They take their kids to the park together occassionally.

On a completley random note, his wife is totally hot and has a set of boobs I am completely jealous of. I want a pair.....hehe

FacePaint
08-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by OldSam+Aug 4 2004, 07:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OldSam @ Aug 4 2004, 07:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-plett22@Aug 4 2004, 11:52 AM

I don't think that is Gauthier, since he doesn't live here all year. [/b][/quote]
Yes he does... not to start the crazy stalking gags but he lives up in the NW... in the Rocky Ridge/ Arbour Lake area.

OldSam
08-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Ooops, maybe I have a Gauthier lookalike in my area who leaves for a couple of months over the summer. Of course, I've never asked him either. :unsure: