PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Will Be A Part Of The Madness

flames_1987
03-05-2007, 10:59 PM
I know there's a lot of Zag fans on CP, quick update on them, they won the WCC confrence tonight over Santa Clara 77-68 to get an automatic bid into the NCAA tourny. If the Zags had failed to win, I doubt they would've got a spot in the tournament so winning tonight was really important to say the least.

This team has that old Gonzaga underdog feel to it, especially after the events that have taken place this last month. Good to see Few still find a way to get GU in for the 9th strait year.

ricoFlame
03-06-2007, 07:51 AM
This team has that old Gonzaga underdog feel to it, especially after the events that have taken place this last month. Good to see Few still find a way to get GU in for the 9th strait year.

Good, the underdog tag suits them better anyways. For the most part they'v been a dissapointment as high seed in the tourney.

CrusaderPi
03-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Good, the underdog tag suits them better anyways. For the most part they'v been a dissapointment as high seed in the tourney.
For the most part? It's been a disaster every year since they were ranked 3rd in the polls, but got a 6th seed in the tourney. And lost the fricken Wyoming. :censored:. That had to have been 2001ish.

flames_1987
03-06-2007, 11:46 PM
For the most part? It's been a disaster every year since they were ranked 3rd in the polls, but got a 6th seed in the tourney. And lost the fricken Wyoming. :censored:. That had to have been 2001ish.

The tournament is tougher then ever, and even #16 seeds are tough to beat. I wouldn't call the rise of now the most well known mid-major in the history of college basketball a "disaster" because of tournament games.
Gonzaga is one of only ten schools to have reached each of the past eight NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournaments (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Championship), and is the only school not from a major conference to do so. They've won 4 strait confrence championships now, the only team in the country to do so as well.

As a 9 seed they played Arizona a #1 in many peoples minds one of the best college basketball games ever played in which Blake Stepp missed that last second shot. Last year they made the sweet 16, yes it was a dissapointing loss but still another sweet 16 apperance. The program has produced solid NBA pro's like Adam Morrison, Dan Dickau and Rony Turiaf. For Gonzaga's size it has done an amazing job, starting with one of the best coaches in the nations, Mark Few.

KTown
03-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Clemson needs a win against Florida State to have a shot at making it as a bubble team.

A win against North Carolina in the second game will definately give them a birth.

CrusaderPi
03-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Gonzaga is in as a 10 seed against Indiana.

ricoFlame
03-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Gonzaga is in as a 10 seed against Indiana.

rematch of last year, that's pretty interesting.

flames_1987
03-11-2007, 11:15 PM
A 10th seed isn't bad, would love to see a ucla zags rematch in the 2nd round to take away those horrible memories.

Saint Troy
03-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Go Hoosiers!!! yes this is a drive-by zag fans.

flames_1987
03-13-2007, 02:40 PM
First time in a long time the Zags haven't faced very high expecations coming into the tournament. I really took for granted how hard it is for a mid major like the Zags to make the tournament every year. There are many quality teams in the nation that won't be playing in the field of 64.

Kelvin Sampson makes me much more scared to face the Hoosiers this year. The guy will make his players work and play there hearts out every second of the game. That being said, I'm praying for a Zags win and a possible UCLA rematch to take away the horrible memories from a year ago.

Saint Troy
03-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Sampson was a great hire, and along with the fact he was able to lure the best prep point guard Eric Gordon away from Illinois. Sampson will get this program back to a perennial powerhouse, the in-state recruiting of Mike Davis could not have been any worse.

Antithesis
03-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I like Indiana as a matchup for the 'Zags ... they have never really impressed me at all. UCLA would also be a winnable second-round matchup considering how awful they've been playing lately (then again, I do have a slight anti-UCLA bias.