PDA

View Full Version : Trevis Smith Sentenced...

Flickered Flame
02-26-2007, 05:38 PM
to 5 1/2 years with his incidents with women and his HIV.

http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=197779&hubname=

killer_carlson
02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
his defence counsel has already said they will appeal the decision.

I wonder if the crown will appeal the sentance as well...

FireFly
02-27-2007, 12:31 AM
This irritates me. He's given those women a death sentence and it's just assault? If I do something to you that will eventually kill you, isn't that attempted murder or murder? Cause I'm pretty sure that's a calculated thing he did, and now they set the precedent that such actions are only assault?! You've taken their lives! Grrrr.

Caged Great
02-27-2007, 06:13 AM
They did not contract HIV, so there wasn't a problem in that regard

FireFly
02-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Oh. Well it's still attempted though, isn't it?

octothorp
02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Oh. Well it's still attempted though, isn't it?I think either criminal negligence or reckless endangerment would a more appropriate phrase; for it to be attempted murder, it would be needed to be proved that he actually wanted to kill the women in question. That said, the sentence seems a bit light for the actions. I'd like to see the prosecution appeal for a longer sentence.

mykalberta
03-07-2007, 01:33 PM
I still dont get how they convict him of Agrivated Sexual Assult rather than attempted murder.

Consenual Sex is not against the law (at least I hope not).

I kind of wish a guy would charge a girl for ASA if she purposefully lied to get pregnant. That would be an interesting case - same premis, both either flat out lying or not telling the partner.

You could claim damages if the girl actually did get pregnant for the associated costs.

Very interesting loophole this might open up. Same would go if lets say the condom broke and a girl got impregnanted. Are you then still liable for child costs?

With no prior knowledge, I would assume Mr Smith figured what is the point in telling these women if I am wearing a condom?

Interesting.

MYK