PDA

View Full Version : De La Hoya/Mayweather Jr.

jam26
02-23-2007, 09:53 PM
This fight is still a long ways away, but the hype has already begun: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2772888

I think it's going to be a great fight. I think Mayweather is just too quick and skilled to get beat, but if he gets caught by the bigger, more powerful De La Hoya, it could be interesting. Mayweather's not used to getting hit.

Apparently, it'll be $60 on PPV - it'll have to be to raise the $40 million purse. But it's the first time in many years that the sport has seen a matchup like this so I'll be buying it. Any other boxing fans looking forward to this one? I think this is the first fight in a long time that will appeal not only to boxing fans, but sports fans in general.

GirlySports
02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
This fight is still a long ways away, but the hype has already begun: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2772888

I think it's going to be a great fight. I think Mayweather is just too quick and skilled to get beat, but if he gets caught by the bigger, more powerful De La Hoya, it could be interesting. Mayweather's not used to getting hit.

Apparently, it'll be $60 on PPV - it'll have to be to raise the $40 million purse. But it's the first time in many years that the sport has seen a matchup like this so I'll be buying it. Any other boxing fans looking forward to this one? I think this is the first fight in a long time that will appeal not only to boxing fans, but sports fans in general.

I'm a boxing fan but i'm not interested in this one. This might be the boringest fight ever. Two guys that dont like to get hit. You're better off saving your $60 and spend it on 2 other much better PPV fights.

Slava
02-26-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm a boxing fan but i'm not interested in this one. This might be the boringest fight ever. Two guys that dont like to get hit. You're better off saving your $60 and spend it on 2 other much better PPV fights.

Seriously?! This fight is going to be awesome. I know what you're saying about two guys who don't like to get hit, but these are also two guys who have enormous egos. They both really want to win this fight and I think that they both want to prove something. I can't wait!

rubecube
02-26-2007, 11:00 AM
This one should be good. I'm personally looking forward to the rumored Wright vs. Hopkins fight.

GirlySports
02-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Seriously?! This fight is going to be awesome. I know what you're saying about two guys who don't like to get hit, but these are also two guys who have enormous egos. They both really want to win this fight and I think that they both want to prove something. I can't wait!

No doubt they are great fighters but maybe they are TOO good technically that they can't really get hit. I've seen them both fight recently and their fights are boring (punch-run, punch-run, repeat). I think they'll cancel each other out and one will win on a decision that forces a re-match.

jam26
02-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I think this one could go either way, but because it's such a huge fight for both guys I think they'll come out swinging. De La Hoya will try to use his strength and size to his advantage and Mayweather has not yet had to deal with size and strength that De La Hoya brings to the table.
I think Mayweather may have stepped up one division too far. Regardless, the crowd will be electric and with so much on the line I think it will be a doozie.