PDA

View Full Version : If you could attend any sporting event in history?

burn_baby_burn
02-21-2007, 03:49 PM
This past weekend I watched "Pride of the Yankees" and "The Rocket". It got me to thinking. If you could attend any sporting event in history. Who or what would you like to see? As a huge sports fan it is tough for me to make a decision. I would really like to see baseball back in the 20's. The old stadiums. Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig. It would be something to see since there isn't even really any good footage from that era.

FireFly
02-21-2007, 03:51 PM
2002 Gold Medal game. Easy.

JBR
02-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Football. Super Bowl XXXII - Denver v. Green Bay
Baseball. Game 6, 1993 World Series - Toronto v. Philly
Hockey. Game 8, Summit Series 1972 - Canada v. Russia
Basketball. 1992 East Regional Final - Duke v. Kentucky

Displaced Flames fan
02-21-2007, 08:10 PM
1980 Olympic Semfinal...USA vs Russia

I've never been a big Nationalist fan when it comes to hockey and the Olympics, but I'm not sure that atmosphere has been matched....and of course I would've been rooting for the home team exclusively in that case.

Jiggy_12
02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
1993 world series game 6...carter walk off...oh man.

I was 8 years old, lived in Toronto, and wanted to go to that game more than anything.

socalwingfan
02-21-2007, 08:48 PM
'97 Stanley Cup to see Stevie Y finally hoist the cup over this head.

calgaryrocks
02-21-2007, 10:14 PM
'02 salt lake gold medal game(Canada 5 - U.S. 2)
finally winning gold in the olympics, and singing the national anthem as the americans lose at home to canada

icarus
02-22-2007, 05:03 AM
I'd like to watch something in the Colosseum of ancient Rome.

Oh and Game 6 in Montreal 1989 naturally.

nfotiu
02-22-2007, 08:18 AM
'02 salt lake gold medal game(Canada 5 - U.S. 2)
finally winning gold in the olympics, and singing the national anthem as the americans lose at home to canada
I was at that game, it was pretty awesome. But I'd trade it for seeing the Flames win the cup in the Saddledome.

burn_baby_burn
02-22-2007, 09:02 AM
I'd like to watch something in the Colosseum of ancient Rome.

Oh and Game 6 in Montreal 1989 naturally.

That would be pretty cool. The Colosseum in ancient Rome. Great answer. :cool:

mykalberta
02-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Rome Gladiators sometime in BC
Summit Series, game 8 in Russia.

MYK

habernac
02-22-2007, 12:02 PM
hmmm....

I'd love to see the Ottawa Silver Seven Stanley Cup game where one-eyed Frank McGee scored 14 goals.

Phantom Joe Malone's NHL record 7 goal game.

Any of the 56-60 Cup Finals for the Habs.
Any of the 76-79 Cup Finals.

itcrossedtheline
02-22-2007, 12:16 PM
I would really like to go back to the Masters when Tiger first won it.

I don't think anybody truly appreciated how big of a victory that was. Also this was the first glimpse of his dominance.

I believe the year was 1997

Sainters7
02-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Lots of great games to choose from...too many, in fact. But I just cant think of any that would match the intensity of being in Moscow for game 8 of the Canada/USSR Summit Series in '72.

troutman
02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
For the ladies:

The ancient Olympics in Greece. All the athletes were nude.

transplant99
02-22-2007, 02:16 PM

End of story.

RougeUnderoos
02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Balboa vs. Lang II

I cheered in the theatre, I can't imagine what it would have been like to actually be there in person.

OilersBaby
02-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Hockey is my fav sport to watch on a regular basis, but I think I would pick a World Cup soccer Finals as the one to watch, no specific game in mind, but the atmosphere would be AWESOME! The 1998 Spain-Nigeria game wouldve been pretty unreal to watch.

OilersBaby
02-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Football. Super Bowl XXXII - Denver v. Green Bay
Baseball. Game 6, 1993 World Series - Toronto v. Philly
Basketball. 1992 East Regional Final - Duke v. Kentucky

That would be my choice for NCAA as well. I don't like Christian Laetner or PUKE and I think it was his shot that won it at the buzzer, but that would have been an unreal game to watch.......go WILDCATS!

Haha they both suck this year, they're both going to be unranked.

Sainters7
02-22-2007, 03:41 PM
For the ladies:

The ancient Olympics in Greece. All the athletes were nude.

...too bad for them women weren't allowed in the stadiums back then.

Sainters7
02-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Balboa vs. Lang II

I cheered in the theatre, I can't imagine what it would have been like to actually be there in person.

Balboa vs. Drago in Moscow(actually Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, but who's counting?) wouldve been amazing. No blocking at all!! How many headshots did Rocky take in that bout? Most realistic boxing ever...

rubecube
02-22-2007, 03:44 PM

Is that what they mean when they refer to "the ol' days"? :D

GirlySports
02-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Hockey is my fav sport to watch on a regular basis, but I think I would pick a World Cup soccer Finals as the one to watch, no specific game in mind, but the atmosphere would be AWESOME! The 1998 Spain-Nigeria game wouldve been pretty unreal to watch.

If you're going to historical soccer route, youd have to chose the 1950 final between Uruguay and Brazil. Ever see 200,000 Brazillians in a stadium cry?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maracanazo

burn_baby_burn
02-22-2007, 03:56 PM
hmmm....

I'd love to see the Ottawa Silver Seven Stanley Cup game where one-eyed Frank McGee scored 14 goals.

Phantom Joe Malone's NHL record 7 goal game.

Any of the 56-60 Cup Finals for the Habs.
Any of the 76-79 Cup Finals.

The game when Frank McGee scored 14 goals. Wasn't that against the team from the Yukon? When Ottawa took it easy on them, the Yukon team said they wern't that impressed with Ottawa and that McGee was overated. Next game he nets 14.

troutman
02-22-2007, 04:01 PM

They were allowed at the orgies.

icarus
02-22-2007, 09:11 PM
They were allowed at the orgies.
Not in all cases.

icarus
02-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Rome Gladiators sometime in BC

There wasn't much of that until the Common Era (CE) actually.

KTown
02-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Game 6 2004 Stanley Cup Final Flames and Tampa Bay, with seats right behind the flame bench to yell at them to go upstais after geli popped the game winner that no one saw.

burn_baby_burn
02-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Game 6 2004 Stanley Cup Final Flames and Tampa Bay, with seats right behind the flame bench to yell at them to go upstais after geli popped the game winner that no one saw.

I was at that game. And that play happened so fast I would challenge anyone there, that could honestly look me in the face and say that they thought that that puck was in the instince it happened. They even showed the replay on the jumbotron (different angle and not slowed down) and knowbody had any clue. I didn't find out about it till about an hour after the game.

Prototype
02-23-2007, 03:34 PM
I was at that game. And that play happened so fast I would challenge anyone there, that could honestly look me in the face and say that they thought that that puck was in the instince it happened.

I remember what I said after my Dad and I watched the play at home:

"Something that close, you HAVE to go upstairs. Weither the cup was on the line or not... you have to go upstairs."

In answer to your question...

Hockey: Calgary winning the Cup in the Montreal Forum (sorry Habernac).
Baseball: "The World Series Walkoff" Jays vs. Phillies
Basketball: Any game Jordan played in his prime. Pre-Wizards.
Golf: Weir winning the Masters.
Football: The last Superbowl for obvious reasons.

burn_baby_burn
02-23-2007, 04:21 PM
I remember what I said after my Dad and I watched the play at home:

"Something that close, you HAVE to go upstairs. Weither the cup was on the line or not... you have to go upstairs."

In answer to your question...

Hockey: Calgary winning the Cup in the Montreal Forum (sorry Habernac).
Baseball: "The World Series Walkoff" Jays vs. Phillies
Basketball: Any game Jordan played in his prime. Pre-Wizards.
Golf: Weir winning the Masters.
Football: The last Superbowl for obvious reasons.

I meant anyone in attendance. At the time of the play, everyone in that end behind the net stood up. But immediately sat down as the play continued. I said to the guy beside me "that must have been close". But that was the last we heard of it.

As for your football selection. No interest in seeing the 1958 NFL title game? The first overtime game in history and so started the legend of Johnny Unitas.

RougeUnderoos
02-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Seeing Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics would be a pretty cool event to be at. Added bonus of seeing Hitler storm out of the stadium on those little feet.

hereandthere
02-24-2007, 12:11 PM
So many to choose from. Here goes.

Hockey: Canada winning Gold in 2002. For actual game.
Hockey: crowd singing national anthem. For entertainment purposes in
Edmonton. Singing the anthem with thousands of others would
bring a few chills down the spine. Any of the finals from last year.
Baseball: Toronto first world series win in Atlanta. The shock of the fans
that the banner will fly in Canada.
Track and Field: Canada wins the 4 x 100 relay in Atlanta during the
Olympics
Golf: Mike weir wins masters.
This a real hard topic to choose. Those are some at the top of my head.

KTown
02-24-2007, 02:14 PM
I was at that game. And that play happened so fast I would challenge anyone there, that could honestly look me in the face and say that they thought that that puck was in the instince it happened. They even showed the replay on the jumbotron (different angle and not slowed down) and knowbody had any clue. I didn't find out about it till about an hour after the game.

I'm saying what I know now, I changed the thread abit to travel back in time.

Antithesis
02-24-2007, 05:04 PM
- NY Giants vs. Brooklyn Dodgers, October 3, 1951: The Shot Heard 'Round The World ("The Giants win the pennant!)
- Canada vs. USA 2002 Olympics Gold Medal Game
- Blue Jays vs. Phillies, 1993 World Series Game 6

burn_baby_burn
02-26-2007, 03:51 PM
- NY Giants vs. Brooklyn Dodgers, October 3, 1951: The Shot Heard 'Round The World ("The Giants win the pennant!)

Bobby Thomson! Have you heard the radio call for that? Apparantly the radio stations didn't record or keep the tapes for games back then. But a fan tapped the game off of his radio. Don't know it thats a 100% true, but that is what I heard.

Edit: Here is a good read of the famous play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_Heard_%27Round_the_World_%28baseball%29

Prototype
02-26-2007, 04:04 PM
As for your football selection. No interest in seeing the 1958 NFL title game? The first overtime game in history and so started the legend of Johnny Unitas.

I'd only been a casual fan up until about 5 years ago, where I put my alliance on a team. That team is the Colts. I don't know much of the history, other than they once played in Baltimore. As much as the history of the event would be great, I'll take the players I know over the players I don't.

Antithesis
02-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Bobby Thomson! Have you heard the radio call for that? Apparantly the radio stations didn't record or keep the tapes for games back then. But a fan tapped the game off of his radio. Don't know it thats a 100% true, but that is what I heard.

Edit: Here is a good read of the famous play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_Heard_%27Round_the_World_%28baseball%29

I've only heard part of it ... the, "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!" portion. The video of the home run and that part of the call are included in ESPN's Greatest Sports Moments of the Century ... one of my favourite video clips of all time. If you have a chance, try and acquire it somehow ... I'd send it but it's 50 MB.

burn_baby_burn
02-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I've only heard part of it ... the, "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!" portion. The video of the home run and that part of the call are included in ESPN's Greatest Sports Moments of the Century ... one of my favourite video clips of all time. If you have a chance, try and acquire it somehow ... I'd send it but it's 50 MB.

I have seen it before. I think it was on Ken Burn's Baseball. Truly a very exciting event in Baseball history.

burn_baby_burn
02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
I'd only been a casual fan up until about 5 years ago, where I put my alliance on a team. That team is the Colts. I don't know much of the history, other than they once played in Baltimore. As much as the history of the event would be great, I'll take the players I know over the players I don't.

I can appreciate that. Personally I have kind of a sour spot for the current Colts. Irsay screwed arguably the best fans in the league. Baltimore loved the Colts and its a shame that the team name, colors, and history coudn't be kept in Baltimore. Like how the league made Model leave the Browns as part of Cleveland, and started the Ravens as essentially an expansion team. But I guess that is all in the past.

Maritime Q-Scout
02-26-2007, 05:14 PM
The more I think of it, the more the same game keeps coming back

it was a game I was at, does that count?

First Choice: Game 6, Stanley Cup Finals 2004 (was at)

Second Choice: World Junior Final 2003 (was at)

Third Choice: 2003 NHL Entry Draft (wasn't at) but my favourite player was a potential 1st overall pick, woulda been awesome to see him go at #1 (which he did)

Jiggy_12
02-26-2007, 11:51 PM
First Choice: Game 6, Stanley Cup Finals 2004 (was at)

Interesting choice. I can't say that is something I would want to re-live myself. The whole day leading up to the game was amazing though.

burn_baby_burn
02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Interesting choice. I can't say that is something I would want to re-live myself. The whole day leading up to the game was amazing though.

It was an incredible day. The biggest thing I remember about that game was just sitting there in stunned disbelive after St. Louis scored. I just sat in my seat for about 20 minutes after the game before I walked out of the dome. Personally, I would much rather relive game 6 vs Detroit or San Jose. The atmosphere outside the Dome after both those games was amazing. I don't think I'll ever relive anything like that for awhile.

Golden Jet
02-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Super Bowl III NY Jets & Joe Namath vs Baltimore Colts & ol' Johnny Unitas. Namath guaranteed a victory for the Jets who no one gave a chance of beating the Colts.

troutman
02-28-2007, 12:40 PM
The Rumble in the Jungle - Ali v. Foreman

Donvan Bailey and the relay team win Gold in Atlanta.

Evil Kneivel attempts to jump the Snake River Canyon.

Any of the 3 Patriot Super Bowl victories.

Montreal Expos vs. LA Dodgers playoff series at the Big O.

Jeff Garcia leads game winning drive vs. HAM for Grey Cup.

Game 6, 1989 in MTL; Game 6 CGY vs. DET 2004

Les Bleus win the World Cup at home in Paris.

phaneuf_train
02-28-2007, 11:35 PM
I would have to say game 7 against Vancouver in 04.

4X4
03-02-2007, 01:26 AM
There wasn't much of that until the Common Era (CE) actually.

Oh there was plenty of that BCE, but not in the colosseum. Colosseo wasn't built until 79.

May 25 1989, Montreal Forum is top of my list.

A really great game to be at if you were a kings fan would have been the Miracle on Manchester (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_on_Manchester).

Aw hell, the greasers lost, it'd have been a good game for a Flames fan too.

burn_baby_burn
03-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Super Bowl III NY Jets & Joe Namath vs Baltimore Colts & ol' Johnny Unitas. Namath guaranteed a victory for the Jets who no one gave a chance of beating the Colts.

That was a huge moment in NFL history. It made the AFL credible to the rest of the football world. The Chiefs following up the Jets the next year was the icing on the cake for the AFL.

Its interesting to hear players from the Jets and the Colts talk about Super Bowl III. Namaith gets excited every time I hear him talk about it. The Colts players really took that lose hard. The one LB from that team, his name escapes me at the moment, said he could beat the Jets 1000 times in a row. It still woudn't erase the hurt from Super Bowl III. Even the win in Super Bowl V coudn't erase the pain from the lose to the Jets.

looooob
03-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I was at that game. And that play happened so fast I would challenge anyone there, that could honestly look me in the face and say that they thought that that puck was in the instince it happened. They even showed the replay on the jumbotron (different angle and not slowed down) and knowbody had any clue. I didn't find out about it till about an hour after the game.for the record, I don't think the goal was in...but I was at the game, and behind that net (and waay up high). and I said to the stranger beside me "I think that was in". he had happened to take a few pics with his cellphone, but our evidence was far from conclusive

I'd have liked to have attended the Expos home games in the 94 World series:whaa:

dionfan
03-12-2007, 05:21 PM
i would really like to see game 8 of the summit series. i wasnt alive to witness everything, but apparently all of canada had literally come to a stop during the game. if a hockey game can cause an entire nation to come to a standstill, it must have been quite the game.