PDA

View Full Version : So how does the boss respond?

Sylvanfan
10-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Well in light of the Yankees collapse one has to believe that the boss will not react lightly. It's now going to be at least 4 years since the Yankees won the series and they didn't even get there in 2 of the last 3 years. This years club seriously lacked the pitching ace required to close the deal and that ultimately bit them big time in this series.

I think Joe Torre will not be back to manage the Yanks next year. He's done a great job, but I think he may be a bit too used to winning if there is such a thing, and might lack the required drive to keep them on top. I think he made a few questionable decisions in the series and that it could be time for a shakeup in the Bronx. IMO bringing in Vazquez over Loiaza after Loiaza had pitched pretty well in game 5 was a bit strange. Also the fact that he kept using Gordon despite his inablitly to get outs in the entire series could loom large. I also supspect GM Brian Cashman(?) might be done as well. I mean he's basically allowed to go out and aquire anyone so he really has no excuse for not having the pitching required.

Flickered Flame
10-21-2004, 09:00 AM
I don't thinK Torre will be fired but I do think the Cashman will move on...I'd also safe to say the Giambi, Clark, Olerud, Brown, Loaiza, Sierra, Heredia, maybe even Quantrill will all be let go. So, I think the Yankees will have a new first basemen, probably a new second baseman, I think Beltran will sign in NY making Bernie Williams the DH. Obviously they need a few new starting pitchers plus some bullpen help especially a couple of reliable leftys.

Sylvanfan
10-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Any chance they do something like try to move Jeter to 2nd, put AROD back to short and go get a couple of new guys on the corners. Of course all this would't address the fact that after Mussina they don't scare anyone with their pitching. I agree that the guys you've singled out will all be gone though.

dirk diggler
10-21-2004, 09:13 AM
I agree there will be a few guys possibly gone next year, but what team is going to take on the contracts of certain players like Giambi and Brown... i think the Yankees are stuck with those guys unless they pay a bunch of their salary.. it really looks good to see a team spend that much and not win for the last 3-4 years.. Steinbrenner has been remarkably patient with the team and Joe Torre, but this might send him over the edge. Go SOX

Cowperson
10-21-2004, 01:05 PM
He chocks it up to a fluke since it hasn't happened in 100 years prior.

The days of Billy Martin/George Steinbrenner are probably in the past.

I would think as well he recognizes that the big money is in the percentages, that fielding a great team that consistently gets to the playoffs every season is a lot more lucrative than flying off the handle and exploding the product just because of a fluke.

He tweaks, but he does not delete(s).

Cowperson

nfotiu
10-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Cowperson@Oct 21 2004, 07:05 PM
He chocks it up to a fluke since it hasn't happened in 100 years prior.

The days of Billy Martin/George Steinbrenner are probably in the past.

I would think as well he recognizes that the big money is in the percentages, that fielding a great team that consistently gets to the playoffs every season is a lot more lucrative than flying off the handle and exploding the product just because of a fluke.

He tweaks, but he does not delete(s).

Cowperson
They'll have a hard time doing much. They have some serious pitching holes, and their whole team is under contract next year. Most of the guys they'd want to get rid of are completely untradeable with their bloated salaries(ie kevin brown at 15 million!). The Yankees payroll is already 180 million, they will be paying 100 million in revenue sharing/luxury taxes. Their revenue is estimated just over 300 million, that doesn't leave a lot left for new players or a profit. Things aren't looking good for them in the short term.

Fobulous
10-21-2004, 01:37 PM
I doubt you can put all the blame on Torre.

I think you would have to look at the entire team. They were one inning away from the World Series and just gave up all heart.

When you have the players like you do on the Yankees even I could manage them to a world series. That is if the players put all they had into the games.

I think all the players and the manager lost heart and just assumed that they were going to win. As soon as you start to assume stuff like that you are in trouble.

Boston had more heart, and they showed it.

nik-
10-21-2004, 01:55 PM
I think Torre is gone, which sucks, but he just can't seem to motivate the BIG money teams with the mercenary players. The Yankees that won before had high payroll, but there was a core that was there for a few years, and the players that were brought in last minute weren't big ego players, but vets that helped out. (ie: Chuck Knoblauch, Boggs, Clemens) Now he has all these big "star" players like Sheffield and Giambi, this is the way Steinbrenner seems to want to do it and Torre can't seem to roll with it.

I think they're gonna go after Soriano again, and if not "maybe" Garciaparra and move him to second, but I think Soriano is the better bet. Brown has to go, that guy is garbage, don't know what happened to him, just too old I guess.

I'm personally more concerned with what happens to the Astros next year as they're my team. If Clemens stay, Pettitte is healthy, Oswalt has another decent year, and they keep Beltran (hands off George), then next year they'll contend again, maybe some more bullpen help too.

habernac
10-21-2004, 10:05 PM
they'll probably just spend more money.....

:P

calgaryred
10-21-2004, 10:15 PM
If Torre never won them a championship then I would agree his ass is gone, but this guy brought several chamionship to the big apple. If anything the players will change not the coach.