PDA

View Full Version : Getting somebody at the airport

shane_c
02-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I have to pick someone up at the airport on Friday morning and am not sure where to go once I get up that way. I'll be going Deerfoot N, what exit do I get off at? Where do I go after that. I've never picked anyone up there before but have always lost my bearings anytime I've gotten the cab up there to depart. Only thing I can remember is that at some point the road splits for departures and arrivals, I'm guessing I would go to arrivals. Is it expensive to park up there and go in to wait for someone. Is the parking relatively close by the terminal so that when we come out with the bags we don't have far to go?

Barnes
02-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Deerfoot to airport trail. When you turn into the airport get over left to the short term parking. You don't have to pay if your there for under an hour.

ah123
02-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Airport Trail, get onto Barlow from there (follow the signs basically or go to maps.google.ca and get directions there)... As for parking, if you go to short term parking, the first 30 minutes are free and it is $4 for every 30 minutes after that, so if you time it right, you can basically park for free...

Hope that helps...

arsenal
02-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Go deerfoot north, and follow the signs that say airport. It will be on your right hand side. Drive down that road (not sure the name) and you will want to turn right again. This should bring you to the terminal, but there maybe one more right turn.
The road does split, you will want to get in your left 2 lanes. It will split again into short term and long term parking. Go into the short term parking area. From the parking garage, it is easy to walk into the arrivals section. You will need their flight number to see what gate they are arriving at.
Find out about what time they are going to be arriving (flight number) and check the calgary airport website to see if they are on time or delayed. This is important, as if you are in short term stay for under 30 minutes, you will get free parking. If you there for about an hour, i think it is like 1 or 2 dollars. Not sure exactly as when I have ever picked someone up, I have been in and out in under 30 minutes.

Jayems
02-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I don't know if you can still do it, but we always park in the short-term (there are two areas for short-term, but go to the one gate on the left. (It will make sense when you're there).

Anyway, look at the ticket or your watch, and every 25 minutes of so, go get your car and take it out past the booths. If your are under 30 mins, it is free. (This is about 6mths old info here, but i think you can still do it). Anyway, just make the loop again and keep doing this until they arrive. Free parking. :) Just a little work.

@theCBE
02-12-2007, 12:27 PM
This is important, as if you are in short term stay for under 30 minutes, you will get free parking. If you there for about an hour, i think it is like 1 or 2 dollars.

Actually its more like $3.50 for every half an hour after the first free half .. it used to be $1.50 a couple years ago when the short term just started.

If you are confident that you were in and out in half an hour.. or you are just pushing up to your time limit then go to the credit card only line.. there is never anyone there.. you scan your own pass and go. I actually went there once when I was 5 min over because i didn't have any cash, and it still said no charge.

brownie
02-12-2007, 01:14 PM
What I usually do is get the person to call me as soon as they get off thier plane,and if you live about 20 mins to a half an hour away you can just swing by and pick them up without even parking.By the time they get thier luggage I am there and just pick them up on the sidewalk,works great if you live relatively close to airport.

ericschand
02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Lots of directions to get to the airport.

Do you have their flight info?

If so, then go to http://www.yyc.com

From there, check the arrival time. See if the board lists the flight
as early or late.

Then, on the left, click "Flight Tracking". Follow the instructions.

If you live 20 minutes away, as I do, watch the flight in the tracker.
When it begins to go down (most start at 30,000 feet or higher),
say down to 25,000 ft, leave immediately!

By the time I drive to the airport, park in the short term (free), and
get inside, I usually wait about 5 minutes and out they come. On
occaision I might be late, but never more than a few minutes.
On the way out, no payment.

Also, while the signs say 30 minutes, they must ask for money depending
on how busy the airport is. Once I was there over one hour waiting
for a friend to clear customs, but the place was packed. On the way out,
no charge.

ers

STeeLy
02-12-2007, 03:30 PM
If they're flying from within Canada, I believe your Gate is either A, B (not sure about B) and D as C is for ALL international Arrivals.

If they're flying WestJet or Harmony, they'll be at gate D unless they fly in from outside Canada. Air Canada would be at A. Otherwise, you will have to check at the airport.

SpitFire40
02-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I just go there when the flight arrives, park somewhere withing 5 minutes of the airport wait, then go and drive, around, and around, and around until I see whoever i'm picking up.

MoneyGuy
02-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Do what I do. When I'm being picked up, I take out the old cell phone just when I'm just about ready and call my dear driver (who is parked nearby for free) and when I come out the door...voila, there they are. Works great.

Winsor_Pilates
02-12-2007, 04:55 PM
the first 30 minutes are free and it is $4 for every 30 minutes after that
These are the correct prices. There seems to be a few different prices being thrown out, but I can assure you this is correct.

And the short term parking is on the far right side of the parking lots, but left of the pick up/drop off ramps.

Winsor_Pilates
02-12-2007, 04:56 PM
If they're flying from within Canada, I believe your Gate is either A, B (not sure about B) and D as C is for ALL international Arrivals.

If they're flying WestJet or Harmony, they'll be at gate D unless they fly in from outside Canada. Air Canada would be at A. Otherwise, you will have to check at the airport.

And what that means for the parking lot is, far end if it's AC, close to entrance if it's WJ.

jolinar of malkshor
02-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Meeting place C is the only international pick up area. Meeting place A, is Air Canada....meeting place D is West Jet.

arsenal
02-12-2007, 06:34 PM
i was just guessing with the prices. It's been a few years since i have picked anyone up at the airport ;)