PDA

View Full Version : Good books for the Ladies

Bench Warmer
02-12-2007, 09:49 AM
I've seen a few 'what book are you into right now' threads but thought I'd throw this one out there. Thinking about getting my wife a book or two or three for our anniversary and was wondering what book's are your wives/gf's/ladies into? Any ones you would suggest?

mots
02-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Alchemist - a good read for anyone

Frank the Tank
02-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Hmmm, theres one about dog named marley or something that my wife loved. Can't remember the title though.

Engine09
02-12-2007, 12:00 PM
That would be "Marley & Me" - John Grogan

Anyone who likes animals will enjoy it, dog peopel will love it.

Robbob
02-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Alchemist - a good read for anyone

That's the third time that I have heard that book being recommended in the last little while. Might be worth checking out.

FireFly
02-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Anything that Christopher Moore has written, especially Lamb. It's hilarious.

Prototype
02-12-2007, 01:03 PM
That would be "Marley & Me" - John Grogan

Anyone who likes animals will enjoy it, dog peopel will love it.

My wife just finished this one... said it was pretty slow at parts, but she couldn't not finish it. Saw a lot of our pup in Marley.

FlameCity
02-12-2007, 01:15 PM
My sister helps manage a book store and is really good at suggesting books . . . she'd just need to know what kinds of books she's into.

4X4
02-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Funny... I was recommended the book marley and me (by a girl) because she knew I love dogs. I picked it up, read it and more or less enjoyed it, though it was a bit sappy at times.
When I saw the thread title, Icame in here to say that if your girl likes dogs, get her that book. Looks like a few people beat me to it.

Bench Warmer
02-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Well, my wife loves dogs (like I do) so Marley and Me is a must here.

My sister helps manage a book store and is really good at suggesting books . . . she'd just need to know what kinds of books she's into.

I'm not really, really sure on this one. She just finished reading the 5 people you meet in heaven and said that was good. Also read Life of Pi or something like that and said it got a little weird. We're not huge book readers and don't have a tonne of time so I'd like to get her a couple that she'll enjoy and take time to read. If your sister has any suggestions based on this limited info, that would great.

housejunk
02-12-2007, 07:59 PM
There's another recent book called "The Time Travellers Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger (sp?) that my wife and a lot of her friends loved. In the interest of full disclosure, I read it as well and ended up really enjoying it. You should definitely get it for her, it'd score you some major points.

Winsor_Pilates
02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
There's another recent book called "The Time Travellers Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger (sp?) that my wife and a lot of her friends loved. In the interest of full disclosure, I read it as well and ended up really enjoying it. You should definitely get it for her, it'd score you some major points.
My GF just read that too and loved it. She also really liked "The Kite Runner".

And like Bench Warmers wife, she liked the 5 People you Meet in Heaven and thought Life of Pi was wierd, so their tastes seem similar.

Her sis just gave me a book she really loved. It's called "Wickid" by Gregory Maguire. I haven't started it yet, but it looks pretty cool. It's the Life story of the wicked witch of the west (Wizard of Oz).

Bench Warmer
02-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Awesome - thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'm a completely overwhelmed dummy when I walk into Chapters so this helps alot...

BlackEleven
02-13-2007, 08:41 AM
My girlfirend liked the book The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. I also enjoyed it quite a bit as well and have recommended it in a book thread before. Its told form the first person point of view of an autistic teenager.

Another one my girlfriend and her female friends like a lot is Life of Pi.

octothorp
02-13-2007, 09:31 AM
My parents gave my wife Marley & Me for Christmas, given that we recently adopted a puppy. She finished it, but pretty much hated it because of the writing style. She kept reading aloud particularly hackneyed passages to me. Obviously the book is really popular so it must have some merit, but not the best for critical readers. Of other books mentioned here, she did really enjoy the Time Traveller's Wife, Life of Pi, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

The Alexander McCall Smith books tend to be popular with the ladies, too -- I know several women who are really enthusiastic about the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series and the 2.5 Pillars of Wisdom series. And the nice thing about books that are part of a series is that if you get her one and she enjoys it, then you've got a gift to give her next year.

Frank the Tank
02-13-2007, 09:55 AM
My wife also loved "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb.

Bobblehead
02-13-2007, 10:06 AM
My wife also loved "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb.

My wife likes everything by Wally Lamb.

FlameCity
02-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Well, my wife loves dogs (like I do) so Marley and Me is a must here.

I'm not really, really sure on this one. She just finished reading the 5 people you meet in heaven and said that was good. Also read Life of Pi or something like that and said it got a little weird. We're not huge book readers and don't have a tonne of time so I'd like to get her a couple that she'll enjoy and take time to read. If your sister has any suggestions based on this limited info, that would great.

I sent my Sister an email . . . I'll post her list when I get it.

troutman
02-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Step One: Cut a hole in that book . . .

@theCBE
02-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Someone else posted Kite Runner.. its a great book for guys and girls.

If she is a girly-girl she might like a book from the Shopaholics series. I got my g/f a few of those... she found the first one kind of entertaining, indifferent about the 2nd one.. she couldn't finish the 3rd one, she was annoyed with the characters. I read a couple chapters when I was bored... felt like I was reading the script for a sex and the city episode.

FlameCity
02-13-2007, 12:36 PM

Based off that this is what she came up with off the top of her head.

Time Traveller's Wife (http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978015602943/015602943X/The-Time-Travelers-Wife?ref=Search+Books%3a+%27time+travellers+wife%2 7)
LOVELY BONES (http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978031616668/0316166685/The-Lovely-Bones-A-Novel?ref=Search+Books%3a+%27lovely+bones%27)
FOR ONE MORE DAY (http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978140130327/1401303277/For-One-More-Day?ref=Search+Books%3a+%27FOR+ONE+MORE+DAY%27)
Alchemist (http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978006112241/0061122416/Alchemist?ref=Search+Books%3a+%27Alchemist%27)
Ishmael (http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978055337540/0553375407/Ishmael?ref=Search+Books%3a+%27ishmael%27)

The Unabomber
02-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Bryce Courtenay is a really good author, The Power Of One is very popular among many lady friends, i found it quite good as well. Tom Robbins, Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates, i haven't talked to anyone that read this that hasn't enjoyed it, much like most of his books.

YziesGirl
02-17-2007, 01:42 PM

I bought 8 copies of TTTW to give as Christmas gifts and it was a HUGE hit. One of the THE best books I've ever read!

YziesGirl
02-17-2007, 01:45 PM
If she walks a little on the wildside, The Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton rates well. Vampires, Werewolves (leopards/rats), Zombies and SEX (is it weird to put them all in one sentence?).

FireFly
02-17-2007, 01:57 PM
If she walks a little on the wildside, The Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton rates well. Vampires, Werewolves (leopards/rats), Zombies and SEX (is it weird to put them all in one sentence?).

I'm a bigger fan of her Merideth Gentry series myself, but yeah, she's good.