PDA

View Full Version : No Yellow Ribbons on Hydro poles!

Frank the Tank
02-12-2007, 09:26 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2007/02/12/ribbons-poles.html

I wonder if Newfoundland Hydro could make a worse PR blunder? I think not.

Agamemnon
02-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Well... they seem to have a decent excuse;

The utility says even one staple can cut a worker's protective clothing, putting them at risk of electrical shock.

Frank the Tank
02-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Well... they seem to have a decent excuse;

The utility says even one staple can cut a worker's protective clothing, putting them at risk of electrical shock.

But how much stuff gets stapled too utility poles? All of a sudden its an issue? I find that hard to believe.

Bobblehead
02-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Shouldn't yellow ribbons ideally go on old oak trees?

Agamemnon
02-12-2007, 10:24 AM
But how much stuff gets stapled too utility poles? All of a sudden its an issue? I find that hard to believe.
I'm sure the power company would tell you zero staples is best... I assume they'd tell anyone stapling stuff to their poles to stop, charity/good cause or not. Its not like concert promoters are getting a freebie and the power company just has an axe to grind against war-wives.

Ford Prefect
02-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Shouldn't yellow ribbons ideally go on old oak trees?

Damn you Charlie Brown. Now that song is going to be running through my head all day.

As for the staple problem ... use packing tape instead and tape stuff to the poles. A proactive public education campaign on this by NF Hydro would probably accomplish more than trying to get people to stop doing what they've always been doing. People are still going to post stuff on power poles, so teach them how to do it safely.

the_hound
02-12-2007, 10:26 AM

It's only an issue because people promoting bands, garage sales etc. dont bring it to the media's attention. Although it is kinda sad, you'd think is they were going to shoot down an idea down like that they could at least provide other alternatives to stick the bows up with. A possible solution could be a small stencil and using yellow spray paint.