PDA

View Full Version : Private Parking (IMPARK) tickets

housejunk
02-11-2007, 07:37 PM
I recently recieved a notice from a collections agency regarding an unpaid parking ticket I recieved about 3 years ago. I totally forgot about it, and I can't even remember if I paid it or not. Anyways, I have a quick question: has anyone had any recent experiece dealing with Impark and/or collection agencies? I've heard some innuendo that it can potentially show up on my credit report but haven't heard anything definitive. Has this happened to anyone? Anyone you know? Thanks.

housejunk
02-11-2007, 09:07 PM
The address is different.

metallicat
02-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I took a business law class when I went to Grant MacEwan, and our teacher who was a criminal law lawyer, told us how to get out of Impark tickets, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what you do. I remember him saying though, that he generally just takes Impark tickets and rips them up.

I think that if you do get a ticket and don't pay it though, they can tow your vehicle next time you park there.

Winsor_Pilates
02-11-2007, 09:13 PM
I threw out an impark ticket once, and havn't heard since. Maybe I'm next on the collection agencies list.

kipperfan
02-11-2007, 09:15 PM
I think that if you do get a ticket and don't pay it though, they can tow your vehicle next time you park there.

Thats what my father always told me(a deviant parker! lol).....I have never heard of Impark using a collection agency.

metallicat
02-11-2007, 09:35 PM
The people that go around giving tickets, do you think they have a list, or a computer with a database full of bad parkers? I can't see them running license plates of every car they ticket...

kipperfan
02-11-2007, 09:36 PM
The people that go around giving tickets, do you think they have a list, or a computer with a database full of bad parkers? I can't see them running license plates of every car they ticket...

Good point...never thought about that.

CrusaderPi
02-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Ever since the provincial government denied them use of the registry database (because they would call people with unpaid tickets in the middle of the night) they started their own registry for delinquent payments. As a company though, they still don't have any actual authority to force you to pay tickets.

Dion
02-11-2007, 09:43 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2005/08/11/ca-impark-registry20050811.html

The province is allowing Imperial Parking to again access the personal information of drivers through its vehicle registry, 18 months after revoking it amid numerous consumer complaints.

CrusaderPi
02-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I had no idea Impark was allowed back into the registry. Thanks for that.

I'm still not paying my Impark tickets though.

Flames in 07
02-11-2007, 09:52 PM

No, they don't nor do they have the authority to enforce fines, however I believe they do have the right to tow a car with unpaid tickets, citing that your vehicle is illegally on their property.

I don't know this, but I'm guessing you will need to do something to have your car stand out, IE park it for 24 hours or something.

metallicat
02-11-2007, 09:55 PM
I just want to know the likelihood of them figuring out that you are a delinquint in terms of paying tickets. Because if the people that issue tickets aren't checking plate numbers against their database, it would seem fairly easy to park for free.

We need an "I'm an Impark meter maid, ask me anything" thread.

FLAMESBURNOIL
02-11-2007, 10:05 PM
never paid a ticket from them
have gotten collection notices about it, never showed up on my credit report...in fact correct me if i am wrong, unless you give your SIN to them, they cant touch your report - thats why again i could be wrong, shaw,atco and enmax dont show up on credit reports...

BUT

i have been towed off there property a couple of times....

housejunk
02-11-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm not concerned with the actual cost of the ticket, but I'm marginally concerned with the threat of it showing up on my credit report. As said, I've heard rumors that they can affect your credit rating, but I'm wondering if this is nothing more than a scare tactic propagated by the private parking companies.

Anyways.....if there's people out there who have ignored Impark tickets before without any credit implications, I'll tear up the letter and toss it. That being said, I can't imagine that a single unpaid ticket would adversely affect a credit rating.....

metallicat
02-11-2007, 10:20 PM
But, if you toss it out without paying, they can and apparently will tow your vehicle. I don't park in Impark all that often, so I'd rather pay the cost to park, than worry about idiots towing my car and then having to deal with all the problems associated with towing.

Barnes
02-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I am 99% sure they can't touch your credit score. I got one a few weeks ago when it was super windy. The ticket on my defog vent blew upside down at some point. They can go to hell if they think i am even going to waste a stamp on mailing it in.

Canada 02
02-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Each Christmas in recent memory, Impark does a toys for tickets campaign were you donate a toy to charity and Impark wipes the ticket off their records. Despite Impark having little recourse to persue you, it's for a good cause, and you can alleviate yourself of any future headaches with them. Just hold on to your tickets for a another 10 months

http://www.impark.com/company/toydrive06.htm

fanforever1986
02-11-2007, 11:49 PM
I have a little scrap book album of unpaid parking tickets. Just dont park in the same lot twice haha.

housejunk
02-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I tossed out their letter. I always thought that credit score rumour was BS but its good to confirm it with some other people who've been in the same situation.

brownie
02-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I tossed out their letter. I always thought that credit score rumour was BS but its good to confirm it with some other people who've been in the same situation.Housejunk,Aren't you a lawyer as stated in a previous post regarding taxes??Can't you look into this further and help all the CP'ers out,well the ones that dont pay tickets anyways.

MoneyGuy
02-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Actually, if Impark sends this to a collection agency, it will appear on your credit record. It will show up as an unpaid debt, which could bring your score down as much as 100 points, in which case you won't get a loan from any bank until it's paid.

Moneyguy
Certified Financial Planner

MattyK
02-12-2007, 08:50 AM

They must have some method to retrieve records from a central database.

I use their wireless payment method. I registered my license plate on http://www.imparkwireless.com. Every time I park, I just call them on my cell phone and punch a couple numbers into an IVR. No fumbling with change, no tickets in the window.

If the ticket peons didn't have access to a database of people who paid using this service, how else would they know which car without a ticket in the window deserves a parking fine and which car doesn't?

If they have access to this information, I can't imagine that it'd be an amazing stretch to have access to a database of bad parkers as well.

trew
02-12-2007, 09:03 AM
The last time I got an impark ticket, I sent them a couple bucks to cover the actual shortfall in time. I explained that the only legitimate claim they have to damages, the lost revenue for the spot that I unintentionally occupied without paying. I also stated that if they disagreed with me, I would be happy to go to small claims court to settle the matter, and would pay their fine if so ordered. I also explained that I charge a $10,000 fee to remove errors from my credit record, and that by placing an incorrect report on my record they consent to this charge.

Never heard anything from them, probably figured I was too crazy to bother with.

mykalberta
02-12-2007, 09:23 AM
I dont get why just just dont tow people and have them pay to get their car back. There are alot of people who dont pay their Impark tickets so why bother with the ticket, just tow?

MYK

pope04
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Years ago, I contacted Impark after they hassled me about an unpaid ticket and informed them that I wished to go to court on the matter. Never heard from them again.

Bobblehead
02-12-2007, 10:21 AM
IANAL, but I thought I read something that said Impark has the right to go after the cost of the parking but they had no right to impose penalties.

moon
02-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Actually, if Impark sends this to a collection agency, it will appear on your credit record. It will show up as an unpaid debt, which could bring your score down as much as 100 points, in which case you won't get a loan from any bank until it's paid.

Moneyguy

I don't mean to derail the thread but since the theme seems to be housejunks concern about his credit rating being effected maybe it isn't too off topci.

I have a horrible credit rating, or at least had may have improved now, and still was able to get 10,000 LOC from a bank and a mortgage for my house.

I hear people all the time,and especially from collection agencies when calling me, talk about how you will never be able to buy a house, get a loan, blah blah blah.

Was I just a freak case or is a poor credit rating just a boogeyman sent out there by people that want to scare you into paying off debts/paying them/using their services etc.

I did plenty of bad things to drop my credit rating. Didn't pay credit cards bills for over 6 months, didn't pay other bills, didn't pay collection agencies when they called for over a year at least, got involved in those buy 7 CD's for a penny and then stopped after getting the 7 CD's at first, didn't pay any impark tickets etc.

housejunk
02-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Housejunk,Aren't you a lawyer as stated in a previous post regarding taxes??Can't you look into this further and help all the CP'ers out,well the ones that dont pay tickets anyways.

Legally, there is no doubt that Impark does not have the ability to levy their parking fines on citizens. An analogous situation would be if someone parked their car on your private property, like a driveway. Just like Impark, you have no legal recourse to "impose" a fine on that individual. Only the city has the legal power to impose fines on parking violations.

So legally, there's no question that Impark doesn't have the ability to enforce their fines, and that's why you don't have to pay them. My concern goes beyond the simple legality of the tickets....its whether or not the collection agency will report the unpaid debt to a credit bureau (which they have every right to do). It's not a legal issue. I'm just not sure whether or not: a) the collection agency will report the debt and b.) whether or not the credit bureau will even bother with such a minor amount. I've heard some friends who say they will, and others who say they won't.

housejunk
02-12-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't mean to derail the thread but since the theme seems to be housejunks concern about his credit rating being effected maybe it isn't too off topci.

I have a horrible credit rating, or at least had may have improved now, and still was able to get 10,000 LOC from a bank and a mortgage for my house.

I hear people all the time,and especially from collection agencies when calling me, talk about how you will never be able to buy a house, get a loan, blah blah blah.

Was I just a freak case or is a poor credit rating just a boogeyman sent out there by people that want to scare you into paying off debts/paying them/using their services etc.

I did plenty of bad things to drop my credit rating. Didn't pay credit cards bills for over 6 months, didn't pay other bills, didn't pay collection agencies when they called for over a year at least, got involved in those buy 7 CD's for a penny and then stopped after getting the 7 CD's at first, didn't pay any impark tickets etc.

A poor credit rating is a definite concern. It generally doesn't affect whether or not you'll recieve a loan/mortgage, but it definitely affects the interest rate that you'll have to pay. Its a concern to me, since I know that even minor credit blemishes can end up costing you thousands of dollars over long periods of time. That's my concern with this Impark ticket. The amount of the ticket is meaningless. I can't even remember the ticket and I don't want to pay it, but if there is even a remote chance that it could show up on my credit report I'll swallow the indignity of sending Impark money.

housejunk
02-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Moneyguy

Moneyguy, are you sure about this? I've heard the exact same rumour from several people. A drop in your FICO score of 100 is equivalent to a tax lien/bankruptcy. I can't imagine an unpaid parking ticket would result in such a dramatic hit to your credit.

The reason I'm skeptical, is because there are literally thousands of people who simply ignore private parking tickets, and those people must have loans/mortgages as well. I've yet to hear from or of a single person who has experienced a credit hit from an unpaid parking ticket. I'm left to wonder whether it is just fear mongering.

Resolute 14
02-12-2007, 11:55 AM

I'm no expert, but from what I understand:

A bad credit score on your report will affect your interest rate, and how much you can borrow.

A debt on your report (ie: an outstanding claim against you) may cause requests for credit to be rejected until it is paid.

Robbob
02-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I've heard many people and my prof in one of my classes who just mail a few bucks to cover what they didn't use and IMPark is ok with it. The Prof did mention that you should send a letter with the cheque and in the letter it has to state that by cashing the cheque you are no longer responsible. I forget the wording or legalspeak used but in any event if they cash it you are off the hook.

Tron_fdc
02-12-2007, 12:50 PM
I ran up a large bill with those a-holes about 8 years ago to the tune of around $400.00 in unpaid fines. I'd just toss them and never worry about it, even when their "collection agency" would call me every day and tell me to "govern myself accordingly".

To this day I have never given them a cent, and have gone through numerous credit reports with my banker on a number of different occasions (mortgages, LOC, etc) and have never seen anything to do with collections from Impark.

I also remember seeing a TVshow on this, and it was mentioned (can't remember by who) tht you can't report a collection or report a bad debt to the government for anything less than $100. Not sure if that's still true or not though.

Barnes
02-12-2007, 01:01 PM
It is illegal for Impark to give you a ticket. They only people authorized to give tickets are city bylaw officers. A ticket indicates some kind of fine. It would be like me putting a note on your car if you parked in my driveway saying you owed me 50 bucks. You are only responsible to pay the amount of the parking fee. The only legal recourse for them is to take you to small claims court, which costs $100 for them. They won't do it. They never have.

The "collection" company they use is City Collection Company (sounds official and scary doesn't it) is a subsidiary of ImPark. Even if they are a legitimate collection agency, I am pretty sure Canada's 2 credit reporting companies do not accept debts to privately held parking companies.

Dion
02-12-2007, 01:14 PM
I dont get why just just dont tow people and have them pay to get their car back. There are alot of people who dont pay their Impark tickets so why bother with the ticket, just tow?

MYK

Impark could solve the whole problem by hiring people to man booths at their lots :whistle:

BlackArcher101
02-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I thought a collections company can only affect your credit rating if they had your SIN?

MattyK
02-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Impark could solve the whole problem by hiring people to man booths at their lots :whistle:

Meanwhile, parking rates double to cover the labour costs...:whistle:

Bent Wookie
02-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Here's the key:

As with any "offence" (quoted b/c im not sure u can even call it that), it is your right to plead not guilty and have your day in court. Basically, when impark or the collection agency calls, tell them you wish to plead not guilty. Maybe you didnt know it was a pay lot, maybe your ticket fell off the dash or maybe the employee that gave you the ticket read it wrong. Who knows.

Robbob
02-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Bottom line is that I don't think they care if 98% of the people in the lots are properly paying. Plus if even 30% of the people who got collection letters paid them that would cover costs for labour and mail.

Not a big deal.

metal_geek
02-12-2007, 02:55 PM
This topic seems fitting enough to add a comment about collections and credit reports..

If you do get referred to a collection agency and it is a debt that shows up on your credit score. It will remain on your credit report for 7 years from the LAST transaction date on that debt. So if you have 6 year old parking ticket on your credit report, and a collection agency collects or you settle for even 1 dollar, that will "reset" your 7 year timer from that date.

In this case you don't pay them, and in 1 year the credit mark is gone... you do pay them and you have 7 more years to look forward to 27% LoC interest rates.. Right or wrong, sometimes inaction is the best way to correct past mistakes...
________
Effects Of Zoloft (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

jolinar of malkshor
02-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Pay the ticket people and it will not go on your credit report. Why do so many people think that they do not have to pay for a ticket if they received it in an impark lot?

moon
02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Pay the ticket people and it will not go on your credit report. Why do so many people think that they do not have to pay for a ticket if they received it in an impark lot?

Because as many people have pointed out on this thread you don't have to pay them.

jolinar of malkshor
02-12-2007, 06:26 PM
And because they can be ****ing scumbags. Pay for your parking, tag clearly visible, complain to loser writing ticket being told to buzz off (dude obviously made an error but didn't want to go through the reversing process), complaining to the head office, being told to buzz off.

The assumption that the company always does the right thing when it comes to Impark is wildly baseless assumption. There is no recourse if something is wrongly put on your credit rating.

If you they gave you a ticket in error....I agree...one should take the appropriate steps to fix the problem. If that means not paying...well fine. But to not pay it because you don't like the company but you deserve the ticket. Well....that is called THEFT.

jolinar of malkshor
02-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Because as many people have pointed out on this thread you don't have to pay them.

Yes you do have to pay them....just because they may not have a means to collect the fine...doesn't mean you DO NOT have to pay them.

moon
02-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Yes you do have to pay them....just because they may not have a means to collect the fine...doesn't mean you DO NOT have to pay them.

Then why do I have to pay them. Because it is the "right" thing to do?

If they can't force me to pay tell why I HAVE to pay them.

jolinar of malkshor
02-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Then why do I have to pay them. Because it is the "right" thing to do?

If they can't force me to pay tell why I HAVE to pay them.

Well ****......you must be one of those people that take all the stuff out of a an honor system then without paying eh.....they can't force you to pay...so you must just take it eh.

Nice attitude buddy.

moon
02-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Well ****......you must be one of those people that take all the stuff out of a an honor system then without paying eh.....they can't force you to pay...so you must just take it eh.

Nice attitude buddy.

I have paid to park there in the past but it doesn't mean I have to.

You asked why people are acting like they don't have to pay them and I pointed out that the reason is because you don't have to pay them.

I never commented on whether it was the right thing to do or not, but in this case I am not going to be too choked about the loses that a company like Impark is forced to take. Perhaps if they didn't create phony collection agencies and try to bully/scare people into paying them money owed on false tickets while calling them at 2 am I would be more sympathetic, but Impark has shown itself to be a bunch of a-holes in this regard.

Incinerator
02-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Impark has shown itself to be a bunch of a-holes in this regard.

That and they're too cheap to hire an attendant for each of their lots, if they had a gate there they wouldn't have to worry about people not paying. Considering how much money they rake in it's their own fault for being too cheap to cough up $15 an hour to hire some joe schmo to sit in a booth on their lots. I bet they lose at least twice as much with people not paying to park.

WestEndFlamesFan
02-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Nice attitude buddy.
Do you work for Impark or what? If so, maybe you can help me with a rumour that I heard, that Impark meter maids get paid commision for every ticket they give out.

Let me ask you this, if you had parked in a lot where none of the machines were working (this actually happened to me at Eau Claire market as I was going to a movie) and you get a ticket, even though you looked at all the machines, would you feel that you had to pay the 60 dollar fine for something that is entirely their fault.

Really, the company has almost no employees, an immense stack of money printing properties and they can't even keep their machines running, and I get a ticket for it, what a joke.

Or how about if you went to school, paid the machine, parked where everyone else was, that being not in the yellow lines, but with enough room that cars could go through, then found that you, along with about 40 other people all had 60 dollar fines for parking in the 'laneway'.

I'm not saying that every parking fine is unwarrented but it's not like Impark goes out of their way to act sensibly. At all.

And just because somebody doesn't pay a parking ticket does not mean that that person would not follow the 'honour system', that's just riduculous. Come on pal, not everyone is a saint like you, but were not all inherently evil either.

jolinar of malkshor
02-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Do you work for Impark or what? If so, maybe you can help me with a rumour that I heard, that Impark meter maids get paid commision for every ticket they give out.

No I don't work for Impark.

Let me ask you this, if you had parked in a lot where none of the machines were working (this actually happened to me at Eau Claire market as I was going to a movie) and you get a ticket, even though you looked at all the machines, would you feel that you had to pay the 60 dollar fine for something that is entirely their fault.

Like I said before....if you don't deserve a ticket....then you have a case of not paying it....maybe you didn't read that part....

Really, the company has almost no employees, an immense stack of money printing properties and they can't even keep their machines running, and I get a ticket for it, what a joke.

If you received a ticket because the machine was out of order....then that sucks...I agree.....but again, that is not what I am talking about.

I'm not saying that every parking fine is unwarrented but it's not like Impark goes out of their way to act sensibly. At all.

I don't use Impark that often...but of the 20-30 times I have used it....I haev never had a problem. So can't really comment on that.

And just because somebody doesn't pay a parking ticket does not mean that that person would not follow the 'honour system', that's just riduculous. Come on pal, not everyone is a saint like you, but were not all inherently evil either.

Lets take a look at a few of the comments shall we.

Mail them a spoon and tell them to eat your ass

I took a business law class when I went to Grant MacEwan, and our teacher who was a criminal law lawyer, told us how to get out of Impark tickets, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what you do. I remember him saying though, that he generally just takes Impark tickets and rips them up.

I threw out an impark ticket once

I'm still not paying my Impark tickets though.

never paid a ticket from them

if there's people out there who have ignored Impark tickets before without any credit implications, I'll tear up the letter and toss it

can go to hell if they think i am even going to waste a stamp on mailing it in.

I have a little scrap book album of unpaid parking tickets

I'd just toss them and never worry about it

I think that says it all. So go throw you "not everyone is a saint" comment out the fricken window.

Bench Warmer
02-12-2007, 08:13 PM
I recently recieved a notice from a collections agency regarding an unpaid parking ticket I recieved about 3 years ago. I totally forgot about it, and I can't even remember if I paid it or not. Anyways, I have a quick question: has anyone had any recent experiece dealing with Impark and/or collection agencies? I've heard some innuendo that it can potentially show up on my credit report but haven't heard anything definitive. Has this happened to anyone? Anyone you know? Thanks.

Have had this happen to me a couple times before. They can't do much about it. Next time they call, when they ask for you, tell them that no such person lives at this place and they have a wrong number. I've never been bugged after that.

This is what I've been told but Impark is not an enforcement agency therefore cannot enforce tickets. The power they have is they can remove your vehicle from their property if you have no ticket/expired ticket/etc. If you have multiple offenses, they may tow your vehicle as well - I'm not sure. Or, they can send a collection agency after you with annoying phone calls but that's about it...

MoneyGuy
02-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Moneyguy, are you sure about this? I've heard the exact same rumour from several people. A drop in your FICO score of 100 is equivalent to a tax lien/bankruptcy. I can't imagine an unpaid parking ticket would result in such a dramatic hit to your credit.

The reason I'm skeptical, is because there are literally thousands of people who simply ignore private parking tickets, and those people must have loans/mortgages as well. I've yet to hear from or of a single person who has experienced a credit hit from an unpaid parking ticket. I'm left to wonder whether it is just fear mongering.

I am sure about it appearing on the credit report. I checked with an associate who is in this business before making my post. I'm not certain about the 100 pts. My associate quoted that number, but I can't swear to it's accuracy.

Bottom line: If this "debt" is turned over to a collection agency, it will affect your credit rating.

Crazy Flamer
02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
I am sure about it appearing on the credit report. I checked with an associate who is in this business before making my post. I'm not certain about the 100 pts. My associate quoted that number, but I can't swear to it's accuracy.

Bottom line: If this "debt" is turned over to a collection agency, it will affect your credit rating.

That's funny. I've had several issues handed over to collection agencies, not one of them has ever appeared on my credit report.

Slava
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
I think that moneyguy is right with his post, and generally think that these things affect your credit. I kind of think that this thread is amusing in general; people know that they are parking illegally and want to figure out ways to beat the system. I hate Impark as much as the next guy, and basically think that they are criminals, but I still pay the fee.

I did get a ticket from them, and sent them a quick note explaining that they were charging a ridiculous amount, and that they were entitled to their money lost and nothing else. I sent them a cheque for $2.00 and noted that by them cashing this they were accepring that as full payment. It's over and done with. Yes, it cost me $2.51 and about five minutes of my time, but that is far better than a possible mark on my credit!

ken0042
02-14-2007, 01:54 PM
That's funny. I've had several issues handed over to collection agencies, not one of them has ever appeared on my credit report.

One trick I used to use when I was younger, I would right away send a payment to the original debt holder. So if it was Canadian Tire, I would send CT the payment. When the collection agency would call back I would explain that I had just made a payment. Because the Collection Agency gets paid by buying the debt for a percentage of its value, they end up declining to buy it. Often it wouldn't show up on my credit as having gone to collections.

However IIRC Impark and their collection agency are one in the same, so my tip may not work.

Tron_fdc
02-14-2007, 01:56 PM
If anyone would have had their credit rating lowered it would have been me....as I mentioned I had a wack of fines from them and never paid a cent. I've been over my credit rating (as recently as yesterday) and there's nothing on it from unpaid parking tickets.

I still think that they don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to sending someone to collections and having it affect their credit rating, but I can only speak from personal experience. I'm sure if they did have a way of affecting someones credit rating they would be doing it on a daily basis, and there would be a lot more people in this thread saying it had been done to them and would be mailing poo bags to their offices.

From what I've heard they can tow your car if it's on their lot and you owe them money, but even then they can't make you pay all the fines to get it out. This happened to my brother about 12 yers ago.....he owed them money, parked without a ticket again, and they towed his car. All he did was go to the impound lot and pay for towing; the city yard didn't ask for payment on imparks behalf at all.

Again, I'm only speaking from experience. No idea what legalities are.

Shazam
02-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I think that moneyguy is right with his post, and generally think that these things affect your credit. I kind of think that this thread is amusing in general; people know that they are parking illegally and want to figure out ways to beat the system. I hate Impark as much as the next guy, and basically think that they are criminals, but I still pay the fee.

I did get a ticket from them, and sent them a quick note explaining that they were charging a ridiculous amount, and that they were entitled to their money lost and nothing else. I sent them a cheque for $2.00 and noted that by them cashing this they were accepring that as full payment. It's over and done with. Yes, it cost me $2.51 and about five minutes of my time, but that is far better than a possible mark on my credit!I've only gotten one parking ticket from Impark (back in 1996), and that is also what I did. I just sent them what it would've cost to park longer. No big deal.

Not sure why people keep getting their panties in a twist over Impark. Yeah, they're stupid. Yeah, they run their business like maroons. But they're pretty easy to deal with if you know what you're doing. They're still better than the dorks that run the Bankers Hall parkade.

Slava
02-14-2007, 02:01 PM
^^ I totally agree.

Shazam
02-14-2007, 02:01 PM
If anyone would have had their credit rating lowered it would have been me....as I mentioned I had a wack of fines from them and never paid a cent. I've been over my credit rating (as recently as yesterday) and there's nothing on it from unpaid parking tickets.I don't see why they couldn't affect your credit rating. But it costs companies money to put an entry onto your credit report, and Impark realizes that if they pulled such a stunt then people would really stop parking at their lots.

Tron_fdc
02-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't see why they couldn't affect your credit rating. But it costs companies money to put an entry onto your credit report, and Impark realizes that if they pulled such a stunt then people would really stop parking at their lots.

It's possible that no real credit agency (not the one owned by impark) would buy the debt, as the chance of collection is probably quite low. I would imagine that there aren't going to be a lot of people with over $200 in impark fines, and if a collection agency buys that debt for 50% of its value are they actually going to waste all that time for $100?

It's possible it could affect your rating if you owed them over $500, but I would think they get more people to pay the tickets an make more money by sending out scary mail and using phone call threats than they would if they sold the debt to an actual reporting member of the credit bureau.

burn_baby_burn
02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
I have a few unpaid speeding tickets in Saskatchewan and BC. They used to phone, but they gave up. I still get letters from BC to "clear this matter up immediatly, or it could affect your credit rating". A few years ago I got a loan and the bank asked me about the unpaid tickets. I just said that they were not Alberta tickets and the matter was dropped. When I got my mortgage it wasn't even brought up. A buddy of mine got a couple speeding tickets in BC about 7 years ago. I told him not to bother paying them. He didn't. A few years ago he went to get a mortgage and the bank told him he had to clean up the unpaid tickets. He phoned me all ****ed off. I told him to tell the bank that if it was a problem he would take his business across the street. He did, and the matter was dropped immediatly.

Dirty Mr. Clean
02-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Well I have had about 16 Impark tickets. They can not charge you more then the Daily maximum at the time of the incident. So if a collection agency contacts you just through it out. Then they will call you and just say you can collect if you take me to court. They will never do this because it will cost them more then ever will collect.

Vulcan
02-14-2007, 03:45 PM
I have a few unpaid speeding tickets in Saskatchewan and BC. They used to phone, but they gave up. I still get letters from BC to "clear this matter up immediatly, or it could affect your credit rating". A few years ago I got a loan and the bank asked me about the unpaid tickets. I just said that they were not Alberta tickets and the matter was dropped. When I got my mortgage it wasn't even brought up. A buddy of mine got a couple speeding tickets in BC about 7 years ago. I told him not to bother paying them. He didn't. A few years ago he went to get a mortgage and the bank told him he had to clean up the unpaid tickets. He phoned me all ****ed off. I told him to tell the bank that if it was a problem he would take his business across the street. He did, and the matter was dropped immediatly.

If you get pulled over in BC or Sask. they can put you under arrest and haul you away. Not really worth it in my opinion.