PDA

View Full Version : D.O.D. says Pentagon Manipulated Iraq Intelligence

Iowa_Flames_Fan
02-09-2007, 03:09 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/09/iraq.pentagon.intel.ap/index.html

The Department of Defense Inspector General has just issued a scathing report accusing the Pentagon of "inappropriate conduct" in how they handled the intelligence leading up to the Iraq war.

In other news, birds gotta fly and fish gotta swim.

Looger
02-09-2007, 03:13 PM
it's a little late.

now is the time to question the 'data' on iran's suspected nuclear weapons program, because this war is just beginning.

kipperfan
02-09-2007, 03:20 PM
it's a little late.

now is the time to question the 'data' on iran's suspected nuclear weapons program, because this war is just beginning.

No need to question that...i saw just last week some top notch American inteligence that showed clear satelite pictures of Iranian nuclear weapon development...................:whistle:

Azure
02-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Not surprising really.

Iowa_Flames_Fan
02-09-2007, 03:34 PM
it's a little late.

It's interesting that now, after every Joe Schmoe knows that the intelligence was manipulated, that fingers are starting to be pointed on capitol hill. I wonder where these people were two or three years ago when it would have made a difference.

If Iraq teaches us anything, it's not to distrust intelligence reports (anyone with half a brain already knew that). It's that a war with Iran would be a colossally bad idea. Take the problems of Iraq and multiply them by 100. Hopefully the administration has figured that out too--I can't imagine they haven't.

rubecube
02-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Is anyone actually surprised?

Looger
02-09-2007, 03:39 PM
If Iraq teaches us anything, it's not to distrust intelligence reports (anyone with half a brain already knew that). It's that a war with Iran would be a colossally bad idea. Take the problems of Iraq and multiply them by 100. Hopefully the administration has figured that out too--I can't imagine they haven't.
problems for whom?

the arms dealers, the oil barons, or the dark agendas calling for permanent bases and a neverending civil war and balkanized iraq as a means to control the entire region?

yeah they're really smarting...

Vulcan
02-09-2007, 04:33 PM
This makes my contention that the White House has been lying all along pretty much a slam dunk. They aren't even as stupid or bumbling as some people think, they're liars with their own agenda.

Flames Fan in West Van
02-09-2007, 04:35 PM
In other news, DUH!

Azure
02-09-2007, 07:15 PM
This makes my contention that the White House has been lying all along pretty much a slam dunk. They aren't even as stupid or bumbling as some people think, they're liars with their own agenda.

DoD says the 'Pentagon' manipulated the intelligence.

If this is indeed true, that means the Pentagon briefed the President with false intelligence reports.

The report said nothing about the White House manipulating the intelligence.

Vulcan
02-09-2007, 07:23 PM

If this is indeed true, that means the Pentagon briefed the President with false intelligence reports.

I'll put you in the Bush is stupid and bumbling camp then.

Looger
02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
yeah, rumsfeld and cheney have never worked together before.

sincerely, scooter libby.

kipperfan
02-09-2007, 07:37 PM

Yeah...having the Pentagon call out the White House is something your not going to see happen, esspecially considering Rumsfeld was into this sh** waist deep the entire time.

Your telling me you think that Powell knew, Rice knew, Rummy knew....but Bush didnt.....HA!!

Azure
02-09-2007, 08:36 PM
I'll put you in the Bush is stupid and bumbling camp then.

I don't think you can put stupid and POTUS together in the same sentence. Probably not as smart as past Presidents, but Bush isn't stupid.

I also don't think he knew what he acted on though....I think the whole administration acted on impulse after receiving the intelligence reports, rather then making sure on everything.

Hence the problem.

The President gets briefed with all these reports....he does not generate them.

Azure
02-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Yeah...having the Pentagon call out the White House is something your not going to see happen, esspecially considering Rumsfeld was into this sh** waist deep the entire time.

Your telling me you think that Powell knew, Rice knew, Rummy knew....but Bush didnt.....HA!!

I said the Pentagon(Joint Chiefs) knew.

Probably after getting briefed by the intelligence community.

And if I remember correctly, the Joint Chiefs report to the SoD.

Powell is a good man, I doubt he would have agreed with the initial invasion if he knew something was wrong.

RougeUnderoos
02-09-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't think you can put stupid and POTUS together in the same sentence. Probably not as smart as past Presidents, but Bush isn't stupid.

I also don't think he knew what he acted on though....I think the whole administration acted on impulse after receiving the intelligence reports, rather then making sure on everything.

I think those two thoughts are mutually exclusive. If you start a war "on impulse" and don't make sure on everything, you are stupid.

Just from a logistical standpoint, I don't think it's possible that they just "acted on impulse". They had a hell of a long time to plan this mess. It's not like they received intelligence reports, read them over a cup of coffee and pushed the red war button.

The jig is up. Either they are hopelessly incompetent or they were planning on things turning out this way all along.

Things are getting pretty bad when you have to hope that incompetence is the explanation. Things are even worse when you start believing that it wasn't incompetence at all, which is where I find myself at.

Azure
02-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I just read this...

Acting Inspector General Thomas F. Gimble told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the office headed by former Pentagon policy chief Douglas J. Feith took "inappropriate" actions in advancing conclusions on al-Qaida connections not backed up by the nation's intelligence agencies.

Gimble said that while the actions of the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy "were not illegal or unauthorized," they "did not provide the most accurate analysis of intelligence to senior decision makers" at a time when the White House was moving toward war with Iraq.

According to that, the intelligence communities get free reign. I find that hard to believe. The information about Iraq having WMD came from them, and not the Pentagon.

Of course the article is not talking about WMD, so...

kipperfan
02-09-2007, 08:58 PM
I said the Pentagon(Joint Chiefs) knew.

Probably after getting briefed by the intelligence community.

And if I remember correctly, the Joint Chiefs report to the SoD.

Powell is a good man, I doubt he would have agreed with the initial invasion if he knew something was wrong.

Frankly I agree in part with your Powell statement.....I think he is a very good manI.....but I still think he did know about everything and I think that is the main reason he resigned...he didnt want that sh** on his conscience any more.

Interesting read here: http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/wilkerson.html

Interview transcript from an interview with Powells Chief of Staff Lawrence B. Wilkerson...very interesting.

It is this quote here that makes me think Powell knew and so did Wilkerson and they didnt like it much:

"My participation in that presentation at the UN constitutes the lowest point in my professional life.

I participated in a hoax on the American people, the international community and the United Nations Security Council. How do you think that makes me feel? Thirty-one years in the United States Army and I more or less end my career with that kind of a blot on my record? That's not a very comforting thing."

Azure
02-09-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't think anyone knew whether or not WMD would be found in Iraq. The evidence I'm sure was there, that Saddam had them, he did use them on his own people.

What might have been missing, is evidence that he destroyed them, or got rid of them. Of course if we listen to Scott Ritter, in a spawn of 2 years, Saddam went from having the ability to produce chemical, biological or nuclea weapons, to not having any in the first place.

Powell knew exactly what would happen once the US invaded. He has intensive background based on the Middle East, and I believe he resigned because he didn't want to deal with the problem that exists right now.

Caged Great
02-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Here comes the War crimes tribunal...

Vulcan
02-10-2007, 01:14 AM
I think you're naive and in denial Azure. The POTUS isn't a representative of god on earth, he's a man capable of good and bad and incompetence. To be benevelent, I sometimes think Bush had fairly good intentions, but misguided, and he lost his ethics when he went to impliment his policies at any cost.

Azure
02-10-2007, 01:11 PM
What denial Vulcan? I agree with the above.

I believe he had good intentions, but I also believe important evidence was left out by the administration.

I never said the POTUS is a representative of god on earth, so I have no idea where you're getting that from.

I only said he is usually smart, and intelligent in a certain way in order to hold that position.