PDA

View Full Version : Home Security

return to the red
02-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Just wondering from those who have home security systems, who they would recommend going with? We are building so we would have to get them to come in and install and such.

Personal experiences? Recommendations?

Sylvanfan
02-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Put a sign on your lawn suggesting you have one, some stickers on windows, and install a decoy key pad by your front door that beeps that you can see through any visible windows to make it look like you have one. Seriously unless you live in the ghetto I'm not so sure that paying $35 a month in monitoring fees gives you good value for your money, and they lock you into a contract where if you sell the house you have to pay an exhorbitant fee to move the system or buy out the contract if the next buyer doesn't want to pay for it. Had one once and I found that it had a high number of false alarms and that it was more hastle than it was worth. Really it was about as bad of money as I could have spent.

Eagle Eye
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
WIth our system we pay $90/3 months and we did not have to sign up for any contract, this includes CO monitoring as well as Fire. We used the program that sends a guard first if there is an alarm (saves on the Police coming if there is a false alarm).

SO for $30 bucks a month (plus with about $10/month savings on Insurance) I think it is not a bad deal for peace of mind.

The company is AAAlarms

Edit:

We had the pre wiring done as the house was a new home (I have no idea how much they charge to wire the hosue)

GoinAllTheWay
02-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Don't have on atm but if I were to buy a new house, I think I would go with alarm force, I'm a sucker for their re-assuring ads. You would obviously want to phone around yourself but I think that is where I would start, I really like the idea of two way communication. Only thing that makes me nervous, and I'm sure I'm not the first, but how do you know they aren't listening in all the time?

Bobblehead
02-09-2007, 10:34 AM
It's the contracts and monthly fees that have made me hesitate, but my wife really wants us to get one.

Perhaps the AAAlarms sounds promising.

GrrlGoalie33
02-09-2007, 10:37 AM
The one problem I had been informed about with Alarm Force, is their monitoring is all done out of toronto. As a result, if they need to send emergency workers out to your house, they have to call the general line as opposed to 911.

Ford Prefect
02-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Sylvanfan is right on the mark. The signs serve as the deterent. Just make it look like you have an alarm service, and spend a little money on security bars where needed, dead bolts, etc, and you're covered about as well as you can be. It worked for me when I lived in Calgary, whereas a couple of my neighbours without signs got broken into.

GoinAllTheWay
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM
The installer fell through our seiling

I know I shouldn't and I'm gonna go ahead and assume he's OK:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahah!!

That's pretty funny, kinda reminds me of the Terry's chocolate orange commericial.

Titan
02-09-2007, 04:08 PM
We went with ADT after a break in attempt. (We live in McKenzie Towne)It also monitors fire so even if we are not home the fire dept is called.

It provides great peace of mind. It also has a feature that if any door is opened a chime goes off. Great for little kids so you know if they slipped outside.

We have two cats and have not had any false alarms in a year. I would say do it.

Mccree
02-09-2007, 04:28 PM
We went with ADT after a break in attempt. (We live in McKenzie Towne)It also monitors fire so even if we are not home the fire dept is called.

It provides great peace of mind. It also has a feature that if any door is opened a chime goes off. Great for little kids so you know if they slipped outside.

We have two cats and have not had any false alarms in a year. I would say do it.

I agree, we use VoXCOM and have fire monitoring as well. We also have one of theose rent-a-cops come by first to avoid the fee of a false alarm if the real police come by. IF it helps my wife sleep then I am all for it. Plus with a kid that is learning to open doors the chime is great.

return to the red
02-09-2007, 05:15 PM
thank you to everyone that had input on the subject. It's actually the wife that wants it but I figure if we are building and have the opprtunity to get it wired up might as well go ahead with it right?

4X4
02-09-2007, 06:36 PM
I think the best alarm system is a rottweiler and a beware of dog sign.