PDA

View Full Version : Cop hooker drug party alleged - for research?

RedHot25
02-09-2007, 06:39 AM
http://calgarysun.canoe.ca/NewsStand/News/Alberta/2007/02/09/3567974-sun.html

The Edmonton Police Service has launched an internal investigation into allegations aboriginal sex-trade workers were recruited to get high on drugs so they could be studied by cops in a training exercise. The training was aimed at helping police enforce proposed federal laws that would would target drivers impaired by drugs, say officials.

More here:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2007/02/09/3568065-sun.html

The training was aimed at helping police enforce proposed federal laws that would would target drivers who are impaired by drugs, say officials.

...the subjects had been recruited at the request of police by an Edmonton social worker who helps reform street prostitutes and is connected to the Metis Child and Family Services Society, Edmonton.
The training took place at the Metis society...and involved 24 sworn police officers, including EPS and RCMP, as well as a Crown prosecutor, an EPS spokesman confirmed.
Sources say the subjects got high and were then observed by cops. The women were familiar with the Metis social agency because they'd been assisted by the organization to help clean up their acts and get off the streets.

"This required police authorization for them to secure their own illegal drugs ... and have police look the other way while they injected snorted or smoked them to get high."

Kate Quinn, executive director of the Prostitution Awareness and Action Foundation of Edmonton told the Sun her agency had nothing to do with the operation and didn't know about it ahead of time. "The only approved formal court diversion program is our program and we had no knowledge this research project was taking place," said Quinn.

JohnnyB
02-09-2007, 08:12 AM
If this is in fact the case, this is one of the most horrifying public scandals I can think of in recent Alberta history. That is the sort of thing that could make me ashamed to tell people I am from Alberta.

RedHot25
02-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Yes, it doesn't look very good, at all. What were people thinking?

burn_baby_burn
02-09-2007, 09:37 AM
As the 4-H moto goes. Learn to do by doing.

Flames_Gimp
02-09-2007, 10:02 AM
lol...i gota go to edmonton...

jk

Crazy Flamer
02-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Free drugs? Where do I sign up?

fizzydrink
02-09-2007, 10:36 AM
what's the problem? they're gonna do them anyway.. might as well see what it does to a person rather than reading about it. we're too uptight in this world.

RedHot25
02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
what's the problem? they're gonna do them anyway.. might as well see what it does to a person rather than reading about it. we're too uptight in this world.

One thing with this I think is that they just appeared to "do it", with only those who did it knowing about it (if I read that wrong, feel free to correct me)...and when you put that next to this:

Langford said the women "were part of a court diversion program" and that they volunteered to be a part of the police training program.

Kate Quinn, executive director of the Prostitution Awareness and Action Foundation of Edmonton told the Sun her agency had nothing to do with the operation and didn't know about it ahead of time. "The only approved formal court diversion program is our program and we had no knowledge this research project was taking place," said Quinn.

Next, I think these points sum things up on another issues...

"Many ethical questions are involved in this, namely procuring the use of marginalized women who are valued so little," the whistle-blower told the Sun.

The tipster begged to differ: "The people these girls are supposed to trust to take care of them have turned around and used them as guinea pigs."

She questioned whether a training operation was helpful to the women's recovery. "How would participating help (the women) or impact them?" asked Quinn.

"Many ethical questions are involved in this, namely procuring the use of marginalized women who are valued so little," the whistle-blower told the Sun. "This required police authorization for them to secure their own illegal drugs ... and have police look the other way while they injected, snorted or smoked them to get high."

Table 5
02-09-2007, 10:57 AM
If this is in fact the case, this is one of the most horrifying public scandals I can think of in recent Alberta history. That is the sort of thing that could make me ashamed to tell people I am from Alberta.

Holy Overreaction-city, Batman!

ZDogg
02-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Free drugs? Where do I sign up?
My thought exactly. They could have easily recruited a few people to do this for free. Although, I guess these women did it for free. The only problem I see is if they forced them or chose them based only on their aboriginal heritage.

Ford Prefect
02-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Something doesn't seem right about this report. I'd caution readers to keep in mind that the media often doesn't get the story right. I know a person on the Edmonton Police Commission ... I'll see if he/she is willing to comment on the incident.

RedHot25
02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Something doesn't seem right about this report. I'd caution readers to keep in mind that the media often doesn't get the story right. I know a person on the Edmonton Police Commission ... I'll see if he/she is willing to comment on the incident.

Interesting, you may or may not be on to something. From a radio station in Edmonton...

http://www.630ched.com/news/news_local.cfm?cat=7428218912&rem=58092&red=80121823aPBIny&wids=410&gi=1&gm=news_local.cfm

Police officers contacted by CHED News for reaction said they'd never heard of the incident and said they'd have a hard time believing events happened as reported.

kipperfan
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Who said anything about Alberta? We are talking about Edmonton.....;)

Ford Prefect
02-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I spoke with the person I know on the Edmonton Police Commission, and while he/she didn't have conclusive information one way or the other about this incident, he/she said there are many details to the story that don't square with what he/she knows. Some of the details that don't square are logistical ... procedural details. One thing that was mentioned that's interesting is that the reporter is the same one who was involved with the stakeout/impaired driving sting operation a couple years ago. That raises questions about how objective he might be regarding the Edmonton Police Service therefore, even if it's on a sub-conscious level.

metallicat
02-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Kerry Diotte...trying to force his way into the spotlight again I see??

Ford Prefect
02-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Kerry Diotte...trying to force his way into the spotlight again I see??

I think that pretty much sums it up alright.

metallicat
02-09-2007, 04:32 PM
A lot of the media here, is really anti-police. It's just a joke. 630 CHED is the only media outlet that is on side with the EPS the majority of the time.

corporatejay
02-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I just finished watching global, apparently this is all bull**** and the facts reported in this story are completely incorrect.

Looks like someone is going to have to print a retraction.

Ford Prefect
02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I just finished watching global, apparently this is all bull**** and the facts reported in this story are completely incorrect.

Looks like someone is going to have to print a retraction.

Diotte and the Sun should be sued for libel. The media shouldn't be able to get away with crap like that. The person I know on the police commission said that likely wouldn't happen though because it just furthers the perception that the EPS are out to get Diotte. I'm a member of the media (I publish a national magazine) and I am ashamed of most media members and agencies. There are some good ones, but too many make me embarassed to be a member of the profession.

metallicat
02-09-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't read the Sun, but I think I'll be buying it for the next little while to see what Diotte has to say now.

maverickeastwood
02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Doesn't surprise me that a law enforcement agency would/may have something to do with this. There have been cases in the past involving the RCMP picking up natives and dropping them off in the middle of a very cold, winter road. I also know ppl that know of the parties that people in law enforcement can have. The drugs and alcohol confiscated do wind up fueling these absolutlely wild "get-togethers".

Not everyone in law enforcement is a total a**, but there are some bad apples.

jolinar of malkshor
02-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Doesn't surprise me that a law enforcement agency would/may have something to do with this. There have been cases in the past involving the RCMP picking up natives and dropping them off in the middle of a very cold, winter road. I also know ppl that know of the parties that people in law enforcement can have. The drugs and alcohol confiscated do wind up fueling these absolutlely wild "get-togethers".

Like any organization.

As for the taking of seized goods by law enforcement personel....it is more of a modern day myth created out of the fact that it did happen 50 years ago. Everything that is seized now is documented and must be accounted for. Has some law enforcement officer stole seized goods before....sure......more likely than not. But for a group of them to steal a bunch of seized goods and then have a big party together. Unlikely.

metallicat
02-10-2007, 07:02 AM

Ok, first of all, I am 99% sure these cases you heard about were from the Saskatoon police, not the RCMP. And your comments about seized drugs and alcohol ending up at police parties are interesting, but you offer no proof to back up your statements. All you have is apparent word of mouth. You don't seem to have much credibility, I guess that's why you have a blue square under your name.

nfotiu
02-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Like any organization.

As for the taking of seized goods by law enforcement personel....it is more of a modern day myth created out of the fact that it did happen 50 years ago. Everything that is seized now is documented and must be accounted for. Has some law enforcement officer stole seized goods before....sure......more likely than not. But for a group of them to steal a bunch of seized goods and then have a big party together. Unlikely.

Not RCMP, or even Canada for that matter, but this took place around here a few months ago:
http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=6000