PDA

View Full Version : Looking for New Job....

SteveToms
02-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I am gettng very tired of Retail. I am looking for a new job, anyone have suggestions or job they know of?

Flames in 07
02-08-2007, 09:33 PM
skills? experience?

Nikki
02-08-2007, 09:49 PM
I would recommend getting your resume into a hiring agency. That would give you a lot of options, and you could try a few different jobs before you pick one. It doesn't (or shouldn't) cost you anything and it is a good learning experience.

jolinar of malkshor
02-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Law Enforcement

metallicat
02-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Law EnforcementAgreed.

fredr123
02-08-2007, 10:36 PM
How about a nice cushy government job?

jolinar of malkshor
02-08-2007, 10:42 PM
How about a nice cushy government job?

We can't all be as lucky as you.

Wine and dine people....sitting in the top floor of office towers.

fredr123
02-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Seriously, though, what kinds of skills and interests do you have? It's a great market right now. You can pretty much pick and choose what area you want to get in to.

If you're still in high school or college, try doing something ridiculous. I kinda regret not spending some time doing dumb/interesting jobs that had nothing to do with my future occupation...

fredr123
02-08-2007, 10:48 PM
We can't all be as lucky as you.

Wine and dine people....sitting in the top floor of office towers.
It's a long way to the top. But once you get there, you can totally see down everybody's shirt... :whistle:

Incinerator
02-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Law Enforcement

not for everyone :ph34r:

Frank the Tank
02-09-2007, 07:40 AM
I am gettng very tired of Retail. I am looking for a new job, anyone have suggestions or job they know of?

Well if I still lived in Calgary I'd be building houses me thinks.:D

HelloHockeyFans
02-09-2007, 10:39 AM
How old are you? Is this a new career or a new job?

If you're young and sociable, you should look into bartending. Very fun job and you'll get to meet a ton of people!

I agree with those that mentioned law enforcement as well.

rubecube
02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Become a fireman! I hear they're hiring.

chummer
02-09-2007, 10:44 AM
How about the Fire Department....we are looking to hire 150 new recruits this year.It's an awesome job,I love it.

chummer
02-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Beat me to it rube.
Here's a link if you're interested....

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Calgary+Fire+Department/Firefighter+Recruitment/Firefighter+Recruitment.htm

kipperfan
02-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Like others have said....alot depends on age/expierence/skill set........but if your a younger guy and dont have alot of intrest in being a buisness professional type...then pick up a trade.

There is still LOADS of need for tradespeople of any kind in Calgary.....get a job as a apprentice somewhere....in Calgary it should be easy.....framing....that would be a good trade.

Not to mention the fact you will get payed very good $$ even as a entry level worker on a construction site...and if you have skill and want to learn and eventually get your ticket you will be all set.

rubecube
02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Beat me to it rube.

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Calgary+Fire+Department/Firefighter+Recruitment/Firefighter+Recruitment.htm

We're recruiting up to 200 physically fit men and women

Well that pretty much rules me out.

kipperfan
02-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Beat me to it rube.

Is it true (i dont really have a vested intrest...just wondering) that to join the Calgary Fire Dept. you cant have commited any illegal activities in the last 2 years...and they give you a polygraph to confirm your telling the truth?

I have heard this before, but dont know if its true.....but it seems kinda odd that if I smoked a joint 2 years ago that the Fire Dept now thinks they are above employing me..:confused:

chummer
02-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Yes it's true about the polygraph.They brought it in a few years ago.
I don't think they would have a problem if you smoked a joint 2 years ago.
They understand that no one is perfect but are looking for more serious offences.I have my opinions on the polygraph but they best be left unsaid on here.

TheyCallMeBruce
02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Become a paranormal investigator and hunt ghosts!

jroc
02-09-2007, 11:25 AM

your neither man nor woman?:eek:

fredr123
02-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Yes it's true about the polygraph.They brought it in a few years ago.
I don't think they would have a problem if you smoked a joint 2 years ago.
They understand that no one is perfect but are looking for more serious offences.I have my opinions on the polygraph but they best be left unsaid on here.
A single joint two years ago? Hmm. What if instead of a joint, it was a line of coke? And instead of two years ago, it was last week? And it was snorted off a stripper's chest? And then the stripper sorta slipped and hit her head? And then she kinda disappeared? Hypothetically, of course...

chummer
02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
A single joint two years ago? Hmm. What if instead of a joint, it was a line of coke? And instead of two years ago, it was last week? And it was snorted off a stripper's chest? And then the stripper sorta slipped and hit her head? And then she kinda disappeared? Hypothetically, of course...

When can you start?

ken0042
02-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Fred- I don't think they are going to care that you had a typical weekend in Vegas.

fredr123
02-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Fred- I don't think they are going to care that you had a typical weekend in Vegas.Thank Gawd! I thought the Calgar Fire Department was anti-good time.

On the other hand, maybe EPS is more to my liking: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=37578

rubecube
02-09-2007, 11:59 AM
your neither man nor woman?:eek:

LOL. Almost as bad as not knowing if you're circumsised.

fredr123
02-09-2007, 12:11 PM
When can you start?
6-8 years...

rubecube
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
When can you start?

Is there a height restriction?

chummer
02-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Is there a height restriction?

Hmmm,good question,not as far as I know.I'm only 5'8'' and there are some shorter than me.

rubecube
02-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Hmmm,good question,not as far as I know.I'm only 5'8'' and there are some shorter than me.

Okay, I'm 5'8" so that works. The whole "great physical shape" thing could use some improvement though.

ken0042
02-09-2007, 12:31 PM
The whole "great physical shape" thing could use some improvement though.

My cousin has been active all his life, worked as a lifeguard, swam several kilometres per day, went on 100 km mountain bike races.........

When he was trying to get into the FD he was telling me how he had to "get himself into shape" so he would qualify. :eek:

rubecube
02-09-2007, 12:35 PM
My cousin has been active all his life, worked as a lifeguard, swam several kilometres per day, went on 100 km mountain bike races.........

When he was trying to get into the FD he was telling me how he had to "get himself into shape" so he would qualify. :eek:

My issue is that when I was younger I would play sports to get in shape but not having a ride really limits getting involved in intramural activity. I don't like going to the gym because it's the competition of sports that gets me going and the gym is just really repetitive.

Jayems
02-09-2007, 12:51 PM

Don't worry. All you have to do is get in, then you can sleep for 12 hours a day. :D

chummer
02-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Don't worry. All you have to do is get in, then you can sleep for 12 hours a day. :D

No need for that....actually it's 14:eek:

jroc
02-09-2007, 03:48 PM
LOL. Almost as bad as not knowing if you're circumsised.

wooh wooh wooh!!! that was not me.... that was your old pal J pold!!!

speaking of which.. why the heck would you want a wingman that does not even know the nature of his own penis??

rubecube
02-09-2007, 03:54 PM

speaking of which.. why the heck would you want a wingman that does not even know the nature of his own penis??

I knew who it was, still funny to bring it up. :D

Also I asked to be wingman before that whole incident. Does any man truly know the nature of his own penis? You think you do, then you get drunk and the go home with one of those dreaded "big girls". Not that I would know what that's like.

J pold
02-09-2007, 04:27 PM

I knew who it was, still funny to bring it up. :D

Also I asked to be wingman before that whole incident. Does any man truly know the nature of his own penis? You think you do, then you get drunk and the go home with one of those dreaded "big girls". Not that I would know what that's like.

Don’t you ever talk about my dick without my Permission! (Pay attention to 50 second mark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-gFqRjpjZM))

EDIT: Language Warning on link

MoneyGuy
02-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Financial planner - it's been a good gig for me.

kipperfan
02-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Don’t you ever talk about my dick without my Permission! (Pay attention to 50 second mark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-gFqRjpjZM))

EDIT: Language Warning on link

Dude that link was :w00t: x 32

0:40 in...."F*** SALT!!"

J pold
02-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Dude that link was :w00t: x 32

0:40 in...."F*** SALT!!"
The Wonderful world of Tourette's Guy (http://www.tourettesguy.com/)

maverickeastwood
02-09-2007, 09:50 PM
just don't get into trades, more people get into that and it would push my pay rate down :D