PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh - Do people take him seriously?

Bobblehead
02-08-2007, 09:50 AM
His latest quotes (http://mediamatters.org/items/200702070012) after the Superbowl:
The media, the sports media, has got social concerns that they are first and foremost interested in, and they're dumping on this guy -- Rex Grossman -- for one reason, folks, and that's because he is a white quarterback.
They, they just want this guy not to do well 'cause he's a white quarterback.

How can people take this guy seriously? Someone should mention that the Superbowl MVP was the quarterback from the other team and he was white, too.
Didn't the colour of a person's skin playing in any position cease to be an issue a long time ago?

Looger
02-08-2007, 09:52 AM
unfortunately, yes.

Hakan
02-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Stupid people take him seriously.

Looger
02-08-2007, 09:57 AM
rush himself isn't the problem - he's just another hot-air buffoon.

the problem is that among the legions of misinformed he is a god.

it's funny, back when i was younger he would go on aboot the democrats embracing global government and big spending and interventionist international policy...

more proof of the gigantic shell game - rush gets his talking points and tows the line, people need opinions after all.

RougeUnderoos
02-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Stupid people take him seriously.

Pretty much. How anyone with any sense could take this guy seriously is beyond me.

But people listen to his rah-rah-rah-ing for wars when they know he's a draft dodger and listen to him defend the "traditional family" when he's been divorced 3 times and listen to him talk about being tough on crime when he's a drug addict and criminal himself. So I guess they'll listen to him talk about football when they know common sense would easily dismiss his foolish opinions.

Flashpoint
02-08-2007, 10:55 AM
A better question would be - does anyone know a smart Neo-con?

I sure don't. Nor have I ever heard of one.

Statements like Rush's just reinforce the point. When your leader is a complete doofus, it is pretty hard to respect any of the mindless lemmings that might follow him.

GirlySports
02-08-2007, 11:00 AM
I agree with his first point but not his second.
The american media does want a white QB to do well but they will never dump on a black one.

Grossman is critized for the following reasons:

a) he sucks
b) he plays in chicago which is a huge market with knee-jerk journalists
and c) a black QB wouldn't have been critized as much due to fear of racism.

Look at Michael Vick, he's utter crap and a coach-killer yet nobody dares say a bad word about him.

Limbaugh was right about McNabb, he's overrated. Philly was awesome those years but McNabb messed up all those playoffs games, yet noone ever said a word. This was proven this year when Garcia took a much weaker Philly team to the playoffs.

Black QBs are definately protected in the american media.

Frank the Tank
02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Ya, next thing you know the NBA will have a three-time white Canadian MVP. Pfffft! It'll never happen.

Then, some black dude will win the Richard trophy in the NHL. I mean come on! We ALL know black people can't skate!:D

Looger
02-08-2007, 11:07 AM

I sure don't. Nor have I ever heard of one.
you've got to be pretty smart to implement a publicly published agenda decades in the making right under the noses of everyone while being painted as a bunch of 'bunglers' and 'idiots' because they've 'screwed up so badly' in iraq.

hmmm... civil war, permanent military presence, balkanization... mistake, mistake, mistake... <groan>

all the while publicly praying at the altar of leo strauss, who advocates lying to the public while engaging in constant and unending war for corporate profit and a return to a feudalistic style of elites and plodding masses.

who are the real fools here???

meanwhile, back at the ranch, these maniacs are trying to kick off the war of civilizations with every grasping movement, and we are letting them.

the bought and paid for left: 'lol these fools are such moronic idiots roflmao'

yeah. keep laughing, all the way to all of our graves.

JiriHrdina
02-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Look at Michael Vick, he's utter crap and a coach-killer yet nobody dares say a bad word about him.

Not to turn this into a sports thread, but Vick is criticized regularly in the media. And rightfully so.

RougeUnderoos
02-08-2007, 11:15 AM

I don't follow football very well, but I know who Ron Mexico is and I also know Vick went through some marijuana-related scandal. If they want to protect him and not say a bad word about him they have a funny way of going about it.

GirlySports
02-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Not to turn this into a sports thread, but Vick is criticized regularly in the media. And rightfully so.

We could turn it into a sports thread, better than a racial one! :)
Vick still gets off very easily, and is regarded as one of the most exciting players in the league. Those in the media who support him so do blindly.
Nobody supports Grossman, and he actually didnt have that bad a year.

Even in the super bowl he was 20 out of 27.. it was the play calling was really awful.

llama64
02-08-2007, 11:16 AM

See, this is why I can't respect anyone's political opinions anymore. People are more concerned with labels and "teams" then they are about informed opinions.

You've the the leftist people screaming bloody murder if a single conservative notion hits the table, and the rightist people spewing bigotry right back.

The way politics are now, if a leader decides that his position wasn't very smart, he/she has no way out to change it. Last time that happened the leader was named a "flip flopper". A wise person knows when they are wrong and will state that they are wrong. Smart people understand that and will accept the change, given enough justification.

Only the morons listening to pundits will try to bring them down. Thinking about this really makes me wonder about Democracy as a valid choice in government... but then, don't know how else to give everyone a chance to get their ideas out.

GirlySports
02-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't follow football very well, but I know who Ron Mexico is and I also know Vick went through some marijuana-related scandal. If they want to protect him and not say a bad word about him they have a funny way of going about it.

They didn't say a bad word about him at all. They just reported the facts. He was stopped at the airport because he was carrying marijuana. That's it. The story blew over in about a day. And you're talking about off-field stuff, I'm talking more about how bad his play is.

Looger
02-08-2007, 11:19 AM
'democracy is two lions and a lamb deciding what's for dinner. liberty is a well-armed lamb disputing the vote.'
-thomas jefferson

'democracy' is not a form of government, it is a mechanism.

the second we think of it as a government style, we are embracing mob rule, and collectivism, and denying individual rights.

JiriHrdina
02-08-2007, 11:19 AM
We could turn it into a sports thread, better than a racial one! :)
Vick still gets off very easily, and is regarded as one of the most exciting players in the league. Those in the media who support him so do blindly.
Nobody supports Grossman, and he actually didnt have that bad a year.

Even in the super bowl he was 20 out of 27.. it was the play calling was really awful.

Well looks like we are indeed going to turn this into a sports thread. lol.

Grossman was awful. Just brutal. The two INTs in the 4th quarter were just horrible lame duck passes.

rubecube
02-08-2007, 11:22 AM

Huh? Vick gets bashed all the time.

Limbaugh was right about McNabb, he's overrated. Philly was awesome those years but McNabb messed up all those playoffs games, yet noone ever said a word. This was proven this year when Garcia took a much weaker Philly team to the playoffs.

What you're talking about? McNabb led the Eagles to 4 straight NFC Championship Games and 1 Super Bowl appearance with very undertalented offenses. He was also a co-MVP one year.

Black QBs are definately protected in the american media.

Yep, and nobody was calling Vince Young a bust before the season started. :rolleyes:

GirlySports
02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Well looks like we are indeed going to turn this into a sports thread. lol.

Grossman was awful. Just brutal. The two INTs in the 4th quarter were just horrible lame duck passes.

Good! sports thread is better!
Agreed that he was poor in the 4th but look at the play-calling. The first INT was an unecessary pass on 1st and 10. Why throw a lob? and the 2nd INT he was about 5 yards short, I think the wet ball slipped out of his hand. It was no different than Manning's INT in the 1st quarter

You know that Manning threw 7 INT compared to 3 TDs this postseason which is quite average. But he won so he gets praised. He'd lost, he'd still be a choker! :)

RougeUnderoos
02-08-2007, 11:29 AM
They didn't say a bad word about him at all. They just reported the facts. He was stopped at the airport because he was carrying marijuana. That's it. The story blew over in about a day. And you're talking about off-field stuff, I'm talking more about how bad his play is.

The simple fact that the media reported these stories at all pokes a hole in the idea the he is protected. It doesn't matter if it's on the field or off.

And it wasn't "just the facts" -- they made fun of him for the Ron Mexico handle. Every bit of television coverage I saw involved wisecracks and smirks.

GirlySports
02-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Huh? Vick gets bashed all the time.

Do you even know what you're talking about? McNabb led the Eagles to 4 straight NFC Championship Games and 1 Super Bowl appearance with very undertalented offenses. He was also a co-MVP one year.

Yep, and nobody was calling Vince Young a bust before the season started. :rolleyes:

Vick? maybe now finally. It's more for his off-field antics. Does he really get bashed for his on-field play?
McNabb? 4 straight NFC championships and no super bowl win?
2 NFC championship losses at home? Manning and Marino are known as chokers for stuff like that.
Vince Young? Were they saying that? He was to be drafted in the top 5 for sure. He wasn't even supposed to play this season.

JiriHrdina
02-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Good! sports thread is better!
Agreed that he was poor in the 4th but look at the play-calling. The first INT was an unecessary pass on 1st and 10. Why throw a lob? and the 2nd INT he was about 5 yards short, I think the wet ball slipped out of his hand. It was no different than Manning's INT in the 1st quarter

You know that Manning threw 7 INT compared to 3 TDs this postseason which is quite average. But he won so he gets praised. He'd lost, he'd still be a choker! :)

The first pass was a bad play call yes, but it was also just very poorly thrown. QUACK. The second pass - that's a play you need to make. The difference between that INT and Manning's in the first is that the game was on the line. Scratch that - the Superbowl was on the line. That's what seperates players in football more than any other sport - the abilty to make plays when you need to

Bobblehead
02-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Whoa
Dante Culpepper got ripped pretty regularly last year.
Michael Vick is called a coach killer (although Mora did it to himself), and people question if he can really be a QB of if he has all the skills but not the demeanor.
Kordell Stewart was ripped a number of times over the course of a few seasons. He had one good season, but outside of that was roundly criticized.
I doubt Tony Banks or Quincy Carter think they were handled with kid gloves.

(BTW - I had no idea which way this thread would go, but figured sport in OT fit better than OT in sports)

GirlySports
02-08-2007, 11:32 AM
The simple fact that the media reported these stories at all pokes a hole in the idea the he is protected. It doesn't matter if it's on the field or off.

And it wasn't "just the facts" -- they made fun of him for the Ron Mexico handle. Every bit of television coverage I saw involved wisecracks and smirks.

Well, it IS funny :) Poking fun at someone is sometimes a compliment!

rubecube
02-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Vick? maybe now finally. It's more for his off-field antics. Does he really get bashed for his on-field play?

I saw numerous articles this year bashing Vick's performance on the field.

McNabb? 4 straight NFC championships and no super bowl win?
2 NFC championship losses at home? Manning and Marino are known as chokers for stuff like that.

And McNabb got ripped apart for it by the local media in Philly.

Vince Young? Were they saying that? He was to be drafted in the top 5 for sure. He wasn't even supposed to play this season.

He was labelled a bust before he even took a snap. Not only that but google "Vince Young's Wonderlic Results" if you want to see some really bad bashing.

GirlySports
02-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Whoa
Dante Culpepper got ripped pretty regularly last year.
Michael Vick is called a coach killer (although Mora did it to himself), and people question if he can really be a QB of if he has all the skills but not the demeanor.
Kordell Stewart was ripped a number of times over the course of a few seasons. He had one good season, but outside of that was roundly criticized.
I doubt Tony Banks or Quincy Carter think they were handled with kid gloves.

(BTW - I had no idea which way this thread would go, but figured sport in OT fit better than OT in sports)

Hehehe guess I threw the topic off.
Culpepper was only ripped this year, he's been crap for 10 years!
I like Kordell! But he didnt quite fit the Steelers style.
Tony Banks and Quncy Carter suck too much to be in this discussion :)

RougeUnderoos
02-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Now to keep this going in the direction of Michael Vick...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/zillgitt/2006-11-19-michael-vick_x.htm

Anyway, old Rush probably just says these crazy things to get a reaction out of dummies like me and to placate the dummies that believe what he says.

Bobblehead
02-08-2007, 11:38 AM

Absolutely. He gets ripped for not being able to hand the 3-4 defense, for not having good footwork in the pocket, for getting a number of high draft pick WRs and not being able to sync with them. It is being said that unless he rolls out and has the option to run that he will never be successful (although personally, I don't see why there is a problem with that). He will have 2 or 3 good games then tank for 2 or 3 more.

GirlySports
02-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I saw numerous articles this year bashing Vick's performance on the field.

And McNabb got ripped apart for it by the local media in Philly.

He was labelled a bust before he even took a snap. Not only that but google "Vince Young's Wonderlic Results" if you want to see some really bad bashing.

Ok, that's nice to see then!

Maybe I watch PTI too much, Wilbon and Whitlock defend any black player that does anything.. esp McNabb. Or i just plain watch too much ESPN.

Again, I think the wonderlic results were more for the media to make cool jokes. It didnt effect his draft status, still 3rd overall.

Bobblehead
02-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Culpepper was only ripped this year, he's been crap for 10 years!

That's crazy talk.
Culpepper in 2003 - Threw for just under 3500 yards and was 25TDs v 11 Int
Culpepper in 2004 - Threw for just over 4700 yards and was 39TDs v 11 Int

Then Moss is traded, Culpepper sulks, sucks and gets hurt (in that order), is traded to Miami and still sucks and takes a LOT of heat.

GirlySports
02-08-2007, 11:50 AM
That's crazy talk.
Culpepper in 2003 - Threw for just under 3500 yards and was 25TDs v 11 Int
Culpepper in 2004 - Threw for just over 4700 yards and was 39TDs v 11 Int

Then Moss is traded, Culpepper sulks, sucks and gets hurt (in that order), is traded to Miami and still sucks and takes a LOT of heat.

So Culpepper is dependant on Moss only?. Can he only throw in a dome?
Also there's playoffs. I dont recall Culpepper doing anything memorable in any playoff games.

mykalberta
02-08-2007, 11:58 AM
He has a point (he is an idiot but I am commenting on the quoted parts - remember he was vilified for saying basically the same thing TO said, except he said it before the fact and TO said it after about McNabb).

If Donovan McNabb had done the same thing Grossman had, would he be getting as much slack - what about Vick - simple answer is NO WAY IN HELL.

There is a severe over reaction to racial issues (I say severe overreaction as a Canuck who never had to go through it) where it always seems to shift the pendulum to either extremes, no happy middle ground there - normally I would blame it on our sensationalistic society going down the drain - but in America - its race.

MYK

Slava
02-08-2007, 03:52 PM
I just think its funny that race is only really an issue in american sports. No one ever brings this up regarding the CFL at all....its kind of funny that way. Has a black coach ever won the grey cup? (I have no idea, and don't really care).

troutman
02-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Has a black coach ever won the grey cup? (I have no idea, and don't really care).

Pinball, for one.

Azure
02-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Now to keep this going in the direction of Michael Vick...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/zillgitt/2006-11-19-michael-vick_x.htm

Anyway, old Rush probably just says these crazy things to get a reaction out of dummies like me and to placate the dummies that believe what he says.

He says those things because he knows people listen to him.

Why change your direction when you have a loyal following?

RougeUnderoos
02-08-2007, 04:08 PM
He says those things because he knows people listen to him.

Why change your direction when you have a loyal following?

I guess. But you'd think he'd use his re-enforced bully pulpit for something other than to drum up sympathy for that notoriously disadvantaged group known as "white NFL quarterbacks". Maybe he could use his position as a conservative pundit to actually further a cause he believes in. But you can't blame him for knowing which side his bread is buttered on. If your audience wants stupid, stupid is what you give 'em.

Flashpoint
02-08-2007, 04:20 PM
See, this is why I can't respect anyone's political opinions anymore. People are more concerned with labels and "teams" then they are about informed opinions.

You've the the leftist people screaming bloody murder if a single conservative notion hits the table, and the rightist people spewing bigotry right back.

Well, I could call them bigots instead. It just seems a little harsh to paint all conservatives with that brush - I am sure some are tolerant and support equality.

Just not morons like Rush. Why do I care what the "informed opinion" of a ######bag is? I care about that as much as Ann Coultier cares about Canada not being involved in Vietnam (although she was probably confused by the fact Canadians served in the US military at the time - but I digress).

As I originally said - I have yet to hear a Neocon position that makes any sort of sense (i.e. "smart") for the society any rational person would want to live in. One of caring about your neighbours instead of stomping their rights because they are the wrong color, sexual orientation, or religion.