PDA

View Full Version : Shaw PVR questions

metallicat
02-07-2007, 09:01 PM
I just picked up a Shaw PVR tonight, mainly to record LOST because I have to go to work soon, but I have a question or two. Maybe more later on.

Before getting the PVR, and just having the HD box, I was able to use those four arrow buttons on the remote to cycle through the guide. Now with the PVR, those buttons control the play/pause/rewinds...etc controls unless I hit the middle button first. I don't like that. Does anyone know if I can remove the PVR controls from those buttons? There is already play/pause...etc buttons, so it seems redundant to have the arrows used for the same thing.

A stupid question...if I've set the PVR to record, I can shut the unit off, correct?

Have I confused you enough?

Rathji
02-08-2007, 06:54 AM
I have a SD PVR, so I assume it is close enough to the same that I can answer you.
- You gotta have the power on the box to be able to record something.
- The functionality of the arrow keys can't be changed as far as I know, but like you I had issues with them. You get used to it soon enough though. Personally I have grown to like the PVR controls there, so I don't have to use the other set, which constantly has me hitting
[list] when I want to hit [play] which forces me to hit like 3 buttons before I can stop fastforwarding through commercials

worth
02-08-2007, 07:44 AM
You're supposed to leave the PVR on all the time. Just turn your TV off.

metallicat
02-08-2007, 08:08 AM
You're supposed to leave the PVR on all the time. Just turn your TV off.In general, or just when you want to use the PVR function?

worth
02-08-2007, 08:27 AM
I leave mine on 24/7/365.

I have a few repeat recordings, so it's way easier to just leave it on all the time instead of trying to remember if you should leave it on or turn it off.

Only time I turn it off is to reboot it, or to get into the menu screen.

mykalberta
02-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Couple things.

PVR has 2 tuners and can do the following:

Watch recorded show and record 2 shows
Watch live TV, record 1 show

If you press the off button on the PVR while its recording, it will not shut off. The problem is if the PVR is on while recording and you turn it off it will not shut off after the recording. However if you set a recording and the PVR is off it will turn itself on and record and then turn itself off.

I cant asnwer your question about the remote as I have a harmony remote - I would highly suggest getting one if you have more than a few devices.

I have the following hooked up Samsung Tantus 4234 TV, Denon Audio, Phillips DVD, Shaw PVR, XBOX 360, PS3 and I can control all but the PS3 (there are a few funtions that work but not all) with one remote. Its a bit pricey at retail stores here but you can get if off Ebay for about 300$ Canadian including shipping.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10071952&catid=21976

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/mykalberta/Harmony890.jpg

Harmony does eat batteries but if you go that route you will never regret it - I would suggest the following Energizer Fast Charge Batteries - they work well for me, they are a smidge noisy when recharging but I have used the same 8 AA and AAA for my home devices and they dont seem to have ost their charge after about 16 months of constant use.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10041604&catid=22206#

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/mykalberta/Energizer30min.jpg

MYK

metallicat
02-08-2007, 09:08 AM
When I bought my TV, they threw in a similar remote for a discount, but I sold it to a friend for what I paid for it. I suppose I could look into a new one, if it would control all of those things. Thanks.

I was able to record last night without problems...great purchase so far. Expensive, but I think it will pay off.

worth
02-08-2007, 09:15 AM
if you wat the harmony remote, look on dell.ca. they regularly have sales and it is possible to get the remote for under $100 with all the discounts they offer.

i just use the one that came with the pvr, but i only have a dvd player hooked up to it. i cna control the dvd player with it fine, but if i were to spend big money of receiver and all that jazz i'd probably upgrade.

Bobblehead
02-08-2007, 09:56 AM
if you wat the harmony remote, look on dell.ca. they regularly have sales and it is possible to get the remote for under $100 with all the discounts they offer.

i just use the one that came with the pvr, but i only have a dvd player hooked up to it. i cna control the dvd player with it fine, but if i were to spend big money of receiver and all that jazz i'd probably upgrade.

There are a number of different models of the Harmony. Which is the "best" one to control a number of things? I can never keep them straight.

worth
02-08-2007, 10:21 AM
I think the one most commonly used is the 880. This is the one I was referenceing you can find for under $100 sometimes.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=9933&ad=AMR_H880HPB

I don't know if it's the best model though, but i've heard good things.

Bill Bumface
02-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Umm... for all you people saying you need to leave your PVR on to record things, you're wrong.

Just as they figured out in the 80's when they made VCR's turn themselves on to record something and then turn themselves off, PVR's can do the same thing.

Ironhorse
02-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Speaking of PVRs, my Shaw HD one now has a little red light in the top left hand corner of the display. It says "Messages" beside it. How do I access these alleged messages, and what might they contain?

Ace
02-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Speaking of PVRs, my Shaw HD one now has a little red light in the top left hand corner of the display. It says "Messages" beside it. How do I access these alleged messages, and what might they contain?

Press Menu twice, then messages.

Sample Message "Shaw is great all the time, buy more stuff from shaw, thank you, - shaw"

TurnedTheCorner
02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Umm... for all you people saying you need to leave your PVR on to record things, you're wrong.

Just as they figured out in the 80's when they made VCR's turn themselves on to record something and then turn themselves off, PVR's can do the same thing.
I was shocked to read comments earlier about leaving the PVR on to record? My Bell PVR can set timers and knows when to record or not when it's off, I would be floored if Shaw had some weird PVR that would not support such a basic function.

The newest Harmony's seem overpriced because of color LCD screens and cutesy features like the channel logo showing up on the LCD when channel surfing. I have a Harmony 659 with a nice backlit screen that controls the TV, receiver, PVR, DVD, etc. flawlessly. If you like the color bells and whistles, it's your money. But the less flashy models work just as well. :)

worth
02-08-2007, 12:48 PM
BTW this is the best place to ask these questions:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67