PDA

View Full Version : Offsite/Online Backup

CalgaryGirl4Evr
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Can anyone recommend a good site to do online backup? I was using Telus Desktop backup. I upgraded to the 30G Enterprise Edition to backup our Server at work, but then realized that the program doesn't run in Windows Server, and if I put it on my computer, it doesn't recognize networked/mapped drives to access the Server. :mad:

Your suggestions are appreciated... :)

ericschand
02-08-2007, 08:21 AM
I don't konw about online backup, but what is it you are trying to
backup? How much data?

Why not try one or two external USB drives (one for backup, another
for backup of the backup)? They are relatively cheap these days,
sometimes going for as little as $150 for 400GB.

ers

mykalberta
02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
SDLT Drives have really gone down in price as well - SCSI cards arent that expensive (300ish) and the tapes have gone down alot compared to about 2 years ago 100 to about 80/tape (160 GB storage capacity).

I assume your company isnt that big so you probably dont have to work about SOX backup restrictions.

The USB drive idea does work, I would only suggest not having them plugged in at once for redundancy for a power surge.

Also, what backup software are you using - the accompanied Windows I would assume?

MYK

CalgaryGirl4Evr
02-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...

I have less than 30G to backup. The program I am using is provided by Telus. I already do a backup directly to our Server using Veritas Backup, and am looking for something in addition to that. Something that is easy and hands off that I can just monitor daily/weekly to see if it backed up.

ericschand
02-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Try picking up a couple of USB drives, and swapping between
them. Take one home, leave the other, and then swap them
over and over.

The DLT tape route is a good one as well.

But you want online info, of which I have none. :(

ers

FireInTheHole
02-08-2007, 10:47 PM
These guys seem to be pretty good. http://www.ibackup.com (http://www.ibackup.com/)

Indie
02-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Hiya,

We use Virtual Tape Drive (www.vtdcanada.com) to do what you're talking about. It works with all versions of Windows including Windows Server and can also backup network drives.

It happens automatically every day, and each day I receive an email verifying that my backup was successful.

Plus, they're a Canadian company. You can also find them at www.virtualtapedrive.ca.

Good luck,

Indie.

mykalberta
02-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions...

I have less than 30G to backup. The program I am using is provided by Telus. I already do a backup directly to our Server using Veritas Backup, and am looking for something in addition to that. Something that is easy and hands off that I can just monitor daily/weekly to see if it backed up.

Why not just write an simple batch file that sits on your desktop (or even better an automated script) that you run after an outlook reminder ever Friday or so.

I assume the server is just a crack box type (normal PC Tower - not a custom rack mount). If that is the case then i would suggest using a USB drive and an internal drive instead of 2 USB drives. I havent had great experiencs when I was forced to count on a USB drive.

The other thing I would do, is that if its only 30 GB, you should probably to a bi-monthly/monthly archive onto DVDs.

MYK