PDA

View Full Version : What consumer product are you most ashamed of buying?

housejunk
02-07-2007, 04:27 PM
In the wake of all this talk regarding the insane Calgary market, ridiculous salaries and the overall, creeping consumerism that seems to be invading our fine city's sub-concious, what is the one thing in the past year that you've purchased that is so grotesque, so over the top that you're slightly ashamed to admit it?

For me, its a no-brainer. My wife actually had a "doggie-shower" installed in our downstairs cloak room. She was sick and tired of washing our two huge labs in the guest bathroom. I will admit that I used to take some peverse pleasure knowing that her leech of a sister (who stayed with us after University for seven months rent-free) was unknowingly taking long baths in there.

SeeGeeWhy
02-07-2007, 04:30 PM
HAHAHA!

I am pretty sure I got carried away with the TV we picked up over the holidays.

That doggie shower sounds quite hilarious.

Sylvanfan
02-07-2007, 04:35 PM
My wife absolutely berated and guilted me until I finally gave in and let her get a new couch and loveseat. Part of a so called great deal from Finesse home living where we got a complementary 52" T.V. as part of a package for $3500. We did not need it and I hate myself for giving in on it. I think we absolutely got raked over the coals on that one and wish I'd claimed to be too sick to leave the house that day in hindsight. Whenever she complains to me about us not ever going on any trips, I point to this crap and tell her I thought you NEEDED that. Rant over.

RougeUnderoos
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I bought some ridiculously overpriced long underwear at MEC and as I walked out the store feeling stupid I said "if this isn't the most comfortable set of ginch in the world I'm bringing 'em back". I took them back. I also bought a pair of Penguin sneakers that I put in the closet when I got home from the store and haven't taken out since. Not exactly ritzy shoes but a completely pointless waste of money.

This town is ######ed. I was in a jean store one day and the dame says "how much are you willing to spend" and I said (stupidly) "it depends on how much I like the jeans" so she points to a rack of and says "these start at $450" or something ridiculous like that. "I don't like anything that much" I think I replied. You can get jeans that cost a lot more than that. Someone is obviously buying 'em.

Engine09
02-07-2007, 05:12 PM
I was going to say my 55" SOny HDTV, but it's paid for and watching hockey and movies on it is great. Actually, I'd consider it money well spent.

I-Hate-Hulse
02-07-2007, 05:14 PM
This isn't over the top, but it's grotesque and I'm quite ashamed I bought it.

http://kcbd.images.worldnow.com/images/1046402_BG1.jpg

The Singer Handi-Stitch.

No it doesn't work. Yes, I was a bachelor when I bought it.
"It seems so good.....how can I go wrong?......"
:bag:

Eastern Girl
02-07-2007, 05:21 PM
I bought a pancake flipper. This little contraption thingie is supposed to make perfect looking pancakes and it's supposed to prevent burning. However, there is no possible way that you can flip it without getting batter everywhere, the batter sticks and burns. Just a terrible product. It was devastating, I really thought it was going to work and I would be able to make nice looking non burned pancakes. Haven't gotten over it yet.

photon
02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
See, I think if the doggie shower saves her time and headache, it's worth the purchase! A happy wife and all that :D

I'd probably say our new TV as well, though it's "only" 40". We got it not because we *needed* a new TV, but because we wanted to get new furniture for a room in the house and the TV in that room was a huge glass TV, so we moved the LCD from downstairs up there and got the new LCD.

My wife and I are pretty good and keeping each other from the really bad impulse purchases. And for those other times it's good to have a return policy :D

housejunk
02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I bought a pancake flipper. This little contraption thingie is supposed to make perfect looking pancakes and it's supposed to prevent burning. However, there is no possible way that you can flip it without getting batter everywhere, the batter sticks and burns. Just a terrible product. It was devastating, I really thought it was going to work and I would be able to make nice looking non burned pancakes. Haven't gotten over it yet.

That sounds a lot like the "grip n' flip"......the spatula with a corresponding tong. Unlike your pancake flipper, the "grip n flip" worked like a charm.....absolutely pristine grilled cheese sandwhiches. I lost it in a move a couple of years ago and I haven't been able to eat a grilled cheese since.

Ford Prefect
02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I bought a new lap top for a combination of work and personal use. I totally didn't need it as I already have three desktops in the house (I run a home business). I don't travel enough to justify it, but I wanted it so I could do work on it in the back year during the summer rather than having to be inside. So it was pretty much a luxery purchase. I have admit though, reading/sending e-mail and doing other work-related stuff was a lot more enjoyable while having a brew in the backyard last summer.

Eastern Girl
02-07-2007, 05:53 PM
That sounds a lot like the "grip n' flip"......the spatula with a corresponding tong. Unlike your pancake flipper, the "grip n flip" worked like a charm.....absolutely pristine grilled cheese sandwhiches. I lost it in a move a couple of years ago and I haven't been able to eat a grilled cheese since.

I can't for the life of me remember what the flipper thing I had was called, but it was basically two curved plates with a handle on it, you put the batter on, put it on the burner, and then clamp the handles down and flip it over. No mess, no use of spatulas. But there is a gap between the two plates so that you can't flip it over without batter spilling. But they don't show you that in their stupid infomercials! It was about two years ago and I am still seething over it.

Mr.Coffee
02-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Everytime I park downtown and spend $28 for the day I have buyer's remorse and immediately regret that decision.

That lasts until the next time I take the train. Then I go back to parking... then buyer's remorse... train...

it's a pretty vicious cycle. I can't decide which one makes me want to go postal more.

Flames_Gimp
02-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I would say my purchase was this Soup Bowl full of cocaine on my coffee table, but that isnt a consumer product!;)

Kybosh
02-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I would say my purchase was this Soup Bowl full of cocaine on my coffee table, but that isnt a consumer product!;)

You'd think that you could afford to put all the expensive cocaine into a better container than a soup bowl. . . unless you spent all the money on the cocaine in the first place.

The thing that I bought in the last year that I absolutely didn't need and couldn't afford was my xbox360 and some games for it. Ah well, Gears of War is pretty bad ass.

Flames in 07
02-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I'd have to say Flames vs Hawks tickets on February 6, 2007.

5 Shots in the first period and the refs handing 2pts to the hawks ... all for 90 bucks.

Engine09
02-07-2007, 06:16 PM

Is that the contraption that is basically two thin frying pans hinged together? My Mom gave me one of those, piece of f'ing crap. I tried to use it once and threw in in the garbage immediately.

brownie
02-07-2007, 07:14 PM

5 Shots in the first period and the refs handing 2pts to the hawks ... all for 90 bucks.I can top that one.I have some tickets for this years games,different seats,different prices,so I go to the desk minutes before going to the EDM game on the Jan 13th to get my tickets.And there sat 2 tickets to the Minny game on dec 12th.I almost puked I was so mad,140 bucks donated to the flames.

prarieboy
02-07-2007, 07:45 PM
It's Rack of Lamb for sure. I get one, slice it into chops, spice them up and broil them up. I eat em like chicken wings. Pretty expensive snack.

Nuje
02-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Every car I ever bought (all with cash). The only one I made money on is the one I accidentally drove into a tree.

Draug
02-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I am doing a complete rebuild of our bathroom...

I got carried away on the shower renovation. I redid all the plumbing with a dedicated 3/4" line and high flow shower head, shower wand and body jets. Each has it's own control valve and the whole system has a constant temperature valve.

It should be one hell of a shower experience, but I feel guilty about; a) the amount I spent on shower fixtures and valves, and b) the amount of water I can waste in one shower. The one saving grace is that each component has its own volume valve, so it can be off, or on part way. At least I wont have to use them all wide open all the time.

Hack&Lube
02-07-2007, 08:51 PM

5 Shots in the first period and the refs handing 2pts to the hawks ... all for 90 bucks.

But you got to see all the old Flames again and Nieuwy hoist the cup.

Me? I'm ashamed of buying clothes once or twice every week from Winners because they have great brands (Diesel Jeans for $49) but it's getting excessive. I have like 5 pairs of Pumas. I just bought a Kenneth Cole blazer the other day. Aarrgh, must stop!!! But I can't, it's like treasure hunting to find the nice stuff amongst all the crap. I knew somebody who worked at Winners and she told me sometimes the staff hides good stuff in there intentionally. Plus, I have no friends or social life so why do I need all these nice clothes anyway?

And to top it off, at night I went to Fushop and bought a 20.1" widescreen LCD just because it was sitting on the "open box" counter. I convinced myself I would eventually return it since it was already open box and I could do no harm but it's looking more and more like I'm going to be keeping it. And I already own a 20" 4:3 LCD!

I have a low paying job and I'm a poor student going to school at night. I can't afford all this crap! But I know that if I don't get something that seems rare or on sale because of some rare event (like it was open box or a clearanced item due to a technicality), I will obsess myself about it forever.

OilersBaby
02-07-2007, 09:00 PM
My $285 True Religion Jeans...I wanted em cuz they fit nice and also because I usually dont buy expensive labels and I just wanted to indulge.

The doggy clothes I buy for my Jack Russell Terrier. I dont do it because it's fashionable, but because he has very short fur and he does get cold. Also, it rains here in the winter, so I got him a lil raincoat with a hood. It's worth it I suppose so he's not all wet when he comes in, but I'm still ashamed of that purchase cuz I think its silly to dress up your pooches.

Flames in 07
02-07-2007, 09:30 PM
My $185 True Religion Jeans...I wanted em cuz they fit nice and also because I usually dont buy expensive labels and I just wanted to indulge.

The doggy clothes I buy for my Jack Russell Terrier. I dont do it because it's fashionable, but because he has very short fur and he does get cold. Also, it rains here in the winter, so I got him a lil raincoat with a hood. It's worth it I suppose so he's not all wet when he comes in, but I'm still ashamed of that purchase cuz I think its silly to dress up your pooches.

Arrgh, they are $225 up here.

Winsor_Pilates
02-07-2007, 09:35 PM
haha, I was just gonna ask, where are you getting true religions for $185?:D

keratosis
02-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I bought a clapper years ago. Made the lights freak out when
I played my Zeppelin.

Tron_fdc
02-07-2007, 10:14 PM
My g/f used to run a snowboard shop, and I bought boards not because I needed them, but because I could. I think we have about 15 in the garage. Most of my friends have my year or two old "hand me downs".

Saint Troy
02-07-2007, 10:56 PM
$350 power cable for a CD player, sounded the same, felt shame.

Hack&Lube
02-08-2007, 12:17 AM
$350 power cable for a CD player, sounded the same, felt shame.

Monster Cable? Anybody who buys monster cables should feel shame unless they bought them liquidated or at xscargo, etc.

There is no percievable difference in cabling between monster cable and what you find at Wal-Mart.

OilersBaby
02-08-2007, 12:59 AM

That was a typo. It was supposed to say 285..it is a really nice pair......

Cowperson
02-08-2007, 08:01 AM
A few months ago, among a general push spending many thousands of dollars on new suits, I appear to have paid $250 for a simple dress shirt that I had pointed at and commanded to be thrown on the pile. . . . . .
Didn't notice the cost until we got home. :bag: :rolleyes: Next time, I'll check the tag!!!

Cowperson

Saint Troy
02-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Monster Cable? Anybody who buys monster cables should feel shame unless they bought them liquidated or at xscargo, etc.

There is no percievable difference in cabling between monster cable and what you find at Wal-Mart.

No, much higher end, or so I figured. Monster stuff is alright, but overhyped and oversold.

worth
02-08-2007, 08:31 AM
www.monoprice.com :D

I buy a lot of stuff off ebay. Well, not a lot like some people do, my user rating thingy is at a 68 individual purchases I think since 2002, but there are probably a few things i've bought off there that i could use a little more. Nothing i'm ashamed of buying. I really don't buy things that I don't need. I do buy a lot of camping and military stuff though.

Bring_Back_Shantz
02-08-2007, 08:47 AM
No, much higher end, or so I figured. Monster stuff is alright, but overhyped and oversold.

The guy that spent $350 on a power cable is now calling Monser Cables "Overhyped". The irony detector in my office just went off.

mykalberta
02-08-2007, 09:10 AM
I purchased a food slicer for slicing vegetables. After one wash, the blade started to rust and now isnt sharp - damn infomercials.

MYK

mykalberta
02-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Oh, forgot one more.

I should say one more site.

http://www.ledshoppe.com/ is the pit of hell on my earth.

The things look so cool and they arent that expensive and tghey work for about 4 weeks then die, I am caught in a vicious cycle similar to the downtown parker guy - I swear off it then I am back on.

Damn dodgy Chinise/Korean LED SHOPPE :(

MYK

burn_baby_burn
02-08-2007, 09:47 AM
I don't know if this counts as a consumer product. But I went nuts last winter up untill Summer trying to get every single Dion Phaneuf Rookie Card. I am estimating that I spent about $3000 total on Ebay. I got about 50 different cards. At first I thought it would be a dozen cards or so. But Upper Deck releases a new series every 3 weeks. I was obsessed and I am pretty embarrassed that I spent so much on hockey cards.

FireFly
02-08-2007, 09:50 AM
A few months ago, among a general push spending many thousands of dollars on new suits, I appear to have paid $250 for a simple dress shirt that I had pointed at and commanded to be thrown on the pile. . . . . .
Didn't notice the cost until we got home. :bag: :rolleyes: Next time, I'll check the tag!!!

Cowperson

But I betcha it's hot! :D

Beefcake
02-08-2007, 10:18 AM
...I will admit that I used to take some peverse pleasure knowing that her leech of a sister (who stayed with us after University for seven months rent-free) was unknowingly taking long baths in there.

Now that is funny! (Well understood from someone with a pain-in-the-butt sister-in-law).

My worst ones are along the lines of others already mentioned:
1) $300 Diesel Jeans (total waste)
2) $200 component video cable (bigger waste of money)

Honorary mention goes to my $700 (2x write) CD Burner (granted, this was back when they were brand new).

Hack&Lube
02-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Oh, forgot one more.

I should say one more site.

http://www.ledshoppe.com/ is the pit of hell on my earth.

The things look so cool and they arent that expensive and tghey work for about 4 weeks then die, I am caught in a vicious cycle similar to the downtown parker guy - I swear off it then I am back on.

Damn dodgy Chinise/Korean LED SHOPPE :(

MYK

Just but those 100 pc LEDs they have for like $12 and build your own :)

Hack&Lube
02-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Now that is funny! (Well understood from someone with a pain-in-the-butt sister-in-law).

My worst ones are along the lines of others already mentioned:
1) $300 Diesel Jeans (total waste)

Honorary mention goes to my $700 (2x write) CD Burner (granted, this was back when they were brand new).

I bought a $600 6x burner back in the day. And a $1200 (yes) 17" LCD monitor that is horrible by today's standards...just because it was designed by F.A. Porsche. And I was probably 17 at the time! Uggh painful. My life is nothing but a series of awful purchases and poor decisions. I need a girlfriend to reign me in.

Oh I also purchased an expensive Diesel shirt which fit me perfectly (moreso than any shirt I've ever had before) when I bought it...when I washed it, it shrunk but I was still determined to wear and and when flexing my arm during work one day, I tore the sleeve right out!!!

Tron_fdc
02-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Banana Republic is another one. I can't leave that store without dropping $200-$500 on clothes that are:

dry clean only (which I don't EVER do)
100% cotton (get one use and they shrink)
look good in the mirror, but when I get home look like crapI love the clothes in that store, but whenever I buy stuff from them I wreck it in a week.

Prototype
02-08-2007, 10:56 AM

If it makes you feel better, I bought a $20 component video cable, and it made everything look purple... I went back to good old RCA or S-Video after.

Flashpoint
02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
A robot vacuum off ebay. Not a Roomba. The el cheapo Sharper Image one.

Frack am I lazy.

housejunk
02-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Another thing I'm horribly ashamed of......my PS3. I haven't really played video games since my college years, but I got caught up in all the hype. I was first in line for the PS2 8 years ago but my life's changed quite a bit since then. Sadly, after I bought it I realized that I don't have the luxury of sitting in my basement stoned all day like I used to. That thing just sits in my living room, staring at me and already getting dusty. That being said, I refuse to give in and sell it. I still have the rare single friend who comes over and is suitably impressed.

I-Hate-Hulse
02-08-2007, 11:21 AM
My Nintendo Wii is turning into the same while elephant as housejunk's PS3. It's a cool thing to have and play, but the days were weekends meant a 48 hour vid fest are long gone. I'm lucky to get 2 hours a week now.

Saint Troy
02-08-2007, 11:23 AM
The guy that spent $350 on a power cable is now calling Monser Cables "Overhyped". The irony detector in my office just went off.

Maybe overhyped is the wrong word, Monster is often oversold by salespeople who instead of talking about facts resort to hype or untruths. Lot's of snake oil in the audio/video hobby.

TheyCallMeBruce
02-08-2007, 12:02 PM
biggest buyer remorse for me is buying that stupid panerai automatic watch for $5,600. Glad I sold it.

Crazy Flamer
02-08-2007, 12:18 PM
My XBOx 360. I just don't play it enough. That and a pair of Sevens that ran me $300!

worth
02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
reading this thread is making me feel alot better about my spending habits. :D

Prototype
02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks everyone... Now I have proof to show my wife that thinks could be worse... lol.

troutman
02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Beware the Cornballer:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/troutman1966/Arrested_Development_-_The_Cornball.jpg

feartheflames
02-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I bought a clapper years ago. Made the lights freak out when
I played my Zeppelin.

lol

4X4
02-08-2007, 01:04 PM
I once bought a car just so that I could bash the crap out of it. I knew someone that was selling an old monte carlo and my buddy & I were watching trailer park boys... I jokingly mentioned that we could do that to the car the other guy was selling, so a couple of days later I bought it.

The stupid thing sat in my back driveway for almost a year without any bashing done to the car. Lucky though. It was always handy for breakdowns. I think I lent that car to 4 or 5 people over the course of a couple of years. We'd just write up a bogus bill of sale and throw an insured plate on it. Worst you (used to) get was a $50 fine. Of course, thats a quarter of the value of the car...

Fozzie_DeBear
02-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Great stories in here, I feel MUCH better about things....

i just bought a motorcycle on ebay and have kinda gone a bit overboard buying the accessories and other crap to go along with it...it was an impulse buy but something that I have wanted for a looooong time. And buying in the states saves a significant amount over buying it here...

Also, bought an 'upconverting' DVD player with HDMI but rarely watch DVD's anymore, and probably could have stayed with my Xbox...but it was only $100 so not a huge loss

return to the red
02-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I bought a $600 6x burner back in the day. And a $1200 (yes) 17" LCD monitor that is horrible by today's standards...just because it was designed by F.A. Porsche. And I was probably 17 at the time! Uggh painful. My life is nothing but a series of awful purchases and poor decisions. I need a girlfriend to reign me in.

But you can't think like that because otherwise you will never buy anything.

Take me for instance, I've been wanting a new TV for months now but have been holding off until our house is built. When that time comes around I will probably procrastinate because there will be some form of new technology that will make me think hmmm I should just wait a few more months for the price to come down.

It's a viscious circle my friend and unless you bite the bullet sometimes you will never leave it

my poison, like so many others is electronics cables. I purchased a couple optical cables one for my cable box and the other for my DVD player. I got home and started to hook everything up when I realized that my stupid DVD player didn't have an optical output and those suckers aren't cheap. I still have it sitting in a closet waiting until I buy a new DVD player

Homer_J
02-08-2007, 02:33 PM
OT:
For anyone buying electronic cables, I've found that Princess Auto always has a good selection at prices far lower than an Electronics store. They probably won't have some of the newer cables (like HDMI) but you can buy descent quality component and audio cables for dirt cheap.

My friend bought a new TV & stereo at Futureshop two years ago and bought $200 worth of cables. I told him to take them back and go to Princess Auto. He got everything he needed for about $50.

housejunk
02-08-2007, 02:47 PM
When I bought my plasma a couple of years ago, I got the sales guy to just load me up with every singe ridiculous, expensive cable/accesory avaliable. I spent so much apart from the TV that he ended up giving me a great deal on the actual plasma. I brought the cables back the next week (unopened, of course.....)

worth
02-08-2007, 03:20 PM
www.monoprice.com

gordo67
02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Not really a consumer item but still had buyers remorse
I think during the 03/04 season they brought in Yvan Cournoyer to sign autographs and after the game they had a live auction in Duttons. I was bought a Bernie Parent replica mask mounted above an autographed 8x10 for $700. Then they bring in Marcel Dionne same thing and I end up buying a signed Broad Street Bullies Parent/Clarke/Barber for another $500. Cool items but a little on the pricey side.

Bench Warmer
02-08-2007, 03:42 PM
My Nintendo Wii is turning into the same while elephant as housejunk's PS3. It's a cool thing to have and play, but the days were weekends meant a 48 hour vid fest are long gone. I'm lucky to get 2 hours a week now.

Yep - me as well. Don't get me wrong, it's fun and when I play it, I'm okay with having it. But, I got caught up in the chase, bought one and then immediately thought, what are you buying another game system for? I used to play alot of video games but I just don't play as much anymore because I don't have the time. And, I don't want to drop $60 on a game anymore.

I'm hopeful that in a couple years my kids and family will play it more, getting the $300 out of it. Or, that NHL 08 is ridiculous fun and makes up for it.

burn_baby_burn
02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Princess Auto has Audio / Video cables? I never would have guessed. Thanks for the tip.