PDA

View Full Version : What was good on TV?

Barnes
02-06-2007, 09:42 PM
I ride the train every morning and I watch what I miss on TV the night before on my iPod. I also like to watch shows that I have missed in the past but am running out of ideas for shows to aquire.

Here's what I have recently watched and liked so you get a sense;

Larry Sanders Show
Entourage
Freaks and Geeks
Sports Night
My Name is Earl
Arrested Development
The Office UK
Curb Your Enthusiasm

What are some good shows that have ended or didn't make it? What do you guys like?

It's in all your best interests to keep me occupied on the train before I go psycho on passangers.:D

Antithesis
02-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Hm ... a comedy guy, eh ...

I liked Undeclared, and have been a fan of Northern Exposure lately.

JiriHrdina
02-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Off the top of my head here's some under-rated stuff

On Right Now:
The Wire (best cop show in the history of TV period)
Deadwood

Stuff from the Past
American Gothic
Millenium
Quantum Leap
Buffy
Angel
Homicide Life in the Street (second best cop show in the history of TV)
Justice League (yeah its a cartoon but its surprisingly well written)
WKRP in Cin. (Apparently coming on DVD soon!)
The Maxx

jolinar of malkshor
02-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Deadwood is good.

Also, I just watched the HBO Rome series....I loved it....really good but really bloody aswell.

SG1....there are 10 seasons and it would fill a lot of your time. (If you are into sci fi).

Pagal4321
02-06-2007, 10:40 PM
The Wire is amazing...but you'd have to start from Season 1 to understand anything.

HelloHockeyFans
02-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Rome

calf
02-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Greg the Bunny

icecube
02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Oz
Carnivale
Rome
Deadwood

pretty much anything hbo does including the ones you mentioned.

JiriHrdina
02-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Ooops, forgot Twin Peaks. Season 2 just released on DVD - if you missed it when it aired its worth checking out.

Northern Exposure is another good one available on DVD.

vanisleflamesfan
02-07-2007, 06:46 AM
Deadwood is far and away, the best show I have ever seen... EVER!!

Superflyer
02-07-2007, 07:03 AM
One show that I started watching is Smallville. I know it may not be the coolest show out there but I am a big superman fan and this series is really good. I bought season 1 myself and got 2 and 3 for CHristmas. About to get 4.

Also if you can download it is Heros. This show is freaking amazing.

Cowperson
02-07-2007, 08:02 AM
What are some good shows that have ended or didn't make it? What do you guys like?

Star Trek
Get Smart
The Honeymooners

Cowperson

VANFLAMESFAN
02-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Sopranos
The Shield
Entourage

THE ONLY SHOWS ON TV THAT ARE GREAT

BlackEleven
02-07-2007, 08:03 AM
You obviously like comedy shows. The NBC version of the Office is also quite good. Another one of my favourites is Futurama. Hilarious nerd humour.

Barnes
02-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the responses. I am downloading a few of the suggestions now. I do watch the shows that are running now like the Office, Heroes, Lost, and Studio 60.

I am trying to find Northern Exposure, loved that show.
Also remembered that I loved Dr Katz, Newsradio and The Tick.

HalifaxDrunk
02-07-2007, 09:11 AM
If you want a good current show get "Dirt" (Courtney Cox's new show) from the FX network.

fredr123
02-07-2007, 09:13 AM
How about Andy Ricther Controls the Universe? I really liked that show. Me and two other guys...

burn_baby_burn
02-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Kenny vs. Spenny

Unless you have a weak stomach. Seriously, how many reality shows have one guy slipping the other guy LSD when he doesn't expect it? And then film him, high as a kite, for the rest of the day? Priceless.

Super-Rye
02-07-2007, 09:33 AM
I've been watching

LOST
Arrested Development
Weeds
Rome
Entourage
South Park
Battlestar Galactica

and of course

Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Draug
02-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Prison Break is good, IMO. Not old, and not overlooked, so you probably have already watched Season 1.

Also, I noticed you have two Sorkin shows in your list; Sports Night and Studio 60. The West Wing is a great 7 season series that would kill your bus rides from now until August. Season 1-4 are great.

I'd add Dexter to the list of good shows that nobody knows about.

It is a dark (most of the time) drama which has the main character as a serial killer. I was very skeptical, but thought I would give one episode a try, then another, then another. By Episode 4 or 5 I was totally hooked and had to pull down the whole series. It originally aired on Showtime.

http://www.tvrage.com/Dexter

I second the votes for The Shield and The Wire.

Given that I liked Dexter, The Shield, and The Wire, does anyone know of any other shows that I might try next? The Sopranos and Brotherhood are already on the list, but I just havent had time to watch them.

Sample00
02-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Star Trek
NYPD Blue
West Wing
Happy Days
Soap

JiriHrdina
02-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Given that I liked Dexter, The Shield, and The Wire, does anyone know of any other shows that I might try next? The Sopranos and Brotherhood are already on the list, but I just havent had time to watch them.

Homicide Life in the Street - its from the same creator as The Wire and is also set in Baltimore. Really it has very much the same feel as The Wire, but is more solely focused on the cops. But it is a fantastic show.

JiriHrdina
02-07-2007, 11:33 AM
How about Andy Ricther Controls the Universe? I really liked that show. Me and two other guys...

I'm one of the other two guys - thought it was fantastic.

Another show I enjoyed was "Ed" with the bowling alley lawyer. A bit cheezy at times but a good show to turn off your brain while watching.

Hemi-Cuda
02-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Dexter

best show on TV, bar none. even beats out Heroes and Battlestar Galactica. the first season is complete and easily found online (though i will be buying the DVD set as it's just that good). best main character and best season arc of any show i've ever seen

fredr123
02-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm also quite fond of Seinfeld reruns. The jokes and cultural influence continue to permeate through society to this day long after the tight jeans and white shoes have faded away...

Bobblehead
02-07-2007, 12:57 PM

I'm one of the other two guys - thought it was fantastic.

Me, as well. Who'd of thought we would all be on the same forum?

Bobblehead
02-07-2007, 01:12 PM
And I would be neglecting my duties if I didn't strongly recommend Firefly (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/)

Frank the Tank
02-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Charles in Charge is where its at.

arsenal
02-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Is Rome any good? I watched the first episode, and fell asleep during the second. Does it get any better? Or is all about political struggles?

Displaced Flames fan
02-07-2007, 01:41 PM
I've noticed that "That 70's Show" never gets mentioned in threads like this. Don't get me wrong, certainly not my favorite show ever, but I think it's hilarious. Am I alone?

Barnes
02-07-2007, 03:23 PM
I've noticed that "That 70's Show" never gets mentioned in threads like this. Don't get me wrong, certainly not my favorite show ever, but I think it's hilarious. Am I alone?

Is that the show that's on every hour of every day on at least 3 channels? I had forgotten about that show.:D

SaskaBushFire
02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Band of Brothers.

Justice League is un real, I delayed watching the last season because I didn't want it to end :p

I watched a few episodes of House lately, I really liked it. It was kind of like an action packed version of Frasier.

Pagal4321
02-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Nope!
Loved that show...
Other good ones are the shows that plenty of people watch like House, 24, etc.

BlAcKNoVa
02-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Stargate SG-1 - Been my favourite series of alltime. It's currently in it's 10th and final season. There is a spinoff series called Stargate: Atlantis that I've been getting into lately.

Other shows I've watched that I really enjoyed and aren't on TV anymore except for maybe re-runs.

Star Treks (especially Deep Space Nine)
X-Files
The Pretender

I'm not a huge TV watcher anymore other then hockey and the two Stargate series I mentioned above. But I think I'll give 24 a chance soon.

Mike F
02-07-2007, 06:18 PM
In addition to those already mentioned, the Sci-Fi show Firefly wasn't bad.

Displaced Flames fan
02-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Is that the show that's on every hour of every day on at least 3 channels? I had forgotten about that show.:D

That's true. I think it may be on 24 hours a day on my cable system. I don't really get tired of it though.

jolinar of malkshor
02-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Is Rome any good? I watched the first episode, and fell asleep during the second. Does it get any better? Or is all about political struggles?

I really like it, but I am a big time history buff....so I guess it all depends. The only thing I didn't like was when Ceaser was fighting the main battle against Pompey....they didn't have a battle scene....it was really stupid.

But other than that.....I really liked it. I will buy the second season when it comes out.

And someone else mentioned Band of Brothers. That is a good one to.

Antithesis
02-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Well, I thought the parameters of the thread were old shows that "didn't make it" ... :P

Battlestar Galactica (new series)
The Wire

Barnes
01-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Bumping this old thread due to the writers strike. Thought some may find it useful to find some new-to-them shows.

I downloaded a series called The IT Crowd from the BBC that's pretty good. Any other international shows worth checking out?

Ro
01-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Lots of good drama/action shows mentioned in this thread. Have to add Six Feet Under and The Riches to the list for sure. Anything HBO is golden it seems.

But you seem to like comedies.

Extras is awesome. Ricky Gervais is the world champion of funny.

30 Rock is surprisingly good for mainstream sitcom NBC kinda stuff.

The Sarah Silverman Program will have you cringing with awkward laughter.

Tim And Eric Awesome Show Great Job is a bit irreverent, but great nonetheless.

Wonder Showzen is similar to T&E, but with some Sesame Street on hallucinogens thrown in there.

Flight Of The Conchords isn't amazing, but it's worth checking out.

Monk is just plain good TV.

I haven't seen Californication or Moral Orel but they are both supposed to be excellent.

And even with all the hype Kenny Vs. Spenny gets, if you can get past the gross out immature stuff, it really is a hilarious examination of the modern male friendship and has themes on so many different levels. Just a brilliant show.

StrayBullet
01-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Grey's

Cliche
01-18-2008, 01:23 AM
I would almost recommend space: above and beyond, but 3/4 of the episodes were "meh"
or too over the top, or just a really high cheese/cliche factor.
although, butts was fantastic. You'll never listen to Johnny Cash the same way after.
nnqtylHWcPs

Vulcan
01-18-2008, 02:26 AM
I would almost recommend space: above and beyond, but 3/4 of the episodes were "meh"
or too over the top, or just a really high cheese/cliche factor.
although, butts was fantastic. You'll never listen to Johnny Cash the same way after.
nnqtylHWcPs

Well that was pretty good, nothing mind damaging like watching Mr.Blonde dancing to 'Stuck in the Middle With You'.

Rhetts_the_Best
01-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Extras (same guy from the first office) so freaking funny!!
Always sunny in philadelphia
Weeds
Arrested Development
Frasier(Its actually a good show)
Corner Gas
24 of course
house
Seinfeld

That would be mine at least

North East Goon
01-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Weeds seems right up your alley.
WKRP season 1 is out, and it has many of the classic episodes.
I was always a fan of King of Queens.
Family Guy

worth
01-18-2008, 08:12 AM
how much tv do you guys watch per day? The average 4 hours?

Bobblehead
01-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Weeds seems right up your alley.
WKRP season 1 is out, and it has many of the classic episodes.
I was always a fan of King of Queens.
Family Guy

The problem with this WKRP set is a) much of the music has been changed to generic filler and b) these are the shortened episodes to fit the more recent episode lengths (shorter by 1-2 minutes.) I want the originals!

Draug
01-18-2008, 08:28 AM
The problem with this WKRP set is a) much of the music has been changed to generic filler and b) these are the shortened episodes to fit the more recent episode lengths (shorter by 1-2 minutes.) I want the originals!

I can understand that the music has been changed with filler, due to licensing issues. But, I probably wouldnt buy it because of that.

Cutting each episode to fit the newer shorter lengths is totally inexcusable. Why cut something on DVD to make it the shorter? The shorter standard could only be to fit in more commercials, which shouldnt matter in the least for DVD releases. What, do they think nobody will notice we watch more commercials now than in the past if they cut DVD release too?!?!

Does anyone know if they did anything stupid like this on the HD-DVD releases of Star Trek Season 1?

simonsays
01-18-2008, 08:46 AM
If you're looking for some funny shows, and you have no problem with British humor then you should check out Jeeves & Wooster (http://imdb.com/title/tt0098833/) and Fawlty Towers (http://imdb.com/title/tt0072500/). Those that like these shows like them a lot.

Bobblehead
01-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I can understand that the music has been changed with filler, due to licensing issues. But, I probably wouldnt buy it because of that.

Cutting each episode to fit the newer shorter lengths is totally inexcusable. Why cut something on DVD to make it the shorter? The shorter standard could only be to fit in more commercials, which shouldnt matter in the least for DVD releases. What, do they think nobody will notice we watch more commercials now than in the past if they cut DVD release too?!?!

Does anyone know if they did anything stupid like this on the HD-DVD releases of Star Trek Season 1?

More than likely they did it because the clipped things like Johnny speaking over music. That would allow them to get down to the shortened running time and not need to attempt to replace the music.

Now that they are putting it on DVD they don't want to go back and replace the music so they just leave the scene out and use the shortened episodes.

Canada 02
01-18-2008, 09:03 AM
something obscure, may not be able to find it, but would love to see this again:

Fight School

http://www.tv.com/fight-school/show/22216/summary.html

habernac
01-18-2008, 09:09 AM
heck, I still love M*A*S*H.

I think the only show I try to watch now is My Name is Earl.

troutman
01-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm dating myself:

Barney Miller
WKRP
Taxi
The White Shadow

Ro
01-18-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm dating myself:

Barney Miller
WKRP
Taxi
The White Shadow

No kidding!

At least your impeccable musical tastes are a little more "with it.":cool:

bigtmac19
01-18-2008, 09:57 PM
If you're looking for some funny shows, and you have no problem with British humor then you should check out Jeeves & Wooster (http://imdb.com/title/tt0098833/) and Fawlty Towers (http://imdb.com/title/tt0072500/). Those that like these shows like them a lot.

Do you like Little Britain?

Azure
01-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Sigh.

Prison Break started again.

Going through 24....again. Stupid strike.

604flames
01-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Chalk up another vote for Prison Break.

Also, I've really started to dig How I Met Your Mother

Flash Walken
01-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Californication is the best show on TV right now.

I don't even want to tell you clones about it, it's that good. But I'll tell Barnes, so everyone else pretend you didn't read this.

peter12
01-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, Minister was a glorious British political sit-com. I think they used to have a political science course specifically on that show at the UoC. Before my time.

JiriHrdina
01-19-2008, 10:36 AM
I hate to go on about The Wire again but damn it is just such a good show. The writing is better than anything else on TV, interweving tons of characters and never leaving anything behind.

The acting is from top to bottom fantastic.

Honestly it just makes the rest of TV look like a pile of junk...and I like a lot of TV. But this show just sets a higher bar.

OK I'm done.

browna
01-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes, Minister was a glorious British political sit-com. I think they used to have a political science course specifically on that show at the UoC. Before my time.

For years, up until I want to say two years ago, for some inexpicalbe reason reason, "Are you Being Served" was shown on YTV latenight during the week. What followed right after was "Yes Minister" or "Keeping Up Appearances", they would switch every couple years.
Very dry humor, and somewhat simplied storyline...but real policitcs in Britan likely wasn't much different behind the scenes in those days.
To be honest, it took watching at least 10 episodes to start to see the humor...so there's no way, either in Britan or here, that that show or shows would ever get past 6 episodes these days.

WKRP was classic...nowhere to be found on the air in the last 5 years in Calgary. Can't believe the DVD has been ized like that though...its not as though they played full tracks.

The other old show I watch with extreme regularity, and it comes off and on Deja Vu (the only reason I ever watch those digital channels)depening on the time of year (noticed it the last two summers, but then gone come fall) and way back when used to be on A&E, is the Rockford Files. I've likely seen episode 3 or 4 times, but James Garner was a great actor and this was a great role for him, and a quality show all around.

BlackEleven
01-19-2008, 12:15 PM
I hate to go on about The Wire again but damn it is just such a good show. The writing is better than anything else on TV, interweving tons of characters and never leaving anything behind.

The acting is from top to bottom fantastic.

Honestly it just makes the rest of TV look like a pile of junk...and I like a lot of TV. But this show just sets a higher bar.

OK I'm done.

Consider this seconded. Far and away the best show on tv. Nothing else comes close.