PDA

View Full Version : Starting a business...need some direction.

Rifleman
02-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi CPers. I would like to start a company to do websites for small businesses. And I'd like to pick your brains for any useful information about starting your own business.

I've heard from some people all you need to do is register your business at a registry, but looking through the government websites, I'm not exactly sure what I'm suppose to register it under. Sole proprietorship? Trade name?

I'm the only one who is going to be running it. How do I know if my business name has not already been taken? If a company took my name and they are say, selling power tools or something, then can it be the same name? What if they are in a different part of the country, like say, Ontario?

There is a lot to do, but hopefully, with a little help, I can make it successful. Thanks in advance.

troutman
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
You should get advice from an accountant and a corporate lawyer.

Sylvanfan
02-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Yeah, spending $1000 on a lawyer now can save you $100,000 or more at a later date. Thats one thing you don't want to cheap out on.

worth
02-06-2007, 02:14 PM
There's an office in the Calgary Municipal Building you go and wait in. You take a number sit and wait for 2 hours. Then they call your number and ask you what the business is and what the name is. They will tell you if the name is avalible. You'll have to pay a couple fees and such. Not a big deal. Probably around $100 or so depending on the business. Actually, for some businesses i think it's a lot more.

You don't need a lawyer or any of that junk. I'm assuming it will be a home based business, so there are restrictions on to how much of your home you can dedicate to your business etc. It's all on the city of calgary website. Look it up.

I started my own painting business at 20 years old with no cash no lawyers and dumped it a few months later no problems whatsoever.

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Development+and+Building+Approvals+and+Land+Use+Pl anning+and+Policy/Business+Licences/Business+Licences.htm

fredr123
02-06-2007, 02:23 PM
You don't need a lawyer or any of that junk. I'm assuming it will be a home based business, so there are restrictions on to how much of your home you can dedicate to your business etc. It's all on the city of calgary website. Look it up.

I started my own painting business at 20 years old with no cash no lawyers and dumped it a few months later no problems whatsoever.

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Development+and+Building+Approvals+and+Land+Use+Pl anning+and+Policy/Business+Licences/Business+Licences.htm

Yeesh. Buddy's looking for advice about protecting a business name and you send him a link about Business Licenses. While a license may be required, it doesn't do a dern thing to answer his questions. Plus, you go and attempt to dissuade him from doing one of the single smartest things anyone can ever do when they start a new endeavor (whether it be starting a business, buying a house, getting married, etc.): consult an expert. In this case an accountant to understand the tax consequences of various forms of business organization and a lawyer with respect to the trade name and other legal issues.

CaptainCrunch
02-06-2007, 02:25 PM
I believe you can also buy pre-created numbered companies, which could save you the time in setting up a normal company.

Crazy Flamer
02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
If you want to register a trade name, you will have to go to a registry where they will perform a name search to see if anyone else is operating under that name. But just by registering a trade name, you are still a sole propietorship, which means you yourself will be personally responsible for any debts the business may incur.

worth
02-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeesh. Buddy's looking for advice about protecting a business name and you send him a link about Business Licenses. While a license may be required, it doesn't do a dern thing to answer his questions. Plus, you go and attempt to dissuade him from doing one of the single smartest things anyone can ever do when they start a new endeavor (whether it be starting a business, buying a house, getting married, etc.): consult an expert. In this case an accountant to understand the tax consequences of various forms of business organization and a lawyer with respect to the trade name and other legal issues.

Starting a business...need some direction.
I would like to start a company
register your business at a registry
not exactly sure what I'm suppose to register it under
How do I know if my business name has not already been taken
As I stated, if you go to the municipal building, they answer all of his questions for him. The website I linked also answers all of his questions.

Titan
02-06-2007, 02:32 PM
http://www.sblc.ca

These guys specialize in helping small business from a legal and accounting perspective. I know them both and highly recommend meeting with them to discuss your options. The myriad of hassles and regulations out there makes this a very good investment. They will also provide only the advice and service you need for a reasonable price.

Rifleman
02-06-2007, 02:32 PM

No, the link was good. It's alright. Since I am new at this, all links and stuff is welcome.

fredr123
02-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Ensuring other people aren't using your business name and getting a business license are two different things. I didn't dig too deeply into that link but it looked to me like it was mostly about the municipal licensing requirements for the City of Calgary. That's good stuff to know in any event.

I still think that seeing an expert is probably wise. The City won't give you legal or accounting advice. They can nudge you in the proper direction but you are probably best served, at least the first time out, to have an expert/legal opinion to fall back on. Of course, I'm pretty biased in that regard.

An ounce of prevention, cut once, etc etc

worth
02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
When you go to register your business and get a business license, they ask you for the name you want to use and they check it for you to see if it's avaliable.

fredr123
02-06-2007, 02:43 PM
When you go to register your business and get a business license, they ask you for the name you want to use and they check it for you to see if it's avaliable.
That just checks the provincial registry though, right? Each province has its own registration system and then the Canada Business Corporations Act probably has its own regime as well. Do the Ontario registries get checked by the City people too? Not trying to be an ass but I'm asking out of curiosity...

worth
02-06-2007, 02:47 PM
That, i'm not positive of.

Slava
02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
If you are going to be doing this full-time as your only source of income then getting the advice of experts is an absolute must!! Having gone through this myself (totally different industry) I had my own set of pre-conceived notions going in. Basically a lot of those boiled down to the "I'm different than others because...". By this I mean to say that I knew better, would be more successful, etc. While I am certainly successful now, it wasn't because I reinvented the wheel

You should see a lawyer, and an accountant. When you really get things rolling you should see a financial advisor/planner as well. It's true that anyone can set-up a company and open the doors, but to have a good, successful company is another thing entirely. (At least in my humble opinion).

Bend it like Bourgeois
02-06-2007, 03:46 PM
the best source of info is the Business Information Centre

http://www.calgary-smallbusiness.com/

They have a library of business info, consultants for 1 on 1 advice, and tons of contacts - all at no charge.

FLAMESBURNOIL
02-06-2007, 05:40 PM
not to be an ass or anything...but i hope you have some connections lined up to feed you constant website work and have a good business model...i work for a few small web companies in calgary and no one makes money off of just doin websites...good luck!