PDA

View Full Version : Bugatti Veyron - 407km/h!

photon
02-06-2007, 11:48 AM
This is incredible.

-8cqgInEPcY

Frank the Tank
02-06-2007, 11:52 AM
My Focus wagon is way cooler than that...:ph34r:

Table 5
02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
My Focus wagon is way cooler than that...:ph34r:

yeah, well my metro card is way cooler than THAT.

That Bugatti is incredible. The Top Gear guys must have the funnest job on earth.

fanforever1986
02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
How does one go about renting out that VW test track? Damn that'd be fun.

The comment about the tires blowing up 3 minutes after the fuel would run out had me laughing, lol.
When it says its the fastest production car in the world...what cars don't fall under that category?

MJK
02-06-2007, 12:30 PM
WOW thats awesome!!! Nice find!

arsenal
02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
The comment about the tires blowing up 3 minutes after the fuel would run out had me laughing, lol. And i think the tires cost about $20,000 CDN each.

When it says its the fastest production car in the world...what cars don't fall under that category?
Everything else ;)

fanforever1986
02-06-2007, 12:33 PM
And i think the tires cost about $20,000 CDN each.

Everything else ;)

i meant which cars are not 'production cars'

arsenal
02-06-2007, 12:35 PM
i meant which cars are not 'production cars'
Anything that is not available for the general public to purchase.
IE: F1, Cart, Stock

TheyCallMeBruce
02-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Rocket cars.

Looger
02-06-2007, 12:39 PM
i've heard all kinds of descriptions of 'production car' but i think the most legitimate one is that the vehicle is its own VIN and is sold at a dealership as a new car, not a remanufactured / rebuild, and that it's insurable.

the motoring media referred for a long time to the mcaren f1 as a production car, but not the calloway sledgehammer, which was a heavily modified corvette that went 254 mph.

so the VIN on the 'hammer would technically make it a corvette, therefore not stock, not production.

not sure how the SVT vehicles fare, i know that the saleen mustangs are purchasable at special dealers.

EDIT: the car has to abide by crash / safety and emission regulations as i recall.

the porsche 959 most famously couldn't conform to the emissions, the mclaren had to have stupid add-on bumpers to be legally sold (i'm sure all owners took them off straight away) for bumper height.

arsenal
02-06-2007, 12:58 PM
not sure how the SVT vehicles fare, i know that the saleen mustangs are purchasable at special dealers.

the porsche 959 most famously couldn't conform to the emissions, the mclaren had to have stupid add-on bumpers to be legally sold (i'm sure all owners took them off straight away) for bumper height.
I think the only ford dealership in canada (western maybe) that sells SVT cars is the ford dealership by Avenida. They will be able to get you any super car ford sells. If you want the mustang gt 500 (only 2 in calgary right now), you will have to be put on a list, and wait till about 2009 to get your car.

I saw a ford gt at that dealership with the stupid bumper extension (Damn canadian DoT). I also saw a ford gt at race city, but the owner and take the bumper extension off.

Sylvanfan
02-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Wow thats insane. At 250 mph that 5.5 mile straight stretch gets eaten up pretty fast, as you're going over 4 miles in a minute. When he got back down to 120mph he probably felt like he was going 25. Bloody nuts I say!

Bunk
02-06-2007, 03:27 PM
^Captain Slow said after the run he was about to get out, but then double checked the speedometer, and wes still doing 70! Very disorienting going that speed.

This episode was amazing of Top Gear. Best show ever! The episode previous showed one of the hosts, Hammond, in his crash in a rocket car that almost killed him last summer while taping for the show. He set an unofficial british land speed record at 317mph. On the 4th run, his tire blew at 300mph and his car went rolling.

Burninator
02-06-2007, 03:34 PM
So is this from the new season?

Bunk
02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah, that was from the second episode of the year, which aired sunday.

shane_c
02-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah, that was from the second episode of the year, which aired sunday.

What channel is Top Gear on?

Bunk
02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
uhh, BBC2. You have to basically download it off a bittorrent.

I get it off a university hub of DC++, but this site http://www.finalgear.com/ usually has it to download.

Burninator
02-06-2007, 03:52 PM
I have BBC Canada on Shaw digital cable. They show Top Gear, but I'm not sure if the new ones air at the same time as the real BBC channel.

FireFly
02-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Holy crap. I'd probably crap myself well before it hit 300km/h. Well before. Although I imagine that you don't feel as if you're going that fast... The fastest I've ever been was 180, and that was fast enough, but in a low car, it didn't feel that fast.

FlamesKickAss
02-06-2007, 05:59 PM
wow, such as same you'd never be ever to use that

kipperfan
02-06-2007, 06:06 PM
I read an article on the Veyron last week...cant find the link right now though. Apparently there are only 16 of the vehicles that have been sold, and only 2 of those are located in north america, and of course, neither of them in Canada. I also read in the article that the selling price was more then $1.1 million USD.

RougeUnderoos
02-06-2007, 08:07 PM
The real remarkable thing is that they are able to get that car up to those speeds even though it weighs 850 thousand pounds.

Sylvanfan
02-06-2007, 08:13 PM
The real remarkable thing is that they are able to get that car up to those speeds even though it weighs 850 thousand pounds.

:D Yeah, that comment about this 850,000 pound car might confuse a few folks who don't pick up that it's a British program off the hop.

Looger
02-06-2007, 08:50 PM
once cars get to a certain speed level it's rare that they're under 3500-4000 pounds, i used to think it was a bit nuts but increased stiffness in the structure, larger unsprung wieght in rims and tires, brakes, suspension, pretty soon it's heavy i guess.

all the mid-90s japanese supercars with the exception of the rx-7 (which had a very light engine and was a little smaller), were 3500 lbs +.

another factor is the seats, i indirectly knew a guy that installed stereos and he needed help to get the 300 lb seats out of a dodge stealth - so comfort seems to play a part too.

over 100 mph it's kind of a brute force over aerodynamics thing, weight savings would quicken the acceleration but wouldn't really have much of an effect on top speed as i understand it.

Nuje
02-06-2007, 08:54 PM
:D Yeah, that comment about this 850,000 pound car might confuse a few folks who don't pick up that it's a British program off the hop.

Haha yeah. Top Gear is easily my favorite show, since I'm a bit of a Motorhead Clarkson type myself. Also, props to Hammond for recovering. Props to Hammond fans in sending money to the air ambulance company that transported him (they used it to buy another helicopter!). That Veyron is sweet...I need to get that episode.

photon
02-07-2007, 09:03 AM
over 100 mph it's kind of a brute force over aerodynamics thing, weight savings would quicken the acceleration but wouldn't really have much of an effect on top speed as i understand it.

Yup, the speed that a car can go is a function only of the engine driving it and the drag and friction the car produces (even at speeds below 100mph, it's just all cars have engines powerful enough to do it).

Which was cool because after the guy puts in the magic key the car pulls in its spoiler and hunkers down close to the road to decrease its drag coefficient!

Draug
02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I read an article on the Veyron last week...cant find the link right now though. Apparently there are only 16 of the vehicles that have been sold, and only 2 of those are located in north america, and of course, neither of them in Canada. I also read in the article that the selling price was more then $1.1 million USD.

Here is a good article on them.

WOW.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/bugatti_veyron.asp

TheyCallMeBruce
02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
once cars get to a certain speed level it's rare that they're under 3500-4000 pounds, i used to think it was a bit nuts but increased stiffness in the structure, larger unsprung wieght in rims and tires, brakes, suspension, pretty soon it's heavy i guess.

all the mid-90s japanese supercars with the exception of the rx-7 (which had a very light engine and was a little smaller), were 3500 lbs +.

case in point. Nissan Skyline R34 GTR

Looger
02-07-2007, 11:17 AM
yep - never driven one however.

i'm a nissan buff, the 300zx i like as it feels very similar to the 2 240SX's i've owned. but you can definitely feel the 3500 lbs in the turbo.

also i drove a 1993 rx-7, and WOW did it feel light in the curves - those huge tires ran with every rut in the road however.
EDIT: drove meaning test-drove, never owned.

the supra is ~ 3500, never driven or even been in one (3rd gen).

an old roomate of mine had a stealth, and it felt like a monster even just as a passenger - lots of grip but wow - strange feeling.

TheyCallMeBruce
02-07-2007, 11:27 AM
yep - never driven one however.

i'm a nissan buff, the 300zx i like as it feels very similar to the 2 240SX's i've owned. but you can definitely feel the 3500 lbs in the turbo.

also i drove a 1993 rx-7, and WOW did it feel light in the curves - those huge tires ran with every rut in the road however.
EDIT: drove meaning test-drove, never owned.

the supra is ~ 3500, never driven or even been in one (3rd gen).

an old roomate of mine had a stealth, and it felt like a monster even just as a passenger - lots of grip but wow - strange feeling.

Nice, sounds like you are a huge car buff. I am a nissan buff myself. I've seen a lot of work on the sr20dets and the rb series engines. Nissan was the reason why I got into imports. Oh, on a similar note, my ex-gf used to own a 3rd gen RX-7 FD. That thing was a beast! She even had a T88!

EDIT: However, she had to change oil every 3000km LOL. It was brutal work. Oh well, at least she was a happy rotory owner.

arsenal
02-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I also read in the article that the selling price was more then $1.1 million USD.

I think it also costs Volkswagon (who owns Bugatti) about 2 or 3 million to produce a single car.

Looger
02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Nice, sounds like you are a huge car buff. I am a nissan buff myself. I've seen a lot of work on the sr20dets and the rb series engines. Nissan was the reason why I got into imports. Oh, on a similar note, my ex-gf used to own a 3rd gen RX-7 FD. That thing was a beast! She even had a T88!

EDIT: However, she had to change oil every 3000km LOL. It was brutal work. Oh well, at least she was a happy rotory owner.
those sr20s are monsters, and man are they cheap. i haven't even checked the prices lately because you can usually find a decent 'done' car in the states for 4000-5000 US which may be a better option.

EDIT: guy i went to school with moved to california and built an rx-7 to 400+ hp, it was a total deathtrap. but when it broke down, it was expensive. he upgraded just the downpipe for $1200 US!!!

i was planning to ride out the engine in my last 240 and then do the swap, but a winter+ of driving out to different sawmills every day totalled the suspension and necessitated body work. i had a good friend of mine seal it up and primer it but a decent paint job plus new suspension all around was looking more than another 240, so i donated it to my buddy who's always liked it - he's a mechanic, i'm not!

plus the electrical system had been hit pretty hard by some attempted thefts.

the sr20 thing though - it's a thought but maybe it's time to move into the 300, they are total sweethearts. every time i check into it they're a little cheaper. or maybe i'll get a nissan 4x4 truck. who knows.

Looger
02-07-2007, 11:45 AM
I think it also costs Volkswagon (who owns Bugatti) about 2 or 3 million to produce a single car.
i'm not read up the bugatti but the old mclaren was a loser at each $700K tag as well, but they had something like 27 patents - many in carbon fiber construction - that were showcased in the car so it turned out to be a decent business model.

i think these makers like to have the image more than anything.

god bless them.

arsenal
02-07-2007, 12:08 PM
those sr20s are monsters, and man are they cheap. i haven't even checked the prices lately because you can usually find a decent 'done' car in the states for 4000-5000 US which may be a better option.

EDIT: guy i went to school with moved to california and built an rx-7 to 400+ hp, it was a total deathtrap. but when it broke down, it was expensive. he upgraded just the downpipe for $1200 US!!!

i was planning to ride out the engine in my last 240 and then do the swap, but a winter+ of driving out to different sawmills every day totalled the suspension and necessitated body work. i had a good friend of mine seal it up and primer it but a decent paint job plus new suspension all around was looking more than another 240, so i donated it to my buddy who's always liked it - he's a mechanic, i'm not!

plus the electrical system had been hit pretty hard by some attempted thefts.

the sr20 thing though - it's a thought but maybe it's time to move into the 300, they are total sweethearts. every time i check into it they're a little cheaper. or maybe i'll get a nissan 4x4 truck. who knows.

I have an 89 240sx with a KA engine in it. I was planning on doing an RB25 DET swap, paint, etc the whole thing. Then I realized that if I did that, there was no way I would be able to afford the R35. So I am just counting the days untill spring of 2008.

Looger
02-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I have an 89 240sx with a KA engine in it. I was planning on doing an RB25 DET swap, paint, etc the whole thing. Then I realized that if I did that, there was no way I would be able to afford the R35. So I am just counting the days untill spring of 2008.
i had a 90 with the KA24E and also a 92 with the KA24DE, and i definitely liked the old SOHC engine more - a lot more jam at lower revs, i swear it was faster at high speeds with that fat torque curve.

i haven't been following ANY developments with new cars, mostly because car/driver and road/track etc. have become 'SUV monthly' echhh. used to hang around the 240sx.org forums - also as Looger. we're talkin 2001, 2002! those guys sure know their stuff.

are we finally getting the skyline? links???

honestly i'd prefer the S15 (i think) with the 6-speed and the 240 hp engine, i'm in no need of a monster and a little mileage would be nice. it does kinda resemble a grand am but i'd like to see a car similar to that, with a fastback, marketed here - one day i hope to buy new but there is nothing worth bothering under $50,000.

arsenal
02-07-2007, 12:18 PM
i'm not read up the bugatti but the old mclaren was a loser at each $700K tag as well, but they had something like 27 patents - many in carbon fiber construction - that were showcased in the car so it turned out to be a decent business model.

i think these makers like to have the image more than anything.

god bless them.

I agree. Volkswagon said to Bugatti "Make us a 1000-hp super car to sell".
Thank god they did. I am not up on how this actually will affect the car market in the future, or what new technologies they needed to create in order to make it happen. But with out companies doing things like this, the car market would be stagnent.

Another car company that is at the forefront (always) is Mercedes.
If you have time, check out the S-Class. It has features such as Infared lamps that display into the center console. And a system that can pick up both Radio and TV signals. Things that no other car has, but probably will have in the next 5 years.

Looger
02-07-2007, 12:21 PM
i remember a chrysler exec saying in an interview that the viper gets people in the showroom even if they leave with a neon.

arsenal
02-07-2007, 12:31 PM
are we finally getting the skyline? links???
Yep. Coming to NA in spring 2008. It is being released in Japan in the fall of this year. It looks like the 80-90% of vehicle being shown at the Tokyo 2007 auto show will be in the production version.
http://www.automotive.com/spied-cars/90/112-0601-2008-nissan-gt-r/index.html
Nissan has confirmed that North America will get the same powertrain as the rest of the world, rumored to be a twin-turbo, 450-horse, 3.7-liter V-6 (there was talk our market only would get a 4.5-liter V-8) Now we will have to see if this will pass Canadian DoT Standards.

honestly i'd prefer the S15 (i think) with the 6-speed and the 240 hp engine, i'm in no need of a monster and a little mileage would be nice. it does kinda resemble a grand am but i'd like to see a car similar to that, with a fastback, marketed here - one day i hope to buy new but there is nothing worth bothering under $50,000.

I would like an S15 as well. They are pretty nice. But the chances of that happening are very very slim. But you could always pick one up in about 8 years ;) Canadian DoT regulations are far too tight. We always get water-downed versions of cars.
We may not even be getting the Evo X. I guess it all depends on where they put the intercooler. Or at least brace the front bumper to the frame more.

Looger
02-07-2007, 12:35 PM
eh - i was hoping they'd change it from the concept, i simply abhore those brutal jutting front fender flares a la 350Z.

i read an interesting styling analysis in a 'sports car international' when the 350Z debuted, and i totally agree with the article - we are seeing sport utility styling cues in the newer sports cars.

jutting fender flares, high window sills, fat asses. uuugghhh.

these cars will be the AMC pacers of the future, mark my words. the classic long hood, short rear deck, of the 1960s ferarris, jags, 240z's, still looks good today - form follows function.

Nuje
02-07-2007, 10:20 PM

now that I've watched the episode myself....he meant it costs 850 000 pounds...that IS their currency remember.

Azure
02-07-2007, 10:29 PM
The Mclaren F1 had a selling price of a cool million.

They only ever made 50 or so cars to sell to the public.

I guess its not the fastest standard production car anymore. :(

V
02-07-2007, 10:46 PM
now that I've watched the episode myself....he meant it costs 850 000 pounds...that IS their currency remember.

It's usually a pretty good idea to not take what Rouge has to say at face value.

Jake
02-07-2007, 11:44 PM
For me saying its going 113 m/s makes me realize more so how freakin' fast that is.

I think I remember a one-off Lingenfelter C5 Corvette a few years doing 0-60 in 1.7 seconds. Not sure what the top speed was.

Hack&Lube
02-08-2007, 12:15 AM
How fast was Hamster going in his rocket car before the crash?

As for the Veyron, reportedly, it costs them 10 times as much money to build than what it sells for.

Daradon
02-08-2007, 07:13 AM
So that's the car my buddy is always talking about...

But does it have illuminated cupholders? :ph34r: