PDA

View Full Version : Garth Turner joining Liberals

calculoso
02-06-2007, 10:02 AM
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070206/turner_liberals_070206/20070206?hub=TopStories

"I'm being told that Garth Turner, who was kicked out of the Conservative caucus, and has been sitting as an Independent, is expected to join the Liberal caucus this afternoon," CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife reported on Newsnet.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/02/06/turner-liberals.html
Officials from the office of Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion confirmed the move to Radio-Canada on Tuesday.

Lurch
02-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Pretty much an epidemic - not that I'm all that opposed since it weakens party rule and gets us a little closer to actual democracy.

Slava
02-06-2007, 10:11 AM
I am opposed. I think that the people in his riding voted for a conservative and chances are that most of them didn't want a Liberal MP. Its an erosion of democracy.

metallicat
02-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Once again, I'm opposed. And I continue to be dumbfounded. How can one just all of a sudden become a liberal, if you were a conservative and vice versa? This crap makes no sense to me.

MarchHare
02-06-2007, 10:33 AM
What a power-hungry whore.

Agamemnon
02-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Slut

Rathji
02-06-2007, 10:42 AM
He prolly just wants a dip in Stronach.

RW99
02-06-2007, 10:49 AM
While I am happy the Liberals are getting someone, I am fully against switching parties when your constituents have voted for you (most times) based on your party.

PsYcNeT
02-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Once again, I'm opposed. And I continue to be dumbfounded. How can one just all of a sudden become a liberal, if you were a conservative and vice versa? This crap makes no sense to me.

If you honestly think there is a difference between the parties, their members, and their policies, you are severely deluding yourself.

The Liberal and current incarnation of the 'Conservative' parties have been slowly watering themselves down for about 30 years, neither really taking firm stances on either issue (except on a pulpit) and definately not making any waves once voted into office.

Canadian politics is was and always will be wishy-washy balogna where both parties stand for only two things: money and power.

Oh, for a governement that is accountable and will get things done, vote Libertarian next election :D

mykalberta
02-06-2007, 11:08 AM
I think the Liberals might be biting off more than they can chew. Sure he is an independent that will give them one more seat - but there is a reason he got booted from the C party - in a Parlimentry style system you need your MP's to fall inline to what the leader does/says/wants. If MP's cant do that then they should sit as independents.

Good luck to both the Conservatives and the liberals.

MYK

Winsor_Pilates
02-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Don't like that they can do this either. Sit as inde until the next election.

Why was he booted from the C's in the first place? I can't recall

The Goon
02-06-2007, 11:12 AM
The Conservatives pretty much kicked Turne out and said he couldn't run again as a Conservative, so that's not his fault. His move to being an independent was natural.

His aligning with the Liberal Party is another matter. I'll be interested in his explanation before I cast judgement.

PsYcNeT
02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Official explanation: "They fell in line with my new views on politics and I agree with the directions they are taking."

Not-official explanation: "There's more power and money in the Liberal party, and a better chance I'll re-win my riding."

Burninator
02-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Pretty much an epidemic - not that I'm all that opposed since it weakens party rule and gets us a little closer to actual democracy.

Acutal democracy? You mean when one party pushes through legislation at will with the other part of the government having zero say. Right, sounds really democratic to me. :confused:

The Goon
02-06-2007, 11:36 AM
It's annoying to see, particularly given Mr. Turner's previous stand against such a move. Technically, he's not jumping from one party to the other, but the sense of democracy being thwarted remains as strong.

I'm disappointed, and I'll be interested to hear his explanation.

Good background from the Globe (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070206.wturner0206/BNStory/National/home)

Lurch
02-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Acutal democracy? You mean when one party pushes through legislation at will with the other part of the government having zero say. Right, sounds really democratic to me.

Exactly my point. I think parties have way too much sway, which leads to a situation where the PMO can effectively dictate policy and the role of the Opposition is to bray their disapproval. For a guy that promised more free votes and action on the democratic deficit, it seems Harper wields an iron hand over his MP's. Any move that weakens this system, regardless of who it benefits, is at least somewhat beneficial in my mind.

Azure
02-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Oh, for a governement that is accountable and will get things done, vote Libertarian next election :D

You mean the Liberatarian party that supports getting rid of the military?

CaptainCrunch
02-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Official explanation: "They fell in line with my new views on politics and I agree with the directions they are taking."

Not-official explanation: "There's more power and money in the Liberal party, and a better chance I'll re-win my riding."

I don't know about the second statement, from what I understand the Liberal's are pretty broke right now, they don't have the power that they used to have, and it might be nip and tuck for Turner to re-win his riding.

Resolute 14
02-06-2007, 05:48 PM
I like how he blasted Harper, claiming that the Conservative caucus did not allow dissent. Apparently he hasn't kept up with the Liberal party's history of same.

calculoso
02-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Forget the Liberal party history... look at the most recent "my way or the highway" choice given to Mr. Khan.

fanforever1986
02-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Whata tool, he was the loudest blabbermouth when emerson crossed the floor. i hate politics.