PDA

View Full Version : Firewood

Ironhorse
02-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know of a good place to buy some more firewood? I've pretty much exhausted my supply, and don't really feel like paying the gouging prices at the local gas station.

It has to be pretty good and ready to use, I don't want to have it in my basement for 2 months trying to dry it out.

Addick
02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
You could try Ornamental Garden Supplies up by the airport, 28 Aero Road N.E..

ken0042
02-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Brunco is one option. Another place I've bought it from in bulk was Spruce It Up (http://www.spruceitupgardencentre.ca/about.php) just south of town on MacLeod Trail. IIRC I paid about $50 for a Ford Ranger load.

BlackArcher101
02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Brunco is one option. Another place I've bought it from in bulk was Spruce It Up (http://www.spruceitupgardencentre.ca/about.php) just south of town on MacLeod Trail. IIRC I paid about $50 for a Ford Ranger load.

Good price. There's always ads in the buy&sell/shoppers as well isn't there?

Looger
02-05-2007, 08:24 PM
You could try Ornamental Garden Supplies up by the airport, 28 Aero Road N.E..
if that's the place up on 11th street by deerfoot mall (if it's still there) then i have to say 'seconded'.

i bought 1/2 cord of applewood and it was the best firewood i've ever bought, long-burning and hot.

Jayems
02-05-2007, 08:25 PM
there are some indians that sell it out in Bragg Creek. Don't know for how much, but they have quite a lot out there.

PYroMaNiaC
02-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Blue Grass Sod. If you want a lot, my husband might cut you a chord or two for a decent price but we're a long way out of Calgary, so that's no good if you're in a rush.

lazy_programmer
02-06-2007, 08:03 AM
I heard the calgarypuck way is to ask your co-workers to bring some on the c-train during their commute to work.

4X4
02-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I used to go to the place on 11 st SE just north of 58th ave. Can't remember the name or the price, but it was the cheapest place I ever found. IIRC, I used to pay $30 to fill the back of my old Explorer (back seat down) up to the height of the front seats.

Pretty wicked deal. But this was two years ago.

Buff
02-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I used to get mine for free. My wife's dad used to get unused skids from work and cut them up for us. A friend of his had a dead tree on his farm and let us take it all away for free, we just had to cut up what we wanted. I've got a supply of wood to last the next 5 winters.

Supposedly there is a place near Blairmore that lets you cut up all the wood you want and you can take it for about $25.

Ironhorse
02-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the responses, I think I'll be checking out the place by the Airport.

Pyromaniac, that is a pretty fitting handle for someone responding in a firewood thread. ;)

shane_c
02-08-2007, 08:45 PM
I was heading south on 84th St tonight and just before I got to 61 ave SE there was a big shed or something like that on my right that said free firewood.