PDA

View Full Version : Conroy Position Paper Values...

conroy22
02-03-2007, 04:05 PM
So for my social class, I have to write a position paper on anything we want, so I picked the Conroy trade. I thought it would be easy, but I am getting myself stuck on the values for why we shouldnt have him on our team. I'll list the 3 I have...

1. 35 yr old vetran, might not play as well (value-improvement)
2. Salary Cap (value- equality)
3. Giving up Draft picks (value- ??)

Ive never really wrote a position paper before, since my teacher last year just didnt bother to teach us anything, so Im still trying to get a grasp on the values part. We also have to have Negative Implications. I have one for why he should have been traded, but not one for why he shouldnt have.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Edit: I figured out the Salary Cap value from how I argued it)

...hm, I also figured out the Negative Implication (the whole Langkow and Lombardi issue...)

Maritime Q-Scout
02-03-2007, 04:10 PM
2. Salary cap the value is the opportunity lost to bring in another centre. Was Conroy the best centre on the market? Could we have brought someone else in that has more skill. What about the money being used on a Lombardi that might be the odd man out?

3. Draft picks could be huge, what if these guys pan out (use examples of picks that worked out in those rounds)?

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

conroy22
02-03-2007, 04:15 PM
2. Salary cap the value is the opportunity lost to bring in another centre. Was Conroy the best centre on the market? Could we have brought someone else in that has more skill. What about the money being used on a Lombardi that might be the odd man out?

3. Draft picks could be huge, what if these guys pan out (use examples of picks that worked out in those rounds)?

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

Somewhat, thats what I used to explain my argument. The Values are like what people value...such as efficiency, freedom, nationalism, democracy..(some examples she gave us).

ShaolinFlame
02-03-2007, 04:22 PM
you are making this way too hard on yourself. Im sure you are very intelligable about hockey but...

A free essay on values, i would pick a topic that has more clearly defined values than a hockey trade. I would suggest anything easy. One thing i learned n school is if you want the best marks write a paper that the teacher would like, not that i myself would like. Usually teachers love anti war stuff, or anti america stuff. If you really want to stay in hockey maybe the positive values that the flames bring to calgary in general.

Not that your topic is bad atall, i jsut think you would be making it a LOT EASIER on yourself by picking something a little more accessible. Unless your teacher is a flames fanatic, then maybe u shud write about conroy.

oh yeah, im assuming this is middle/high school? Sounds like you dont have the university paper regurgittion skill yet. I vomit dope last minute essays!

conroy22
02-03-2007, 04:28 PM
you are making this way too hard on yourself. Im sure you are very intelligable about hockey but...

A free essay on values, i would pick a topic that has more clearly defined values than a hockey trade. I would suggest anything easy. One thing i learned n school is if you want the best marks write a paper that the teacher would like, not that i myself would like. Usually teachers love anti war stuff, or anti america stuff. If you really want to stay in hockey maybe the positive values that the flames bring to calgary in general.

Not that your topic is bad atall, i jsut think you would be making it a LOT EASIER on yourself by picking something a little more accessible. Unless your teacher is a flames fanatic, then maybe u shud write about conroy.

oh yeah, im assuming this is middle/high school? Sounds like you dont have the university paper regurgittion skill yet. I vomit dope last minute essays!

haha yeahh Im making it very hard on myself, but my teacher is the Athletic Leadership teacher and she likes sports. I did a project on a football coach last semester and I happen to have it with me in her class and she made a point to say something to me about it. I would have chose something way easier, but I had to do it with sports in mind. I always do good on stuff I relate to sports, because thats what I love. I just have to figure out those 2 values and im set. haha I can do it. And yeah..its for grade 11.

Maritime Q-Scout
02-03-2007, 06:52 PM
hmmmm... #3 draft picks

giving up the draft picks you're giving more freedom of choice to other teams, thus making the draft unequal, and that each team doesn't have equal opportunity to the players (very poor arguments as it's by your own choice)

efficiency - economies of scale, if you're giving up a larger quantity of players to choose your team from you're creating less compeition for spots and possibly weakening your team?

Maybe it's because I'm over tired, but I'm not 100% sure understanding the various "value" aspects... to me value is an arugment, freedom, efficiency, effectiveness, etc are different points.

Dunno if you could argue that trading for Conroy is not the most effective way to work towards a championship?

Kool Keef
02-03-2007, 07:39 PM
You could highlight the Flames other needs and suggest that because of Conroy's cap hit/acquisition cost that Sutter will not be able to fix these problems. Perhaps that second round pick (it was a second, right?) and extra cap space could have been better spent on another quality defenseman or a defensive foward. The Flames could really use a couple gritty wingers to fill out the third and fourth lines IMO.

Conroy is a bit redundant on a team that has two very capable scoring centers in Lombardi and Langkow.

I personally like the trade however.

icarus
02-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Values and negative implications? WDF. Sounds like typical formulaic essay writing garbage they teach you in school.

Superfraggle
02-04-2007, 03:12 AM
Values and negative implications? WDF. Sounds like typical formulaic essay writing garbage they teach you in school.

well he DID say it was for school. :p. On a more serious note, though, you're right...it's crap. But at least its easy crap. Follow the prescribed steps and you're guaranteed a good mark.

The flip side of the argument is that it might be more important to get the fundamental writing skills down early so that later you can branch out and be more creative in a more lucid fashion. Having a set number of arguments to hit for either side is a bad formula if you want a good essay but, in high school, it does help teach you to look at all the various facets of a problem and make an argument. Without strong guidelines, it's tough to focus on where specifically they've gone wrong when they're just learning these writing skills.

I'd be ****ed if any university prof tried to pull that on one of my courses but, in high school, it might be useful. Wait a minute...I DO have a university prof pulling that crap this year. I'm taking a comparative literature course in which 20% of my mark is coming from an "essay writing test", which is not based on writing an essay, but on being able to do things like create an argument following the basic steps laid out in the Longman Practical Stylist. Sure that stuff's useful to learn, but it's 20% of my mark in a COMPARATIVE LITERATURE course which has nothing to do with the LITERATURE we're studying (and doing very little in the way of comparisons while we're at it). I'm going to graduate with an English degree in three months. Why can't we just COMPARE LITERATURE in my COMPARATIVE LITERATURE course??!!! And why not start in 1650 like the course description says rather than jumping straight to the 19th century, rendering an entire textbook completely pointless...only I had to buy it because they came in a 3-pack, not seperately. AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! (/rant)

hmmmm...how's that for a disjointed post? I think I'll go to bed now...

icarus
02-04-2007, 03:52 AM
well he DID say it was for school. :p. On a more serious note, though, you're right...it's crap. But at least its easy crap. Follow the prescribed steps and you're guaranteed a good mark.

The flip side of the argument is that it might be more important to get the fundamental writing skills down early so that later you can branch out and be more creative in a more lucid fashion. Having a set number of arguments to hit for either side is a bad formula if you want a good essay but, in high school, it does help teach you to look at all the various facets of a problem and make an argument. Without strong guidelines, it's tough to focus on where specifically they've gone wrong when they're just learning these writing skills.
I have no problem with discussing both sides of the coin in an essay. But having to pigeon hole things into neat little boxes called 'values' and 'negative implications' does not reflect the nuances of various topics. I mean, he is talking about a hockey trade, not about abortion or stem cell research. There aren't a whole lot of values involved in a game. It's like saying 'dicuss the values of upgrading to Windows Vista'. You don't have to reach deep into your psyche or moral upbringing to justify that kind of thing.

I'd be ****ed if any university prof tried to pull that on one of my courses but, in high school, it might be useful. Wait a minute...I DO have a university prof pulling that crap this year. I'm taking a comparative literature course in which 20% of my mark is coming from an "essay writing test", which is not based on writing an essay, but on being able to do things like create an argument following the basic steps laid out in the Longman Practical Stylist. Sure that stuff's useful to learn, but it's 20% of my mark in a COMPARATIVE LITERATURE course which has nothing to do with the LITERATURE we're studying (and doing very little in the way of comparisons while we're at it). I'm going to graduate with an English degree in three months. Why can't we just COMPARE LITERATURE in my COMPARATIVE LITERATURE course??!!! And why not start in 1650 like the course description says rather than jumping straight to the 19th century, rendering an entire textbook completely pointless...only I had to buy it because they came in a 3-pack, not seperately. AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! (/rant)
What course is that and who is it with?

thatguy
02-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Do your own homework? The point is to tickle your brain, so tickle it. haha

Superfraggle
02-04-2007, 12:45 PM
I have no problem with discussing both sides of the coin in an essay. But having to pigeon hole things into neat little boxes called 'values' and 'negative implications' does not reflect the nuances of various topics. I mean, he is talking about a hockey trade, not about abortion or stem cell research. There aren't a whole lot of values involved in a game. It's like saying 'dicuss the values of upgrading to Windows Vista'. You don't have to reach deep into your psyche or moral upbringing to justify that kind of thing.

What course is that and who is it with?

COLT 203 - Dr. H.J. Westra

It's brutal...instead of sticking to the works in the textbooks, half the stuff we've covered is handed out at the start of class. We get 3-4 pages of handouts/class. At least textbooks will get used/kept/traded/sold/etc. Looseleaf sheets are just a huge waste.