PDA

View Full Version : Idot Drivers (I think he means Idiot)

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Well....for the second time in two days....the entire city comes to a crawl because a few idiots cannot drive in winter conditions. Not to mention my biggest **** off is when all the main roads are jammed with cars....some people merging into the main artery think they can drive right to the front of the merge lane and then bud in 1/4 of a mile down the merge lane.....if you don't let them in they get ****ed off and think they have a right since they have there signal on.....yet most people merge properly getting in line in an open space.....not flying to the front and then ramming their car into the main lane.....learn how to merge people.....if any of you do this....STOP IT.

rubecube
02-02-2007, 09:35 AM
What's an Idot? :w00t:

Sorry, someone had to do it.

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm ######ed.

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Can a mod please change the spelling of the thread before the entire CP community see's how much of an idiot I am.

Looger
02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
i think an old roomate of mine had it figured out.

he's from a town of <2000 people, like many calgarians, and would commute from the very east side of the city to downtown every day.

he figured out over the years to leave at a certain time before the traffic got real bad on highway #1, and through careful study and contemplation his theory is that when weather's bad, people ALL try to get to work earlier and thus rush hour shrinks from 7:00->8:30 to 6:45->7:45 or something - can't quite remember.

so the same number of commuters are on the roads for a smaller amount of time, thus jamming them up. tailgating, accidents, tempers, etc. all get worse, conditions of course exacerbating things.

interesting theory.

according to him, if everyone simply left at the same time and didn't try to 'beat the traffic because today's going to be bad on the roads' that most of this insanity would go away.

perhaps he's onto something.

rubecube
02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Anyways I agree. People in this city cannot merge or yield to save their lives.

Frank the Tank
02-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Can a mod please change the spelling of the thread before the entire CP community see's how much of an idot I am.

Fixed it for ya!:D

Bobblehead
02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Well Jolinar, you could just change your post to a rant about the Idaho Department Of Transportation.

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 09:43 AM

I see that....thanks a lot.....

Frank the Tank
02-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Well Jolinar, you could just change your post to a rant about the Idaho Department Of Transportation.

Hahahaa!! Awesome! Sorry Jolinar, we just can't let this one sneak by.....

fredr123
02-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Not to mention my biggest **** off is when when all the main roads are jammed with cars....some people merging into the main artery think they can drive right to the front of the merge lane and then bud in 1/4 of a mile down the merge lane.....if you don't let them in they get ****ed off and think they have a right since they have there signal on.
This kind of thing angers me to no end. I've found myself retaliating by almost initiating an accident rather than let that ******* into my lane. It worked a lot better when I drove a crappy car.

It happens a lot when one lane on the road is shut down for construction or something. The City gives plenty of warning with signs for a few km before the lane ends. People move over into one of the other lanes that remain open and they, naturally, get a bit backed up. It never fails but some idot or idots will always race down the soon-to-be closed lane past this giant lineup of cars and then do their best to butt in at the front of the line. ****es. Me. Off.

TheyCallMeBruce
02-02-2007, 09:47 AM
It's like a Ipod...only Idot

Maritime Q-Scout
02-02-2007, 09:56 AM
ugh, last December we had the first snowfall of the year. It took my roomate to drive from downtown Halifax to our apartment 4 hours and 17 minutes... generally it's about 17 minutes (no traffic, about 25-30 at rush hour).

For those framiliar with Halifax, it took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to get from one end of Kempt Road to the other. People were skidding, coming to a stop then saying "**** it" leaving their car in the middle of the road and walking.

Like seriously who just abandons their car in the middle of the road, pull over, make some attempt, put your hazard lights on, or SOMETHING. Not like it was just one person, people were doing it all over the city.

Frankly, if you don't have winter tires on in December you should be taken out back and shot.

Well here's to there being clear roads this evening between Halifax and Sydney (making the trek this weekend as opposed to last).

edit: idot, isn't that Iqualit in Nunivut? Like Toronto being the T-Dot, Iqualit is the I-Dot yo!

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 09:58 AM
This kind of thing angers me to no end. I've found myself retaliating by almost initiating an accident rather than let that ******* into my lane. It worked a lot better when I drove a crappy car.

It happens a lot when one lane on the road is shut down for construction or something. The City gives plenty of warning with signs for a few km before the lane ends. People move over into one of the other lanes that remain open and they, naturally, get a bit backed up. It never fails but some idot or idots will always race down the soon-to-be closed lane past this giant lineup of cars and then do their best to butt in at the front of the line. ****es. Me. Off.

Some times I feel like driving half in one lane and half in the other....just to prevent those idiots from being idiots.

Bobblehead
02-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Some times I feel like driving half in one lane and half in the other....just to prevent those idiots from being idiots.

On occasion I'll signal and then just stay in the lane that's about to close but also stay right beside the car in the other lane.

I saw this a lot when I had to drive through TO regularly. If a lane was closed up ahead a couple of transports would get side by side and just stay there. It would prevent people from "jumping the line".

fanforever1986
02-02-2007, 10:33 AM
True Story: Yesterday I saw a cop come up behind me, put his lights on, go through a red light, then turn off his lights and turn into the tim hortons a block past the intersection.

I called 9-1-1 and reported a suspected stolen police car based on what I saw.

EDIT: I just realized that was wed. night...my bad.

rubecube
02-02-2007, 10:33 AM

LMAO!

Bobblehead
02-02-2007, 10:34 AM
True Story: Yesterday I saw a cop come up behind me, put his lights on, go through a red light, then turn off his lights and turn into the tim hortons a block past the intersection.

I've seen police do that here in Calgary, in TO, Hamilton, London...

kipperfan
02-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Dont even get me started on this topic. Fact of the matter is, like my father always told me, people are stupid. And that fact holds more and more validity every time I get into my truck.

Things that really **** me off on the road:

-Jolinar's is one that gets me as well.....and where I live in Mississauga is right of the QEW(main highway) so I have to use the road everyday and it is literally permanent rush hour. It is bumper tp bumper 12-13 hours everyday, and when the weather is bad it is a friggen parking lot. And with all this traffic, every fool and his brother get onto these on ramps and race like their in the Indy 500 down to the end of the merge lane...just so they can get in front of 10-12 cars. I wont allow it to happen anymore, I wait for them in my side mirror and just wait till they come up beside me at which point I speed up and get right on vehicle in front of mines bumper and even if the little turd just starts to move in.....i hold course....then smile at the prick as I drive by. A move I almost never saw in Calgary that is common out here is a car being in the right lane....waiting for a merge lane from an off ramp..at which point they switch lanes and race up...again maybe getting ahead of 10 cars before they cut off someone to get back into the same dam lane.

-How about those peoples exact opposites....the "merge lane stopper". This ****es me off just as much as the above...people are just two dim witted or maybe just too scared to get up to speed in the merge lane and find a place to make a lane change...so they stop with their signal on in the merge lane!!! Dear god people...almost every road that has a merge has a fairly high speed limit...thus the concept of the merge lane allowing cars to get up to speed and make a seamless transition into the regular flow of traffic. Using what sideways, lame brained logic is it a good idea to just stop in the merge lane?

-People that wont use their signal lights. Again....just shows what society has come to when people cant expend the effort of flicking a shift chanage lever.....I really hate it when I am waiting to turn left, see a car coming....no signal so I wait, he ends up turning right and I am stuck waiting for another opening for 5 minutes because some guy couldnt use his signal lights.

-People turning left on red light. I have noticed this to be a MUCH bigger problem here in TO then in Calgary...or frankly anywhere else that I have ever driven in or to. It is amazing....one car will be in the intersection waiting to turn....another also in the intersection behind him, which of course is illegal to begin with. Then the light turns yellow and the first car goes...fine, second car goes....illegal, but so common now I can let that pass, third car goes....now this is just dumb, 4th car goes......this guy should be arrested. I am being dead seroius, I see the above situation transpire everyday...I have even see 5 cars go after the yellow a couple of times. Again just a stupid, lazy thing to do...instead of waiting people decide to go straight though a red light and risk an accident.

-Last but certainly not least....the little punk kids(and some others) that think it is a good idea to get right up on my a** and tailgate me all the way down some road. To make it even worse this is happening in the right lane, and I am always going 5+km over the speed limit so these little punks cant expect to have me go faster. It makes me so angry...what do they think tailgating me is going to do for them? Make me scared of them? Yeah I would love to see how tough these little punks are outside their vehicles. So what are they trying to do then...I dont get it...but what I do get is a real big kick everytime this happens as I first give em a little break tap...then if they continue to stay on me...I SLAM on the brakes.

Reggie Dunlop
02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
I-Dot.

Isn't that Islington, Ontario?

Jagger
02-02-2007, 10:42 AM

My wife and I are always joking when we see a cop car roar past us with the lights on that they're late for a meeting at Timmies. I didn't realise that there might have been some truth to that! :eek: Unbelievable.

ken0042
02-02-2007, 10:46 AM

At least it wasn't as bad as when Calgary lent Winnipeg HAWCS for a week to try it out. This was shortly after we had gotten it- they were flying around one night and decided at about 4:00 am to go hit up a Robin's Dounts. The landed in a school field beside to "park." I guess it resulted in so many calls to the police to ask what was going on at the school that a police helicopter was there, that the officers found themselves in a bit of trouble. :D

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Did you really call 911?

Draug
02-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Well....for the second time in two days....the entire city comes to a crawl because a few idiots cannot drive in winter conditions. Not to mention my biggest **** off is when when all the main roads are jammed with cars....some people merging into the main artery think they can drive right to the front of the merge lane and then bud in 1/4 of a mile down the merge lane.....

I hear you!

But, I think part of the problem is the current snow removal policies were are dealing with. I've been winter driving in Calgary for over 15 years, and I can see it getting worse each and every year. This year, and last, even on major arteries, snow doesnt get removed. Thus, not only are the roads horrible while it is snowing, they stay in snowy and black ice conditions for days. Yesterday evening, a full day after snowfall, there was still piles of snow between the lanes on Crowchild. Snow gets dragged into traffic lines and forms black ice as everyone drives over it.

Speaking of merging, have you been to a Flames game lately? In all those gravel lots (that used to be great places to park while they were residential lots) there is usually only one or two exits. Every car races up to the gate, in no line of form whatsoever (think of sand through an hour glass) and then people dont even take proper turns. It took me 35 minutes last game to get from the parking spot to Macleod Trail North. I was so angry. It definitely took all the fun out of being at the game.

Also, relating to merging.... I cant stand the people that merge onto a major road at a speed way less than the speed limit. You HAVE to merge into a flowing road at the rate of traffic! A good way to die is to merge onto Deerfoot at half the speed. Then, undoubtedly, the impatient person behind the slow merger, quickly darts out across two or three lanes of traffic causing instant slowdowns. That, in turn, turns into grid lock and a 1 hour commute home....

fanforever1986
02-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Did you really call 911?

Ya, I was beyond livid. Cocky cops are the worst...I couldn't let it go.

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 10:55 AM
I hear you!
Speaking of merging, have you been to a Flames game lately? In all those gravel lots (that used to be great places to park while they were residential lots) there is usually only one or two exits. Every car races up to the gate, in no line of form whatsoever (think of sand through an hour glass) and then people dont even take proper turns. It took me 35 minutes last game to get from the parking spot to Macleod Trail North. I was so angry. It definitely took all the fun out of being at the game.

They should make it mandatory to have someone at these parking lots directing traffic because it is obvious that people cannot direct themselves.

I have been to some events...(not at the dome) where they have parking like this...with no direct. My biggested disbelief is when people triple park and prevent others from leaving because they have no way to get out of the fricken lot. I have had this happen to me once...but have seen it happen to others many times. I wish I had a tank because I would drive right over those idot's vehicles.

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Ya, I was beyond livid. Cocky cops are the worst...I couldn't let it go.

I would be to.

What did the operator say? You should lodge a formal complaint....that kind of **** makes all law enforcment look bad.

PowerPlayoffs06
02-02-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't know if there's anything to this, but over all my years of commuting to work in the Foothills I noticed that a good portion of the prick drivers drive Chevys.

People in Outbacks are usually also horrible drivers.

Jayems
02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
In response to Kipperfan:

The problem with going through the red light is probably worst in the city at the intersection of 16th ave and Stony Trail NW in Calgary. People coming from out of town will get stuck at the lights wanting to turn left (north) on Stony. So when the light goes green, there is usually a large number of cars now waiting. Without fail, at least 6-7 cars will rush through the redlight to get over. So i've made a habit of as soon as my light turns green, I just go. I'll get really close to those running the light, then blind them with my highbeams. ****. It drives me crackers. Just one of about 1000 things that Calgary drivers do that is beyond reason.

I absolutely hate Calgary drivers.

kipperfan
02-02-2007, 11:26 AM

The problem with going through the red light is probably worst in the city at the intersection of 16th ave and Stony Trail NW in Calgary. People coming from out of town will get stuck at the lights wanting to turn left (north) on Stony. So when the light goes green, there is usually a large number of cars now waiting. Without fail, at least 6-7 cars will rush through the redlight to get over. So i've made a habit of as soon as my light turns green, I just go. I'll get really close to those running the light, then blind them with my highbeams. ****. It drives me crackers. Just one of about 1000 things that Calgary drivers do that is beyond reason.

Thats funny you bring up that intersection...I used to sit at that light every day on the way home from work when I lived in Calgary(Valley Ridge). That was the worst thing about living in that community...having to go through that interection if I wanted to go anywhere in Calgary. Makes it worse that when I was going Westbound I was going home after 8+ hours at work and those 6-7 cars you mention ****ed me off even more!

fanforever1986
02-02-2007, 11:31 AM

Yup...It's by far the worst I've seen. I work at COP last summer and drove from Silver Springs everyday. The people coming into the city and turning north on stoney trial don't even pay attention to the light. same with the ones comes south on stoney and turning east onto 16th. It also doesn't help that the overpass construction at the intersection is going slower than it would if it was being built in saskatoon...

TurnedTheCorner
02-02-2007, 12:36 PM
We're such a fortunate community to have such a disproportionate number of good drivers in a city full of idots. ;)

I used to get angry much more often behind the wheel - and I'm no saint, I still have my bad days. But everyone's entitled to their bad days, so I don't let this stuff worry me anymore. Me ranting and raving about it will do nothing to change anyone's driving, and I'd rather just work with the drivers around me to make sure we all get to where we're going...eventually.

Cube Inmate
02-02-2007, 12:48 PM

On one level, this complaint has merit. If someone changes *into* a lane that they know is going to be closed, just to get ahead by a few car lengths, that's ridiculous. I see that happen frequently.

On the other hand, I don't see anything wrong with using the entire lane that's available to you before it closes. If everyone did this, and people simply alternated right-of-way when the lane disappeared, you'd have all of the lanes functioning about the same.

The simple fact is that some people like the comfort of being in the "correct" lane, and move more slowly for it. Others are willing to suffer the butt-in-at-the-end-of-the-lane stress, and move a little more quickly. On average, though, the same number of vehicles get through. If a road is running at or above capacity, there's NO WAY that you can fit 3 lanes of traffic into 2 lanes without a large bottleneck. No amount of courtesy and patience will allow the whole system to move any faster than it does, on average.

KTown
02-02-2007, 12:50 PM
I GOT TWO WORDS TO SOLVE ALL THIS.

RING ROAD!!!!!!!!!

This Hwy can't get here fast enought

ernie
02-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Merging isn't the sole responsibility of the person on the entrance ramp. People on the main road are supposed to make room for people that are merging.

In Calgary people don't know how to do either.

4X4
02-02-2007, 01:10 PM
We're such a fortunate community to have such a disproportionate number of good drivers in a city full of idots. ;)

I used to get angry much more often behind the wheel - and I'm no saint, I still have my bad days. But everyone's entitled to their bad days, so I don't let this stuff worry me anymore. Me ranting and raving about it will do nothing to change anyone's driving, and I'd rather just work with the drivers around me to make sure we all get to where we're going...eventually.

I hear ya. A year of navigating Rome will cure anyone's road rage.

Now, Cube Inmate pretty much summed up what I was going to add to this convo. I'm one of the drive-to-the-end-of-the-lane people when it is bumper to bumper. Why the hell not? Use the lane while it's available.
The holier than thou crowd that figures that since they freaked out and stuck their nose in as soon as the line became dotted that I should have done the same can just keep on blowing their stack and having mild heart attacks when I go in front of them. That's their problem.
And to all the people that think they're punishing me by not letting me in are fooling themselves. I wait 2 maybe 3 cars before someone lets me in.

And for the record, I always reward the people that drive to the end of the lane by allowing 2 or 3 of them in.

:)

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I hear ya. A year of navigating Rome will cure anyone's road rage.

Now, Cube Inmate pretty much summed up what I was going to add to this convo. I'm one of the drive-to-the-end-of-the-lane people when it is bumper to bumper. Why the hell not? Use the lane while it's available.

Because it DOES slow down traffic. Instead of forcing someone in the main lane to stop and let you in....You should be driving along the line of traffic and enter at one of the spots along the way as traffic is moving....this will prevent cars from having to stop and let people in....it will allow the traffic to flow continually.

THAT IS WHY THE HELL NOT

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 01:33 PM
And yes....the rest of the traffic has a responsibility to create room to allow the merging traffic in.....when done properly.

jolinar of malkshor
02-02-2007, 01:34 PM
And for the record, I always reward the people that drive to the end of the lane by allowing 2 or 3 of them in.

Well. That certainly speeds up traffic. Stopping in the main highway for a few seconds to allow a few idiots who do not want to drive properly onto the highway.\

Way to go.

kipperfan
02-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Merging isn't the sole responsibility of the person on the entrance ramp. People on the main road are supposed to make room for people that are merging.

Very true....but thats no excuse for stopping, or even slowing in the merge lane. All the years I have been driving I have never had to stop in a merge lane.

Cube Inmate
02-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Because it DOES slow down traffic. Instead of forcing someone in the main lane to stop and let you in....You should be driving along the line of traffic and enter at one of the spots along the way as traffic is moving....this will prevent cars from having to stop and let people in....it will allow the traffic to flow continually.

THAT IS WHY THE HELL NOT

It is a bottleneck. Traffic is not moving anyhow, and there is NEVER sufficient space in the through lane to merge. Someone in the through lane always has to create space to let other people in. While I'm of the belief that "traffic engineering" is black magic at best, there is a fundamental capacity to every road, which cannot simply be increased by dreaming of sunshine and lollipops.

You can argue that people travelling in the "lane ends" lane DO slow down the trip for the people in the through lane. On average, though, trip time through a bottleneck is unchanged.

4X4
02-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks Cube. I think Joliner needs to re-read my post.

Dion
02-02-2007, 02:11 PM

Calgary drivers as a rule won't let other drivers merge in. Countless times i've tried to merge with the other driver speeding up to close the gap. I merge in regardless with the idiot honking his horn and giving me the finger.

fredr123
02-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks Cube. I think Joliner needs to re-read my post.
I don't have a problem with people who are already in the soon-to-be closing lane and merge smoothly into the remaining lanes. That's what you're supposed to do. What annoys me when someone will go from one of the slow but non-ending lanes and pop into the ending lane just to zip ahead of a dozen or so cars and then expect others to let him back in line. You can wait like everyone else.

If everyone merges out of the ending lane into the other lanes well in advance then things would run smoothly too. Indeed the number of cars travelling on the road might exceed the capacity for the remaining lanes in this situation. It's gonna happen whether you merge early or be a dick about it. At least if everyone merges early, no one needs to come to a complete halt or wait before progressing in order to let an impatient driver into their lane.

It's a bit of a dilemma though. If everyone follows the non-4x4 system things will progress fine. If even a few drivers start driving like 4x4 then there's no benefit to being nice and merging early. Might as well be a free for all.

Cube Inmate
02-02-2007, 03:25 PM
If everyone merges out of the ending lane into the other lanes well in advance then things would run smoothly too. Indeed the number of cars travelling on the road might exceed the capacity for the remaining lanes in this situation. It's gonna happen whether you merge early or be a dick about it. At least if everyone merges early, no one needs to come to a complete halt or wait before progressing in order to let an impatient driver into their lane.

This (bold) is your utopian misconception. When a roadway's capacity is reduced below demand, it doesn't just slow down...it stops somewhere and/or the congestion backs up. In Utopia, a capacity reduction would require everyone approaching the congestion to slow down, with the slowdown extending farther and farther backwards unless demand decreases. In reality, the people approaching congestion don't know about it until they've hit it, so the required slowdown doesn't happen...traffic just piles up.

It's like drinking through a straw. You can only suck so hard before the straw collapses. Within that limit, it doesn't matter whether you're drinking out of a tall & skinny glass or a short & wide one...it takes the same amount of time to drink the stuff.

More courteous drivers could yield a more even distribution of wait times in a congested location, but the average wait time cannot be changed. Even if drivers slowed down and increased space far in advance of a congested area, the result is the same. Instead of a 1 km-long stop-and-go traffic jam moving at an average of 5 km/h, we could have a 3 km-long traffic jam moving continuously at an average of 15 km/h. Regardless, the end result is the same.

worth
02-02-2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.dannemann.org.uk/images/morans.jpg

Looger
02-02-2007, 03:44 PM
haha i love that movie

EDIT: oops that's not from a movie, i think that's from a website.

fredr123
02-02-2007, 04:12 PM
This (bold) is your utopian misconception. When a roadway's capacity is reduced below demand, it doesn't just slow down...it stops somewhere and/or the congestion backs up. In Utopia, a capacity reduction would require everyone approaching the congestion to slow down, with the slowdown extending farther and farther backwards unless demand decreases. In reality, the people approaching congestion don't know about it until they've hit it, so the required slowdown doesn't happen...traffic just piles up.

It's like drinking through a straw. You can only suck so hard before the straw collapses. Within that limit, it doesn't matter whether you're drinking out of a tall & skinny glass or a short & wide one...it takes the same amount of time to drink the stuff.

More courteous drivers could yield a more even distribution of wait times in a congested location, but the average wait time cannot be changed. Even if drivers slowed down and increased space far in advance of a congested area, the result is the same. Instead of a 1 km-long stop-and-go traffic jam moving at an average of 5 km/h, we could have a 3 km-long traffic jam moving continuously at an average of 15 km/h. Regardless, the end result is the same.
Seems like you know a lot more about this stuff than I do. But that straw analogy doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not mad that the straw's collapsing. I'm upset that some blueberries in my milk shake seem to think they need to go through the straw ahead of the raspberries and banana chunks.

4X4
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I just love the roman way of driving. Everyone pulls up as far as they can and then just starts poking their nose in. Nobody gets mad, everyone gets to where they're going. If one car pokes his nose in front of mine, he gets in and then I go. There's no chance for another car to do it because of the angle of the guy's car. It really does work quite well. That's what I do, and convincing me that it's uncourteous or anything like that is just going to be impossible. It's purely logical IMO.
This is for bumper to bumper traffic.

Philly06Cup
02-02-2007, 04:34 PM
It's called Weaving. When there is a bottleneck, ideally, both the straight lane and then ending lane should have an equal amount of cars, and at the point of bottleneckage, cars alternate, i.e. , weave into the proper lane. This is the fairest way to determine traffic, and keeps traffic moving.

But, instead, the majority of drivers choose to wait in the longer straight lane, and then get angry when someone cuts in front of them. That's their problem for waiting in the slower lane, though. Drivers just need to learn how to weave.

4X4
02-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Philly06 is right on the money.

fredr123
02-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Philly06 is right on the money.
Philly06 is probably the guy Jolinar fingered this morning ;)

kipperfan
02-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Calgary drivers as a rule won't let other drivers merge in. Countless times i've tried to merge with the other driver speeding up to close the gap. I merge in regardless with the idiot honking his horn and giving me the finger.

Dont come to TO then. To be 100% honest TO is MUCH worse then Calgary...come drive here for 6 months and go back to Calgary...everyone seems like your best friend!

kipperfan
02-02-2007, 06:03 PM
It's called Weaving. When there is a bottleneck, ideally, both the straight lane and then ending lane should have an equal amount of cars, and at the point of bottleneckage, cars alternate, i.e. , weave into the proper lane. This is the fairest way to determine traffic, and keeps traffic moving.

But, instead, the majority of drivers choose to wait in the longer straight lane, and then get angry when someone cuts in front of them. That's their problem for waiting in the slower lane, though. Drivers just need to learn how to weave.

Ohh yeah that would work. :rolleyes:

Sure its fine when 5-10% of the cars on a busy road are weaving...there is room for that. Imagine a packed rush hour on Deerfoot and EVERY CAR on the foot is weaving in and out of lanes.....can you say 400 car pileup?

MonsieurFish
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM

lawl good one, i laughed

maverickeastwood
02-02-2007, 07:48 PM
How about this...it's snows, it's slippery. we all have walked and slipped on ice and we weigh nothing compared to the rolling iron masses that we love so much. It hurts when that happens. Yet, people continue to try and defy the laws of physics (mass/coeefficient of friction) and drive like it's summertime. I stay off the deerfoot if at all possible

maverickeastwood
02-02-2007, 07:51 PM

And at times, I can still catch you...and I'm in the slow lane. Traffic lights, ahh:D

algernon
02-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I hear you!

Also, relating to merging.... I cant stand the people that merge onto a major road at a speed way less than the speed limit. You HAVE to merge into a flowing road at the rate of traffic! A good way to die is to merge onto Deerfoot at half the speed. Then, undoubtedly, the impatient person behind the slow merger, quickly darts out across two or three lanes of traffic causing instant slowdowns. That, in turn, turns into grid lock and a 1 hour commute home....

I completely agree. That and the rubbernecking at the oncoming lane's slowdown/ stoll / accident/ whatever.

what about
A 8-9' high meridian visual barrier starting at the calf robe bridge +/-100m each way? Possibly other places where people get distracted easily by oncoming goings on?

I have travelled that stretch at least 200 times in the last couple of years during rush hour, and think the majority of the delays are related to the oncomming lane's issues. Flashing lights, a wreck, etc,etc. If we had a way to seperate the collective attention spans, things would move swifter.

I totally understand the instinct to slow down when seeing emergency vehicles. It's the LAW to slow down to 60km when you are in the adjacent lane, approaching emergency vehicles. What's happening in the other lane just doesn't matter.

It's about flow, people.

Antithesis
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
4x4, I can't help but think that your "I stop to let in 3 people who have gone to the end of the lane in" is just a bit of chest thumping because that really is a ridiculous statement for someone advocating using an entire lane to improve traffic flow ... for me (and I'm sure you care about that a whole lot ;)) it takes what might be an arguable point and makes you seem like a jerk.

At any rate, I think a lot of people take this type of driving as some kind of personal affront ... that the person doing this figurs their time is more important than the others'. Whether that's true or not, I dunno, but that probably is the case. The one that really, really gets to me is the one that's been posted several times already, where people are in the "proper" lane and move out in to the closing lane to get ahead by a bit.

At any rate, some drivers in Calgary do indeed need to remember adage, if you're so important (like so many of the jerks seem to think they are) the people you are rushing to see will wait for you.

I-Hate-Hulse
02-05-2007, 09:50 AM
I've been watching Ewan McGregor's documentary (Long Way Round) about riding around the world on Enduro Bikes, and it was interesting to note that Alberta was where he had the most problems with drivers and his own physical safety.

I've always just attributed our state of traffic to people reminiscing about what it was like in the good old days of pop. 600,000 but after seeing someone survive all of Europe and Siberia, only to get into an accident with some young punk in Alberta raised an eyebrow....

TurnedTheCorner
02-05-2007, 10:05 AM
But bikers on the road is a whole 'nother matter. Cyclists are our natural enemies, and as drivers we must eliminate them. ;)

Bobblehead
02-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Dont come to TO then. To be 100% honest TO is MUCH worse then Calgary...come drive here for 6 months and go back to Calgary...everyone seems like your best friend!

I've driven in both.
When I first moved to Calgary I was shocked when I would let someone merge in in front of me and they would wave (!).
In the last couple of years Calgary has become worse than TO. There is still the occasional wave, but that is now the rare exception instead of the rule. The total amount of traffic in Calgary isn't quite as bad as TO, but Toronto drivers have come to expect traffic and just don't get their nose out of joint (as often).

jolinar of malkshor
04-07-2007, 09:15 AM
OK....I have been in Quebec for the last two months and I have to say the drivers there have to be the worst in Canada. These drivers have no respect for any other person on the road...including pedestrians. I was sitting in a pub on St. Catherines watching out the window.....a police car drove through the intersection (with his lights on) but hit a taxi cab. (wasn't very serious but it pushed the cab over a few feet.) Any how, the police car just drove off like nothing happened. People don't stop at stop lights, don't signal, speed excessively. Also, the pedestrians just walk out on the road when ever and where ever. I have to say that Calgary drivers are ten times better than the ones out east.

On a more positive note. I have really enjoyed checking out Canada's history. Quebec is a beautiful province and for the most part the people are very friendly.

llama64
04-07-2007, 10:46 AM
The thing that's been getting to me are the people who have no idea how to use a signal light. It's a matter of forethought, something the vast majority of other people seem to have no ability to do.

Whenever I want to change lanes/turn, I put the signal light on a good 10-15 seconds prior to completing the maneuver. I do this so that the people I'm going to be affecting know what is going on. They have been, you know, "signaled" :confused:.

Most other people seem to only signal at the exact instant they are completing their turn. In that case, what was the point in even putting on the flashy light?

If people would just think 2-3 cars ahead of them, most accidents wouldn't happen. But I think I'm asking too much of the average driver.

Vulcan
04-07-2007, 11:38 AM
The thing that's been getting to me are the people who have no idea how to use a signal light. It's a matter of forethought, something the vast majority of other people seem to have no ability to do.

Whenever I want to change lanes/turn, I put the signal light on a good 10-15 seconds prior to completing the maneuver. I do this so that the people I'm going to be affecting know what is going on. They have been, you know, "signaled" :confused:.

Most other people seem to only signal at the exact instant they are completing their turn. In that case, what was the point in even putting on the flashy light?

If people would just think 2-3 cars ahead of them, most accidents wouldn't happen. But I think I'm asking too much of the average driver.

OK, I believe in using my turn signals but for the last few years I was in Calgary using my signal for lane changing was only signaling those around to speed up or slow down so that the gap that was there was no longer. I'd be boxed in, manners and any semblance of the idea that we are in this together are gone and it's dog eat dog. Shame.

Winsor_Pilates
04-07-2007, 04:28 PM
OK, I believe in using my turn signals but for the last few years I was in Calgary using my signal for lane changing was only signaling those around to speed up or slow down so that the gap that was there was no longer. I'd be boxed in, manners and any semblance of the idea that we are in this together are gone and it's dog eat dog. Shame.
###

I had this problem this morning and have it all the time.
There was plenty of space, and when I signaled to change lanes 3 cars made sure they weren't gonna let me in. I ended up just cutting the last one off as they sped up, and got an evil glare from the old couple who I had to flip the bird.

As soon as I signal to chane lanes, that entire lane speeds up to fill the gaps and prevent me. Signaling late and catching them off guard seems to be the only way to change lanes these days.

I would love to signal earlier, but the sad reality is that drivers in the city have no courtesy and use your signals against you.

and then right before I get home, this bozo runs the 3-way stop without even slowing down a touch.

This arrogance of people in the city is rubbing off on the driving, and my middle finger is almost perminently outstretched.

llama64
04-07-2007, 06:30 PM
###

I had this problem this morning and have it all the time.
There was plenty of space, and when I signaled to change lanes 3 cars made sure they weren't gonna let me in. I ended up just cutting the last one off as they sped up, and got an evil glare from the old couple who I had to flip the bird.

As soon as I signal to chane lanes, that entire lane speeds up to fill the gaps and prevent me. Signaling late and catching them off guard seems to be the only way to change lanes these days.

I would love to signal earlier, but the sad reality is that drivers in the city have no courtesy and use your signals against you.

and then right before I get home, this bozo runs the 3-way stop without even slowing down a touch.

This arrogance of people in the city is rubbing off on the driving, and my middle finger is almost perminently outstretched.

I very rarely have this problem, to be honest. Thought I know exactly what you mean. Basically, I'll signal well ahead and begin moving into the lane. I have no problem cutting those people off, and their angry stares only enhance my happiness.

What urks me are the people who do the random traffic weaving, jerking from lane to lane with little warning and no signal. That is how accidents occur. If people are informed about what is going on, the chances of an accident are reduced greatly. And that makes me argue for people to stop being childish on the road and actually use their signal lights properly.

Antithesis
04-08-2007, 10:22 AM
What urks me are the people who do the random traffic weaving, jerking from lane to lane with little warning and no signal. That is how accidents occur. If people are informed about what is going on, the chances of an accident are reduced greatly. And that makes me argue for people to stop being childish on the road and actually use their signal lights properly.

There is little I love more (in a traffic sense) than seeing those people go by me, weaving in and out of traffic like they're so smart, and then pulling up beside or infront of them at the same red light. Sometimes if I'm feeling extra-cheeky, I'll even turn, smile, and wave at them.

eazyduzzit
04-08-2007, 02:10 PM
I was on D.F trail the other day around 7:30am and traffic was slowing down in my lane and some idiot thought he needed to go a little faster and darted out into the right lane (right lane was moving a lot faster than the middle) and he spun out because he turned too quick to get over and he was lucky nobody from behind hit him because he was going a good 15km slower.

He basically almost caused a 5 car crash because he was too stupid to realize the road was slippy.

Cliche
04-08-2007, 02:33 PM
What the hell is it with people edging up in intersections? When I'm on a right hand turn being able to see clearly into the intersection would be great without some idiot looking over and edging their vehicle past the stop line into the crosswalk. Do people think I have x-ray vision? Are they wanting to show off their crappy 1983 Chevy silverado? Are they wanting to go green light to green light when the only alternative is to turn?

RougeUnderoos
04-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Crotchrockets and of the people that drive them.* Anyone buying a "sports bike" should also have to take a rudimentary physics course. A lot of the drivers of these things don't seem to know that 700 pounds of motorcycle is going to come out on the losing (dead) end of a collision with even a small car.

Some jackass was weaving his way down a busy Deerfoot today doing at least 170. At least he won't burden the health care system when he gets in a wreck, but it won't be nice for the people who have to witness his death.

*no, not all of them. But there does seem to be a disproportionate number of dummies driving them