PDA

View Full Version : Private Recycling Service

I-Hate-Hulse
02-01-2007, 04:50 PM
I've had it with my current private recycling service, Calgary Community Recycling, as they've provided a lousy level of service (namely around pickup service). Anyone have any recommendations as to a good recycling service in Calgary?

Slava
02-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I have a great recycling guy. I think it depends on what part of the city that you are in though? I'll get his name and such and send it to you (we're in the SW).

I-Hate-Hulse
02-01-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm in Hillhurst -thanks!

On a side note - anyone worry that these private recycling companies aren't actually recycling my stuff but landfilling it? It's silly I know, but the cynic in me thinks this....

Barnes
02-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Doubt, they get money for recyclables. You gotta pay to dump.

FLAMESRULE
02-02-2007, 10:09 AM
I've used these guys for about 3-4 years. They are great. Same time every day (once a week, for us its Friday). I dont think they've ever missed us on the route and they always take some of the bigger stuff.

I also think they're pretty much everywhere in the city.

http://www.residentialrecycling.com/

Slava
02-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Turns out my guy is also community recycling...so I'm of no help to you! Sorry.

Flashpoint
02-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Cancel it. You'll be doing all of us a favor.

Recycling not only hurts the environment, it is also extremely wasteful, and based on a lie.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7734998370503499886&q=penn+and+teller+recycle

Mccree
02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
I've used these guys for about 3-4 years. They are great. Same time every day (once a week, for us its Friday). I dont think they've ever missed us on the route and they always take some of the bigger stuff.

I also think they're pretty much everywhere in the city.

http://www.residentialrecycling.com/

We use them as well. There was a few times that a truck broke down but they called and came on Saturday. Plus it is cheap. like $120/YEAR

MacDougalbry
02-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Check out the following from the website of one of these recycling companies:

Plastic - We found an overseas market where we can sell plastics. All the plastics we collect are stored at our location. We use a baler to compact all the plastics into a cube and ship it overseas to recycle.

It's getting baled and shipped overseas... Yikes! What do you really know about what happens to this stuff? About 10 years ago, there was a Vancouver recycling company that was caught shredding plastic bottles and burying them under gravel road beds.

I-Hate-Hulse
02-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Check out the following from the website of one of these recycling companies:

Plastic - We found an overseas market where we can sell plastics. All the plastics we collect are stored at our location. We use a baler to compact all the plastics into a cube and ship it overseas to recycle.

It's getting baled and shipped overseas... Yikes! What do you really know about what happens to this stuff? About 10 years ago, there was a Vancouver recycling company that was caught shredding plastic bottles and burying them under gravel road beds.

Yeah.... I read that earlier. Like Barnes pointed out, they get paid for recyclables vs having to pay dumping fees, but what about when the price of recycled material tanks to the point it's cheaper to dump (or in this case, hide). Man I wish the City would get their blue box program in order!

Thanks for that residential recycling number - I'm going to give CCR another chance (I mistakenly paid for a 6 month contract) but they keep sucking like they have (they have some draconian views on exceeding limits) I'll switch in a heartbeat.

RedHot25
02-02-2007, 12:44 PM
A question from a former Calgarian/current out of towner/will be a futuer Calgarian at some point: is/when the city doing recyclable pick up throughout the city?

We have it where I currently live. Its great. Put everything out once/week, on the same day every week....and they pick it up. Pretty much always the same time as well. We also have alternating garbage and compost weeks. Again just put the stuff on the curbside and they pick it up.

I-Hate-Hulse
02-02-2007, 12:56 PM
A question from a former Calgarian/current out of towner/will be a futuer Calgarian at some point: is/when the city doing recyclable pick up throughout the city?

C'mon - Calgary just got over putting Fluoride in the water, and is still hissy about taking smoke out of bars. The last I heard it was late 2008/2009 before we get a door to door service. Welcome to the 90's Calgary (or 70's for Fluoride) :rolleyes:

In the mean time you can take your recyclables to City depots which are rather plentifully scattered around the City. Except for plastics that is.

RedHot25
02-02-2007, 01:04 PM
C'mon - Calgary just got over putting Fluoride in the water, and is still hissy about taking smoke out of bars. The last I heard it was late 2008/2009 before we get a door to door service. Welcome to the 90's Calgary (or 70's for Fluoride) :rolleyes:

In the mean time you can take your recyclables to City depots which are rather plentifully scattered around the City. Except for plastics that is.

Yah, I know...I visit back to friends/family a bit in the city. I jsut thought that I heard that the city was actually going to implement it at one point in time?

Anyways, to each their own I guess...

Slava
02-02-2007, 01:37 PM
I think that the city was talking about doing this in the next few years. IIRC it is proposed to cost about $180/year per household onto the city taxes to implement this....I know that mine costs $88/year right now.

Slava
02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Cancel it. You'll be doing all of us a favor.

Recycling not only hurts the environment, it is also extremely wasteful, and based on a lie.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7734998370503499886&q=penn+and+teller+recycle

I just finished watching this and it is entertaining. For some reason I don't think that two magicians, only one of which speaks, is enough to make me stop recycling. Sure there are some interesting questions that they raise, but why can't Penn and Teller just make all of our trash disappear?