PDA

View Full Version : [5 year old bump] Does anybody remember O'Ryan's Potato Chips?

Hack&Lube
02-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Man, that stuff was good as gold but it seemed to disappear around 1995 after stupid Lays took over all the Hostess stuff.

The O'Ryan's Sour Cream and Onion was the best chip I've ever had. They were sliced incredibly thick and rippled and had an increible amount of seasoning due to the thickness of the chip and the ridges. So crunchy and so good.

Why did they stop making these??? I've craved them every day for over 10 years!

Looger
02-01-2007, 11:03 AM
those were good but no thunder crunch.

Mr. Ski
02-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Yep, I used to buy them all the time at school. $0.60 for 80g of tasty goodness!

Agamemnon
02-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Did they have Sour cream and Bacon too?
Yes they did, and THAT was the best chip/chip flavour of all time... came in a yellow bag if I recall.

JiriHrdina
02-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Oh man. Tundercrunch was soooo tasty. The Parmesenia or whatever it was called. Drooool

Looger
02-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Oh man. Tundercrunch was soooo tasty. The Parmesenia or whatever it was called. Drooool
no kidding - screw the electric car, i want a film made that explains where they went!

troutman
02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
In the 1970s, Hostess experimented with grape, and orange flavored potato chips. No lie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostess_Chips

Hostess is forever infamous for the brief and much-lamented mid-1970's introduction of Orange, Grape, and Cherry flavoured potato chips

Looger
02-01-2007, 11:33 AM
i remember hostess' pizza flavour in the early 80s.

might explain why there's an ancient little dresser in my folks' basement with judas priest and billy idol stickers!

those pizza chips SUCKED, but they had new flavours all the time.

looooob
02-01-2007, 11:34 AM
In the 1970s, Hostess experimented with grape, and orange flavored potato chips. No lie.

Hostess is forever infamous for the brief and much-lamented mid-1970's introduction of Orange, Grape, and Cherry flavoured potato chips
I'll remember Hostess for their essentially transparent chip bags where you can easily read whether you had won a 'free bag' of chips before buying it or not...one bag of chips would lead to 35 free bags of the same

Sidney Crosby's Hat
02-01-2007, 11:35 AM
I remember O'Ryans well. Their sour cream and onion was my second favourite chip behind Old Dutch Mexican Chili.

kipperfan
02-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Yep O'Ryan sour cream and onion were amazing....they used to sell them at the Dome. I remember that cleary as I used to get a bag every game.

RedHot25
02-01-2007, 11:44 AM
behind Old Dutch Mexican Chili.

Mmmm, now those were some good chips!

Stranger
02-01-2007, 11:45 AM
I remember O'Ryans well. Their sour cream and onion was my second favourite chip behind Old Dutch Mexican Chili.

Now I want some Mexican Chili Chips.

I was just going to mention Old Dutch Mexican Chili. Hands down still the best chips ever. I don't know what happened to them. One day they were here next day they're gone. They've got some out that are close to them but still not the same. We should start a letter writing campain to bring back these classic flavours.

JiriHrdina
02-01-2007, 11:47 AM
i remember hostess' pizza flavour in the early 80s.

might explain why there's an ancient little dresser in my folks' basement with judas priest and billy idol stickers!

those pizza chips SUCKED, but they had new flavours all the time.

Worst Hostess chip I ever had was "Cheeseburger".

Ew.

@theCBE
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Old Dutch Mexican Chili.

I dont' remember O'ryans but I sure has hell remember old dutch mexican chilli.. those were some amazing chips.

Saw someone eating some chips yesterday that were 'prawn cocktail' flavoured.. my stomach did a flip just reading the bag

North East Goon
02-01-2007, 11:53 AM
O'Ryans are packaged under the Ruffles label now. They have cut back on the Sour Creamy powder however.

Frank the Tank
02-01-2007, 12:12 PM
What about Miss Vickies? Do you guys have those out west? Damn those are some fine tater chips.

Reaper
02-01-2007, 12:15 PM
O'Ryans are packaged under the Ruffles label now. They have cut back on the Sour Creamy powder however.Incorrect. O'Ryans were the Hostess version of Ruffles which were unavailable in Canada at the time. When Frito Lay acquired Hostess there was no need to have a knock off of their own product so they simply discontinued O'Ryans as a brand and introduced Ruffles to the Canadian marketplace.

Burninator
02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Did they have Sour cream and Bacon too?

Worst. Flavour. Ever.

I acutally don't mind the Roast Chicken flavour chips.

Frank we have Miss Vickies out here. Sour Cream and Sweet chili FTW.

MolsonInBothHands
02-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I'll remember Hostess for their essentially transparent chip bags where you can easily read whether you had won a 'free bag' of chips before buying it or not...one bag of chips would lead to 35 free bags of the same

I must have eaten 100 bags of Ketchup chips that summer. Not having to pay for chips meant extra change to buy those Styrofoam Biplanes at the Red Rooster! Ahhh the good ol' days.

ken0042
02-01-2007, 12:39 PM

Those were the quasi-foil bags, right? We discovered that the Dill Pickle ones were easier to see through, and also had a disproportionate number of freebies. Even though it was our least favourite flavour, we would go through a tonne of them.

Good times!

Frank the Tank
02-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Worst. Flavour. Ever.

I acutally don't mind the Roast Chicken flavour chips.

Frank we have Miss Vickies out here. Sour Cream and Sweet chili FTW.

Ah cool. I never know and feel like a tool for asking, but its been like 7 years since I've been to Calgary.

Stranger
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I must have eaten 100 bags of Ketchup chips that summer. Not having to pay for chips meant extra change to buy those Styrofoam Biplanes at the Red Rooster! Ahhh the good ol' days.

I think I still have one of those styrofoam planes at my folks house. Used to love them as a kid.

mykalberta
02-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Ah yes, the Mexican Chili.

If there were 2 chips I wish we could have back it would be Mexican Chili and Oryans Sour Cream and Onion.

I call for a CP Jihad writing campaing, undalay undalay ariba ariba!

MYK

Looger
02-01-2007, 01:03 PM
thunder crunch mesquite

thunder crunch jalapeno

1.9L blue slurpy (cause everyone loves green feces!)

these three items saw me through college.

keratosis
02-01-2007, 01:16 PM
What about Miss Vickies? Do you guys have those out west? Damn those are some fine tater chips.
Yes we do. I have the Salt and Vinegar whenever I go to Quisno's.

HalifaxDrunk
02-01-2007, 01:27 PM

I liked those chips. :bag:

Has anyone tried the new Lay's Spicy Curry chips, kinda taste like roast chicken with a kick. I havn't tried the Wasibi yet.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
02-01-2007, 02:27 PM

I actually saw those when I was in L.A. in May. It said "Imported from Canada" on the bag.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
02-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Incorrect. O'Ryans were the Hostess version of Ruffles which were unavailable in Canada at the time. When Frito Lay acquired Hostess there was no need to have a knock off of their own product so they simply discontinued O'Ryans as a brand and introduced Ruffles to the Canadian marketplace.

Although the O'Ryans was a lot thicker cut than the current Ruffles. There were a few changes made, actually. Hostess Barbecue was way better than the current Lay's BBQ.

Agamemnon
02-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Although the O'Ryans was a lot thicker cut than the current Ruffles. There were a few changes made, actually. Hostess Barbecue was way better than the current Lay's BBQ.
Yes, O'Ryans were very thick... sort of like the Double Dutch chips that were out for a while, not sure if they're still out though...

JimmytheT
02-01-2007, 02:49 PM

Red Rooster! That long defunct convenience sotre deserves a thread of its own :D

GreenTeaFrapp
02-01-2007, 03:03 PM

I can remember trying them and exactly where I was when I did. That's how bad they were. Decades after I've tasted them, I can still remember how horrible they were. And I think I only had a couple before I gave the bag back to my parents.

I can't remember if I had the grape and my sister had the orange or vice versa but regardless, they were the worst chips ever.

GreenTeaFrapp
02-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Has anyone tried the new Lay's Spicy Curry chips, kinda taste like roast chicken with a kick. I havn't tried the Wasibi yet.

Nope, but I tried the new Doritos Tandoori Sizzler and they're pretty addictive!

SpitFire40
02-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Speaking of Potato Chips... why are there no more Brown ones when you buy a bag?? I want a bag of all Brown chips. They taste so much better...

Think I could go to the Old Dutch factory in the NE with a garbage bag and they'll load me up with the "Delicious Defectives?"

looooob
02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Red Rooster! That long defunct convenience sotre deserves a thread of its own :DI've got a set of red rooster stampeder cards from 1981 somewhere (this pic shameless cribbed from ebay):

http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/50/2f/ac_1.JPG

Looger
02-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Speaking of Potato Chips... why are there no more Brown ones when you buy a bag?? I want a bag of all Brown chips. They taste so much better...

Think I could go to the Old Dutch factory in the NE with a garbage bag and they'll load me up with the "Delicious Defectives?"
what aboot the green ones???

OilersBaby
02-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Im in Cali and we can't buy KETCHUP CHIPS..or DILL PICKLE. I miss em! Hehe, when I go to Edmonton in March, Im going to bring back a whole crate of them so the skeptics here can try them.

Antithesis
02-01-2007, 05:01 PM
The new Old Dutch Ripple Sour Cream n Onion remind me a bit of O'Ryans, but that taste simple can not be matched ... it was good enough to get my brother and I to co-operate and share when we were choosing our weekly treat at the grocery store.

Speaking of which, did anyone else here have a "Candy Night" when they were younger? Ours was on Friday, and we could pick either a slurpee, a bag of chips, or a chocolate bar.

SpitFire40
02-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Speaking of Candy, what the hell happened to "Punkies"??? They were like Nerds candy but crunched up and formed into pieces.

Goddam those were so good.

looooob
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Speaking of which, did anyone else here have a "Candy Night" when they were younger? Ours was on Friday, and we could pick either a slurpee, a bag of chips, or a chocolate bar.Saturday morning. although I usually used all my money on hockey cards, which meant jamming 5 sticks of pink gum in my mouth. if they were out of cards, then I'd go for an aero bar

Flames_Gimp
02-01-2007, 05:31 PM

haha yes, the styrofoam biplanes at red rooster!!!! the ones with the clip onn propeller...

Flames_Gimp
02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
http://www.einsteins-emporium.com/technology/aero/images/ta210-bm.jpg

http://www.einsteins-emporium.com/technology/aero/images/ta210-dw.jpg

Sparks
02-01-2007, 05:38 PM
How about Bonkers (candy)? I'm sure I wasn't the only fan. Found a picture:

http://a6.vox.com/6a00c2251cf9f3f21900c2252362568fdb-120pi

I used to go to Red Rooster all the time, too, but for some reason, I only remember buying hockey cards at 7-11, even though it was further away. Not sure why.

I was also guilty of eating all the hockey card gum at the same time. :D That distinctive hockey-card-gum smell (you know what I'm talking about!) - something you never forget. That's how it is with me, anyway. Weird.

And, yeah, O'Ryans were great.

edit: Oh, man, I'd forgotten about those styrofoam planes - I had a couple of those - good post.

BlAcKNoVa
02-01-2007, 06:03 PM
I agree with everyone here about the Mexican Chilli chips, I miss them sooo much :(

My favs right now though are Jalapeno, ketchup, and Onion & Garlic flavour, all from Old Dutch I believe.

Looger
02-01-2007, 06:05 PM
bonkers were ok - but they sure plastered ads on every comic book, every tv show, man they were the pepsi of saturday mornings!

Hack&Lube
02-02-2007, 12:37 AM

Vickies are just Kettle clones. You can get those anywhere. Even Wal-Mart has no-name Kettle chips.

I'm lamenting the disappearance of thick crunchy chips with lots of flavour. Seems all the chips these days are thin sliced.

If there are any Aussies on this board, I am told through the magic of the interweb that they have a crisp called O'Ryan's that is remarkably...well sounds like our old O'Ryans. If that's true, I need a few cases.

Wow, so many things about our childhoods were dictated by convienience stores. I used to get those styrofoam planes too. Along with a pack of Pro-Set hockey cards!

Seabass
02-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Does anyone remember when Old Dutch had a ripple chip called Au Gratin, with cheese flavour on it? Those were pretty tasty.

DebJane
10-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Superstore PC Original flavor are the Closest to the o'ryan thickness and flavor, at least the original flavor ones (plain)....They sell out quick and they are under $2.00 a bag? Took 2 days to get approved and registered on this forum as part of my O'Ryans homage. :( :whaa:

blankall
10-29-2012, 11:44 AM
I was also guilty of eating all the hockey card gum at the same time. :D That distinctive hockey-card-gum smell (you know what I'm talking about!) - something you never forget. That's how it is with me, anyway. Weird.

It's kind of strange...now that you mention it, I can remember the taste. That thin white powder with an infusion of cardboard. Also, the gum would often be rock hard and shatter.

Bet I could still find some unopened pack on EBay....you guys think that stuff keeps?

AR_Six
10-29-2012, 12:03 PM
I came in here to post about Thunder Crunch. I could really go for some hot wings flavour right now. Their Jalapeno has been unmatched by any of the myriad pretenders that have followed.

RIP, you beloved tasty potato snack. RIP.

king_amonte
10-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Does anyone remember Thunder Crunch Hotter than.......Fiery Pepper Sauce, easily my favorite chip of all time!!!

kipperfan
10-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Dammit, saw this thread bumped and thought maybe Lays decided to bring the O'Ryans brand out of retirement or something. :(

Hans Landa
10-29-2012, 06:35 PM
FYI - Hostess still exists in Ontario in the discount grocery banners FreshCo and Food Basics.

If you guys are looking for something yummy there are still some of the Jalapeno Cheddar Cheetos Crunchy lingering around in the market, but they'll be gone soon as they're only temporary. They are very good and seem to sell out fast.

Also, the colder weather means the Rold Gold Chocolate Covered Pretzels will be back soon.

Congrats to Alberta and BC for keeping Old Dutch alive though. I'm surprised they haven't pulled out of Eastern Canada yet. They get no shelf space in grocery these days... at a Walmart in Ontario OD gets about 4 feet and Frito Lay have about 42 feet in most cases.
Gotta love having Pepsi money behind you.

drhu22
10-29-2012, 08:13 PM
The new Old Dutch Ripple Sour Cream n Onion remind me a bit of O'Ryans, but that taste simple can not be matched ... it was good enough to get my brother and I to co-operate and share when we were choosing our weekly treat at the grocery store.

Speaking of which, did anyone else here have a "Candy Night" when they were younger? Ours was on Friday, and we could pick either a slurpee, a bag of chips, or a chocolate bar.

Yup...except ours was candy day every Saturday. Apparently the dentist recommended it, and so dad tried it. We were glad he did. Every Sat we could pig out on candy that our parents bought to our hearts content, but it was banned the rest of the week (really not much of a hardship).

saskflames69
10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Old Dutch Rave Buffalo Wings > everything else.

ken0042
10-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Dammit, saw this thread bumped and thought maybe Lays decided to bring the O'Ryans brand out of retirement or something. :(

I have updated the thread title.