PDA

View Full Version : I just ate moldy beef jerky

KevanGuy
02-01-2007, 02:42 AM
Title says it all. I bought a 125g bag of McSweeneys Original Beef Jerky tonight at Shell. I opened er up, ate a couple pieces and THEN noticed some mold on the piece I was eating. Looked in the bag, YUP! ALL moldy! Kinda a mixture of blue-green and white molds.

I guess the point of this thread is two fold. If no one sees me online at all tomorrow you can all assume the worst. Botulism! And secondly, a warning to all. If you buy this junk LOOK INSIDE THE BAG FIRST!!! Cue the make-it-yourself crowd

Neeper
02-01-2007, 03:43 AM
You gotta get the asian beef jerkey at T&T.

OILFAN #81
02-01-2007, 03:49 AM
You NEVER buy beef jerky at gas stations. I was tempted once when I was in Calgary at an Esso and the expiry date on it was EIGHTEEN months before the day it currently had been. I haven't had beef jerky in years though. I should go get a pack tomorrow from Safeway!

jam26
02-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Yuck! I bought one of those vaccum-sealed sandwiches from a gas station recently and ate it as I drove. With about two bites remaining, I loooked down to find several large sections of mould on the remainder of my sandwich. Didn't get sick though.

icarus
02-01-2007, 06:06 AM
I will donate $100 to Calgarypuck if KevanGuy eats the whole 125g bag of moldy beef jerky.

Bobblehead
02-01-2007, 09:10 AM
I once bought a 500ml of milk, walked out of the store, opened it up and took a big swig........of this cottage cheese consistancy stuff. NOT pleasant.

ken0042
02-01-2007, 09:22 AM
If no one sees me online at all tomorrow you can all assume the worst. Botulism!

Food poisoning takes about 24-48 hours to set in, right?

I think we need another countdown clock! :D

Bobblehead
02-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Food poisoning takes about 24-48 hours to set in, right?

I think we need another countdown clock! :D

I thought it was much faster than that?

.....OK, here is an article (link (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/food_poisoning/page3_em.htm#Food%20Poisoning%20Symptoms))
The symptoms can develop rapidly, within 30 minutes, or slowly, worsening over days to weeks. Most of the common contaminants cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramping. Usually food poisoning is not serious, and the illness runs its course in 24-48 hours.

fredr123
02-01-2007, 09:39 AM
I will donate $100 to Calgarypuck if KevanGuy eats the whole 125g bag of moldy beef jerky.
Heheheh. I thought this was the title to another CP fundraising thread. How much moldy jerky can KG eat?

I-Hate-Hulse
02-01-2007, 10:21 AM

I'm not a fan of asian beef jerky - sweet and soggy - meh.

looooob
02-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I would have assumed mold couldn't grow on Beef Jerky

who knew?

Winsor_Pilates
02-01-2007, 10:51 AM
I ate a moldy cream puff once. It was absolutely horrific. From the outside it looked fine, but when I stuck the whole thing in my mouth and took a big bite into the cream, it was by far the worst thing I've ever tasted. The taste actually stayed in my mouth for about 24 hours despite repeated brushing, mints and eating other foods. Not a good experience.

Hack&Lube
02-01-2007, 10:54 AM

The asian beef jerky I like is nolonger made. Jimmy's Beef Jerky went out of business after like 20 years. It was razor thin beef, dry. Almost transparent with delicious spicy flavour.

Looger
02-01-2007, 10:57 AM
take it from a seasoned bachelor who's eaten A LOT of questionable meat and pseudo-meat...

you'll be ok, at worst some stomach trouble.

KevanGuy
02-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Whew, made it through the night. Im about 12 hours in. Condition: satisfactory.

MattyK
02-01-2007, 11:08 AM
I have about a half-dozen convience food items a year. That is, things that can expire, like sandwiches, milk, or jerkey.

Never been sick. Then again, I check dates on things. You might get a bit of sympathy from me if the item didn't expire yet. But if it's expired, then tough luck. Heck, if it's even within a couple days of expiring, I won't buy it, especially from a convience/gas store. Adults should know better.

looooob
02-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Whew, made it through the night. Im about 12 hours in. Condition: satisfactory.
here's the true test

are you peckish for more Beef Jerky?

if so, you are 100% cured

KevanGuy
02-01-2007, 11:11 AM
The expiry date was Oct 07. Im gonna call them up today and see what they have to say. Maybe they will send me a whole box of the stuff.

Beef jerky peckish factor: 0

Frank the Tank
02-01-2007, 11:49 AM
If you find yourself naked in the backyard, covered in peanut butter, howling at the moon, then something might be wrong.....just a theory....

Titan
02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Same thing happened to me. I bought a big bag at Costco. The white streaks just looked like normal white streaks on jerky. Didn't taste right though. On closer inspection there was fuzz all over the bottom of the bag. The seal on the bag did not take and turned it into a jungle. Not pleasant. Didn' yak though.

looooob
02-01-2007, 11:57 AM
If you find yourself naked in the backyard, covered in peanut butter, howling at the moon, then something might be wrong.....just a theory....
not sure he can blame yesterday's beef jerkey for his last two years worth of escapades

CaptainCrunch
02-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Title says it all. I bought a 125g bag of McSweeneys Original Beef Jerky tonight at Shell. I opened er up, ate a couple pieces and THEN noticed some mold on the piece I was eating. Looked in the bag, YUP! ALL moldy! Kinda a mixture of blue-green and white molds.

I guess the point of this thread is two fold. If no one sees me online at all tomorrow you can all assume the worst. Botulism! And secondly, a warning to all. If you buy this junk LOOK INSIDE THE BAG FIRST!!! Cue the make-it-yourself crowd

The good news is you probably cured your scorching case of herpes, the bad news is your going to die

Frank the Tank
02-01-2007, 12:39 PM
The good news is you probably cured your scorching case of herpes, the bad news is your going to die

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Gold buddy, pure gold!!

North East Goon
02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
I have alway's wondered, do hot rods have cardboard in them, because it sure seems like it?

HalifaxDrunk
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
If you find yourself naked in the backyard, covered in peanut butter, howling at the moon

Doesn't he do that after a Flame win already? You can expect sightings Friday and Saturday....

Frank the Tank
02-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Doesn't he do that after a Flame win already? You can expect sightings Friday and Saturday....

I wondered if those news reports were him! Time to out KevanGuy!!

Flames_Gimp
02-01-2007, 01:37 PM
you will be missed, KG

SpitFire40
02-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Can anyone explain why BJ is so damn expensive. It is goood because my blood pressure would be 400 over 300 if it wasn't.

I always wondered this as well... It's not like it's made out of Tenderloin...

Anyhoo, when I buy bags like this I check the exp date, then I put like half a cup of soy sauce in the bag and let it double marinate.

I have even eaten a bag for dinner once... haha

OILFAN #81
02-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Can anyone explain why BJ is so damn expensive. It is goood because my blood pressure would be 400 over 300 if it wasn't.

Depends on the quality on your meat that you are recieving...:cool:

looooob
02-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Depends on the quality on your meat that you are recieving...:cool:nice work, you fotze'd fotze

Looger
02-01-2007, 04:27 PM
when you make beef jerky you understand why it's so expensive.

it loses so much weight from dehydration, i think it's like 5-1 or 6-1.

browna
02-01-2007, 04:33 PM
nice work, you fotze'd fotze
Completely intentional on his part...he made the cross crease pass, someone just had to put it in (no pun intended).

algernon
02-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I once almost ate a whole large sized bag of moose jerky as a 7 or 8 year old.

I would've got through the whole thing, but my aunt caught me and was agahst that what was left was spotted with bluish mold. after inspecting the other 5 pounds that my uncle had around the place, she through the rest out, much to my chagrin. I don't recall getting sick.

This past summer, I awoke with a harsh hangover, and stumbled to whoever's fridge and pulled out a half 2L bottle of Clamato and slammed 3/4 of it ...and ceased when I saw a toonie sized slug of slimy mold slide down the side of the jug. Didn't puke, but buddies' g/f wretched a little when I showed her the bottle...'ewww get it away!...I MEAN IT!'

Table 5
02-01-2007, 04:51 PM
The white streaks just looked like normal white streaks on jerky.

I dunno what to tell you, but there shoud never be any white streaks on jerky!

Antithesis
02-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I got some great beef jerky at Pike Place Market in Seattle this summer, it was gone in like 3 days despite my best efforts ... we're talking several packages. Man, that stuff was awesome.

Titan
02-01-2007, 05:03 PM
I dunno what to tell you, but there shoud never be any white streaks on jerky!

Oh.

Oh no.:eek:

NSFL
02-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Oh man, this thread is awesome. I've been stressing like crazy because of my bio midterm tomorrow. And you guys have chilled me right out. Thanks. :)

Reggie Dunlop
02-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Beef jerky (even the commercial type chock full of perservatives) should always be stored in a dark, cool place. I really don't understand why manufacturers don't package their product in a lightproof enclosure.

Even worse than buying it in a conveniece store is buying it at a gas station.

When I make my own, it goes in the fridge. Not that it lasts long, LOL.

SpitFire40
02-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Beef jerky (even the commercial type chock full of perservatives) should always be stored in a dark, cool place. I really don't understand why manufacturers don't package their product in a lightproof enclosure.

Even worse than buying it in a conveniece store is buying it at a gas station.

When I make my own, it goes in the fridge. Not that it lasts long, LOL.

So when will CP see a Reg's Ole Fashioned Jerky Drive??

Reggie Dunlop
02-01-2007, 11:53 PM
So when will CP see a Reg's Ole Fashioned Jerky Drive??

Well, it's not really Ole Fashioned. It's Reg Fashioned!

PsYcNeT
02-02-2007, 12:18 AM
I have had no bad jerky experiences (thank god, it's my only true food treat), but I've had a bag of chips have a silverfish run out of it, and another bag of chips have a band-aid in it :/

Thankfully, I'm disease free :D

Shawnski
02-02-2007, 08:54 AM
I ate a moldy cream puff once. It was absolutely horrific. From the outside it looked fine, but when I stuck the whole thing in my mouth and took a big bite into the cream, it was by far the worst thing I've ever tasted. The taste actually stayed in my mouth for about 24 hours despite repeated brushing, mints and eating other foods. Not a good experience.

I am curious. Did she ever apologize to you?

/<fotze impersonation>

Flashpoint
02-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I was at a house party and grabbed my beer off the coffee table to take a swig.

I got foul tasting goo. I had accidentally grabbed the bottle my buddy was using as a spitoon for his mouthful of chewing tobacco.

Looger
02-02-2007, 10:19 AM
the only time i was mildly worried from eating / drinking something was when i was 17, working in the bush, and syphoning fuel (a daily chore...) i swallowed a mouthful of diesel. yuk.

the only real thing that happened was everything tasted and smelled like diesel for 2 days, not sure why i was worried aboot it.

Flames_Gimp
02-02-2007, 10:28 AM
KG..you still with us? lol

Looger
02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Diesel. Jeezus that stuff is brutal for you. Although it would explain a few things.....;)
nah...

i was crazy before, ask anyone!

i did break my cranium once as a kid though...

also, i did break my cranium once as a kid.

Frank the Tank
02-02-2007, 11:54 AM
nah...

i was crazy before, ask anyone!

i did break my cranium once as a kid though...

also, i did break my cranium once as a kid.

Just....barfed....from.....laughing.....so......ha rd.......:D :D :D

KevanGuy
02-02-2007, 07:24 PM
KG..you still with us? lol

Yeah, no ill effects. I havent had a chance to call McSweeny's yet. Maybe Monday.

maverickeastwood
02-02-2007, 07:56 PM
If your not sh**ing thru the eye of a needle, you'll be fine. The cramps hurt real bad though