PDA

View Full Version : Facial Hair Thread!!

kipperfan
01-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes that is right.....this is the facial hair thread!!

I have been in a quandry over the years as I love to grow in a nice goatee or a thin beard...but the girlfriend, no matter which one has always hated it and nagged the hell out of me until I shaved!

So the question is what do you guys think...you like it like I do? Your women nag you? Have you found a way to make them accept it or at least stop with the whining about it? You got anything good growing now? If so put a pic up...I will try to get my cam working and throw a pic up of my newest project.

For you women out there on CP....why oh why do you make us shave? And dont give the "it tickles me when I kiss you" excuse!

CrazyCaper
01-31-2007, 09:13 PM
I've had my 1/2 goatee since 2000. Got married in 2003 and shaved it off a month before the wedding because I thought it would look nicer for our wedding pics.

MY FIANCE (now wife) MADE ME GROW IT BACK BEFORE THE WEDDING.

She says I looked weird without it. The longer you have it, the more it becomes a part of who you are. I couldn't imagine shaving it off now. Plus, makes the morning shaves nice and quick.

bluejays
01-31-2007, 09:13 PM
not to sound negative, but what exactly is the point of keeping your facial hair? To show you're a man? I can grow a mean full beard, but choose not too...I've got Domibrows, and the two just don't work well with one another.

kipperfan
01-31-2007, 09:29 PM
not to sound negative, but what exactly is the point of keeping your facial hair? To show you're a man? I can grow a mean full beard, but choose not too...I've got Domibrows, and the two just don't work well with one another.

I guess for the same reason alot of us keep the hair on our heads.....some guys just think they look better. Personally I have all throughout my life had a babyface but a thick beard, so i always thought growing it in made me look older(back when that was a good thing...lol)...and now I am just used to always having some facial hair growing and think I look alot better with it.

kipperfan
01-31-2007, 09:32 PM
I notice a lot of tubby dudes have goatees.

LOL

Thats very true now that i think about it....not the pudgy ones though...the big FAT ones always have a little goatee!

bluejays
01-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Do you find it itches though? If I get lazy and don't shave for a week, I find my face itches all the time (and yes, I have a shower everyday). That I find annoying.

Vulcan
01-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Do you find it itches though? If I get lazy and don't shave for a week, I find my face itches all the time (and yes, I have a shower everyday). That I find annoying.

The itch goes away, just tough it out.

kipperfan
01-31-2007, 09:36 PM

When I was younger it did alot. As I got older it does less and less....now it will itch for about 4 days between the 6th day and the 11th day...but after that she is feeling good. :)

photon
01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
We're having a facial hair growing contest in the office (yee haw), I'm about a week and a half without shaving and it itches horribly. Just letting it grow out for now, haven't decided what I'll do with it. I've never let it grow like this before, ever.

My wife hates it! But I convinced her that it's for morale at work :D

Maserati
01-31-2007, 09:44 PM
had a goatee ever since ended up shaving it for work and jus never grew it back..as for sideburns always a pain to make sure they are even etc

Hemi-Cuda
01-31-2007, 09:46 PM
my facial hair comes in about as well as Jarome Iginla's, so i'm basically forced to shave if i don't want to look like a bum. one good thing about it is that since it grows really slow i can get away with only shaving once or twice a week

Wookie
01-31-2007, 09:46 PM
I hate shaving, I like the scruffy look

Also I don't really need to shave every day.

So, 2 days for me is a hairy guys 5'shadow.

I either shave every 6 days. Or use trimmers to look like I haven't shaved in 2 - 3 days.

Also I'm lazy and I hate shaving.

I'll shave more in the summer though.

Something about shaving in the winter.. Dry skin.. Pale... Razor burn.. Ughh..

Although the itching does annoy me at times

I know girls that hate it because it scratches their face.

One day when I was new to swimming, I had some facial hair, by the end of my workout I had a big scrape on my shoulder and it was so bad it kinda scabbed over. That was from me rubbing my chin into my shoulder every time I took a breath lol..

I bought electric clippers/razor just so I could use the clippers on my face to make it so I didn't have to shave as often, and when I did the clippers would make it less painful.

The electric razor end.. doesn't work, I always have to use a real razor and cream to get a normal shave.

Mr.Coffee
01-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Don't forget to participate in Mustache March! Post your picture and then people can vote.

kipperfan
01-31-2007, 09:52 PM
had a goatee ever since ended up shaving it for work and jus never grew it back..as for sideburns always a pain to make sure they are even etc

Ohhhh sideburns..I dont even bother anymore. I get so paranoid that they are un-even that I keep trimming them until they truly are un-even and then have to get rid of them.

Inferno
01-31-2007, 10:02 PM
I've had my goatee for a few years now. I dont have a woman to nag me to shave it off but my mom and sister give me a hard time about it sometimes just like they did when I had long hair a couple years ago but I just ignore them.

Hack&Lube
01-31-2007, 10:03 PM
I cannot grow one millimeter of facial hair at all. Anywhere. Except for one spot where one single hair comes out of my cheek. Much be a broken gene and a mutant cell.

Guess it saves me trouble and time in my life. Shaving for me accounts to pulling out one tiny hair.

REDVAN
01-31-2007, 10:10 PM
I cannot grow one millimeter of facial hair at all. Anywhere. Except for one spot where one single hair comes out of my cheek. Much be a broken gene and a mutant cell.

Guess it saves me trouble and time in my life. Shaving for me accounts to pulling out one tiny hair.

I have the same beard- absolutley none. Good from the shaving once every 2 weeks for a few whiskers haha, but bad from the standpoint of being embarassed in beard growing contests!

socalwingfan
01-31-2007, 10:18 PM
In 10+ years of marriage, my wife has seen me clean shaven once - on our wedding day. Usually have a goatee - got to 6 inches in length (insert fotzeesque comments here) then got promoted at work, so cut it to regular length. Have had a full beard for about 2 years now - I hate shaving

LGA
01-31-2007, 10:22 PM
Can't really grow facial hair except for a goatee type thing. It get's off to a pretty nice start but then stalls into oblivion within a week and just stops. Makes me look really scruffy.

rockstar
01-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Babies' asses are bristly compared to my face.

Redvan, I feel your pain. :D

the-rasta-masta
01-31-2007, 10:55 PM
I am only 19, and I am just starting to be able to grow some facial hair. I can grow it underneath my chin and down my neck pretty thick, but its very sparse on the cheek and sideburn area. Also, my moustache doesn't connect to the lower part yet. Very patchy.... I tried growing it out for finals, and it looked similar to Alex Ovechkins.... horrible!

Claeren
01-31-2007, 11:04 PM
I agree with the baby face comment.

I too have a baby face, with round cheeks, and in my own self-view it feels like it is muted somewhat when i have a 5-o'clock shadow/a little scruffiness.

Just seems more masculine than having these super round, soft as a babies bottom, damned dutch cheeks!! :D

Claeren.

BlackArcher101
01-31-2007, 11:11 PM
For me, I have to grow a goatee since it seems nothing grows on top of the head (anymore). A completely bald head, save the eyebrows, looks just wrong.

Incinerator
01-31-2007, 11:16 PM
I can only grow a thin 'stache (Jokinen style) so I've never grown anything, I shave every 4 days, dont wanna look like an a$sclown

Ironhorse
01-31-2007, 11:19 PM
For me, I have to grow a goatee since it seems nothing grows on top of the head (anymore). A completely bald head, save the eyebrows, looks just wrong.x2 :D

I keep my beard very short (sort of like Kipper), a trim every 3 or 4 weeks, since it doesn't grow on my cheeks at the same rate or density as on my chin. My wife and her friends think it looks good, and I like the fact I don't have to shave every morning. I do shave the part of neck from my jawline down, otherwise it looks scruffy; but that is only once a week.

As an added bonus, it does keep your face a lot warmer during the winter.

flamingchina
01-31-2007, 11:41 PM
I had a full beard (cept for the stash) for around 9 months, then shaved it...
Sadly, most every grl I know thinks beards are not sexy, so alas.

JerzeeGirl
02-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Just to chime in on the why do the women want their men to shave issue....maybe it's just me having very sensitive skin but I get the worst stubble/beard burn when I.....well anyways....:o :whistle:

Vulcan
02-01-2007, 01:06 AM
I've had a full beard pretty much all the time since I was 19. Don't like shaving and had bad razor rash around my neck. I also think it looks good for me and as someone said is warm in the winter.

It also became kind of a statement when my foreman told me to shave or don't bother coming back to work. I didn't shave but came back to work anyways but was put on a different crew. Fine with me.

Igottago
02-01-2007, 01:39 AM
A couple years ago I was sportin a full beard...neatly trimmed though..now i've been clean shaven for a good year and a bit..I do keep the soul patch though..I look much younger now, I think. But I like the beard..it will return one day, when I'm a bit older.

I actually wish I could keep my 2 days shadow worth of growth all the time, its a nice balance between ruggedness and a youthful look..but its to hard to keep it at that point.

J pold
02-01-2007, 02:07 AM
I have a love hate thing going on with my facial hair

If I let it grow I think it looks bad till it gets to this length when it starts to look good

The only problem is that I grow it pretty much right down my neck till it attaches with my chest

And I get nothing under my lower lip ad nothing on my chin, and my moustache grows in much thinner than they rest so it’s kind of like a huderite beard

Dion
02-01-2007, 02:36 AM
Tried growing a beard a few times but found it got too itchy!

Had a moustache through my 20's and into my 30's, then shaved it off for some reason and have never grown it back.

Daradon
02-01-2007, 04:11 AM
I recently grew a goatee, my facial hair grows pretty quick. In fact 5 o'clock shadow usually hits me around 3:45.

My girlfriend HATED it, siad she's made every one of her boyfriends shave off their facial hair becuase it 'hurts her sensistive skin'. I kept it anyway, I grew it after a long debate with my business partner and we we decide to do a team building/playoff style facial hair growing.

I told my girlfriend I'd cut it off I just wanted to see what it would look like first.

Anyway about day 10 or whenever, when it looking pretty good we were kissing on the couch and all of a sudden she got really turned on by the feel of it. BY day ten it's grown into that soft stage if your taking care of it.

So the goatee stays now! :) Till I get tired of it anyway.

I know a few other girls who really like them too, but several on the side of the fence current girlfriend started on, just hating them.

BlAcKNoVa
02-01-2007, 04:48 AM
I hate shaving so I pretty much have a thin beard going most of the time.

Flamesguy_SJ
02-01-2007, 06:40 AM
I've changed my facial hair style quite frequently. Started out in grade 10 with just a goatee, and I've grown several beards for parts in plays etc. I'm in my first year of university and am clean-shaven at the moment. I've had a moustache, chops, soul patch, neck beard.....my personal favorite, however, is the "white trash moustache"; the hair along your jawline connects to your moustache, and you shave your chin. I'll see if I can get a picture of it up soon.

Edit1: Woot! 100th post!

Edit2: this is the best picture I can find...from my grade 12 year link (http://pic.piczo.com/img/i103679635_70664_3.jpg)

icarus
02-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Edit2: this is the best picture I can find...from my grade 12 year link (http://pic.piczo.com/img/i103679635_70664_3.jpg)
Ack!

@theCBE
02-01-2007, 07:18 AM
I have a 5'oclock shadow by the time I move to the other half of my face.. its ridiculous. My g/f hates facial hair for the look and because she has sensitive skin. So to keep her happy, which keeps me sane, I stay clean shaven. I'll keep a little goatee, soul patch, flavour saver.. every few months but it usually only lasts a few weeks max.

Anyone have any tips for getting a closer shave.. or even better less growth?

Frank the Tank
02-01-2007, 07:22 AM
I've had a full beard for 10 plus years now. Its one of those things where I just don't look right without it. Everyone who has known me that long agrees I look better with it than without. The wife loves it.

BlackEleven
02-01-2007, 07:28 AM
I have a beard as well. Neatly trimmed though, which I do once a week. I don't like the look of a bushy beard.

The girlfriend loves it. I shaved it off once and she made me grow it back.

Bench Warmer
02-01-2007, 07:38 AM
I've got a chin goatee of half goatee or whatever. Wife hates it although the funny thing is I've basically had it the whole time I've known her. I've probably had it for 5-6 years now - only shaving it off for our wedding.

I don't know why but I find moustaches hilarious - I've been toying with the idea of going for one even just for a week. Probably won't do it cuz it looks so terrible on me but it would be funny...

rubecube
02-01-2007, 09:05 AM
I just really hate shaving so I only do it on Fridays (usually). Other than that I've got the scruffy net beard and a really thin blonde stache that doesn't match the beard. Looks ######ed.

octothorp
02-01-2007, 09:14 AM
I first grew a goatee in highschool because I really hated the way my chin looks. I've had facial hair of some form or another for pretty much a decade straight. I grew a full beard when the Flames had their playoff run a couple years ago, and my wife agreed that I looked really good with a full beard so I've kept it -- if I was still single, I probably wouldn't grow the full beard, even though I know that personally I look far better with it than clean-shaven or even with a goatee.

bluejays
02-01-2007, 09:48 AM
A little off topic, but I hate shaving, and grow it out for 3-4 times a week. Shaving takes about 15 minutes with a razor (those shaving machines (forgot the name) don't work with my skin...get bad rashes), but I don't mind the 1-2 day growth look. Any ideas for trimmers like they have at barbers for just spending 1 minute everyday to give it the 1-2 day scruffy look?

Hack&Lube
02-01-2007, 10:51 AM
I have the same beard- absolutley none. Good from the shaving once every 2 weeks for a few whiskers haha, but bad from the standpoint of being embarassed in beard growing contests!

Trying shaving once every 6 months for me. And I'm 23.

MattyK
02-01-2007, 11:17 AM

Probably because it helps hide their (er, our?) double-chins.

The first real facial hair accumulation I had was during the Oilers playoff run. I went from that to a soul patch. That lasted for a couple weeks, then it came all off.

I shave every four or five days now. I don't mind a little scruff. Plus I'm lazy now that my electric shaver is near-dead after seven years of daily use. Stupid shaving with a razor...

Now, what do people use? After my electric razor crapped out, I went back to my two-blade Sensor Excel. Mostly because I can get cheap generic refills for it. Screw this five-blade razor crap.

return to the red
02-01-2007, 11:21 AM
have had the Flavour Savour and sideburns (about earlobe length) since I can remember and wouldn't think about shaving off the sideburns (Mattingly I thought I told you to shave off those sideburns). Usually shave every second day but if I could I would leave it at the 2 days growth but unfortuantly in a sales career it looks kind of unprofessional.

Usually during my 2 weeks I get off at xmas I'll grow the goatee but the wife doesn't really like it. I'm pretty scruffy when it comes down to it so the wife is always complaining when I don't shave

Superflyer
02-01-2007, 12:54 PM
My wife always used to complain when I started my goatee. But after a while she just learned to live with it. I look at pictures of me without it and I look goofy. I cannot picture myself without it now. I have had it for about 4 years now except for one week when I had to shave it off because I was trimming it and slipped and made a bald spot on the side.
Now she just complains when I let it go for to long and it get out of control.

B-RaD
02-01-2007, 02:33 PM
I've had facial hair since about grade 8, and i hate going clean shaven cause it makes me itch like crazy. It now takes about 5-6 hours to get that 1/2 cm covering so shaving is useless for me...I just bought some clippers that are supposed to be for shaving ones head and use the '0' setting for my face.
I like the slightly scruffy look anyways, and shaving before work and then AFTER work as well was the biggest waste of time ever.

PowerPlayoffs06
02-01-2007, 02:45 PM

It's because it elongates your face and makes it look a little thinner, and hides the extra chin.

For real.

OilersBaby
02-01-2007, 03:37 PM
I dont like moustaches or crazy long sideburns, but I do like the goatees. My husband insists on being clean shaven to work, but I like it when he doesnt shave on the weekend. A lil bit of scruff is manly, no woman wants a baby soft face. Hehe.

REDVAN
02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Trying shaving once every 6 months for me. And I'm 23.

I could probably get away with that- except for a few chin whiskers. And I am 22 so I understand the pain.

IF I could grow anything I probably would, seeing as how I am so used to not shaving often.