PDA

View Full Version : California looks to ban traditional light bulbs

Stranger
01-31-2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16902988/?GT1=8921

Seems like an easy way to cut energy use. I'd be infavor of it here as a small step to decreasing energy consumption and save a few bucks.

troutman
01-31-2007, 03:12 PM
How many Californians does it take to change a light bulb?

Gundo
01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
How many Californians does it take to change a light bulb?

The real question is.....
"WHO IS YOU DADDY AND WHAT DOES HE DO?"

he changes lights for rich people in LA.

jar_e
01-31-2007, 03:17 PM
I bought the whole house some of them a while back then I found myself wanting to slit my wrists, then I realized the house was dark and gloomy and depressing, we replaced most of them back to some juicey 100 Watters.

Did I just buy the wrong ones?

In the basement suite I'm in the landlord has these "true light" bulbs which I think consume less...anyways they're freakin' bright and definitely a more "cleaner" light.

ken0042
01-31-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm with you Fotze. I've taken the 100W equivilant CFL and also put a 40 watt in the same soclet to give some real light.

They now have ones that supposedly look more like daylight. I'm going to try those next.

GoinAllTheWay
01-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Yes, the newest energy saver bulbs are MUCH better then they were just a short time ago. I'm in total agreement that they once shed some rather gloomy light but if you buy the ones that are out these days, I notice little, if any difference, from the old style bulbs. They are just as good now.

MattyK
01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
The flourescents can be good. It all depends on the application and/or the bulb you choose.

I bought a bunch of 60W-equivalents from the dollar store. They're great for the bedrooms, storage closet, table lamps, entrance/hallway lights. Not so good for bathrooms, the office, or the dining room -- places where you want bright light to see.

I might buy some brighter ones to slowly replace the remaining incandescents I have around. Cheaper in the long run, and I don't feel so guilty when I leave all my lights on anymore. The only downside is that you can't use dimmers with them, though that only affects my alarm-clock sunrise simulator dealie. Plus they kind of look ugly.

Now, what I really should get rid of is that 300W halogen stand-up lamp in my living room. It's a huge power drain, even at half brightness...

calf
01-31-2007, 03:48 PM
First smoking, then trans-fats, now lightbulbs...will we have any freedoms left in a few years??

ken0042
01-31-2007, 03:55 PM
You forgot about low flow toilets, calf. :D

Cube Inmate
01-31-2007, 04:29 PM
You know, people would get a lot less defensive about this kind of thing if legislators would attempt to use incentives instead of authoritarian measures like bannination.

Make a deal with manufacturers of CFLs (for example) offering them a tax break in exchange for providing a discount coupon to Californians. Let the people get there on their own...don't shove it down their throats.

Instead they'll ban things, and just have a black market spring up, while simultaneously f-ing up the business of incandenscent bulb manufacturers. Awesome.

Bill Bumface
01-31-2007, 04:36 PM
You know, people would get a lot less defensive about this kind of thing if legislators would attempt to use incentives instead of authoritarian measures like bannination.

Make a deal with manufacturers of CFLs (for example) offering them a tax break in exchange for providing a discount coupon to Californians. Let the people get there on their own...don't shove it down their throats.

Instead they'll ban things, and just have a black market spring up, while simultaneously f-ing up the business of incandenscent bulb manufacturers. Awesome.

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to have a problem with guys in South Central LA selling incadescent light bulbs out of their trench coat.

Your right though, they should get rid of vehicle emmisions laws while they are at it. :rolleyes:

socalwingfan
01-31-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm pretty sure they aren't going to have a problem with guys in South Central LA selling incadescent light bulbs out of their trench coat.
. :rolleyes:

No - they'll be selling them on the Freeway off-ramps with all the decorative rugs and bags of oranges.

HelloHockeyFans
01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Personally, I'm a huge fan of halogen bulbs. Don't like any other kind.

the_hound
01-31-2007, 05:22 PM
First smoking, then trans-fats, now lightbulbs...will we have any freedoms left in a few years??

Carefull, you'll get Looger in here trying to convince everybody that this is a ploy by the illuminatti to create a world police state ala 1984 :rolleyes:

Cube Inmate
01-31-2007, 05:23 PM

Nope. But maybe this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States) on a smaller scale. Tell people they can't do something, and they'll try their hardest to do it. Tell people that you'll reward them for changing their behaviour, and a lot of them will do it.

Your right though, they should get rid of vehicle emmisions laws while they are at it. :rolleyes:

Now would that be laws regarding noxious pollutants such as lead, carbon monoxide, and oxides of sulfur and nitrogen? Or laws regarding energy usage? I've yet to see any laws that prohibit a person from driving energy-wasting V-10 SUVs to the grocery store.

Calgaryborn
01-31-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm slowly switching over as my old light bulbs burn out.

I don't think I would like it if the government forced me to
change over tomorrow though.

redforever
01-31-2007, 05:27 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16902988/?GT1=8921

Seems like an easy way to cut energy use. I'd be infavor of it here as a small step to decreasing energy consumption and save a few bucks.

Problem is, there are people who will have health problems due to fluorescent lighting. They have a negative effect on many people.

OilersBaby
01-31-2007, 07:01 PM

Don't forget the cell phone ban in Cali, NY (cant drive while talking on your phone). Not sure if it has officially passed yet, but it's going to happen very soon

maverickeastwood
01-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Carefull, you'll get Looger in here trying to convince everybody that this is a ploy by the illuminatti to create a world police state ala 1984 :rolleyes:

I'll let Looger know:D

V
01-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Personally, I'm a huge fan of halogen bulbs. Don't like any other kind.

Halogen bulbs are so 1990. Xenon is where it's at now. The burn far, far cooler. Just a better light.

I'm guessing within 15 years California will be banning CFLs and ordering folks to use the new and improved LED lights.

I'm guessing this article isn't really accurate. There's no way you can ban all incandescent lighting. No MR16s? Do they realize how many of them are installed, everywhere?? You can't fit a CFL into one of those nifty little luminaires. Also, retrofitting all A-19 lamps with CFLs will look stupid in recessed downlighting. Those things just look like giant turds poking out of the housing.

What they should ban is neon lighting. There are far better alternatives out there right now, with LED strip lighting. Neon lights (burnt out ones, at least) are a very dangerous fire hazard, and should be eliminated. But I guess they're only getting at energy usage here.

Phanuthier
01-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Problem is, there are people who will have health problems due to fluorescent lighting. They have a negative effect on many people.
Yup, I hate CFLs. The problem is that they are gas plasma lights, and you get spikes of energy at certain wavelengths that are hard on your eyes, and probably other senses as well. Our eyes are built to absorb the sunlight's spectrum of light, not CFLs.

Halogen... have low luminous efficiency. Bad choice.

I agree with the above, xenom or sodium are a better choice.

V
01-31-2007, 11:58 PM
Sodium?? You're not talking about HPS are you? Not as a replacement for halogen. Actually, not as a replacement for anything, if you ask me. I'm surprised we still use HPS for our streetlighting, considering the changeover to flat glass everything.

sclitheroe
02-01-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm slowly switching over CFL's, and in my opinion, the new breed of bulbs is quite good. I'm using GE 60W equivalents right now, which are quite compact, and I'm quite pleased with them.

One of the best things about them is if you have an aquarium, you can use a cheap incadescent hood, instead of being bent over for a decent flourescent setup (flourescent hoods are stupid expensive for what you get) (well, OK, the whole hobby is a bit stupid expensive, but what can you do...)

-Scott

Bill Bumface
02-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Nope. But maybe this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States) on a smaller scale. Tell people they can't do something, and they'll try their hardest to do it. Tell people that you'll reward them for changing their behaviour, and a lot of them will do it.

Now would that be laws regarding noxious pollutants such as lead, carbon monoxide, and oxides of sulfur and nitrogen? Or laws regarding energy usage? I've yet to see any laws that prohibit a person from driving energy-wasting V-10 SUVs to the grocery store.

Well you are right, they are laws for pollutants.

For vehicle energy usage, they have the "gas guzzler" tax, to do as you say and encourage people to make the choice themselves. Thats working out really well for them obviously ;)

mykalberta
02-01-2007, 10:43 AM
It depends, I wouldnt mind if Alberta did it so long as they did it in response to say a GE building a bulb factory here in Alberta.

Like they say, if you dont like the rules - LEAVE, its a free country.

MYK

Reaper
02-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I bought the whole house some of them a while back then I found myself wanting to slit my wrists, then I realized the house was dark and gloomy and depressing, we replaced most of them back to some juicey 100 Watters.

Did I just buy the wrong ones?Yes, you should buy the Noma Full Spectrum Compact Flourescent bulbs. They seem to be the closest to natural light. They may take a couple seconds to get to full "bloom" but they are great lights. I even have the 150 watt equivalent bulbs in my outside fixtures with no problems. They light up fine even when it is -30 C.