PDA

View Full Version : Resume help

Bend it like Bourgeois
01-29-2007, 11:25 PM
A question for the resume gurus:

Two stints with the same employer, seperated by a few years. Similar, but not the same jobs.

Treat them as two distinct jobs on the resume?

V
01-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Two distinct positions with a gap in between?? I think you should treat it like that.

BlackArcher101
01-30-2007, 12:05 AM
I had a similar situation for my 3 summers while going to school. Worked for the same company, each year doing something a little different.

I ended up doing a chronological resume, with latest employer to last. Summer employer was grouped into one.

Went something like this.

2005 - 2007 Employer X
- Did this
- Did that

Summer 2005, '04, '03 Employer Y
- Did this
- Did that
- Also did this
- Don't forget this too

2001 - 2003 Employee Z
- Did this and that

edit: I guess it's not as similar, since you probably worked between the period, as if I would have worked while going to school. In that case, probably would have looked like this. (For example, worked between summer 04 and 03.

2005 - 2007 Employer X
- Did this
- Did that

Summer 2005, 2004 Employer Y
- Did this
- Did that
- Also did this
- Don't forget this too

2003 - 2004 Employer A
- Did this

Summer 2003 Employer Y
- Did this
- Did that

2001 - 2003 Employer Z
- Did this and that

JiriHrdina
01-30-2007, 12:07 AM
I would say yes - two seperate entries on your resume.

CaptainCrunch
01-30-2007, 12:19 AM
One of the big mistakes that people take nowadays on resumes is that they list thier responsibilities for jobs in point form, and nothing else

IE

1978-79 accountant double x ranch
- responsibile for accounts receivable
- responsible for accounts payable
- blah

One of the best resumes that I've ever seen cam across my desk this week where the person listed the company that he worked for, the mission statement for the company, and then used his responsibilities in relation to the mission statements and what they did to improve the company that he was with.

the one thing that I've noticed about the majority of resumes lately is that the candidate really fails to sell themselves and what they've done and achieved and fallen back to a basic laundry list. In order to be successful your resume has to stand out compared to the other doofus' that are applying for the same job as you.

Back to the original topic at hand, definately two seperate entries, make sure that even if the jobs were similar that they at least look distinct and point to some kind of career progression.

Just my two cents.

BlackArcher101
01-30-2007, 12:24 AM
One of the big mistakes that people take nowadays on resumes is that they list thier responsibilities for jobs in point form, and nothing else

Uh oh.... :bag:

:D

Bend it like Bourgeois
01-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Uh oh.... :bag:

:D

oh no, you clearly differentiated between this, that, and the other thing :)

thanks everyone for the insights

yahoo
01-30-2007, 02:30 AM
A question for the resume gurus:

Two stints with the same employer, seperated by a few years. Similar, but not the same jobs.

Treat them as two distinct jobs on the resume?

Absolutely

or you could have

XYZ Company 1999-2001, 2003-present
Marketing Director

- and list duties/achievements