PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Colbert 1, Oshawa Generals 0

Barnes
01-28-2007, 11:25 PM
A little while ago Stephen Colbert managed to convince the Saginaw Spirit to name their new mascot Steagle Colbeagle the Eagle. After a tough loss to the Oshawa Generals a little while back, the generals held their teddy bear toss that Colbert saw as directly taunting him. They played again on the 26th. Just before the game, Colbert told fans of the Spirit that they should throw General Moters' annual report on the ice. Apparently the Generals are named for GM.

The mayor of Oshawa laid out a challenge to Colbert. If the Generals won, he would have to wear a Generals Jersey for a show. If the Spirit won, Colbert Day in Oshawa would happen on his birthday.

Well, the Spirit won 5-4 and now March 20th will be Stephen Colbert day in Oshawa.

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/news_story/?ID=193700&hubname=chl

CaptainCrunch
01-28-2007, 11:27 PM
In a way I'm saying good for Colbert for bringing some attention to Jr hockey in Canada.

The guy has probably increased media coverage for Stephen colbert day.

icarus
01-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Hahaha... I know some people in The Shwa, I will be sure that they observe the holiday!

bluejays
01-29-2007, 09:52 AM
I seen the episode of Colbert telling spirit fans to throw GM's statements on to the ice. It wasn't funny. It's publicity to the sport, but it just wasn't funny. I don't know why TSN gave it the light of day.

the_hound
01-29-2007, 09:55 AM
I seen the episode of Colbert telling spirit fans to throw GM's statements on to the ice. It wasn't funny. It's publicity to the sport, but it just wasn't funny. I don't know why TSN gave it the light of day.

uh-oh, here I was under the impression that I DID find that funny, only to find out it wasn't. Man do I feel foolish. :confused:

rubecube
01-29-2007, 09:57 AM
uh-oh, here I was under the impression that I DID find that funny, only to find out it wasn't. Man do I feel foolish. :confused:

It didn't have a fart joke in it...

Barnes
01-29-2007, 10:02 AM
It didn't have a fart joke in it...

TSN should only report on things that are funny as per Fleury.:bang:

the_hound
01-29-2007, 10:03 AM
TSN should only report on things that are funny.:bang:

Then we could have more sports on Comedy Central ! :D

Dedly
01-29-2007, 10:04 AM

But he seen it. He seen it!!

bluejays
01-29-2007, 10:18 AM
C'mon! Did you guys honestly find it amusing? With the TSN thing, it just wasn't newsworthy enough to make it a story IMO...they're reporting on an apparent "joke".

It wasn't even good for a 2 second chuckle though.

Hack&Lube
01-29-2007, 10:44 AM
C'mon! Did you guys honestly find it amusing? With the TSN thing, it just wasn't newsworthy enough to make it a story IMO...they're reporting on an apparent "joke".

It wasn't even good for a 2 second chuckle though.

Somehow I think you don't watch the show. You have to understand this in the context of the show where he does this sort of thing often. It's a parody of over the top news media personalities. I guess you just don't get it. It's not supposed to be "funny funny". Also Colbert is probably more highly rated and watched by more college age students than many sports. This is Ontario Major Junior Hockey getting exposure on one of the most talked about and watched late-night shows in the U.S.

Most of the time, Colbert is not especially funny but it's always entertaining and mildly intellectual.

rubecube
01-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Somehow I think you don't watch the show. You have to understand this in the context of the show where he does this sort of thing often.

No, it's just an example of wit and exaggeration. AKA Tongue-in-cheek. Clearly not funny. ;)

bluejays
01-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Somehow I think you don't watch the show. You have to understand this in the context of the show where he does this sort of thing often.

Honestly, I've watched the show probably a solid 15 times. I understand his gig. I just never found this one funny. I thought he was pretty good on his interviews when he was with John Stewart, but his own show is somewhat bland with too many political pun undertones geared toward polisci majors. His interviews are gold, but his desk jokes...not so much.

Hack&Lube
01-29-2007, 11:16 AM
I don't think his desk jokes are neccessarily intended to be punch-line jokes. The entire show is afterall a parody of political shows so I have no problem with the puns. Politics is a much bigger thing in the U.S. If you want more mainstream jokes, tune into Stewart.

Colbert has good segments though, like "cooking with feminists" where Jane Fonda, etc. came to do an interview about feminism and they end up baking an apple pie and kissing him.

And in the Shredding Competition, Henry Kissinger called in a few times to say: "it's time to rock!!!"

ericschand
01-29-2007, 11:29 AM
The one thing the articles about this keep leaving out is, did anyone
actually toss a GM Annual Report on the ice?

ers

Iowa_Flames_Fan
01-29-2007, 11:57 AM

ers

Now that would be funny.

Though I'll admit--I found it funny when I first saw it on Colbert. So I beg to differ. GM Annual reports being thrown on the ice is very, very funny.

Hemi-Cuda
01-29-2007, 12:27 PM
i'll also add in that i thought it was very funny. Colbert rocks, and the fact that his show is becomming so interactive between him and his fans is awesome. the green screen challenge is still one of the best things that was on TV last year

Phaneuf3
01-29-2007, 12:32 PM
http://ctvbroadcast.ctv.ca/video/2007/01/27/ctvvideologger2_500kbps_2007_01_27_1169955153.wmv

coverage starts at about 2:20. if you don't find any of this the least bit amusing you have no sense of humor.

TurnedTheCorner
01-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Casual viewers would not find this funny unless they understood why a Teddy Bear toss would seem like such an affront to Colbert. Don't worry about it - it was funny. I'm glad he won the bet, too!

Phaneuf3, thanks for the link! I hadn't seen the followup report. :w00t:

Mike F
01-29-2007, 12:44 PM

ers
If you watch the CTV broadcast linked to above you'll see that some fans did indeed throw GM Annual Reports on the ice.

Hemi-Cuda
01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Casual viewers would not find this funny unless they understood why a Teddy Bear toss would seem like such an affront to Colbert. Don't worry about it - it was funny. I'm glad he won the bet, too!

Phaneuf3, thanks for the link! I hadn't seen the followup report. :w00t:

i don't see how anyone could not be offended by the practice of throwing stuffed godless killing machines on the ice

the_hound
01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
i don't see how anyone could not be offended by the practice of throwing stuffed godless killing machines on the ice

Does that mean they've moved up on "the list" ? :eek:

ernie
01-29-2007, 02:02 PM

Godless killing machines without souls

Bobblehead
03-20-2007, 06:00 PM
BTW - today in Oshawa it is Stephen Colbert Day. :D

Flames89
03-20-2007, 08:52 PM
I like how half of this thread is explaining to Fleury why Cobert is funny.

Me - I thought it was funny, and find his show funny.

How misguided I have been ...