PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Room Discussion - GEORGES W's PLANS

jzA
01-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Just some food for thought here...

I was talking to some of the fella's this day in the coffee shop and one guy said he heard bush is trying to get the price of oil down to something like 24 dollars a barrel by next year, in an attempt to try to screw iran over so they dont have money to fund all their nuclear activities.

Im not saying this is a e4 or anything but honestly it seems to be kind of an interesting point. I was told by a few guys that after break up, they expect the oil patch to SLOW right down and jobs may not be avaliable.

This could spell bad times for not only alberta but the world.

Indi
01-28-2007, 11:10 PM
hhmmm, funny considering the states has absolutely no control over the price of oil anymore....their taps are a runnin dry!

V
01-29-2007, 12:38 AM
SELL EVERYTHING YOU OWN!!!!

To me. At a 30% discount.

jar_e
01-29-2007, 04:32 AM
I don't think Bush (or more appropiately, the US) has that much economic power to affect a globally used resource. Even if he did, to drop the price per barrel by more than half in approximately a year would be near impossible...interesting thought though.

Looger
01-29-2007, 07:37 AM
didn't henry kissinger in the 1970s get OPEC to agree to sell all their oil in dollars?

seems like a lot of power to me.

also OPEC had a major hand in america's invasion of iraq, it came out later that despite saudi arabia's public opposition to the action their military was helping out behind the scenes with intelligence etc.

and who was in there like a dirty shirt right away in baghdad?

OPEC.

none of these decisions or movements are ONE man's decision, there's always a whole bunch of interests involved.

Hack&Lube
01-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Bush is just about out of options. He's a lame duck President at the end of his term with Congress outnumbering him. I don't think he can accomplish anything drastic to push down the price of oil aside from opening all the American reserves. I doubt Congress will let him do that.

Iran has decades more to build nuclear technology. The reserves can't last that long.

Bush is pretty helpless, he's screwed up, and he knows it. Even this troop "surge" is only bringing soldiers back to the level they were 2 years ago. And it won't work also.

Iowa_Flames_Fan
01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm as fond of bashing Bush as the next guy. But let's face it: it's not as if Bush rolls out of bed at 10 AM, walks down to the Oval Office, and over a cup of coffee says "I wonder what we should make Oil prices be today...."

His actions can be one of many factors affecting oil prices. But supply is a much more important factor, and unless you're sitting on a few million barrels in your basement, I doubt that prices are going to crash any time soon.

La Flames Fan
01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
I think there was a National Geographic a couple years ago, or some article, saying it was essentially the end of cheap oil. With turbulence in the Middle East, the cartel like attitude of OPEC and an ever growing demand for the stuff made it almost impossible to reach the low price levels that we were so wonderfullly used to.

Azure
01-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Good thing we\'re sitting on a few trillion barrels here in Alberta, eh?

Slava
01-29-2007, 03:22 PM
If only Bush could stop the demand in China and India somehow....