PDA

View Full Version : Tories to launch TV ad campaign against Dion, during Superbowl & High Impact Times

RedHot25
01-28-2007, 09:12 AM
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20070127% 2ftory_ads_070127&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&showbyline=True

Election anytime? Or is it because, as the Tories purport, Dion is getting a "free ride"?

Party insiders say the Conservatives will buy TV spots during the Super Bowl and other prime time slots for maximum impact. They stress the ads are not part of a strategy to force an early election.

Sources say the party is concerned that Dion is getting a free ride from the mainstream media and the Tories want to go over the heads of the national media in Ottawa to reach ordinary Canadians.

The ads -- which party officials showed to the Conservative caucus on Friday -- cast doubt on Dion's environmental credentials and leadership abilities, according to sources that have seen them.

Flames in 07
01-28-2007, 09:33 AM
It's only fair. The difference is that the torries have to pay for their advertising. CBC and G&M do it for the liberals for free.

Flame On
01-28-2007, 12:49 PM
It's only fair. The difference is that the torries have to pay for their advertising. CBC and G&M do it for the liberals for free.
And the torries get it in the Sun rag I mean news paper.
Other than that a very clever point.

Maritime Q-Scout
01-28-2007, 01:34 PM
like seriously, why do this? This will only hurt Harper's popularity, especially in a city like Calgary

Why diss Phaneuf like that? What did Dion ever do to him? LOL

Stranger
01-28-2007, 09:13 PM

Isn't that the truth.

Devils'Advocate
01-29-2007, 05:59 AM
What I find humorous is that the attack ads are saying that Dion "didn't get it done" on the environment when he was environment minister.

However, John Bairds version of "getting it done" is to re-instate all of the programs that Dion already had in place that the Conservatives cancelled.

So either Harper doesn't believe their new environment package should be considered "getting it done" or Dion really did do a good job as environment minister.

As an NDP/Green voter, I don't think either party is "getting it done". I bashed the Liberals time and again for introducing token measures (1 tonne challenge), talking a lot about the environment but doing very little. However, after looking at Bairds proposals I think it very hipocritical for the Conservatives to attack Dions performance as environment minister.

mykalberta
01-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Dion's reaction on the one I saw - I cant exactly remember what he said, but it was priceless.

The simple fact is the Libs had 10 years, they could have instituted those programs at any time, they decided to do it under a minorty govt with Paul Martin and it was axed, re-packaged and re-released.

All parties suck on the enviro because its an issue you could throw endless dollars at it, the problem being what gets cut to throw that money at it.

MYK

Slava
01-29-2007, 11:12 AM
The problem with the environmental issue is that the government only wants to do enough to get elected, not enough to actually correct things or make enough of a change.

Dion might not have gotten things done, but I don't think that anyone in the CPC is going to be the guy to get things done either! That is just the fox guarding the henhouse.

George W...oh I mean Stephen Harper is just trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes with some cleverly edited sound bites from leadership debates (which is pretty cheap in the first place!). I hope that it doesn;t work.

Bobblehead
01-29-2007, 11:14 AM
I just wish they wouldn't start campaigning until there is an actual election called. We'll get enough of this crap at that point in time.

Hack&Lube
01-29-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't know about you guys, but the only reason I'm tuning into the Superbowl is to watch the half-time with Prince.

CaptainCrunch
01-29-2007, 11:46 AM
The problem with the environmental issue is that the government only wants to do enough to get elected, not enough to actually correct things or make enough of a change.

sure thats a give me, but you have to give some credit, the conservatives have done a decent job in moving thier platform points to reality in the first year. The Environmental issue for the Conservatives is a burning tree issue, but they've only been in power for a year, so its really tough to judge thier environmental platform to its full extent.

Dion might not have gotten things done, but I don't think that anyone in the CPC is going to be the guy to get things done either! That is just the fox guarding the henhouse.

True, it just makes me laugh that Dion is heralding himself as such an environmentally friendly guy, but his track record shows that the Environment was really the furthest thing from his mind. But at least he got a good name for his dog.

George W...oh I mean Stephen Harper is just trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes with some cleverly edited sound bites from leadership debates (which is pretty cheap in the first place!). I hope that it doesn;t work.

Yup the typical shot at Harper, by calling him George W.. The Conservatives didn't have to do much editing on the sound bites that they used in thier commercials, Dion and his stupid statements about Priorities made him look foolish both at the debate and now several month later. Dion is really not prime minister material. He's already put the West on alert, he's a failure on the environment, maybe not from ideas, but from implementation. And come election time the Conservatives are going to flay the Liverals on allowing two scandal ridden banned members back into the party. I think the Liberal's really chose the wrong guy.

rubecube
01-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Just another reason to watch the American feed for Superbowl.

Slava
01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I think that there could've been better choices for the Liberals for their leader, but realistically what has a PM from Calgary given to the west so far? "The west wants in" was the rallying cry, but since then all Harper has really done is try to placate voters and buy constituencies out east.

Now the conservatives come back with environmental plans and talk of making this a priority, by implementing the same policies that they have already cut and cancelled, only to a lesser degree.

Flames in 07
01-29-2007, 07:54 PM

Well, the sad truth is that people are looking for the gov't to solve on the problems. That is hard as he//. The difference is that the liberals played the populist card, signed up for Kyoto, which a) was impossible for Canada to participate in, and b) did not remove an ounce of pollution from the planet. Someone had to come in afterwards and clean Cretien's mess. PC or Liberal, someone had to scrap it. They had no choice.

And I'm sick of people equating Bush to Harper ... just an obvious smodescreen to create a PC boogeyman, that diverts attention from Liberal ineffectiveness.

MarchHare
01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Whoa...waitaminute here! Didn't the Conservatives run an attack ad against the Liberals in the last election that basicly amounted to "don't vote for the Liberals because they're going to use negative attacks ads against us"?

And now they're running an attack ad of their own before an election is even called? Is this Bizarro World?

Flames in 07
01-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Whoa...waitaminute here! Didn't the Conservatives run an attack ad against the Liberals in the last election that basicly amounted to "don't vote for the Liberals because they're going to use negative attacks ads against us"?

And now they're running an attack ad of their own before an election is even called? Is this Bizarro World?

I know, I'm not in favour of them, but it must be frustrating dealing with pro liberal media in Ontario.

Slava
01-29-2007, 09:18 PM
No more frustrating or irritating than the always pro-conservative media out here.

peter12
01-29-2007, 09:38 PM
They are being posted on youtube already. Pretty tame and fair stuff as far as I am concerned. Genious of them to put up clips of fellow Liberals criticizing Dion instead of Conservative criticisms.
Harper is no fool, the rise of Canadian conservatism coincides with the Liberal infighting post 2000. Along with the Khan defection, he's just beginning to hammer that chink wide open before the campaign even starts.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cpcpcc

Thunderball
01-29-2007, 09:56 PM
The environment one and the leadership one are good... the back to power one is pretty weak. I agree with Peter... genius to use Liberals attacking Dion rather than Harper or someone else.

Devils'Advocate
01-30-2007, 05:32 AM
I know, I'm not in favour of them, but it must be frustrating dealing with pro liberal media in Ontario.

What pro-liberal media in Ontario? Here in Ottawa we have the Citizen (owned by same parent group as National Post) and the Ottawa Sun. I subscribe to neither because I don't like to start my day seething at ridiculous rants by Ezra Lavant or Peter Worthington. To what exactly are you referring? TVO?!?

Caged Great
01-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Wow, those commercials are about as ######ed as the ones the Liberals ran before the election if not moreso.

peter12
01-30-2007, 07:49 AM
What pro-liberal media in Ontario? Here in Ottawa we have the Citizen (owned by same parent group as National Post) and the Ottawa Sun. I subscribe to neither because I don't like to start my day seething at ridiculous rants by Ezra Lavant or Peter Worthington. To what exactly are you referring? TVO?!?

How about the newspaper with the largest subscription base in Canada... that Trudeau ass kissing rag, the Toronto Star?

Slava
01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
I don't think you have to look too far to find the media bias here in Calgary. Buried back in the paper today is the story of how another one of Harpers cronies got a job appointment. If that was a Liberal it would be front page news, along with a headline of "Friends in High Places Indeed!!" or something equally ridiculous.

mykalberta
01-30-2007, 10:14 AM

Why is using sound bites from an leadership debate that happened less than a year ago cheap. Durring the last election, Harper's thesis from the UofC was used by the Liberals - and that was over 10 years old.

MYK

mykalberta
01-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Just another reason to watch the American feed for Superbowl.

Agreed - not that I dont want to see a plethora of Vonage and Canadian Tire adds :)

MYK

RedHot25
01-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Ooops....

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/national/070129/n012985A.html

Conservative attack ads fired at Liberal Leader Stephane Dion may end up sideswiping the ruling party after questions were raised about possible breach of copyright laws. The television ads, which began airing Monday, use footage from last fall's Liberal leadership debates to deliver the message that the new Grit leader is weak, indecisive and an environmental failure. But that footage belongs to a consortium of TV networks which pooled their resources to provide live coverage of the debates. The Cable Public Affairs Channel provided the pool camera for each debate.
The networks are now looking into how the Conservatives obtained the debate footage for their ads.
CPAC anchor Peter Van Dusen said Monday that any outside use of debate video would have to be approved by all pool members. Moreover, he said such video is traditionally never authorized for use by political parties.