PDA

View Full Version : Custom Jerseys?

FireFly
01-26-2007, 11:00 PM
So here's the question... I received some money for Christmas to get my jersey customized, and I think I've decided to put my own name on the back.

Reasoning:

I'm a big fan. I live Flames year-round, I have a horn, I tattoo my face, I wear a wig during playoffs. I'm pretty hardcore, and feel like I'm part of the team. I feel I deserve my own Flames jersey.

Also, I don't know who I'd want on my jersey that's on the team. I don't want an Iginla or Phaneuf or Kipper like everyone else. And God knows, I'd go and get Regehr 2.0 and he'd get traded, or whatever. Players come and players go, but I'm a Flames fan for life.

So, what do you think? Should fans be able to customize their own jersey to put their own name on the back? Do you hate it when they do that?

flames_fan13
01-26-2007, 11:19 PM
I think if a fan wanted to put their name on the back of their jersey than they should. They paid for it so they should be able to put whatever they want on it. And as a fan you cheer for the symobl on the front of the jersey not the name in the back.

Plus if god forbid someone steals it or you lose it, you have a way to know it's yours and not someone elses.

Burninator
01-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Hey, I got the samething for Christmas. However I think I am going to go the Phaneuf route myself. I've never been of fan of people putting their own names on the back, but I wouldn't stop them. Heck some people put "Red Mile" or "Drunk" with the number one below it. Whatever makes you happy.

It does bite when the player on your jersey gets traded and your stuck with McAmmond or someone else on the back.

What about saving your money for when the new jersery styles come out? (whenever that is suppose to be)

FireFly
01-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Hey, I got the samething for Christmas. However I think I am going to go the Phaneuf route myself. I've never been of fan of people putting their own names on the back, but I wouldn't stop them. Heck some people put "Red Mile" or "Drunk" with the number one below it. Whatever makes you happy.

It does bite when the player on your jersey gets traded and your stuck with McAmmond or someone else on the back.

What about saving your money for when the new jersery styles come out? (whenever that is suppose to be)

Oh, I'm going to buy a new jersey as well, so that's not the issue. The money is for lettering. I have a cool last name, and I'd pick a number that isn't in use right now. (My brother uses 66, and I like it.)

Wookie
01-26-2007, 11:24 PM
I vote for no it's tacky and cheesy, sorry, and also no you're not on the team..

Couldn't vote since it is not one of the options.

Also went looking for an article on it, swearing I've seen one about hockey but couldn't find it.

However found this section from a baseball one

3.) Your Own Name isn’t Cool – We’ve already touched on the fact that first names don’t belong on a jersey, so now we’ll take that the next step – never put your own name on a baseball jersey period. The only time this is acceptable is if your last name happens to be shared with a player and onlookers won’t know the difference. If your name is John Oberkfell, then this may be the one time that actually comes in handy.
It’s your jersey and your money, so ultimately you can stitch whatever name you’d like on it, but please know that if you do go with your own name, you might as well be holding a sign that reads “I’m a dork” in front of 40,000 other fans in the stadium.
As a fan, the most you are granted in my book is the right to occasionally throw out the word “we” when referencing the Cardinals and that’s only legal after 20 years of uninterrupted fanaticism. Your gameday attire is no place to live out your life long fantasies.

Although in the end, I don't really care, just personally would never do it.. I'm not a fan of Jersey's either.. never have bought/worn one.. never will.

Jiggy_12
01-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Don't like it. Never have liked it, never will.

FireFly
01-26-2007, 11:29 PM
I vote for no it's tacky and cheesy, sorry, and also no you're not on the team..

Couldn't vote since it is not one of the options.

Also went looking for an article on it, swearing I've seen one about hockey but couldn't find it.

However found this section from a baseball one

Although in the end, I don't really care, just personally would never do it.. I'm not a fan of Jersey's either.. never have bought/worn one.. never will.

Just for that I'll get one that says Wookie. :ph34r:

Inferno
01-26-2007, 11:30 PM
You should be able to if you want to. I used to when I was a kid but now I wouldnt for pretty much the reason Wookie gave.

Wookie
01-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Just for that I'll get one that says Wookie. :ph34r:

lol, sorry, I can't help it. It just seems so . . . so. . . lame . . .

I can't back it up with any reasoning.. I think I've tried before, this certainly isn't a new topic.

And, while I'm on the topic of being lame, I'd like to add that I'm responding/reading this thread on a Friday night because I'm getting sick and wanted to stay home :bag:

FireFly
01-26-2007, 11:41 PM
lol, sorry, I can't help it. It just seems so . . . so. . . lame . . .

I can't back it up with any reasoning.. I think I've tried before, this certainly isn't a new topic.

And, while I'm on the topic of being lame, I'd like to add that I'm responding/reading this thread on a Friday night because I'm getting sick and wanted to stay home :bag:

What if a person works/volunteers for the Flames organization?

Wookie
01-26-2007, 11:41 PM
What if a person works/volunteers for the Flames organization?

Almost worse :whistle:

Nah, but you got to put in a lot of hours, and the team has to present it to you on the ice before a game!

Edit: and you have to be a cute senior who can be excused for not knowing better

Prototype
01-26-2007, 11:44 PM
I got Yelle on my jersey, not only cause he's an awesome player, but because if he ever gets traded or signs with someone else, I have no problems pulling his name off and putting mine on.

I'm pretty sure must of us were saying 'I cheer for the logo on the front, not the name on the back'. Do what you want, just don't put a player that's never played for the team (ala 99 PHO) or a player from the past on the new jersey (9).

Ducay
01-26-2007, 11:46 PM
How about getting it with something along the lines of:
-Iggy
-Dome w/ Jarome
-"The Dion"
-Dion
-Kipper
-Mikka
-Flames Fan
-Sutter
-Fleury :ph34r:
-Juice

For the most part these ones are good and somewhat original (rather than just having the real last name like 100000 others)

Wookie
01-26-2007, 11:48 PM
How about getting it with something along the lines of:
-Iggy
-Dome w/ Jarome
-"The Dion"
-Dion
-Kipper
-Mikka
-Flames Fan
-Sutter
-Fleury :ph34r:
-Juice

For the most part these ones are good and somewhat original (rather than just having the real last name like 100000 others)

This one I don't have an opinion on.. However from the same stuff I got the above writings

4.) Clever Names Aren’t Clever – When you take a jersey out into a stadium that is partially filled with beer drinking monkeys, as any baseball stadium is, you’re bound to run into a tough crowd. It’s precisely this reason that going the humorous route is not a good move when finishing your uniform.
Trying names like “Your Daddy” and “JimmyLegs” on the back of your jersey is guaranteed to rile up the people who don’t like their precious team’s uniforms messed with. Deservedly so.
One reason for this phenomenon is that a general lack of conformity is bound to rub some people the wrong way; it’s tough to please a whole stadium full of different personalities. The main reason however is that 90% of the time you think you’re putting something funny on your jersey, you’re wrong.
Either you’ll realize when you get mocked at the stadium by people cheering for the same team as you, or a few years later when you figure out that you ruined a perfectly good jersey because one day you thought stitching “Pull Ho’s” on the back of it would be sweet.

5.) Clever Numbers Aren’t Clever Either – If you put number 69 on a shirt of any kind, softball jersey, rec soccer shirt, $150 Cardinals button down, you are a complete loser. Same goes with 420, 311 and any other number that you think is going to be cool.

Cube Inmate
01-27-2007, 12:16 AM
FireFly: I'm similarly confused. I wouldn't put my own name on a jersey, but I don't like the idea of choosing a current player's name because:

a) It seems wrong to be seen "idolizing" someone who's earning millions of $$ more than me simply because he's a genetically gifted S.O.B.
b) Any player is likely to be playing for another team when all is said and done, and
c) There's something lame about a grown man wearing the name of another grown man on his back, especially if the player with the name happens to be younger than the man wearing the jersey. A middle-aged man in a Phaneuf jersey creeps me out.

So, I'm currently un-numbered. Look forward to seeing if the answer comes out of this thread.

J pold
01-27-2007, 12:41 AM
I am with the chick magnet himself on this one, to me the only that looks worse on a Jersey is a players name from another team, like the guy with the leafs Jersey with Iginla

Sainters7
01-27-2007, 01:42 AM
I say no. Im all about realism, I think it looks gay with your own name on there. I have an old New Orleans Saints jersey I got when I was about 14 with my own last name on the back. I'm too embarassed to wear it now. One time I sucked it up and wore it to class last year, and my buddy said "Oh, who is that?". I said "Oh...uh...thats uh...me". He was like "...oh...".

I dunno thats just me though, I need it to be real. I just bought an 80's Flames jersey with Nieuwendyk on the back. I wanted to get the "C" on there, but I noticed it has the 1989 Stanley Cup Finals patch on the shoulder. Since he wasnt the captain back then, I didnt get the C.

Some people dont mind though. I live in Edmonton and I got a buddy that has an old school 80s Oilers blue jersey, and he just got the 2006 Stanley Cup Finals patch on it. Plus he just got a Gretzky Oilers new third jersey. I think both of those are lame as hell. But hey, its your money, whatever floats your boat.

PS- I laughed at that rule about jerseys being #69. I agree entirely. Unless you're a drunken fratboy, its not funny. Actually even then its not funny, just more excusable.

Weiser Wonder
01-27-2007, 03:33 AM
I voted yes. Supporting a team is supposed to be fun. I don't hold a hockey team to be a sacred thing and don't find problems with people who want to put their name on the jersey.

Maritime Q-Scout
01-27-2007, 08:01 AM
I got my Cape Breton Eagles jersey crested "Fleury 29" while obviously Marc-Andre Fleury no longer plays on the team, I like to think of it as a tie to one of the greats to go through our organization, my favourite player to play on the team, and I do think there's something cool about having a former player on your jersey.

If he was traded probably less so, however once they retire (or in the case of junior, become senior) it's neat to have the old player's name crested.

Daradon
01-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Of course

If it looks that dumb, people will point it out. ;)

Maritime Q-Scout
01-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Which is why you shouldn't wear a jersey at all. You don't go to a movie dressed as chewbacca to watch star wars

you sure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bskepk8qyiU

FireFly
01-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I didn't expect the poll to be so nicely split. Looks like there are a lot of differing opinions on the matter.

PYroMaNiaC
01-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I think it's fine. It's your jersey, your gift, and you celebrate the Flames in your own unique way. You do what you want.

P.S. I'd never be embarrassed to be seen at a game with you, because I'm usually making a spectacle of myself right beside you! Good Times!!

tvp2003
01-27-2007, 10:20 AM
As a kid, it seemed cooler to have your own name on your jersey... obviously, it's a mixed view once yout get older. However, it's your jersey, so if you want to put your own name on it, then why the hell not. If someone else thinks its lame, then too freaking bad for them :)

However, since it's probably the last year for this style of jersey (and you're probably getting a new one), I wouldn't worry about getting an actual player's name and number because even if the player gets traded a few years from now, the jersey is still current because the player still played on the team when that jersey was in use (if that makes sense)...

Agreed, no old players on new jerseys (Lanny), players who never played here (Gretzky), and stupid names and/or numbers ("Cool Guy", "69")

tvp2003
01-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Which is why you shouldn't wear a jersey at all. You don't go to a movie dressed as chewbacca to watch star wars why try and look like a hockey player.:bag:

Tell that to the 10,000 people who show up at the Dome wearing Flames jerseys :D

Besides, wearing a jersey to the game is cool... wearing a helmet and shoulder pads however... :whistle:

PowerPlayoffs06
01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Personally, I wont put my own name on a Flames Jersey, but I do have it on my Team Canada Jersey.

CaramonLS
01-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Not a big fan of it, I'd never do it.

But "allowed to do it", of course you should be allowed to do it. Put whatever the heck you want on it.

Dion
01-27-2007, 10:52 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/Happy1958/oilers_suck.jpg

Julio
01-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Not something I've ever done with the jersies I own, but people can do it...
What gets me is when peope cheap out and get a name/number put on a jersey that isn't the colour scheme/font that the team uses.

habernac
01-27-2007, 12:27 PM
add me to the list of people who think it's lame. If you've never played a game for them, you don't deserve to have your last name on the back.

Reggie Dunlop
01-27-2007, 12:44 PM
add me to the list of people who think it's lame. If you've never played a game for them, you don't deserve to have your last name on the back.

Teams themselves do it all the time. Celebrities, dignitaries... any excuse for a publicity photo.

Whatever's your bag.

Eastern Girl
01-27-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't like the idea personally, but who cares? If you want to put your own name on it, then go for it.

SpitFire40
01-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Ugh, big no from me... but it's your money.

Thunderball
01-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Nothing is more of a ****-off than getting a lettered jersey of a former flame... big waste of $200. Who wants to wear a Morris or Fleury jersey anymore?

Get your name, at least you're not going to be obsolete any time soon...

StoneCole
01-27-2007, 02:23 PM
"Colt

45 "

or

"B-Four

4 "

Custom "clever" names are the way to go (in spite of what someone said earlier)

Why not an Iginla or Kipper? Sure everyone has one...but there's a pretty good reason why. If you wanna' be unique, any red Flames jersey isn't doing it in this town.

Winsor_Pilates
01-27-2007, 02:38 PM
I voted yes because it's your money, and I agree that a true fan is part of the team.
However, I also think it's lame and the funny ones are even lamer IMO.

Engine09
01-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Had a thread about this very subject a few months ago.

Add me to the list of people who think it's borderline homosexual to have another man's name on your back. It's not for me anyways.

Oh wait, someone has already nailed it. Couldn't have said it better.

a) It seems wrong to be seen "idolizing" someone who's earning millions of $$ more than me simply because he's a genetically gifted S.O.B.
b) Any player is likely to be playing for another team when all is said and done, and
c) There's something lame about a grown man wearing the name of another grown man on his back, especially if the player with the name happens to be younger than the man wearing the jersey. A middle-aged man in a Phaneuf jersey creeps me out.

Prototype
01-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Seriously... it's your money. You won't go to jail. The jersey police does not exist... YET... If you want to wear this jersey for years without the fear of trades of free agency... by all means put your name on it.

As for it being homosexual... if enjoying the on ice play of a man I am not physically attracted to, which I decided to put on a jersey and wear at various Flames games, and while watching from the compfort of my MAN ROOM makes me homosexual for Stephane Yelle... I guess I'm a happily married to an awesome woman homosexual.

CMPunk
01-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Seriously... it's your money. You won't go to jail. The jersey police does not exist... YET... If you want to wear this jersey for years without the fear of trades of free agency... by all means put your name on it.

As for it being homosexual... if enjoying the on ice play of a man I am not physically attracted to, which I decided to put on a jersey and wear at various Flames games, and while watching from the compfort of my MAN ROOM makes me homosexual for Stephane Yelle... I guess I'm a happily married to an awesome woman homosexual.

I dunno, you have quite the man crush on him. I've seen you get giddy at the mere mention of his name.

burn_baby_burn
01-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Its something that I woudn't do myself. But it is a free country. Not cool? Who cares! If you want to do it go ahead. I actually get a kick out some of the customized jerseys you see at the Dome. "Ozzy" 666, "Oilers Suck", things like that.

Philly06Cup
01-27-2007, 03:52 PM
I agree that Custom names are lame.
Getting your own name is also fruity.
If you get a player's name, while it may be cool now, you always run the risk of that player leaving and you looking like a tool -- look at anyone with an Oliwa jersey.

However; if we are assume that Iginla will retire as a Flame, getting his jersey wouldn't be so bad, because he has meant so much to the team / city. Although it seems really commonplace, if you ever go vacation outside of Calgary and/or Canada, then everyone will marvel at your Iginla jersey.

My Flames Jersey has no lettering. I've always maintained though, that if the Flames win the cup, I will get mine lettered to whoever scored the Cup-clinching goal. If freaking Jeff Friesen scores the Cup-winning goal, goddamnit, I'll letter my jersey with his name.

evman150
01-27-2007, 05:05 PM
If you get a player's name, while it may be cool now, you always run the risk of that player leaving and you looking like a tool -- look at anyone with an Oliwa jersey.

I've never understood this thinking.

Why does the guy look like a tool? I don't agree with that at all. If I saw a guy with an Oliwa jersey, I'd be thinking "wow cool jersey", not "what a loser".

Getting your own name, or some novelty name, now that's "what a loser" worthy.

Sainters7
01-27-2007, 08:11 PM
I agree that Custom names are lame.
Getting your own name is also fruity.

However; if we are assume that Iginla will retire as a Flame, getting his jersey wouldn't be so bad, because he has meant so much to the team / city. Although it seems really commonplace, if you ever go vacation outside of Calgary and/or Canada, then everyone will marvel at your Iginla jersey.

My Flames Jersey has no lettering. I've always maintained though, that if the Flames win the cup, I will get mine lettered to whoever scored the Cup-clinching goal. If freaking Jeff Friesen scores the Cup-winning goal, goddamnit, I'll letter my jersey with his name.

I dont think Oliwa's so bad. I know what you're sayin though, I have a Trevor Kidd jersey from 95 and I get bugged whenever I wear it(which is never in the past 6 years, but I used to). Guys like an Oilers Comrie jersey or Pronger jersey would fall in this category as well. So I do agree with what youre sayin. Thats why you have to go with someone safe, like Yelle. Even if he does get traded, everyone will still love Yeller here.

moon
01-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Not a big fan of it, I'd never do it.

But "allowed to do it", of course you should be allowed to do it. Put whatever the heck you want on it.

Agree.

Of course you should be allowed to do it, but should you do it no.

icarus
01-27-2007, 11:11 PM
I personally think if you are going to customise a jersey put something good on it, like "Oilers Suck" or "The Dion" or "He Hate Me", but your own name is a bit lame.

The exception is if a player on your favourite team shares your surname, which is why I have a Carson Palmer Bengals jersey.

Maritime Q-Scout
01-28-2007, 12:09 AM
I personally think if you are going to customise a jersey put something good on it, like "Oilers Suck" or "The Dion" or "He Hate Me", but your own name is a bit lame.

The exception is if a player on your favourite team shares your surname, which is why I have a Carson Palmer Bengals jersey.

Yep I agree, I'd get a Texas Rangers Danny Patterson jersey in a heart beat, beacuse well surname is the same and my favourite baseball team.

He doesn't play for them anymore but still, I'd get it done.

Sainters7
01-28-2007, 12:18 AM
I totally dont agree with the last name on the back, but I agree with what alot of people are sayin, in that its your jersey, you can do what you want with it. However, if underneath your name, you chose #69, then you sir are a dumbass.

Antithesis
01-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Of course you should be able to do whatever you want with the back of your jersey, I personally would probably just leave it blank, but that's just me.