PDA

View Full Version : Cam Ward Nickelback Mask

Deelow
01-26-2007, 11:06 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/326069474_495fa03be2.jpg?v=0
This is good for a laugh...Looks like Maclennan isn't the only one. Must be something in the Edmonton water. LAME

www.nickelback.com (http://www.nickelback.com)

It's at the bottom. The website isn't user friendly.

snappyk
01-26-2007, 11:08 AM
I hate nickleback.

Prototype
01-26-2007, 11:57 AM
I love the history of the goalie mask, but I think that it's an honor to be put on a mask that Nickelback doesn't deserve. Alas, the honor itself is in the eye of the owner, and if Cam Ward, whom I respected so much more until seeing those pictures, wants the pride of Hanna on his head for 60 minutes a night, so be it.

I wouldn't put them on there tho.

BlackArcher101
01-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Who cares if you guys don't think he should have it on there or not. Obviously he's a fan and it's his mask to do whatever he wishes. I hate KISS, but you don't see me complaining about them on masks.

It's like everyone on this forum is waiting with anticipation for the next nickelback reference so they can complain about the band further. We get it, you don't like Nickelback.

Prototype
01-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Who cares if you guys don't think he should have it on there or not. Obviously he's a fan and it's his mask to do whatever he wishes. I hate KISS, but you don't see me complaining about them on masks.

It's like everyone on this forum is waiting with anticipation for the next nickelback reference so they can complain about the band further. We get it, you don't like Nickelback.

What's your point? :w00t:

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
We get it, you don't like Nickelback.

No kidding huh? Seems it is cooler these days to hate them, than to like them.

For the record (like the pun? - worked better before CD's), I like Nickelback. Always have. Then again, I don't listen to Canadian radio, so I don't hear them every second song either.

Prototype
01-26-2007, 12:51 PM
This isn't about hating Nickelback... it's about hating the Nickelback mask of Cam Ward. Not everything has to be about hating Nickelback on this board. :)

BlackArcher101
01-26-2007, 01:03 PM
This isn't about hating Nickelback... it's about hating the Nickelback mask of Cam Ward. Not everything has to be about hating Nickelback on this board. :)

It's CP.... can't have nickelback mentioned in a thread and the thread stay on track. It's inevitable that nickelback hated will show.

Igottago
01-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Hockey players are notorious for having bad taste in music, so it doesn't suprise me.

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 01:05 PM
It's CP.... can't have nickelback mentioned in a thread and the thread stay on track. It's inevitable that nickelback hated will show.

Hockey players are notorious for having bad taste in music, so it doesn't suprise me.

See.

Deelow
01-26-2007, 01:05 PM
That is because they have better things to do than become music snobs.

Prototype
01-26-2007, 01:08 PM

I understand that... I'm not trying to discount that. But the thread should be about Cam Ward's mask, which happens to have Nickelback on it. It should be about what you think about the mask. If your dispise for Nickelback sways your opinion about the mask, so be it, but the thread should not be derailed to a 'I hate Nickelback' thread.

RougeUnderoos
01-26-2007, 01:24 PM
It's got a real goofy "fanboyishness" to it. Maybe a band logo or even the name is acceptable (but still kind of lame), but look at those portraits of the guys in the band on that mask. Especially that one at the bottom, the romantic black and white one of the drummer hugging his sticks and staring out with bedroom eyes. It's like something a teenage girl would swoon over, cut it out of Tiger Beat and put in her locker.

The real-world equivalent would be a grown man putting a framed picture of Ricky Martin on the desk in his office.

EDIT: I didn't even see those pictures from that terrible Nickelback site before writing all that. Now I can say without a doubt it's the worst mask in the history of mask painting and he should be ashamed of himself. I wonder how the conversation with the artist went. "Yeah, umm, I want 5 dramatic portraits of the guys from Nickelback on there with two of Chad, the name of the band on both sides and their latest album cover on the back. I also want my bad nickname spelled out in reflective English script on the chin, a Stanley cup, a glittering cross, a banner with my grandpa's name on it, my number and a a big Hurricanes logo. Can you do it"?

Igottago
01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I understand that... I'm not trying to discount that. But the thread should be about Cam Ward's mask, which happens to have Nickelback on it. It should be about what you think about the mask. If your dispise for Nickelback sways your opinion about the mask, so be it, but the thread should not be derailed to a 'I hate Nickelback' thread.

How can you separate the two? What if he had a picture of Hitler on the mask..could you say "well, hitler's kind of a dick, but the mask looks really cool".

Don't you remember the fiasco with Emery's Mike Tyson mask? People were't like, "I hate Mike Tyson, but damn that mask looks cool".

If you put something on it that people have an opinion about, they will comment on that.

And before anyone even goes there, no I am not comparing Nickelback to Hitler..

Rhettzky
01-26-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't hate Nickelback because it's cool, I hate them because of Chad Kroeger's crotch thrusting, rock star poses.

http://members.shaw.ca/melhzoller/pics/Chad/Chad_Kroeger_Mpls_MN.jpg

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't hate Nickelback because it's cool, I hate them because of Chad Kroeger's crotch thrusting, rock star poses.

...and yet you post a picture. Go figure...:whistle:

rockstar
01-26-2007, 01:49 PM

For the record (like the pun? - worked better before CD's), I like Nickelback. Always have. Then again, I don't listen to Canadian radio, so I don't hear them every second song either.
Maybe it has nothing to do with being "cool." Perhaps it has more to do with the quality of music they produce.

I don't hate Nickelback because I want people to think I'm different, I hate them because they put out the same songs over and over and over again. Their lack of creativity and their desire for fame and riches has resulted in them using the same formula, song after song. It's tired, boring, terrible stuff. IMO.

Here's proof, if you've never heard this (http://hype.non-standard.net/track/210972) (Might take a minute to load).
Anyway, back on topic. I suppose it's his mask and he can do whatever he wants, but really? It's pretty weak. I've never liked goalies putting band names/pictures on their masks, especially bad ones. Rouge's comments summarize the artwork perfectly. :D Well done.

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't hate Nickelback because I want people to think I'm different, I hate them because they put out the same songs over and over and over again. Their lack of creativity and their desire for fame and riches has resulted in them using the same formula, song after song. It's tired, boring, terrible stuff. IMO.

Merely a joke on my part.

Hey, everyone has the right to hate a band or what they release/represent.

I can't fricken' stand Coldplay, yet everyone I meet seems to think they are one of the best bands ever. If I hear a Coldplay song, I want to smash the radio into pieces.

I like Nickelback. I don't hear the SAME thing over and over again with their songs. It's merely personal tastes and hey...if you don't like them, you don't. No big deal really.

Rhettzky
01-26-2007, 01:56 PM
...and yet you post a picture. Go figure...:whistle:

Well I had to give an example. :bag:

rockstar
01-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Merely a joke on my part.

Hey, everyone has the right to hate a band or what they release/represent.

I can't fricken' stand Coldplay, yet everyone I meet seems to think they are one of the best bands ever. If I hear a Coldplay song, I want to smash the radio into pieces.

I like Nickelback. I don't hear the SAME thing over and over again with their songs. It's merely personal tastes and hey...if you don't like them, you don't. No big deal really.
No, it is a big deal. You like Nickelback? I hate you! ;)

Just kidding, we're all entitled to our own opinions, and the most I do with a Nickelback fan is make fun of them, all in good nature. It just makes me angry that they're taking advantage of people. I don't mind that their songs are catchy or whatever, but IMO there's not much "art" in their music, and art is what it should be about. They run their band like a business, something I'm totally against. It just feels like a money grab; I don't think any of their songs mean anything to them. I'm not saying they're the only ones who do, either.

The worst part is hearing Nickelback at work. We all work in one room, with one radio. CJAY 92? Nickelback comes on. JACK? Nickelback comes on. I heard three (3!) different Nickelback songs on bloody Lite 96 yesterday. That should be a dead giveaway as to what they are trying to do with their music: tap every single market they can. Ugh.

But this is all a discussion for another thread (one which of course has appeared several times on CP). I don't want to get in trouble for derailing a thread so I'm going to stop myself now, while I still can. :D

Anyhoo...:whistle:

I lost a bit of respect for Noodles when he showed up with his Nickelback mask. But I know he's a hard-rockin' fella and a Calgary Flame so I'll let it go! But if I ever meet him I'll remind him to tune into Lite 96 for all his Nickelback needs.

Table 5
01-26-2007, 02:24 PM

it was never cool to like nickleback.

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 02:34 PM
it was never cool to like nickleback.

:D

Good one.

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 02:58 PM
It just makes me angry that they're taking advantage of people.

Oh please...

Taking advantage of people? You mean like religious folks who get on tv and scream for me to send them my money or I won't be saved? I have the choice or not to purchase their CD. It's a choice. No one takes advantage of anyone.

Please...:rolleyes:

I don't mind that their songs are catchy or whatever, but IMO there's not much "art" in their music, and art is what it should be about. They run their band like a business, something I'm totally against. It just feels like a money grab;

This argument drives me insane as well. Art? 99% of those in the entertainment business are there to conduct business. If you really want art, go listen to independant releases or musicians that don't even want to release their stuff to the general public and play in seedy little bars to 8 - 12 people.

It's OK for people like you and me to try and get ahead in the world, get a better career and make the kind of money that makes us and our families comfortable, but for those who make music like Nickelback, they have to be all about the "art" and not conduct themselves in a business fashion?

It's a business. It always has been. I'm sorry, but if I was a musician and I had the choice between selling 50,000 copies of a CD to Canadians or have a #1 hit on U.S. radio and selling millions of CD's all over the world, I know which one I would pick and I know which formula I would use to stay on top and keep that feeling and success.

Prototype
01-26-2007, 03:12 PM

The way this thread turned... you win.

Deelow
01-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Oh please...

Taking advantage of people? You mean like religious folks who get on tv and scream for me to send them my money or I won't be saved? I have the choice or not to purchase their CD. It's a choice. No one takes advantage of anyone.

This argument drives me insane as well. Art? 99% of those in the entertainment business are there to conduct business. If you really want art, go listen to independant releases or musicians that don't even want to release their stuff to the general public and play in seedy little bars to 8 - 12 people.

It's OK for people like you and me to try and get ahead in the world, get a better career and make the kind of money that makes us and our families comfortable, but for those who make music like Nickelback, they have to be all about the "art" and not conduct themselves in a business fashion?

It's a business. It always has been. I'm sorry, but if I was a musician and I had the choice between selling 50,000 copies of a CD to Canadians or have a #1 hit on U.S. radio and selling millions of CD's all over the world, I know which one I would pick and I know which formula I would use to stay on top and keep that feeling and success.
I agree. I don't like Nickelback, I don't hate Nickelback...I nothing Nickelback....I still think it's a lame mask though.

Bench Warmer
01-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Don't mind Nickelback, hate the mask.

It would be much better if Cam painted up his helmet and paid homage to his favorite football team...think Green for those who don't know which team that is... :)

RougeUnderoos
01-26-2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.eyecandyair.com/backplates/backplatebubbles.htm

I wonder who wears that one.

It's the same company that did Ward's.

rockstar
01-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Oh please...

Ok fine, taking advantage of their stupidity and the fact that they'll eat anything put in front of their mouths.

Music used to be an art form, and now it's just a means of making money. I'm not crying, I'm just voicing my opinion.

I never said they HAD to do anything, I just stated what I think they ARE doing. They can run their music like a business all they want. I just think it's bull**** and I won't support it. I'm not going to start a petition or anything though.

If that's what you would do, then good for you. Have a nice wealthy life. Keep using the formula. Fine by me. But it's not what I would do. If I had the choice between getting "rich" and "famous" by using a repetitive, mediocre, empty form of music that sounds catchy but means nothing, or making some good, meaningful, insightful, creative music that will attract maybe fewer, but more devoted and musically-enlightened people, I'm choosing the latter. Because for some of us, money isn't the be-all and end-all.

Sorry, I just think that 98% of the music you hear on the top-40-or-whatever-it-is is empty, shallow, worthless, and meaningless, and IMO Nickelback epitomizes all of that. It's just a means to get wealthy.
I just don't really think that's what music should be about. Music's supposed to be about emotion; it's supposed to be a form of communication. But yeah, it's just another industry now.

Right. This thread is going absolutely nowhere, and it is my fault. Sorry everybody.:)

So...Cam Ward, eh?

Tron_fdc
01-26-2007, 03:47 PM
http://www.eyecandyair.com/backplates/backplatebubbles.htm

I wonder who wears that one.

It's the same company that did Ward's.

That's hilarious. I kinda doubt Betteman would allow it in the NHL though.

Maybe if it said "Freedom 35"?

llama64
01-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Ugh, not another Nickleback bash fest. Does anyone force you to listen to them? Or is this just another opportunity for the music "purists" to come out and edumucate the rest of us unwashed masses? Leave us be and go back to listening to your EMO garbage.

Thought I agree, it's very fanboi'ish to put The Chad on his noggin.