PDA

View Full Version : First Tattoo

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 10:33 AM
So, I finally decided to go through with getting a tattoo. I've always talked about it, but never had the guts to do it.

It's on my right arm. Got it done yesterday:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/OilKiller/tattoo.jpg

The wife hates it. I told her it was a bi*** to erase...:D

Tron_fdc
01-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Sweet man. I love tatoos, I have a few myself.

I'd get full sleeves if my sig other wasn't so dead set against them, and if the oldtimers around me didn't mind.

bluejays
01-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Looks real good, but the reason I don't get one myself is - how will it look 30 years from now and will you want it 30 years from now? The answer to both those questions IMO, is a)flabby b)no.

Madman
01-26-2007, 10:50 AM
What does it mean?

socalwingfan
01-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Very cool - I have 10 or so right now, they are very addicting I have another 3 - 4 in mind, just need the money to get them done. Would also kill for full sleeves, but being in management doesn't really fly, although I have to wear long sleeves anyway to cover up the ones on my forearms.

Hakan
01-26-2007, 10:53 AM
great...

Madman
01-26-2007, 10:54 AM
It means, I'm a banger.:w00t: Is that Eddy from Iron Maiden?
Ahhh, sadly my Iron Maiden knowledge is lacking.

It looks good, I was just wondering what the meaning behind it was.

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 10:59 AM
It means, I'm a banger.:w00t: Is that Eddy from Iron Maiden?

Nope...not Eddie. Just a skull. Doesn't really mean anything. I just thought it would look cool if it looked like it was trying to break out of my skin.

As for wanting it in 30 years...well, in 30 years I'll be 70 and most likely wearing diapers, so who cares? ;)

Took 2 1/2 hours to do and cost me $250. More than I wanted to spend, but you have to pay for good work.

snappyk
01-26-2007, 11:06 AM
looks nice, where did you get it done? I have 4 of them now, they are addictive though.

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 11:10 AM
looks nice, where did you get it done?

Thanks.

Since I am in Edmonton, you most likely don't know this place, but it's called Big Daddy's. A guy at my gym suggested this place and I'm glad he did. Very clean, professional and the artists are very good.

ben voyonsdonc
01-26-2007, 11:18 AM
That is an awesome tattoo. For the love of God, DON'T SCRATCH IT!

I got my second small tattoo 2 weeks ago and it itched for over a week! It is weird because my other tattoo only itched for a day.

I am guessing that the tattoo shop will give you free touch ups but resist the temptation to scratch it. Also, don't get it too wet or the scab could come off and take parts of the tattoo with it.

I am sure that you have been told all of this before though...

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 11:25 AM
That is an awesome tattoo. For the love of God, DON'T SCRATCH IT!

Thanks.

Yeah, they gave me a full set of instructions. Just got it done yesterday so I don't think it will become itchy just yet. At least it hasn't been.

I've been told to wash it with antibacterial soap and use unscented lotion as well, twice a day as per their instructions.

It seems to be healing nicely and isn't really bothering me at all.

Phaneuf3
01-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks.

Yeah, they gave me a full set of instructions. Just got it done yesterday so I don't think it will become itchy just yet. At least it hasn't been.

I've been told to wash it with antibacterial soap and use unscented lotion as well, twice a day as per their instructions.

It seems to be healing nicely and isn't really bothering me at all.
did they give you any lotion at the place or give you specific brands to use? i know that in rare cases certain lotions can react with certain inks giving less than ideal results. oh and be VERY gentle washing it - no direct water on it in the shower - no baths. use a washcloth and DAB, don't rub/scrub.

the_only_turek_fan
I am going to get one soon. I have always wanted one. I don't know what to get yet, and that is what is holding me up.

How much did it hurt?

Burninator
Looks real good, but the reason I don't get one myself is - how will it look 30 years from now and will you want it 30 years from now? The answer to both those questions IMO, is a)flabby b)no.

Chances are when you are in your sixites or seventies you are not going to care that your body doesn't look perfect anymore, as it won't. I don't have any tattoos, but I want one. Unfortunately what I worry about is getting bored or hating my design later down the road.

Phaneuf3
01-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I am going to get one soon. I have always wanted one. I don't know what to get yet, and that is what is holding me up.

How much did it hurt?
as long as you're not getting it anywhere crazy (sternum, achilles tendon, tongue) it won't be too bad. it'll feel weird (and IMO pretty cool) for maybe 5 minutes until the area goes numb.

the only way its gonna hurt at all is if they have to tattoo an area, leave it alone for about 1/2 hour and then come backand tattoo over it again. also, once their finished the outline, you're in the clear - colouring doesn't hurt at all.

OilKiller
did they give you any lotion at the place or give you specific brands to use? i know that in rare cases certain lotions can react with certain inks giving less than ideal results. oh and be VERY gentle washing it - no direct water on it in the shower - no baths. use a washcloth and DAB, don't rub/scrub.

They told me to buy Lubriderm unscented lotion. That's what I bought. As for water and scrubbing, yes, they explained that as well. I wash it carefully and dab it with a dry cloth.

How much did it hurt?

I didn't know what to get either, so I went in and looked through some of the books they had of existing ones. I saw this one and we adjusted it a bit and went with it. It just jumped out at me.

As for hurting, well, it didn't feel great (kind of like roadburn if you've ever fallen off a bike and scraped yourself on pavement). That's about the best way I can explain it. The first 60 seconds or so was interesting and then my body got used to the feeling and it was OK. Let's be serious here though...remember what they are doing. It's not going to feel like kittens licking you are anything...:D It really wasn't that bad though. The fact that people hardly ever stop at one tattoo should tell you that it's not that bad.

ben voyonsdonc
How much did it hurt? Where would you like to get your tattoo? The amount of pain depends on where the tattoo is placed.

Phaneuf3
01-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Chances are when you are in your sixites or seventies you are not going to care that your body doesn't look perfect anymore, as it won't. I don't have any tattoos, but I want one. Unfortunately what I worry about is getting bored or hating my design later down the road.
the other thing is removal techniques are getting pretty darn good and coming down in price - imagine what they'll be like once you get bored of yours.

Phaneuf3
01-26-2007, 11:39 AM
They told me to buy Lubriderm unscented lotion. That's what I bought. As for water and scrubbing, yes, they explained that as well. I wash it carefully and dab it with a dry cloth.
that's a good one. oh and be sure to use antibacterial soap but no antibacterial cream like polysporin. again, i'm sure they went over all this stuff with you at the shop but never hurts to see it again. i've seen a couple people **** up their tattoos due to ignorance or brain farts.

the_only_turek_fan
01-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Where would you like to get your tattoo? The amount of pain depends on where the tattoo is placed.

I want to get one on the back of my shoulder, and then go from there.

I really think tattoos are cool. I always notice and admire then.

Phaneuf3
01-26-2007, 11:49 AM
I want to get one on the back of my shoulder, and then go from there.

I really think tattoos are cool. I always notice and admire then.
unless you're a HUGE wimp, you've got nothing to worry about for pain. that is hands down the least painful place to get them.

JiriHrdina
01-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah the pain is nothing to worry about. I have a huge fear of needles and thought getting a tattoo might really bother me, but I found I was able to comfortably watch it getting done. That's actually one of the coolest parts is watching the guy do it.

Burninator
01-26-2007, 12:01 PM
the other thing is removal techniques are getting pretty darn good and coming down in price - imagine what they'll be like once you get bored of yours.

Ideally I would like to totally avoid that situation. I watch those tattoo shows when I catch them on. Lots of people get thier tattoos because of some deep reasoning or meaning to them. Well I don't have anything behind my reasoning to get a tattoo besides it looking badass. When it has meaning, I would think that you wouldn't get bored of it. But if you get based soley on design then you might get bored of it. Just my worries.

ben voyonsdonc
01-26-2007, 12:01 PM
I would agree with Phaneuf3 -- you should be ok on the back of the shoulder...as long as it isn't between the shoulder blades. My sister got one there and it hurt a lot when it is on the spine.

I got my tattoos on the inside of both forearms toward my wrists. The lower on my forearm he tattooed, the more it hurt. It wasn't excruciating pain though.

RougeUnderoos
01-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I saw a guy on the train in the summer with a fairly good sized Flaming C on his leg. Not my cup of tea but it sure was well done. Perfect color and the whole bit.

ken0042
01-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure which impresses me more; that Oilkiller got a tattoo, or the fact that he is posting on the OT board! :)

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I saw a guy on the train in the summer with a fairly good sized Flaming C on his leg. Not my cup of tea but it sure was well done. Perfect color and the whole bit.

Funny you said that because that was going to be what I got. I decided against it for my first tattoo. I will most likely get a smaller flaming C on my chest in a few months though. I already talked to the artist about getting it done during this session.

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure which impresses me more; that Oilkiller got a tattoo, or the fact that he is posting on the OT board! :)

Guess I don't get on here much do I? ;) Where are my skill points for finally posting on the OT board... :D

Dodsdomd
01-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I always hate the arguement of "what about when you're old". I'd rather live with something I like now then be worried about "possible" regret down the road. Most things I do in my life are not geared towards some kind of magical moment in my 60's or 70's. Enjoy life in the moment.

Not trying to ram anything down anyone's throat. This just happens to work for me.

OilKiller
01-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Not trying to ram anything down anyone's throat. This just happens to work for me.

Agreed.

If I worried about how I would feel about something down the road or possible consequences, I would never do anything.

FlamingLonghorn
01-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Tattoos hurt people differently in different areas. Sure there are general places that are more or less painful, but its different for everybody. I have a sleeve and am working on my second and various other tats on my body. My friends and I all have different places that were are most painful...

moon
01-26-2007, 02:21 PM
I would agree with Phaneuf3 -- you should be ok on the back of the shoulder...as long as it isn't between the shoulder blades. My sister got one there and it hurt a lot when it is on the spine.

I got my tattoos on the inside of both forearms toward my wrists. The lower on my forearm he tattooed, the more it hurt. It wasn't excruciating pain though.

Iwouldn't say it hurt a lot. You could definately feel it more but it wasn't something that was really bad and not nearly as painful as I was expecting for the spine.

I hate needles and am a huge wuss painwise and I didn't think it was bad at all. It certainly doesn't feel like a massage but worrying about the pain is not something that should someone from getting a tattoo.

GrrlGoalie33
01-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I fell asleep on the chair while I was getting the one on my lower back done.

I have three and the one that hurt the most was the one on my ankle.

Flames_Gimp
01-26-2007, 02:48 PM
it feels a bit like drawing a picture on you with a lit cigarette, it eventually does numb a bit but once you hit 3 hours it really starts to hurt lol

Rhettzky
01-26-2007, 02:48 PM
I have one on the back of my right leg from when I was 19. When I got it done everyone was giving me lectures about how I would hate it in ten years and how I would regret it. It's been ten years now and the only thing I regret is not having more.

the crispy badger
01-26-2007, 02:58 PM
this is my first and only tattoo..it feels alot like a sunburn when its done. http://pix.bangme.net/userphotos/album/thumbs/1736449.jpg

SpitFire40
01-26-2007, 03:41 PM
I would only get a tatoo that actually means something, like Flags of the countries where my family came from.

It looks cool as hell but not my jazz.

Flames_Gimp
01-26-2007, 04:37 PM
ive got a tattoo on my ****!

Phaneuf3
01-26-2007, 04:56 PM

How much did it hurt?
oh yea - one other thing you'll want to do - if you're getting it in a place that's gonna be out in the open - arms, etc. its better to get it in the winter. the summer sun can fade your tattoo - more so when its fresh than when its healed for 4+months...

FlamingLonghorn
01-26-2007, 07:26 PM
oh yea - one other thing you'll want to do - if you're getting it in a place that's gonna be out in the open - arms, etc. its better to get it in the winter. the summer sun can fade your tattoo - more so when its fresh than when its healed for 4+months...

Wear sunscreen if you go out in the sun and don't tan or burn then it won't fade...

Phaneuf3
01-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Wear sunscreen if you go out in the sun and don't tan or burn then it won't fade...
good advice but sometimes easier said then done. getting the tattoo in fall/winter gives it more guaranteed time to be out of the sun without having to worry about something that you can't always control.

plus no sun is better than sun+sunscreen...

ben voyonsdonc
01-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Iwouldn't say it hurt a lot. You could definately feel it more but it wasn't something that was really bad and not nearly as painful as I was expecting for the spine. I guess everybody has a different reaction to getting the tattoo. She also got several tattoos on her rib cage which is considered one of the most painful areas. She wasn't sure what was worse - the spine or the rib cage. I watched Kat from Miami Ink getting her tattoo on her rib cage and she was pretty much in tears and had to ask Garver to stop.

HelloHockeyFans
01-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Well I have a few tattoos and it definitely is addictive.

My first one is my largest one and stretches from my upper back, over my left shoulder and spans across my chest. The entire tattoo took 5 hours and cost me $1000. Most of the time, they split up tattoos into multiple sessions if it takes longer than an hour and a half, but I decided to do it all on one shot with breaks given for the artist. I experienced the same thing as some posters mentioned, where I was in a different state after a while... almost like I was "passed out".

From what I've been told, and through personal experience, the most painful areas are the ones which are usually covered and don't get bruised/scarred/scraped. The skin is tender there and when getting tattooed, the most painful areas to get ink done on.

MonsieurFish
01-27-2007, 12:30 PM
i'd like to get a led zeppelin tatoo, the 4 symbols or something, however i think i'd look like a complete ######bag with a tattoo, not really my style.

Patek23
01-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Sorry to kind of hijack the thread Oilkiller but I've been considering getting my first tattoo recently does anybody have any places in Calgary they'd recommend to go get it done?

JiriHrdina
01-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Sorry to kind of hijack the thread Oilkiller but I've been considering getting my first tattoo recently does anybody have any places in Calgary they'd recommend to go get it done?

Bushido on 4th street and 11th - they do good work and make it a very comfortable experience.

Smiling Buddah seems to be the most popular place locally though.

the_hound
01-27-2007, 03:51 PM

I got mine done at Iron Will on macleod trail, they did a really good job, but your best bet is to shop around and decide which artist best reflects the style to suit you. Remember once it's there, it's threre for good :cool:

Phaneuf3
01-27-2007, 04:11 PM
if you've got your design planned out already, i'd strongly recommend body inc in kensington. they will reproduce your design perfectly; very skilled at tattooing, clean, friendly and cheap. however, if you're looking for your artist to come up with a design for you, maybe look elsewhere, i've been underwelmed by some of the ideas i've seen them come up with on their own.

CMPunk
01-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Living Color in Inglewood did all 7 of mine

Flames_Gimp
01-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Living Color in Inglewood did all 7 of mine

they good? im thinking of going there as its close to me

red '00
01-27-2007, 08:00 PM
I just got my first tattoo the other day as well. Nothing signifigant or whatever, just thought the design was cool.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3773/picture011hj8.jpg

Not a good picture, can't see all of it. But you get the idea.

gordo67
01-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Strange World is where I got mine done. The guys there are awesome. Brett worked at Smilin Buddha for years, Brett is the one who did my tattoo.

Phaneufthebeast
02-04-2007, 04:17 AM
i'd like to get a led zeppelin tatoo, the 4 symbols or something, however i think i'd look like a complete ######bag with a tattoo, not really my style.

yah you really would!!!!!!