PDA

View Full Version : Audio Book Suggestions

Maritime Q-Scout
01-24-2007, 06:27 PM
hey all, looks like I'll be making the trek from Halifax to Sydney and back this weekend.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on Audio Books to listen to for the 4.5 hour drive up and 4.5 hour drive back?

Generally I like non-fiction, psycology and communiction books fascinate me (probably why I did a bachelor's in communication)

The thing is, I can't read while I drive (obviously) so it must be in easy to find audio form.

Suggestions?

edn88
01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
If you can find Freakanomics on talking book, I would suggest that - it is economics, but a great slant on it, taking real life things and putting through economic discipline.

Maritime Q-Scout
01-24-2007, 06:34 PM
If you can find Freakanomics on talking book, I would suggest that - it is economics, but a great slant on it, taking real life things and putting through economic discipline.

damn it, great suggestion but I read it last summer. Thanks man, any reccomendations like it?

photon
01-24-2007, 10:47 PM
http://www.areasofmyexpertise.com/

Not really non-fiction, but highly entertaining. The God Delusion by Dawkins is also a very good audio book.

Frank the Tank
01-25-2007, 07:26 AM
I bought Hannibal Rising a while ago. I'm maybe half way through it and its pretty good. But I love the whole Hannibal series, so my opinion is a bit skewed.

BlackEleven
01-25-2007, 08:08 AM
A good friend of mine is always talking about the My Life audio book. Its a biography of Bill Clinton and the audio book is read by the man himself. I personally haven't read it, but my friends raves about it.

shane_c
01-25-2007, 09:52 AM
4.5 hrs? The island must have drifted further away! It used to be around 4 and that was for me to get out to Mira. The only audio book I've heard was "Invisible Man" but that was about 15+ years ago. I usually just listen to music CD's or the radio. Check out Chapters. They usually have a good selection.

shane_c
01-25-2007, 10:47 AM
To anyone that has seen that McDonald's commercial about why Cape Bretoner's love McD's new sandwich here you go.
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/7724/n5344405023044139208do.jpg (http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/7724/n5344405023044139208do.jpg)

Iowa_Flames_Fan
01-25-2007, 12:37 PM
As audio books go, 4.5 hours isn't terribly long. I think if you get Jon Stewart's "America the Book" on tape that would be about right. I also know that you can get "Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy" on tape, and that would also be just about the right length. My wife and I listened to it in November--it was even funnier than I remembered.

Maritime Q-Scout
01-25-2007, 02:45 PM
I love the picture Shane

I usually stop and get out in Antigonowhere to get a coffee, plus drive through stops for Tim's in Truro, and St Peter's. So that all adds up (getting off the highway, getting my coffee, stoping to empty my ummmm coffee)

and what's with people reccomending books I've already read, LOL

- Freakonomics
- America
- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

I should have specified that I didn't already read :P

Seriously though, thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

shane_c
01-25-2007, 03:03 PM
I love the picture Shane

I usually stop and get out in Antigonowhere to get a coffee, plus drive through stops for Tim's in Truro, and St Peter's. So that all adds up (getting off the highway, getting my coffee, stoping to empty my ummmm coffee)

and what's with people reccomending books I've already read, LOL

- Freakonomics
- America
- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

I should have specified that I didn't already read :P

Seriously though, thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Do you stop at the ice cream place in St Peters? We used to stop there as kids on the way up and back.

If the CBC has any Stuart McLean audio CD's they'd be a good listen.

Maritime Q-Scout
01-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Do you stop at the ice cream place in St Peters? We used to stop there as kids on the way up and back.

If the CBC has any Stuart McLean audio CD's they'd be a good listen.

Very rarely, as a little kid a couple of time, and once I was just in the mood for icecream. Was more of a Tasty Treat in Howie Centre man. Partly because it was 2 minutes from my house.

SoulOfTheFlame
01-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Catch me if You Can

The TRUE story of Frank William Abbagnale, the greatest con man of all time.

The movie of the same name was based on the book, but the book is much much better, you really get an appreciation for how clever and ballsey this guy was.

Maritime Q-Scout
01-26-2007, 04:41 AM
well folks due to a snow storm coming up the East Coast, I'll be in Halifax this weekend, making the trek next weekend

ergo, keep the suggestions coming

RedHot25
01-26-2007, 06:37 AM
To anyone that has seen that McDonald's commercial about why Cape Bretoner's love McD's new sandwich here you go.

Hey Shane, is that one on the cause-way or whatever its called? I've only been to Cape Breton and back twice....and I don't remember that writting...unless it was photoshopped in... or unless I have no idea what I am talking about. Could be that, to.

well folks due to a snow storm coming up the East Coast, I'll be in Halifax this weekend, making the trek next weekend

ergo, keep the suggestions coming

Snowstorm? I don't think its supposed to be that bad...unless C.B. is going to get it a lot worse.

Could you get your hands on an old Flames game of some sort and listen to it on the way up?

Also, any trip to C.B. you must stop at that pizza place in Antigonish (? - I think that's how you spell it, wherever St. Fx is). That stuff is gooooooodddddd.

Maritime Q-Scout
01-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Hey Shane, is that one on the cause-way or whatever its called? I've only been to Cape Breton and back twice....and I don't remember that writting...unless it was photoshopped in... or unless I have no idea what I am talking about. Could be that, to.

It's photoshopped, it actually says "Welcome to Cape Breton"

Snowstorm? I don't think its supposed to be that bad...unless C.B. is going to get it a lot worse.

Halifax isn't supposed to be that bad 10cm and high winds, Cape Breton's supposed to be whalloped

Could you get your hands on an old Flames game of some sort and listen to it on the way up?

Great idea, anyone know where I can get audio of some of the 04 run?

Also, any trip to C.B. you must stop at that pizza place in Antigonish (? - I think that's how you spell it, wherever St. Fx is). That stuff is gooooooodddddd.

"The Wheel" is where you speak of. It is good pizza, I've heard it called "the only redeemnig part of Antigonish" haha. I generally stop just at the Tim's for coffee, but if I'm hungry it's the Wheel. Been around since forever, the dawn of pizza atleast. My aunt and uncle (who are about to retire) went there on dates back in thier undergrad days, their daughter who graduated from X two years ago did the same thing. Insane if you think about it. The pictures on the wall of the sports teams and players that went through Antigonish is cool too.

However Napoli on Charlotte Street is my favourite pizza, I was soooo looking forward to it this weekend. Alas the next one.

Where'd you go on the Cape?

shane_c
01-26-2007, 09:36 AM
However Napoli on Charlotte Street is my favourite pizza, I was soooo looking forward to it this weekend. Alas the next one.

I always get a Napoli Pepperoni and Cheese pizza when I go home. They're good friends with my grandmother and every year she gets a huge thing of Saputo Cheese from them.

RedHot25
01-26-2007, 01:22 PM

I always get a Napoli Pepperoni and Cheese pizza when I go home. They're good friends with my grandmother and every year she gets a huge thing of Saputo Cheese from them.

Ha, I thought photoshopped...but wasn't sure...where's the "L" for my head ;)

Anyways, as for CB - we did it twice. Once went up with friends who have family at the tip of it (yes, in the umm general rougher area). But they are actual fishermen so it was fun to get out fishing per se even if I was just about sea sick! 2nd time we went up by ourselves and stayed at a basic B and B overnight for the fall colours.

Napoli's is in the same place? The Wheel...yah we heard the same things from our friends (one went to school there). When we eventually move, though, I'm getting some of that pizza shipped to me!! (like the pics on the wall).

As for the actual topic of this thread...well....I got nothing...

Rathji
01-26-2007, 01:28 PM
If you have not read Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, (or seen the movie) it is about 4 hours in audio book.

octothorp
01-26-2007, 02:22 PM
If you have not read Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, (or seen the movie) it is about 4 hours in audio book.

Better yet, get the original BBC radio play that Adams wrote before he wrote the books. Some stuff that the book is based on, some hilarious stuff that never made it into the books. 12 hours in total.

brownie
03-12-2007, 11:51 AM
[quote=Maritime Q-Scout;730714]It's photoshopped, it actually says "Welcome to Cape Breton"

"The Wheel" is where you speak of. It is good pizza, I've heard it called "the only redeemnig part of Antigonish" haha. I generally stop just at the Tim's for coffee, but if I'm hungry it's the Wheel. Been around since forever, the dawn of pizza atleast. My aunt and uncle (who are about to retire) went there on dates back in thier undergrad days, their daughter who graduated from X two years ago did the same thing. Insane if you think about it. The pictures on the wall of the sports teams and players that went through Antigonish is cool too.[quote]You are from Sydney,and you're dissing Antigonish??Good one:D

Boreal
03-12-2007, 03:10 PM
AL Franken, Lies and the Lieing Liars who Tell Them, is very funny, especially the parts about Rush and Bill-O.

BBC Radio 2, the Bruce Springsteen Story (3 Hours) is amazing, with interviews and music mixed through out.