PDA

View Full Version : New Home Warranty

shane_c
01-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Does anyone know how long the new home warranty is? Does it vary by builder. Our place is about 4 years old, we've been there about 2 years and no air comes out of the vent in the master bath. Well, it's not exactly none, but it's only a faint trickle and you need to have your hand right there to feel it. I'm guessing they have something stuck in the vent pipe that they forgot to take out when it was being built, or the pipe slid off somewhere. Any ideas?

Barnes
01-24-2007, 04:35 PM
5 year structural

ken0042
01-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I moved into my house when it was 14 months old, and tried to explain to the builder that the original purchaser put it up for sale at 11 months old; so it missed the 1 year inspection; and that I had noticed a few odd things. They said too bad, so sad.

I-Hate-Hulse
01-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Not sure it makes a difference in duration, but there is a difference between "Alberta NHW" and "National NHW". I had National on my new condo and found them ridiculously biased in favor of the builders. My father who's a former builder himself confirmed that too.

From my experience, what they deem to be "structural" is quite limited. I doubt your vent issue would fall into that catagory, they'll toss it under HVAC. Oh and National requires you to pay something like $250 for a visit from their inspector to take a look.

Hopefully it's something you can work out easily. Hopefully you don't have to go Mike Holmes on the guy.

Give em a call though, can't hurt.