PDA

View Full Version : Rare ugly shark captured in Japan. Sushi anyone?

Bertuzzied
01-24-2007, 08:44 AM
A frilled shark. What a weird looking thing. I guess it died a few hours after they captured it.

We believe moving pictures of a live specimen are extremely rare," said an official at the park. "They live between 600 and 1,000 meters under the water, which is deeper than humans can go." "We think it may have come close to the surface because it was sick, or else it was weakened because it was in shallow waters," the official said.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/TECH/science/01/24/shark.japan.reut/story.shark.japan.gi.jpg
(http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20070124/2007_01_24t081403_450x340_us_shark_japan.jpg?x=380&y=287&sig=s84ZYjKgyaUQPLJxEukuFg--)

Bertuzzied
01-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Whoops. Link and a better pic.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070124/sc_nm/shark_japan_dc

http://www.citynews.ca/images/2007-01/jan2407-rare_shark.jpg

TheyCallMeBruce
01-24-2007, 09:05 AM
deep sea creatures always interests me. My favorite is the giant squid and giant octopus.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/photogalleries/giant_squid/

Burninator
01-24-2007, 09:36 AM
That thing looks terrifying! Now I know what will be haunting me in my dreams.

FlamesAddiction
01-24-2007, 10:18 AM
I love looking at bizarre sea creatures. Sometimes they freak me out a little, like those big sea sculpins with the huge teeth.

This shark is rather cool looking, i agree.

Hack&Lube
01-24-2007, 10:29 AM
It seems all the deep sea stuff is usually the horrific looking kind by our human standards because these are usually creatures that have existed the most unchanged since pre-historic times. Look at all the other creatures that have pretty much survived millions of years pretty much unchanged like the Crocodile which would look terrifying if we weren't so used to seeing them.

CaptainCrunch
01-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Hey I don't mind being eaten by a good looking fish like a great white, or a Kraken. But the worst insult would be getting devoured by something thats uglier on the outside then my last girlfriend was on the inside.

the crispy badger
01-24-2007, 10:51 AM
It seems all the deep sea stuff is usually the horrific looking kind by our human standards because these are usually creatures that have existed the most unchanged since pre-historic times. Look at all the other creatures that have pretty much survived millions of years pretty much unchanged like the Crocodile which would look terrifying if we weren't so used to seeing them.

trust me..some us still think Crocodiles are terrifying!

Jiggy_12
01-24-2007, 10:54 AM
I hate the ocean. It creeps me right out. This only goes further to solidify my fear.

How many undiscovered ocean species do they say there are? Something like ten thousand?

TheDragon
01-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I hate the ocean. It creeps me right out. This only goes further to solidify my fear.

How many undiscovered ocean species do they say there are? Something like ten thousand?

See, I'm completely opposite. I absolutely love the ocean and think any creatures we haven't discovered are incredibly fascinating, especially ones like this shark.

Look at it! It doesn't even look or swim like a shark!

It looks more like a snake!

Burninator
01-24-2007, 11:20 AM

How can someone put a number on something that is undiscovered? :confused:

Flames_Gimp
01-24-2007, 11:22 AM
A frilled shark. What a weird looking thing. I guess it died a few hours after they captured it.

We believe moving pictures of a live specimen are extremely rare," said an official at the park. "They live between 600 and 1,000 meters under the water, which is deeper than humans can go." "We think it may have come close to the surface because it was sick, or else it was weakened because it was in shallow waters," the official said.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/TECH/science/01/24/shark.japan.reut/story.shark.japan.gi.jpg
(http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20070124/2007_01_24t081403_450x340_us_shark_japan.jpg?x=380&y=287&sig=s84ZYjKgyaUQPLJxEukuFg--)

that pic looks like something you would find in my pants

FlamesAddiction
01-24-2007, 11:22 AM
See, I'm completely opposite. I absolutely love the ocean and think any creatures we haven't discovered are incredibly fascinating, especially ones like this shark.

And it eats other sharks apparently. :eek:

TheDragon
01-24-2007, 11:26 AM
And it eats other sharks apparently. :eek:

Exactly! :D

"Heeeere, Jawsy, Jawsy, Jawsy."

jroc
01-24-2007, 11:27 AM
that pic looks like something you would find in my pants

If you aren't scaring the lady's away as it is... i would highly recomend you don't show them that thing in your pants...:w00t:

TheyCallMeBruce
01-24-2007, 11:37 AM
It would be interesting if they are able to capture some of these creatures and exibit them in some sort of deep sea zoo. I know it'll be tough when it comes to something like this. They live in extreme pressure environments, and capturing them in a pressure chamber to stablize and simulate their environment is near impossible.

Frank the Tank
01-24-2007, 11:39 AM
It would be interesting if they are able to capture some of these creatures and exibit them in some sort of deep sea zoo. I know it'll be tough when it comes to something like this. They live in extreme pressure environments, and capturing them in a pressure chamber to stablize and simulate their environment is near impossible.

Now that'd be a kick-ass zoo!

Flames_Gimp
01-24-2007, 11:40 AM
If you aren't scaring the lady's away as it is... i would highly recomend you don't show them that thing in your pants...:w00t:

lol

and of course im already scarin the ladies away...wheelchairs might as well be sold as women repellant

Mr.Coffee
01-24-2007, 11:54 AM
that thing honestly looks pre-historic. Weird. Time for the Discovery Channel station to do a new animal death match involving this thing and... hmmm... let's go wiiiiiiiiiiiith... uhhhh..... a human with a chisel.

I've got $10 on the human/chisel.

Hack&Lube
01-24-2007, 01:04 PM
lol

and of course im already scarin the ladies away...wheelchairs might as well be sold as women repellant

Aren't there like 2 Baywatch girls that ended up with guys in Wheelchairs or something?

And the Ocean is only cool if I have some sort of invincible underwater Iron Man armor so I can explore 10,000 metres deep and not worry about any prehistoric giant sea monsters devouring me or ocean pressures crushing me. That's my life fantasy.

The last time I was in the Caribbean, I think I swam out to where the land bar dropped off to deep ocean and it totally freaked me out and it was probably only 30 feet deep or something. I was tired from swimming that that totally scared me for some reason. Also, I was attacked by jellyfish. And this is a bloody tourist spot with people all close by.

ken0042
01-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no such thing as water pressure as far as fish are concerned. The reason us humans and our submarines react is we have pockets of air inside of us, and the weight of the water does serve to compress that air. But because water cannot compress, a creature that normally lives 1 mile down wouldn't be affected by any sort of pressure if it came back up to 10 feet under water.

FlamesAddiction
01-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no such thing as water pressure as far as fish are concerned. The reason us humans and our submarines react is we have pockets of air inside of us, and the weight of the water does serve to compress that air. But because water cannot compress, a creature that normally lives 1 mile down wouldn't be affected by any sort of pressure if it came back up to 10 feet under water.

I don't know for sure, but I have heard stories of people catching fish in extremely deep water and the pressure change causes their organs to be pushed out their mouths. I don't know if that is fact though.

Hack&Lube
01-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Pressure affects everything. Deep sea creatures can't even breath in different pressures. Think about opening a can of pop. The pop is fine because the pressure in the can keeps the C02 dissolved. Open the can and the lower pressure causes all the gas to come out. Humans acclimated to deeper ocean pressures cannot ascend too quickly or they get the bends because the nitrogen in their bodies come out of solution. The same thing will happen to any organism. There is no creature that will not be affected by compression or decompression. Any life form has some form of liquid and gas in a very precise balance in it. The animals that can manage both shallow and deep ocean survival such as whales are adapted to regulate this because they feed in the deep but must come up to breathe air (as they are mammals). Creatures that are adapted only for deep sea environments will almost always die.

Deep ocean pressure is just the weight of millions of tons of water above you. It'll crush or compress anything whether or not it has air in it. If you bring something designed for the deep up to the surface rapidly, it'll have the opposite problem of expansion. Can anybody say exploding fish?

Also, many of these creatures may be extremely light sensitive since there is no light at those depths. Sunlight could kill them.

RougeUnderoos
01-24-2007, 02:34 PM
P
Can anybody say exploding fish?

Also, many of these creatures may be extremely light sensitive since there is no light at those depths. Sunlight could kill them.

Oh great, that's all we need -- an exploding cannibal vampire shark.

Bertuzzied
01-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Oh great, that's all we need -- an exploding cannibal vampire shark.

hmmm. Sounds tasty with some wasabi and soy sauce.

MonsieurFish
01-24-2007, 03:00 PM

im with you on this. ive always loved sharks and crazy ocean creatures, however they do scare the sh1t with me and scare me away from the ocean. they're awesome in the comfort of your living room though

burnin_vernon
01-24-2007, 03:39 PM
im with you on this. ive always loved sharks and crazy ocean creatures, however they do scare the sh1t with me and scare me away from the ocean. they're awesome in the comfort of your living room though

what about a shark cage? i think i would like to try that one

SaskaBushFire
01-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Ya deep sea monsters are really interesting to everyone I think. The unknown is always a very popular topic.

I considered being a marine biologist as my profession but quickly found out I wouldn't be able to hack it since I refused to go in the water. Put my in any lake and I am fine, put my in the ocean and I will cry.

troutman
01-24-2007, 04:24 PM
I recently saw a Canadian Geographic documentary about the first people to dive with a Greenland Shark:

http://www.geerg.ca/english/index.html

Igottago
01-24-2007, 04:32 PM
I live a few blocks away from the pacific ocean. I am convinced that one day a giant sea creature is going to emerge from the water and destroy the city.

ken0042
01-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Deep ocean pressure is just the weight of millions of tons of water above you. It'll crush or compress anything whether or not it has air in it. If you bring something designed for the deep up to the surface rapidly, it'll have the opposite problem of expansion. Can anybody say exploding fish?

I found a link that shows where we are both a little wrong. I was correct that water being a liquid does indeed not compress (or at least not very much.) However the same link goes on to explain that most fish; including deep sea fish, have a gas bladder inside them to control boyancy. And it's that gas bladder that causes the deep sea fish to explode when brought up close to the surface.

http://www.fathom.com/course/10701050/session1.html

(read the part called "The Problem of Pressure" to the bottom right hand side of the picture of the Earth.)

Barnes
01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I live a few blocks away from the pacific ocean. I am convinced that one day a giant sea creature is going to emerge from the water and destroy the city.

Why do you live there then? Put a few mountain ranges between you and the beast.

That thing is creepy. I'll stick to nice clean Canadian lakes were the creepeiest things are sturgeons. One time I went swimming in the St Lawrence near where the Ottawa river joins.:poo: I like my third nipple.

Igottago
01-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Why do you live there then? Put a few mountain ranges between you and the beast.

Well then I'd have to deal with Bigfoot.

SaskaBushFire
01-24-2007, 05:29 PM

That "sea monster" will be named Earthquake :)

TheyCallMeBruce
01-24-2007, 06:09 PM
This is what I mean by "pressure"
http://www.mbayaq.org/video/video_popup_dsc_pressure.asp

Jake
01-24-2007, 06:33 PM
deep sea creatures always interests me. My favorite is the giant squid and giant octopus.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/photogalleries/giant_squid/

We've actually found several dead squid that are even bigger than the giant squid (archyteuthis) called either mesonychoteuthis or by its common name the colossal squid.

I love the ocean. I'm going to the Bamfield Marine Science Center next fall for a semester to study marine ecology and animals towards a major in marine science. Really looking forward to it.

I think if anyone actually saw a giant squid they would be disapointed because they don't actually look that large- most of their length comes from the arms and tentacles. However, they wouldn't be disapointed with how strong they are. The scars on sperm whales are suspected to be from these squid and the musculature found in dissections of dead ones shows that they are incredibly strong. They also have some pretty mean looking spikes.

FlamesAddiction
01-24-2007, 07:42 PM
I love the ocean. I'm going to the Bamfield Marine Science Center next fall for a semester to study marine ecology and animals towards a major in marine science. Really looking forward to it.

I spent a few weeks there before. I'm sure you'll love it.

Jake
01-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I spent a few weeks there before. I'm sure you'll love it.

What were you doing out there? I'm a bit nervous because the fall program is supposed to be really hard- I think I remember 50+ hours of class and field trips a week.

Beefcake
01-25-2007, 09:18 AM
... Humans acclimated to deeper ocean pressures cannot ascend too quickly or they get the bends because the nitrogen in their bodies come out of solution. The same thing will happen to any organism. ...

This statement isn't entirely correct. The only reason we have nitrogen in our system is because we breathe air (made up of oxygen, nitrogen, and an insignificant amount of other gases such as helium, etc). The nitrogen comes out of solution because unlike oxygen, our body can't metabolize the increased volume of the gas (due to the decreased pressure at shallower depths). Deep water organisms that don't come to the surface and breath air (incl. nitrogen) into their system won't have this same issue.

I'm no marine biologist, but I assume your statement that all (or at least many) organisms are affected (albeit in different ways) by decompression.

- Diving nerd

return to the red
01-25-2007, 09:26 AM
I recently saw a Canadian Geographic documentary about the first people to dive with a Greenland Shark:

http://www.geerg.ca/english/index.html

I saw this on discovery the other day.

There is some very cool creatures out there and i'm sure many more that have yet to be discovered. I can't wait to see what else lies ahead as we develope new technologies that allow us to find and study these new species.

FlamesAddiction
01-25-2007, 09:54 AM
What were you doing out there? I'm a bit nervous because the fall program is supposed to be really hard- I think I remember 50+ hours of class and field trips a week.

I took a 3 week field course there when I was in university. It certainly wasn't as intense as the full semester programs. I did however, talk to some of the students that were there full time, and they were worked pretty hard. You certainly don't slack. Having said that, I doubt any of them would trade the experience for anything in the world. You'll learn so much and see nature in a way that most people only see on TV. The scientists there seemed very nice as well.

Also, because the program was intense, when the students have a chance to blow off steam, they do it well. :D

Hack&Lube
01-25-2007, 12:25 PM
I found a link that shows where we are both a little wrong. I was correct that water being a liquid does indeed not compress (or at least not very much.) However the same link goes on to explain that most fish; including deep sea fish, have a gas bladder inside them to control boyancy. And it's that gas bladder that causes the deep sea fish to explode when brought up close to the surface.

http://www.fathom.com/course/10701050/session1.html

(read the part called "The Problem of Pressure" to the bottom right hand side of the picture of the Earth.)

Well, the gas bladder is an adaptation that allows for controlled buoyancy like ballast on a Submarine. It is not the only specific reason for why creatures can survive at either shallow or deep ocean depths. The gas bladder is only one of many organs that can fail due to pressure changes. Again, I'm no expert but certain creatures never move up and down, they remain at certain depths their entire lives and may not neccessarily have a gas bladder (I don't know this is a fact however). I think pressure changes can have many psysiological effects on any organism even if it's simply down to breathing, thermal regulation, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hack&Lube
01-25-2007, 12:28 PM
This statement isn't entirely correct. The only reason we have nitrogen in our system is because we breathe air (made up of oxygen, nitrogen, and an insignificant amount of other gases such as helium, etc). The nitrogen comes out of solution because unlike oxygen, our body can't metabolize the increased volume of the gas (due to the decreased pressure at shallower depths). Deep water organisms that don't come to the surface and breath air (incl. nitrogen) into their system won't have this same issue.

I'm no marine biologist, but I assume your statement that all (or at least many) organisms are affected (albeit in different ways) by decompression.

- Diving nerd

I was just pointing out that what happens to changes in pressure can effect changes in humans much moreso than simply "being crushed" by ocean pressure. I'm no marine biologist either but I was just trying to demonstrate how pressure affects much much more than simply having pockets of air being compressed or not as the other poster was saying. You have to consider the state of the gas/liquid and how the precise balance within narrow ranges is so precariously neccessary for life.

Bertuzzied
01-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Hmmm just wondering if deep sea fishes/sharks die, would they float to the top like my goldfish?

Hack&Lube
01-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Hmmm just wondering if deep sea fishes/sharks die, would they float to the top like my goldfish?

I think what happens when your goldish die is that the decaying organs release gases that cause buoyancy. Fish can sink when they die if the gases can escape enough so that the fish is nolonger buoyant. Also the fish can't control the bladder anylonger so remaining gases cause buoyancy.

Hack&Lube
01-25-2007, 12:45 PM
what about a shark cage? i think i would like to try that one

On the show world's worst jobs or whatever, I think they had a fantastic job where a guy was shark-suit tester. Looked like so much fun.

It was basically like a medieval chainmail that a diver wears and he's impervious to shark bites. They swam into a feeding frenzy and gave out fish at the bottom of the ocean to sharks by hand like some kind of Shark cafeteria. Sharks bit the divers a few times, clamped on but were easily shaken off.