PDA

View Full Version : Diver used chisel to fight off shark that swallowed his head

jolinar of malkshor
01-23-2007, 06:13 PM
A diver fought off a great white shark that crunched his head and shoulders in its jaws by attacking its eyes with a chisel.
Eric Nerhus, 41, was diving for abalone off the southern New South Wales coast when the three-metre great white struck. It took his head, shoulders and chest into its mouth and crushed his diving mask, smashing his nose.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2562365,00.html

Can you imagine? What the hell would be going through ones head? (other than the shark teeth of course).

icarus
01-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah it was all over the news here yesterday. Although they kept saying it was a white-tip shark which I guess is different from a great white? I don't know.

But yeah, he's lucky to be alive and good on him for fending it off. Reminds me of my friend who karate kicked the grizzly bear that attacked him a few years ago.

Flash Walken
01-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah it was all over the news here yesterday. Although they kept saying it was a white-tip shark which I guess is different from a great white? I don't know.

But yeah, he's lucky to be alive and good on him for fending it off. Reminds me of my friend who karate kicked the grizzly bear that attacked him a few years ago.

should've gone for the judo chop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lWuEO9PoGA)

jroc
01-24-2007, 12:13 AM
should've gone for the judo chop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lWuEO9PoGA)

"Oh crap!"

HAHAHAHA oh man!! that was absolutely hilarious... I'm sure that would have done the trick against a great white!

Igottago
01-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Reminds me of my friend who karate kicked the grizzly bear that attacked him a few years ago.

Holy crap...Who is your friend, the Incredible Hulk?

icarus
01-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Holy crap...Who is your friend, the Incredible Hulk?
It was on the board here a couple years ago: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1117500132846_33/?hub=CTVNewsAt11

icarus
01-24-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm watching the world exclusive interview with the shark victim on Australian 'A Current Affair'... his whole right arm was in its throat while it munched on his head. With his left arm he felt for its eye and poked it, causing it to open its mouth and to climb out.

He was in its mouth for two minutes! He had the regulator knocked out of his mouth so he had no air all the while. When he climbed out it bit him again, snapping his goggles and breaking his nose. Once out of its mouth, the shark still circled but he put the regulator back in his mouth so that he could ascend calmly without splashing around too much.

Daradon
01-24-2007, 01:51 AM
Interesting. You hear of shark attacks on surfers cause they look like seals in the 'prone' position swimming out. But not often on divers.

He knew what he was doing, they say if your getting attacked go for the eyes. Or slam the 'nose', but that seems hard to do with enough velocity in the water.

Tough bugger. Reminds me of the guy in Banff that fought of a grizzly after it attacked two germans and two aussies and had a taste for blood.

I guess people in the situations had home turf advantage.

Superflyer
01-24-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm watching the world exclusive interview with the shark victim on Australian 'A Current Affair'... his whole right arm was in its throat while it munched on his head. With his left arm he felt for its eye and poked it, causing it to open its mouth and to climb out.

He was in its mouth for two minutes! He had the regulator knocked out of his mouth so he had no air all the while. When he climbed out it bit him again, snapping his goggles and breaking his nose. Once out of its mouth, the shark still circled but he put the regulator back in his mouth so that he could ascend calmly without splashing around too much.
That is crazy that he was able to keep his composure that well. I would have been freaking out. I may have thought about the eye cause I heard that many times but once I was out I would have taken off quickly not even thinking about how the shark would be attracted to the splashing.