PDA

View Full Version : NCAA opens doors to Canada

JBR
01-09-2007, 10:54 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/article.jsp?content=20070109_112947_6852

I heard this on the Fan960 this morning. I can remember the day when Simon Fraser played in the NAIA conference. This one is up for discussion. Which CIS programs can you see as candidates for joining the NCAA, most likely at a Div. II or III level. I can't quite picture a Oklahoma Sooners vs. Calgary Dinos Fiesta Bowl quite yet!! :bag:

burn_baby_burn
01-09-2007, 11:53 AM
What would be the point. The Canadian schools don't fund athletics like the US schools. They will get their asses kicked.

Bobblehead
01-09-2007, 01:41 PM
That depends upon the sport. I had friends who played varsity volleyball and they took down UCLA in a tournament.

In the big $ sports I think you are correct, but some of the less visible sports it would be much more even.

troutman
01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
The CIS basketball champ should get an invite to March Madness (as a low seed).

Maybe the CIS hockey champ should go to the Frozen Four too.

KTown
01-09-2007, 06:57 PM

Are you kidding me???

Maybe hockey, but basketball, the CIS champ has no business being there, many good basketball teams out of Div 1 get left out because there are not enough spots.

They should play some Div 3 teams and see how they do, before trying them agaisnt the top Div 1 schools, actually it would be quite funny to see the blowout.

Flames in 07
01-09-2007, 07:41 PM

I'm not sure you understand the difference in caliber between CIS and NCAA athletics ... sans Hockey.

Vulcan
01-10-2007, 03:20 AM
In football and basketball Canadian schools will get beat badly. Anybody remember the Dinos football team playing Portland State? It wasn't nice. We can compete in hockey, volleyball and probably soccer and some track. We're at a big disadvantage since we don't give out the big athletic scholarships and have chosen to keep our emphasise on academics.

burn_baby_burn
01-10-2007, 09:56 AM
In football and basketball Canadian schools will get beat badly. Anybody remember the Dinos football team playing Portland State? It wasn't nice. We can compete in hockey, volleyball and probably soccer and some track. We're at a big disadvantage since we don't give out the big athletic scholarships and have chosen to keep our emphasise on academics.

A lot of the NCAA hockey players are canadian anyway.

604flames
01-10-2007, 11:27 AM
I can remember the day when Simon Fraser played in the NAIA conference. This one is up for discussion. Which CIS programs can you see as candidates for joining the NCAA, most likely at a Div. II or III level.
SFU still plays in the NAIA in several sports (soccer, softball, x-country to name a few). They have only been in the CIS for basketball and football since 2001, but with 0 wins in their last two football seasons, their football program isn't exactly the cream of the crop. Actually, there have been rumblings up here of a major shakedown, as apparently some of the alumni (Lions O-lineman Angus Reid comes to mind) are upset with the way the program is run. That said, the team is not well supported, there is no stadium on campus (unlike UBC) and the guys I know who play don't really enjoy talking about it much.

As for joining the NCAA, the last couple of seasons SFU and UBC have played exhibition games against D-1 schools. Arizona was up here this season, Kansas last season for instance.

troutman
01-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure you understand the difference in caliber between CIS and NCAA athletics ... sans Hockey.

Uhhh, yes I do. Might be interesting though to see how far behind the best team in Canada rates vs. a low NCAA seed. Or a lower division, like you say, would be more realistic. The gap may not be as big as you think.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NCAA/2004/09/30/649942.html

Canada is becoming an exotic pre-season destination for NCAA Division I men's basketball teams.

Because of a recent NCAA rule change prohibiting exhibition games against non-collegiate club teams, several U.S. college squads are making the trek to Canada this year to face CIS and CCAA programs.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2006/08/24/ncaa-thunderbirds.html

UBC's men's basketball team has played 10 exhibition games against NCAA schools in each of the past three seasons, going 4-6, and eight more exhibition games have been scheduled this season against Division 1 squads from Arizona, Fresno State, New Mexico State, Stanford and Wichita State.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061210093121AATBkGj

http://www.cisport.ca/e/m_basketball/story_detail.cfm?id=7481

Terrence Williams and Edgar Sosa each scored a game-high 13-points as the University of Louisville Cardinals topped the hometown uOttawa Gee-Gees 77-69 in exhibition basketball play Sunday at Montpetit Hall.

Josh Gibson-Bascombe paced the Gee-Gees, pouring in 13-points and hauling in five rebounds in a losing cause. He was the top point-getter for the Garnet and Grey on Saturday netting 21-points including the game-winning free throw with 8.1 seconds remaining in regulation time as Ottawa edged the LaSalle Explorers (Philadelphia, PA) 89-88.

http://www.universitysport.ca/e/m_basketball/story_detail.cfm?id=7480

On Saturday, the University of Louisville Cardinals (Big East-NCAA) defeated the Ravens 67-66 at the Ravens' Nest. The game was also played in front of a standing room sold out crowd which enjoyed a defensive struggle that lasted until Louisville's Juan Palacios scored the winning bucket with 1.2 seconds left.

KTown
01-10-2007, 12:22 PM
troutman,

its exhibition, you can bet your but that the starters rarely played.

Not to mention Louisville isn't exactly tearing up Div 1 this year and most likely has no chance at a shot at march madness.

Louisville is 10-5 and (0-1 in the big east).

Giving a low seed to a CIS team in march madness would be just stupid, as like I said before many good teams get left out because theres not enough spots allready.

I've never heard of Laselle, are they div 1?

troutman
01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
troutman,

its

???

KTown
01-10-2007, 12:26 PM
???

I hit enter by accident hence the edit LOL

killer_carlson
01-10-2007, 07:57 PM
the first thing that came to my mind was women's sports. I think this will really impact their games and provide some interesting opportunities (especially soccer).

I just wonder if Canadian schools can offer free ride scholarships like the US does, but without the typical American alumni support...

Table 5
01-10-2007, 08:27 PM
We're at a big disadvantage since we don't give out the big athletic scholarships and have chosen to keep our emphasise on academics.

I prefer to keep it that way. i'd rather see my tuition money go towards giving everyone a better education, than towards pumping up some jockohomo's ego. I've gone to a Canadian school and a high-profile (atleast in my field) American one, and the Canadian one was a way better bang for the buck.

JBR
01-12-2007, 09:35 AM

Ah, yes. The 55-0 drubbing.. How can one forget. The best part of that fiasco was the radio play-by-play IMO. Good road trip.