PDA

View Full Version : Best Live Sports Experience

Flames in 07
01-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm sitting here in Phx waiting for the BCS NC and thinking back over the fiesta bowl, I think I've slotted it third in terms of best sporting event seen live. My top 3 are now:

03 Fiesta Bowl: OSU vs Miami. Double Overtime for the NC
04 NHL Flames vs Wings, Rd 2 Game 6. That place just blew up when we scored in OT
07 Fiesta Bowl: BSU vs Okla

What's yours?

calgaryrocks
01-06-2007, 12:01 PM
my top would be the grey cup in vancouver in 2005, that was awsome and a great game.
#2 would be the roughnecks championship game in 2004 when they beat the buffalo team at pengrowth, my first lacrosse game
#3 would be the labour day stamps-eskimoes game this past season at mcmahon stadium

JiriHrdina
01-06-2007, 02:44 PM
When the WJCs were in Red Deer some time ago I saw one heckuva game in the Dome where Canada came back on the Czechs. The atmosphere was simply unreal.

Being there for the Flames' run was pretty cool too - particularly the mayheim that erupted on Gelinas' series ender against the Wings.

habernac
01-06-2007, 03:56 PM
1. Last game at the Montreal Forum. Two days previous was the first game I'd ever been to there. The atmosphere was unreal. The Rocket at centre ice crying through a 12 minute standing ovation. All the old Habs that were introduced, the passing of the torch through all the ex-captains, the crowd singing along with the deceased Roger Doucet for the national anthems. Awesome.

2. First game at the Molson (Bell) Centre. All the new banners raised to the roof. I couldn't get over the size of the place.

3. 2004 playoffs, Calgary comes back to tie the Canucks 4-4. Yeah, they lost in OT, but what a great comeback.

4. Seeing the Oilers win their first cup in 1984 over the hated Islanders. Still the loudest crowd noise I've ever heard.

5. Seeing the last ever no-hitter in crappy old Vet stadium in Philadelphia. A beautiful clear blue sky and Kevin Millwood no hits the Giants.

troutman
01-06-2007, 11:39 PM
The Running of the Bulls would be interesting.

Jiggy_12
01-07-2007, 12:04 AM
The Gelinas series ender agaisnt Detroit was special.

Same with the end of game 6 against San Jose in the WC semifinal.

I'd have to rank those 1-2.

To be perfrectly honest, the triple OT game 6 loss against Tampa Bay was cool too.

A triple OT playoff game was something I thought I'd never see in Calgary. Terrible ending, but a memory that I wont forget.

SpitFire40
01-07-2007, 12:09 AM
1. Making the playoffs vs Phoenix in 2004
2. Flames Winning the Conference vs San Jose
3. Gelinas scoring OT winner vs Detroit

My top 3

Dion
01-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Being at the Metrodome in Minneapolis as the Twins and Jack Morris beat the Braves in game 7 of the World Series in 1991.

The 89 Stanley Cup finals - Having tickets for all the games in the Saddledome. Of course the parade that came after we won.

The Flames triple OT loss to the Canucks in 04.

Canada Cup semifinal in 1984 where Bossy scored the OT winner to beat the Russians at the Saddledome.

Resolute 14
01-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Gelinas ending the Red Wings season.

The 1-0 win against Phoenix to clinch that playoff berth.

Medicine Hat vs Red Deer game 7 in the 2nd round about three years ago (think it was 2002 or 2003). About 800 Tiger fans bussed up - on a weeknight no less - for that game. They had people hanging off the rafters for that one.

Roughnecks vs Buffalo NLL Championship.

And, I am sad to say, Lightning over Flames in game 7. Win or lose, there is nothing in sports quite like a game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Vulcan
01-07-2007, 01:00 AM
When the WJCs were in Red Deer some time ago I saw one heckuva game in the Dome where Canada came back on the Czechs. The atmosphere was simply unreal.

I was there too and it was a great game. Another great game for me was watching my kid playing in the Calgary AA Bantam minor city championship. Nothing like the powerless but prideful feeling of being a hockey dad.

Sainters7
01-07-2007, 03:35 AM
I'm sitting here in Phx waiting for the BCS NC and thinking back over the fiesta bowl, I think I've slotted it third in terms of best sporting event seen live. My top 3 are now:

03 Fiesta Bowl: OSU vs Miami. Double Overtime for the NC
04 NHL Flames vs Wings, Rd 2 Game 6. That place just blew up when we scored in OT
07 Fiesta Bowl: BSU vs Okla

What's yours?

I hate your guts...

No seriously thats so cool youve been to all those games. I remember that OSU/Miami game, thats right when I started getting into college ball. Outstanding game! As for the other two, well that goes without saying those were amazing. Personally I wouldnt expect much of a barnburner for this OSU/Florida game. I think the Buckeyes are gonna light em up(though it would be cool to see the Gators pull out the win).

btw I see the only other time you were down in Phoenix for a BCS game(at least that you mentioned) was when the Buckeyes played the Canes for the NC. You a Buckeyes fan?

Anyways, as for mine, I havent been to NEAR the games you have, so my list is far less impressive. For me, some of the cooler ones would have to be:

Grey Cup 2000: Lions vs. Alouettes. Als pull it to within two in the dying seconds, but fail on the two point convert and Lions win.

Game 7, Hitmen vs. Swift Current(1998?). Back when the Flames sucked, so the barn was packed. Hitmen win 1-0 for their first ever playoff series win, and the place exploded. Felt like an NHL playoff atmosphere in there(well at least close)

Yankees/A's at Yankee Stadium, August '02. Wasnt really that memorable a game, more just I loved that I was there. 2-0 A's in bottom of the ninth, and Bernie Williams hits a beautiful shot to centre field to tie the game. I didnt know a baseball crowd could get that loud. Ends up going 16 innings in an A's win.

...as I said, not near as impressive. But the games you listed are some of the most memorable games in sporting history, so its a tough list to match. Props for you...

West Karma
01-07-2007, 07:55 AM
1. Red Deer vs Sylvan Lake - 2005 Tournament Game - my son gets his first shutout in a 7-0 win over a bunch of 9 year olds from the lake community.

2. Detroit @ Calgary - Game 6 of the 2004 Playoffs - (took us 2 hours to get out of the parking lot following the game. I can't believe how many of us were there)

3. Michigan vs USC - 1990 Rose Bowl Game - (103,000+ fans, being one of only 20,000 cheering for Michigan. Michigan lost but a blast to be there.)

4. Dodgers vs Mets - 1988 NLCS game 4 - Doc Gooden starts for the Mets - Kirk Gibson hits a homer in the top of the 12th inning - bottom of the 12th, the Mets load the bases, but the Dodgers hang on for a 5-4 win.

5. Calgary Flames @ Los Angeles Kings - Game 3 and 4 of the 1989 Playoffs - Road Trip with a buddy the literally started while driving back from the Saddledome after not being able to get tickets for Game 1. Drove to LA, had very little money, my buddy ends up talking to John Candy and Bruce McNall at Game 3 - Bruce gets us tickets for Game 4. The Flames sweep the Kings!!!

Heaton
01-07-2007, 11:05 AM
1. Game 4 Tigers vs. Athletics ALCS: Mags hits a walk-off home run to send the Tigers to the World Series.

2. Stevie's retriement

3. Game 2 of the World Series: Kenny Rogers pitches a gem for the Tigers only win in the WS.

White Snow Bear
01-07-2007, 11:59 AM
1. Playoff series in Uniondale, NY; Toronto @ Islanders. It was a game 6 Islander win, my buddy's took me who are Islander fans. Simply the loudest building i've ever been too, it's like a concrete Block and the fans were nuts. Dubbed fort neverlose for a reason, if you get a chance go see a game there in full capacity, go.

2. Heritage classic, simply amazing, i loved it. They need to do this more.

3. Flames 04 run win against Tampa game 6. Yehawwwwww

604flames
01-07-2007, 11:31 PM
April 30, 1994: I was only ten years old, but I remember Game 7 of the Canucks/Flames series like it was yesterday. Sat on the blue line way way up in the nosebleeds, still my only live NHL playoff game. I was so mad at the end...

October 17, 1997: The Avs score 4 goals on their first 4 shots, but the Flames win 6-5 in OT on a Michael Nylander goal. What a wild game!

March 31, 1999: Game 6, Ice vs. Hitmen, at the old Memorial Arena in Cranbrook. That rink only sat 1,703 (with standing room around the glass), but man I swear I felt the foundations shake when Jaroslav Svoboda scored the winner in overtime... Calgary had a great team that year too (Brad Moran, Pavel Brendl, Brad Stuart, etc...). Now if only we hadn't lost Game 7 8-3 at the 'Dome...

worth
01-08-2007, 07:28 AM
The Stamps/Als game last season where Sandro hit 2 50+ yard FG with under 1.5 min left to win the game was pretty good.

That and game 6 against detroit.

TimSJ
01-08-2007, 08:30 AM
for me it would have to be the playoff run to win the Caulder Cup for the Baby Flames... Even though our arena here only hold 6500 people the place was going crazy.

I was fortunate to be good friends with a couple of the guys on the team so the party afterward was fantasic as well.

burn_baby_burn
01-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Arizona Cardinals vs Minnesota Vikings, week 17 2003 season.

Thats the game the Cardinals scored a TD with only about a minute and a half left. Recovered the onside kick. Threw the winning TD on the last play from about the 30 yard line. Vikings were eliminated from the playoffs.

Sun Devil Stadium was full of Vikings fans. And the few Cardinals fans that were actually in attendance were taking a lot of heat from the cocky, arrogant Viking fans. It was hilarious watching the Vike fans leave that game knowing they lost to the worst team in the league and that the hated Packers had made the post season in their place.

Flames in 07
01-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Arizona Cardinals vs Minnesota Vikings, week 17 2003 season.

Thats the game the Cardinals scored a TD with only about a minute and a half left. Recovered the onside kick. Threw the winning TD on the last play from about the 30 yard line. Vikings were eliminated from the playoffs.

Sun Devil Stadium was full of Vikings fans. And the few Cardinals fans that were actually in attendance were taking a lot of heat from the cocky, arrogant Viking fans. It was hilarious watching the Vike fans leave that game knowing they lost to the worst team in the league and that the hated Packers had made the post season in their place.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that game, I was there as well. You could hear a pin drop when the ref was announcing the results of the replay review. About 40,000 people drove from MN to AZ.

Seabass
01-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Minnesota Vikings at Seattle Seahawks 2003 season.

The game where Shaun Alexander scored 5 TDS in the first half. Seattle was up 42-10 at half time, and all the Vikings fans went home. Pretty funny.

New York Yankees at Tampa Bay Devil Rays 2002 Season

Got to see Roger Clemens pitch. NY won the game 3-1.

Toronto Blue Jays at California Angels 1985 season.

Reggie Jackson and Rod Carew still played for California at the time.

looooob
01-08-2007, 11:53 AM

Being there for the Flames' run was pretty cool too - particularly the mayheim that erupted on Gelinas' series ender against the Wings.
yes i would definitely but that WJC game at the Dome near the top of my list

others

1. WJC in Winnipeg
2. Flames run of 04 (esp game 6 Detroit)
3. Finals 89, semis 86
4. BOA mid 80s several
5. Seeing Fernando pitch at Dodgers stadium circa 1984
6. Great pitching matchup mid 90s Pedro vs Greg Maddux, I believe on Andre Dawson retirement night
7. Jets final playoff series V detroit 96
8. Canada v Brazil soccer at Commonwealth
9. MLB allstar game 1982
10. Vanier cup 1987

Dion
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
This is not a game experience per say...........

Back in 1990 I bumped into hockey legend Bobby Hull who was signing autographs at a hockey card show in NE Calgary. Myself and a few others started chatting with him when the show was over ended up continuing the conversation over a few beers at the hotels pub. A real down to earth guy who liked to talk about the game and life after hockey.

Bench Warmer
01-08-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm probably going to forget the odd one here - and some are pretty 'local' - but here goes...

1. Rider games at Taylor Field - there's been lots of great ones over the years (that's the great thing about the CFL - lots of exciting games) and I know this is a Calgary board but Rider Nation at TF is crazy. I'll never forget 55,000 jamming TF to beat the Flutie led Stamps in '95 was a good one.

2. WJC Gold Medal game in Grand Forks in 2005.

3. Oilers and Dallas in 2001 playoffs I think. Oil was down 2-0 with a minute left to go and they tied it up with 6 seconds left. Place went bananas.

4. This'll sound funny but I've been to many a junior A game here in SK that has had great atmosphere. The train horn in Weyburn, SK rink is absolutely ridiculously loud. It makes the horn in the Saddledome sound like a bicycle bell. I remember the '93 SJ final when over 3,600 (rumoured close to 4,000) were packed into Melville Stadium for game 7 against Flin Flon. The fire marshalls did a review after the game and stated the legal capacity for the rink should be 2,400 - people were literally hanging from the rafters.

5. Playing Junior B hockey in small town SK when all through our run through the playoffs and to hosting (and winning) the Keystone Cup, our rink was packing in over 1,000 folks for many games - 1,400 for the Cup final.

Would have loved to been able to score tickets to a Flames playoff game in 2004. It felt like you were there watching it on TV. Memorable games for me were Game 6 in all of the first 3 series.

socalwingfan
01-08-2007, 07:34 PM
(1) 1st Game at Yankee Stadium - Sheffield and Giambi took Halladay deep for a 5 -3 victory
(2) Last Year Yanks vs Angels - Bernie Williams goes 4/5 with 2 homers and a double. Plus we were first row by the left field foul pole and Bernie played left that day.
(3) Flames vs Montreal '89 Stanley Cup Finals Home Game 1
(4) A Random Mariners vs Dodgers at Dodger stadium - bench clearing brawl and with Welcome to the Jungle blaring from the stadium speakers I felt like I was in the middle of a potential prison riot. It was insane!!

mrdeeds
01-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Game 5 in 1991 Smythe Division semi-final Edmonton 1, Calgary 3 at the Dome.

Calgary 38, Edmonton 36 in 1992 with the Magic Flutie sliding into the endzone for the win at Commonwealth.