PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Bowl - Wow

browna
01-01-2007, 10:41 PM
What a game going on right now.

Boise St, big underdog as a small school, leads at halftime. Goes up 17 points....slowly widdles away the lead, lets OU get a TD and a 2 point to tie it in the 4th...next play, and with under a minute to go, throws an INT to let OU go up by a TD.

Then, Boise goes on a 80 yd drive...a 4th and 18, and the rarely (but shouldn't be) hook and ladder to get a 50+yd TD with 7 sec left to go to tie. Incredible.

Going to OT right now.

Jiggy_12
01-01-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm happy I decided to watch this game. Amazing stuff.

browna
01-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Boise wins in OT!!! OH MY!
OU scores in OT first...then Boise is forced to 4th and 2....goes for the option pass to get the tying TD..and gets it!!

THEN they go for 2 point convert for the win.....and a rarely used statue of liberty play to get the 2 point convert!!!!

The best college football game I have seen, by far.

calf
01-01-2007, 11:01 PM
that was a phenominal game, and a phenominal ending. wow - the Statue of Liberty play...just wow!

Jiggy_12
01-01-2007, 11:05 PM
That play was just unfair. OU had no hope.

Best. game. ever.

browna
01-01-2007, 11:05 PM
The Jarome Iginla-look alike star for Boise (Ian Johnson) gets the 2 point convert...then proposes to his gf (the head cheerleader) on national TV.

RougeUnderoos
01-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Wow.

One day someone will make a movie about that game.

Flames in 07
01-01-2007, 11:23 PM
I just got back from the game, 2nd best sporting event I've ever seen.

If you ever wanted to rob a house, or a neighbourhood for that matter, go to Boise tonight ... the entire town is here in Arizona.

flames_1987
01-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Wow...I just saw the highlights. I turned the game off the play before the Boise state touchdown to tie it up in the 4th quarter with 20 or so seconds left. Dissapointing as hell

JayP
01-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Probably best football game I've ever seen.

This is exactly why college football is MUCH better than the NFL.

Sainters7
01-02-2007, 04:19 AM
Probably best football game I've ever seen.

This is exactly why college football is MUCH better than the NFL.

It probably would be, if the BCS wasnt so stupid. Instill an 8 or 16 team playoff system and I agree with you completely...but until then, hells no. The way they decide who plays for the NC title is a joke, Im sure you agree.

btw I hate hearing about how great today's game was...I watched the entire USC/Michigan Rose Bowl today, and after that I chose not to watch the Fiesta Bowl, as I had spent the past two days doing nothing but watching football, I needed a break. And now I hear the game I decided not to watch was arguably the greatest game in football history... :censored:

Flames in 07
01-02-2007, 09:20 AM
It probably would be, if the BCS wasnt so stupid. Instill an 8 or 16 team playoff system and I agree with you completely...but until then, hells no. The way they decide who plays for the NC title is a joke, Im sure you agree.

btw I hate hearing about how great today's game was...I watched the entire USC/Michigan Rose Bowl today, and after that I chose not to watch the Fiesta Bowl, as I had spent the past two days doing nothing but watching football, I needed a break. And now I hear the game I decided not to watch was arguably the greatest game in football history... :censored:

A 8 or 16 team playoff would ruin college ball. It has a playoff system, it's called the regular season. If BSU wants to compete for a NC, get out of the WAC and/or stop scheduling Sacremento State into its schedule.

There are other problems with a 8 or 16 team playoff, and that is the fact that with some rare exceptions these kids are students first, football players second. They generally schedule courses light in the fall then load up in the winter spring/summer semesters to catch up, your idea has them playing through January.

Lastly what most people up in Canada don't realize is that college football is not just about a NC, it's about winnning the conference. They only time you hear players complain is a little bit out of BSU last night and Utah in 04. And it is in the heat of the moment. But on any other day you can't tell me that BSU deserves a shot because they spent the fall rolling up on Wyoming, Idaho and New Mexico.

In today's system you have 33 teams who end the year winning a big game. Your idea would wreck that all because BSU played one good team this year so they need a chance.

Antithesis
01-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Nice post, Fi07 ... the BCS does not deserve the knocks it gets ... what is wrong with a system where you are far far more likely to get the Top 2 teams in the nation in the championship game than you are in the NCAA Men's Basketball tourney? I mean, really, George Mason was a good story last year but were they REALLY one of the Top 4 teams in the nation last year? No.

The "regular season" in college football IS the playoff system - you can't count on winning the national title if you lose a game. What's wrong with that?

JayP
01-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Great posts.

The BCS isn't perfect, but it's not as terrible as everyone leads you to believe. The regular season is the playoffs in college football and that makes the regular season actually have meaning all the way through-out. Think back to Ohio State/Texas in week 2 back in September. In the NFL or CFL it's just your game of the week, but in NCAA it's pretty much a playoff game. It makes the entire season worthwhile. Plus, the games between the best teams are the ones that mean the most unlike in the NFL/CFL where the great teams are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot and the games between the good, but not great teams are the ones that mean something (playoff berths). I like the fact that you not only have to be great, but you have to be consistent to be national champions. USC is a great team, but they just weren't consistent enough every week and were upset twice. LSU is in a similar situation - very talented team, but they just didn't bring their best every week.

My main complaint with the BCS is the usual complaint - lower tier conferences don't get much of a shot. With Utah winning the Fiesta in 2004 (over Pitt) and especially Boise State last night it shows that the top non-BCS teams are just as good as top BCS teams. Okalahoma was tenth in the BCS, but if they didn't get screwed over in the Oregon game they'd probably be #4 and crying fowl about getting excluded from the national championship like Michigan. It's easy to say that non-BCS schools should simply schedule tough non-conference games, but no one wants a piece of Boise State. Everything I've read says that BSU has tried their best to schedule a tough non-con schedule, but the only upper-tier school to accept was Georgia last year. After last night there's no way anyone wants a piece of BSU next year. Plus, why would teams like USC, OSU, Texas, OU, etc. bother scheduling BSU - the only result is allowing them to prove themselves as national championship material and potentially knock an established program out of a spot in the BCS title in a year like this year (where a 1-loss team went).

Antithesis
01-02-2007, 07:35 PM
I think Boise State's win last night will result in a bit more respect for the schools in the so-called 'mid-majors'. Boise State will certainly garner more respect but I do think they need to start scheduling some more heavies if possible. Granted, Jay, you're right, there's not a lot of upside in some of the major teams scheduling Boise State but what about Oklahoma? I'm sure they'd like a rematch. What about an Alabama or Georgia type? Alabama could gain from a victory over the Broncos as could Georgia ... it could help them make some noise about their victory over the Broncos being under-rated previously. I do think Boise State needs to get some more games in against the Top 25, and I'm sure they can find some willing partners.

I also think the extra BCS game they had this year (the Championship) will help some of the WACs and MWCs get in ... with more spots there will be less resistance to giving a less-established school a shot in the BCS.

Flames in 07
01-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Great posts.

The BCS isn't perfect, but it's not as terrible as everyone leads you to believe. The regular season is the playoffs in college football and that makes the regular season actually have meaning all the way through-out. Think back to Ohio State/Texas in week 2 back in September. In the NFL or CFL it's just your game of the week, but in NCAA it's pretty much a playoff game. It makes the entire season worthwhile. Plus, the games between the best teams are the ones that mean the most unlike in the NFL/CFL where the great teams are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot and the games between the good, but not great teams are the ones that mean something (playoff berths). I like the fact that you not only have to be great, but you have to be consistent to be national champions. USC is a great team, but they just weren't consistent enough every week and were upset twice. LSU is in a similar situation - very talented team, but they just didn't bring their best every week.

My main complaint with the BCS is the usual complaint - lower tier conferences don't get much of a shot. With Utah winning the Fiesta in 2004 (over Pitt) and especially Boise State last night it shows that the top non-BCS teams are just as good as top BCS teams. Okalahoma was tenth in the BCS, but if they didn't get screwed over in the Oregon game they'd probably be #4 and crying fowl about getting excluded from the national championship like Michigan. It's easy to say that non-BCS schools should simply schedule tough non-conference games, but no one wants a piece of Boise State. Everything I've read says that BSU has tried their best to schedule a tough non-con schedule, but the only upper-tier school to accept was Georgia last year. After last night there's no way anyone wants a piece of BSU next year. Plus, why would teams like USC, OSU, Texas, OU, etc. bother scheduling BSU - the only result is allowing them to prove themselves as national championship material and potentially knock an established program out of a spot in the BCS title in a year like this year (where a 1-loss team went).

My view is that lower teir teams don't DESERVE a shot ... hence the concept of 'lower teir'. If they don't like it, get into a higher teir conference. They have cupcake schedules the entire year so who knows if they are any good.

The reasons for Texas or OSU to schedule Boise State are the same reasons they used to schedule each other ... I think that is a bit of a cop out for BSU. If they want to be the cute team that wins a BCS game then great they are in the right spot, but if they want the credibility of being a NC contender then find your way into the PAC10.

Flames in 07
01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Great posts.

I just reread your post, the other thing I'd add is that 2004 didn't teach us anything. Utah didn't play a top BCS team, they played PITT, which was a average team at best in a conference that was mediocure across the board.

JayP
01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
My view is that lower teir teams don't DESERVE a shot ... hence the concept of 'lower teir'. If they don't like it, get into a higher teir conference. They have cupcake schedules the entire year so who knows if they are any good.

The reasons for Texas or OSU to schedule Boise State are the same reasons they used to schedule each other ... I think that is a bit of a cop out for BSU. If they want to be the cute team that wins a BCS game then great they are in the right spot, but if they want the credibility of being a NC contender then find your way into the PAC10.

It's a lot harder than you make it seem to just switch conferences. The only logical move geographically would obviously be to the Pac-10, but the Pac-10 seems perfectly content going along with 10 teams. Based on their domination of the WAC since 2000 it would seem logical for the Pac-10 in showing interest in BSU, but apparently not.

From what I've been reading on other message boards it sounds like the Pac-10 commisioner doesn't believe in change and there's very little chance that he's going to add another team anytime soon. I'm sure BSU would love to join the Pac-10, but it's not their decision to make.

And like I said before, BSU has aggressively tried to schedule tough non-conference games, but there's no takers.

Gugstanley
01-03-2007, 08:43 AM
It is just not as easy as you guys make it seem. BSU and Utah have tried scheduling tougher opponents. If they can get someone to accept it will only be a road game. Those big schools refuse to play home and home series.

If the BCS schools are truly better then put in a playoff system and lets see what happens. Having the BCS actually makes a two tier system because the BCS schools have more money, and better bowl..tv exposure.

I refuse to watch the BCS unless the system opens up and allows every team a shot.

Since it is so easy to get into the PAC 10 why don't one of you guys get BSU in before noon?

Flames in 07
01-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I didn't say it was easy, I said it was nessesary.

I refuse to seriously consider Utah and BSU until they find themselves are national championship caliber conference.

Gugstanley
01-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I refuse to seriously consider Utah and BSU until they find themselves are national championship caliber conference.

I hear what you are saying and have to agree with you for the most part. Utah needs to get into a better conference it is hard and sometimes boring watching some of the MWC teams.

That being said BSU is trying to join the MWC which would strengthen the conference on the football side. BSU, BYU, Utah TCU are all strong and occasionally Airforce and Colorado State look respectable.

moon
01-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I didn't say it was easy, I said it was nessesary.

That should rule out all Big East teams as well as that conference is garbage.

Flames in 07
01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
That should rule out all Big East teams as well as that conference is garbage.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

ratech
01-03-2007, 10:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/070102

Pretty good article.

Red Mile Style
01-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Holy crap!

I saw the game last night on Sportsnet, holy crap!

That last fake throw play for the win... unbelievable...

This was the first NCAA game I've ever seen, and I thought it was awesome.

KTown
01-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Holy crap!

I saw the game last night on Sportsnet, holy crap!

That last fake throw play for the win... unbelievable...

This was the first NCAA game I've ever seen, and I thought it was awesome.

You don't know what your missing NCAA college football is amazing. I hope you watch more.

I missed the Fiesta Bowl game,

I was at the Citrus Bowl game in Orlando. The place was jumping with Wisconsin faithful, they easily outnumbered the Arkansas fans.

http://www.boomspeed.com/ktown13/100_0965.JPG